Carnivalization of Celebrity??

Seapoint

Just off the Celebrity Reflection. So much about the cruise was excellent: the stunning ship, consistently superior food, spotless cleanliness, friendly service, officers, crew. So many people working so diligently to provide a first class "modern luxury" experience.

Unfortunately, there was also a big and easily resolved concern.

Around the main pool, the "music" of the Miami DJs was unacceptably LOUD! So loud at sail-away that one could not even hear a person standing right next to one.So loud that one's whole body vibrated. So loud that the speakers distorted the sound. The issue is not so much the kind of music, as its volume. It rendered the main pool area unusable.

Likewise, the party band Vibe was so loud in the foyer as to render the core of the ship unusable. They disturbed people in the Library, Hideaway, Game Room, Martini Bar, Cellar Masters, Bistro, Cafe Bacio, Passport Bar, Guest Relations, Elevator lobbies etc.

Miami DJs and Vibe would be great in a separate venue, such as Sky lounge or Qasar. Let those who like it come to those venues. The issue was that this was inflicted on a majority of the passengers who did not pay their hard earned money to be subjected to this new un-Celebrity-like experience.

Now here is the really scary part.:eek:

I attended the Cruise Critic gathering, along with 60 or 70 others, and several ships officers. When the issue of the loud music was raised by several guests, the Cruise Director explained that the Reflection, as the flagship, was leading the way introducing a new entertainment concept, which would be taken fleet wide! The key was a shift in the demographic profile of their target guests, from 50s to 30-something. The loud music reflected this new direction. Apparently someone in Miami thinks that ultra-loud music = 30 something demographic!

There was a lot of dissenting discussion. During the course of this the Cruise Director made it very clear that if the loyal, traditional Celebrity customer did not like this direction, they should find another line to cruise :eek:

I love the Celebrity experience, and have done some 20 cruises with them. I see this as the Carnivalization of the brand! Given that they already own Royal Caribbean, which appeals to a younger demographic, I do not see the business sense in taking Celebrity in this direction, and upsetting their large established loyal base of customers.

I would be interesting in hearing from other Cruise Critic members who were at that infamous CC gathering.

While I am sick of these threads... Your complaints are one of the reasons we choose Celebrity. We are DINK thirty somethings. So I guess it is working.

Hi all,

We want to ensure that everyone is enjoying the music on our ship, and we never want to have music that is too loud, or too low. We have looked into the issue, and we will make sure that the volume is corrected on all of our ships. This process may take a few days, but rest assured we have passed on your feedback and want to provide the best cruising experience for all of our guests.

Thank you!

I'm fresh off the Summit.

On our first day we met a veteran couple who specifically said that the one thing they didn't like about Celebrity is that the music was barely audible on the pool deck. We are young 30-somethings and we also felt that the music was too low on the pool deck, but only on that particular day. There was definitely someone playing with the volume knob because the music became progressively louder each day that the cruise went on. It never got to the point of being too loud in our opinion and felt it fit the mood on the pool deck.

However, the music in the Martini bar around dinner time was definitely a few notches too high. We took our drinks to go, either to Michaels or to the side of the ship to watch the water.

As for the variety of music, we were pleasantly surprised. It definitely fit into the "don't offend anyone" category that I don't really like, but it wasn't bad. The live performers, however, all catered to the older generation and sang the same old songs we've heard a million times which are boring and dull. Does the pianist really need to play Piano Man every night? Is a solo rendition of Somewhere over the Rainbow a cruise staple? Gag me.

Hi all,

We want to ensure that everyone is enjoying the music on our ship, and we never want to have music that is too loud, or too low. We have looked into the issue, and we will make sure that the volume is corrected on all of our ships. This process may take a few days, but rest assured we have passed on your feedback and want to provide the best cruising experience for all of our guests.

Thank you. The main reason we continue to sail on Celebrity is the great customer service.

.....I don’t claim to know the cruising business BUT in my mind:

*Carnival, Royal, NCL do fine with 30-somethings.

*Celeb and Holland cater to a more seasoned crowd that doesn't have the desire or budget to go Crystal......

I am a newcomer to cruising and I'm trying to determine which cruise line would be best suited to me and my wife's preferences (we are both in our early 30's with no children, and neither of us have been on a cruise before)).

I know Jediknight was giving his opinion, but would other people agree with that assessment?

Also, which category would Princess fall into, the same category as RCL, NCL with a younger customer base, or Celebrity and HAL which caters to an older crowd?

Your input in helping us differentiate between the different cruise lines would be greatly appreciated. As I said, we're trying to decide which would be best for us.

Edited by 6Maxxx9

As a newbie to both cruising and this board, is this generally true? I know Jediknight was giving his opinion, but would other people agree with that assessment?

Also, which category would Princess fall under, the same category as RCL, NCL with a younger customer base, or Celebrity and HAL which caters to an older crowd?

As I said I am a newcomer to cruising and I'm trying to determine which cruise line would be best suited to me and my fiance's preferences, so any input would be most appreciated.

Of course you understand that these are broad generalizations. RCL, NCL feature activities that attract younger crowds and families, (water slides, rock climbing, Dreamworks/Spongebob characters, etc.) Doesn't mean that older cruisers can't enjoy RCL or NCL or that younger cruisers wouldn't enjoy Celebrity or HAL.

Princess would be more towards the Celebrity and HAL category. Each of these 3 has their own unique style and features but they are more alike than different.

6MAXXX9,

If i were to place the major cruise brands on a spectrum from Active/Youthful to Sedate/Mature, IMO I would list them as follows:

Carnival

Costa

NCL

Royal Caribbean

Princess

Celebrity

Cunard

Holland American

That is why there has been such a fuss about the very loud music on the 2/22 sailing of the Reflection! It is out of character for the "modern Luxury" Celebrity brand. In the past, Celebrity was in the sweet spot between the active, noisy brands and the traditional, sedate brands.

