HAL Compared with Princess

Drews_Cruise

I've slept on a Hal mattress and I've done Princess many times too. Just got off the sapphire on Saturday and I think my mattress was every bit as comfortable as Hal's. In the past I would have agreed with you. My mattress at home is way more comfortable than Hal's and it's about 10 years old. Makes me wonder what people are sleeping on at home.

Like I mentioned, Princess is in the process of replacing mattresses. You obviously got a new one. The one you slept on while on HAL must have been one of their older ones. HAL is known for trying to provide good mattresses, although I'm sure some slip through the cracks, or are ready to be replaced. If you read the Princess boards, Princess is famous for having bad mattresses. People sometimes carry on their own toppers!

Princess' eggshell toppers are close to worthless, IMHO. The first one we had, was worn thin---it should have been thrown out.

I would guess HAL is supposed to be a tad better than Princess in the minds of corportate...thus the rationale for HAL requiring a higher corkage. Otherwise, they'd be the same. HAL has to look just a little more elite!

We have sailed Alaska on Princess, HAL and NCL. All were great cruises.

We love the friendly crew of HAL and larger cabins.

We left Princess because of MUTS -- most of the larger cabins are under that and we wish to have quiet in the day and night. Also we thought at that time their food was getting bad.

Last summer we did two Alaska cruises: Southbound on Diamond Princess, one night in Vancouver, then Northbound on HAL Zaandam.

We definitely preferred the Diamond Princess. It was nicer, cleaner, with better food and service. But more importantly for us, Princess did a much better job with the Alaska experience. There was a full time onboard naturalist who gave talks, narrated important scenic areas, and announced wild-life sightings. And surprisingly, the larger Princess ship went much closer to the glaciers. We like both HAL and Princess, but in this case, Princess was far superior.

Both have advantages, Princess ships maybe slightly more impeccably kept, itinerary's on HAL are often more diverse. But there is just something about HAL,a traditional feeling on their ships, the Crows Nest is a huge plus, especially in cooler climates..MUTS...well its often very cool in the evening air at sea ,for sitting out for a movie..As others have said HAL beds are heaven...but you can have the "Egg Crate covers on Princess, I took my own last time, light and easy, and worthwhile on a long journey...The smoking policy on HAL is antiquated and is such an unfortunate mistake, as smokers...sorry... are a minority theses days. Either one will be wonderful...Enjoy.

Actually the smoking policy is one of the reasons I asked this question. We are planning the Alaska trip with smokers and they will not cruise unless they can smoke on their balcony. Due to this antiquated policy, we may actually be able to get our friends on a ship again. Having said that, I'm sure the policy will change soon for the sake of the majority. In the meantime, I will continue to encourage them to give up the habit so that they are more likely to have better health for a longer time.smileys-smoking-853742.gif

We like both. I've sailed more on Princess--and I do appreciate the free Internet minutes I get. It's great that both are part of Carnival Corp. for the shareholder credit.

Last year we did a 7-night cruise on the Veendam. My biggest disappointment was the cutbacks to the cruise director's staff and entertainment. I'd never been on a cruise where the production show cast included just two female dancers and no male ones.

I enjoy the culinary arts center on HAL and the events they have in it. I even got DH to do a cooking class.

We sailed in December for 8 nights on the Ruby Princess. The food in the main dining room is a tie for me. I can usually find something good to order. I like that Princess has more food options available. Sometimes on HAL we've been between meals when we come back to the ship and there are no great options immediately available.

Our next cruise will be on Princess in 10 days. I looked at HAL ships but could not find a cruise that worked out well with cheap airfare.

Princess has mini shows in the atrium, which I like. Princess also give a military OBC up to $100 to $250.

All of the Carnival lines (including HAL & Princess) offer the Military OBC as well as the Shareholder Benefit OBC.

I was on Princess two years ago to Alaska. It was early July. I was shocked at how many people actually sat out in the cold and watched MUTS. I am a wimp and chose not to do that. All these people eating popcorn and wrapped up in blankets watching a moving was a little humerous. I guess if you are a huge movie buff, a little cold won't bother you.

I can not compare with HAL yet. Haven't been on HAL yet. But I will be soon.

Movies under the stars is one of the things that Princess cruisers like, however, it is not my thing. It is not something that would attract me to that cruise-line for sure. Night time movies are a delight but the daytime volume is annoying.

