Using cash, not credit card

I see on here that people talk about having holds and authorizations placed on your credit card. I was wondering, can you use cash? When we get on the ship I was planning on putting money down on my seapass card instead of giving them a credit card. You can do this, right? I never see anyone mention giving cash to them so I just want to make sure.......thanks

I see on here that people talk about having holds and authorizations placed on your credit card. I was wondering, can you use cash? When we get on the ship I was planning on putting money down on my seapass card instead of giving them a credit card. You can do this, right? I never see anyone mention giving cash to them so I just want to make sure.......thanks

Yes I understand you can. You can pre purchase an onboard credit as well I think. As soon as you get on even if you have a card on file you can take cash to guest relations and put a credit on your room.

Even if you do use a card you can take cash and pay it down each day. We have done that several times so even if a hold goes on it will be minimal.

We always get a printout of statement as we do this to make sure there are no errors along the way and check our receipts off on a daily basis.

Remember you can pre purchase drinks packages and excursions speciality dining etc. that way you know what you are spending and might not be so surprised at the end of the cruise how quickly it adds up;)!

Actually you don't have to put anything down initially. They'll front you $500.00. When you get close to that amount you'll be contacted to pay it down.

Here's another suggestion........we always use a credit card to set up and hold our account. On the evening before the last day (a lot less crowded) we go down to Guest Services and pay off our account. Then the only charges to the credit card may be a couple of drinks on the last day. No credit card bill and no running down to put more on a cash account or worry about running out of money.

Hope this helps....

If you are using a credit card, authorizations do NOT affect your spending power. If you are using a debit card, "holds" will affect what you have available to spend.

I'd advise using cash, rather than a debit card...it's the same thing, but they don't put "holds" on cash!

We used cash only and had no problems. When you check in at the pier they will direct you to guest services to put cash down. When you do your online check in indicate cash account. No credit card or debit card needed.

Everyone has different preferences. There are options.

If you are using a credit card, authorizations do NOT affect your spending power. If you are using a debit card, "holds" will affect what you have available to spend.

I'd advise using cash, rather than a debit card...it's the same thing, but they don't put "holds" on cash!

Unfortunately the pre-auths sent by RCI do impact your remaining credit card line and therefore the amount you can spend. Granted it will only impact your spending power if you are close to your credit card limits.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes I understand you can. You can pre purchase an onboard credit as well I think.

Purchasing OBC prior to boarding is very easy, and would allow you to carry less cash during your travels. Just call Royal Caribbean at (800) 722-5443. Have your booking number and cc handy, and be sure to ask for an email confirmation. The item number for OBC is #651 if needed. Any OBC left over is fully refundable, just see Guest Services.

We've had great success with the pre-purchased obc. You just tell them at the pier that you will be paying cash for your obc and you don't have to give them your credit card number.

We waited a couple of days for the excitement to die down and checked the account in our stateroom to ensure the OBC was there, and it was. The night before arriving back home, we went to guest services and were able to "cash out" whatever pre-paid OBC we didn't use. This is only possible for anything you've put down -- not anything the cruiseline gives you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ann