Like I mentioned, Princess is in the process of replacing mattresses. You obviously got a new one. The one you slept on while on HAL must have been one of their older ones. HAL is known for trying to provide good mattresses, although I'm sure some slip through the cracks, or are ready to be replaced. If you read the Princess boards, Princess is famous for having bad mattresses. People sometimes carry on their own toppers!

Princess' eggshell toppers are close to worthless, IMHO. The first one we had, was worn thin---it should have been thrown out.

I would guess HAL is supposed to be a tad better than Princess in the minds of corportate...thus the rationale for HAL requiring a higher corkage. Otherwise, they'd be the same. HAL has to look just a little more elite!

I have about 75 days on Princess and almost 300 on Hal so I think I'm pretty qualified to compare both lines. Hal beds are fine but they simply aren't the piece of heaven some folks make them out to be. I believe in setting reasonable expectations for people so they won't be disappointed with what seems to be hype. This is my opinion and you certainly don't need to agree or respond. You were the one that said once you've slept on a Hal bed you won't go back to Princess. That is simply not true.

Edited by cruz chic

The Military OBC is different on the different lines with Princess having the most inclusive one. My husband qualifies for the Princess OBC as a veteran even though he was honorably discharged a couple of months short of 2 years to go to college. The Princess OBC is available on every sailing. I think HAL offers discounts on select sailings only to active duty military.

I have been on several Princess cruises and several HAL cruises. My first preference is Princess. However, if it is an Alaskan Cruise, I prefer HAL. They stop in Sitka, I think they are the only ones. To me, Sitka is the best Alaskan port.

I have been on several Princess cruises and several HAL cruises. My first preference is Princess. However, if it is an Alaskan Cruise, I prefer HAL. They stop in Sitka, I think they are the only ones. To me, Sitka is the best Alaskan port.

Interesting fact, Thank-you, I will look for that.

Other than the beds (sorry Princess, you lose), the difference I notice the most between HAL and Princess is that HAL has fewer entertainment options at night. I enjoy being out and about the ship at night but I'm not a gambler. HAL is the only cruiseline I've sailed where I actually couldn't find anything going on and finally gave in, went back to my cabin, and watched a DVD.

It didn't happen every night, but it wouldn't be how I normally choose to spend an evening while cruising.

I SO agree! I think Sitka is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

I love the idea of MUTS but in reality we've never found time to actually watch it! Part of this is with young kids they need to be in bed by the time kids club closes AND the earlier evening screenings either clash with dinner or the show. Its a great thing but we just never seem to find time!

You'll find HAL very similar except for MUTS and the wine policy. Hal has a tendency to be slightly older demographic but that's relative.

The average Princess passenger, Fleetwide, Worldwide, Year around, is 58 years old.

The average HAL passenger, Fleetwide, Worldwide, Year around, is 57 years old.

We are considering a cruise to Alaska in 2015 and we are huge Princess fans. We like the consistency of the product and things like Movies under the Stars, the wine policy etc. We would like to try HAL for this one though. What is it that you like most about HAL?

We have cruised on HAL but way more on Princess.

Both Princess and HAL have been doing Alaskan cruises for a long time and can go some places other cruise lines can't.

For ALASKA we would give equal consideration to Princess and HAL ... and pick the itinerary that suits us best.

LuLu

~~~

Our first cruise 10 years ago was on the Coral Princess, and we had a beautiful balcony cabin, wonderful food, and terrific service. We thought we would be Princess fans forever, especially on the <2000 passenger ships. BUT, when we took a cruise on HAL's Oosterdam the following year, and had a balcony cabin with a very spacious bathroom (the tub/shower combo), DH was completely sold on HAL. We love the size of the Vista class ships (Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam), and we've sailed each of them with delight. The service and food quality are great, and we love having "full-service" room service breakfasts to save us time on shore excursion days. We continue to look at various Princess itineraries, but the price of a mini-suite (offering the larger bathroom), compared to the price of a standard balcony cabins on HAL, is always higher -- and most of the Princess ships have many more passengers, too. Our preference is HAL.

For me personally, the volume of MUTS is ear-splitting and deafening. I avoid it.

Last year I did an extended cruise with Princess - 49 days - and only through repeated requests was I able to get the volume turned down below deafening. Funny thing I observed, completely unscientifically, was that as the volume went down, the attendance went up. Guess I wasn't the only one bothered by the deafening sound levels.

We have taken a couple of Princess cruises after accumulating close to four star status on HAL. Princess is quite nice. On both lines you will find very loyal passengers, but Princess passengers are more vehement in their loyalty. They think of Princess of providing the best value.

I see it as both lines charging approximately the same fares - each has sales, different OBC offers, etc.

If you think of both having about the same budget on the ship - they simply spend their money differently.

Based solely on our experience, which is limited, I can point out all kinds of differences I have found but it would be too exhaustive a list.

The simple difference is Princess will provide a more active cruise while HAL is more traditional. Princess will provide more variety, but HAL will be a half to full step better in the details of any given function. More variety of food and venues on Princess vs. simply better quality of food and prep on HAL (surf and turf on Princess is prawns, HAL is lobster tail). Much more variety of entertainment on Princess vs. slightly better production shows and intimate entertainment on HAL. You cannot get bored at night on Princess. Many many more activities on Princess since they have a huge CD staff while HAL has cut it to only four or five. Pop up activities all the time on Princess vs. formalized classes on HAL. Princess library is a joke, and HAL dedicates a lot of space and terminals, but Princess Atrium is an exciting place that is always hopping with shops, food and entertainment. Princess has nice cabins and getting new larger TV screens, but on HAL cabins are larger and you have a large bathroom with room in the shower, because of the tub. The ongoing joke on Princess is that you can never fall down in the shower - only spin in the shower stall.

On Princess the CD will joke about the age of HAL passengers, but we saw just as many scooters on Princess as HAL. Give the elders credit for traveling regardless of the difficulty!

We like them both. Our next trip on HAL will get us to Four Star. Then we will start working towards Elite on Princess....

We have taken a couple of Princess cruises after accumulating close to four star status on HAL. Princess is quite nice. On both lines you will find very loyal passengers, but Princess passengers are more vehement in their loyalty. They think of Princess of providing the best value.

I see it as both lines charging approximately the same fares - each has sales, different OBC offers, etc.

If you think of both having about the same budget on the ship - they simply spend their money differently.

Based solely on our experience, which is limited, I can point out all kinds of differences I have found but it would be too exhaustive a list.

The simple difference is Princess will provide a more active cruise while HAL is more traditional. Princess will provide more variety, but HAL will be a half to full step better in the details of any given function. More variety of food and venues on Princess vs. simply better quality of food and prep on HAL (surf and turf on Princess is prawns, HAL is lobster tail). Much more variety of entertainment on Princess vs. slightly better production shows and intimate entertainment on HAL. You cannot get bored at night on Princess. Many many more activities on Princess since they have a huge CD staff while HAL has cut it to only four or five. Pop up activities all the time on Princess vs. formalized classes on HAL. Princess library is a joke, and HAL dedicates a lot of space and terminals, but Princess Atrium is an exciting place that is always hopping with shops, food and entertainment. Princess has nice cabins and getting new larger TV screens, but on HAL cabins are larger and you have a large bathroom with room in the shower, because of the tub. The ongoing joke on Princess is that you can never fall down in the shower - only spin in the shower stall.

On Princess the CD will joke about the age of HAL passengers, but we saw just as many scooters on Princess as HAL. Give the elders credit for traveling regardless of the difficulty!

We like them both. Our next trip on HAL will get us to Four Star. Then we will start working towards Elite on Princess....

Every Princess cruise I have been on has lobster? Have you done very short cruises with them?

Every Princess cruise I have been on has lobster? Have you done very short cruises with them?

Yes, I've only see Lobster as their surf and turf on Princess as well but it seems the differences between the two lines are consistently mentioned by everyone. They both sound like great cruise lines so I think we will enjoy the first cruise on HAL. Now to pick an Alaskan itinerary and ship. This has been very helpful information everybody.

Yes, I've only see Lobster as their surf and turf on Princess as well but it seems the differences between the two lines are consistently mentioned by everyone. They both sound like great cruise lines so I think we will enjoy the first cruise on HAL. Now to pick an Alaskan itinerary and ship. This has been very helpful information everybody.

I think you will be happy. One question I always ask people is "are you self entertaining"? Hal is more sedate than Princess for sure. That said, I've noticed Princess has become more sedate as of late. It didn't seem there was as much to do on sea days on my last cruise (feb22/14). I was ok with it.

Edited by cruz chic