Edited by Seapoint

6MAXXX9,

If i were to place the major cruise brands on a spectrum from Active/Youthful to Sedate/Mature, IMO I would list them as follows:

Carnival

Costa

NCL

Royal Caribbean

Princess

Celebrity

Cunard

Holland American

That is why there has been such a fuss about the very loud music on the 2/22 sailing of the Reflection! It is out of character for the "modern Luxury" Celebrity brand. In the past, Celebrity was in the sweet spot between the active, noisy brands and the traditional, sedate brands.

I agree 100%. We will be going on our 60th Cruise April 5th, loved them all. A lot has changed my first Cruise was in 1971 (I was 18). We like the guests and the ships best on Celebrity miss the grand old ships like the Norway. Bring back the steel drums on the pool deck!!

Edited by southernbreezes
add text

I miss the Norway as well - she was a great ship - so much like sailing on the ocean liners of old (at least how I envisioned them to be:)).

I started sailing when I was 30 (and sailing Celebrity when I was 40ish). I can honestly say that for the most part I like now (at 62) what I liked then - quiet elegance, a choice of music, decent entertainment, and great service and food. I wish Celebrity would realize that people in their 30's and 40's (what I perceive as their current target demographic) enjoy a lot of the same things as those 60+. As long as there is one venue playing current music selections, everyone should be satisfied. I love all kinds of music. It's a kick to sit and listen to the swing music from the 40's even though I was not alive then. I was too young to remember much about the 50's music, but I enjoy listening to that too. Same for Latin music even though I am of other heritage, and the list goes on.

There's no reason why X can't cater to all age groups. When I was in my 20's, I loved GOOD modern music, but not Modern music which was painfully loud. I'm in my 60's now and still like modern music; I have lots of it on my iPod. Why not have good modern music on the ship, along with other types of music, but don't have the volume in any venue so painfully loud that it infringes on the enjoyment of passengers who may not be in the same age group? How would the 20 and 30 somethings feel if the ship blasted 1950's or 1960's music so loud by the pool or in the atrium that this was all you could hear anywhere on the ship? I think it's great to cater to the younger generation on the ships, but consideration should also be given to other groups, as well, who have also paid a premium price for a pleasant vacation. Many of the 45+ year olds have been loyal X customers, have disposable income, and still have many years of cruising left.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the point made by many posters that it is ok and in fact desirable for Celebrity to provide many types of music.

The key point here is that it is not ok to have mega-volume in the common public areas, such as the pool and the central foyer. You should not be forcing it on captive passengers, who signed up for an elegant, upscale, modern luxury vacation. After all, Celebrity even takes pride in creating such an atmosphere by limiting public announcements.

I fully agree Celebrity needs to modernize its entertainment..the show on the first night, the captains toast, the Broadway song & dance shows are old, old, old! Fresh thinking is called for. However, just raising the volume is an uncreative cop-out :rolleyes:

I completely agree with this guy! My friends and I are mid 20s and we want nothing to do with the cheap and disney like cruises such as carnival. Just because the music has been too loud lately (I have heard such complaints on many threads) doesnt mean next they are going to add zip lines and bumper cars. They are trying to change it so their cruise line can be enjoyed by anyone at anytime. I only go on spring break these days to ensure a younger crowd. I think they are the best cruise line out there and I will be sailing next week and i think the $6ks just for the room was well worth it no matter how loud the music! They are the cleanest cruise line with service that is unmatched in the industry. They need to start focusing on a younger generation as the time goes on. And I cant say this about everyone but the older crowd tends to be very tight with their money which is good but also hurts their business when offering extras like specialty dinning and such. I have noticed that a lot of the younger crowd opts for things like this and dont mind spending the extra money. I do not think they are trying to be like carnival they clearly charge ten times what they do and people still pack the ships time and time again. I will report back what I think when i return from my trip in a week or so on the Reflection.

Wow what a statement ! Disney is fun and very expensive LOL LOL

Edited by alinnj

As for the variety of music, we were pleasantly surprised. It definitely fit into the "don't offend anyone" category that I don't really like, but it wasn't bad. The live performers, however, all catered to the older generation and sang the same old songs we've heard a million times which are boring and dull. Does the pianist really need to play Piano Man every night? Is a solo rendition of Somewhere over the Rainbow a cruise staple? Gag me.
Why do the performers play those songs? Because people ask for them every night! Believe me most piano players would love to never have to play "Piano Man" again in their career. They hate it more than anyone else! But if people ask for it, they have to play it. Even though they played it the night before and the night before and the night before that. The person who requested it probably wasn't there all those nights.

Enjoy

Ron

Just reported today on another thread that the latest Modern Luxury innovation is to discontinue the Grand Buffet brunch! :eek:

Last time we did this it was a total mess with people pushing to get food !:eek:

Very few places to sit !

IMO Glad to see it go!

Just reported today on another thread that the latest Modern Luxury innovation is to discontinue the Grand Buffet brunch! :eek:

I thought the poster said it was being discontinued because of the time it takes to set it up, the waste and the unenthusiastic response from the cruisers. When did Celebrity say it had anything to do with Modern Luxury?

Quote from BobbyD: At the Galley Tour on our recent Silhouette cruise, the Food and Beverage Manager said that it has been discontinued (at least on the Silhouette) due to the time and energy it takes to produce the buffet, in comparison to the enthusiasm for the event. He also mentioned waste and that it is tough to regulate the health and safety issues of the food and its prep.

Amazing how everything is being blamed on Modern Luxury, even though it has nothing to do with it. Next thing we will hear, is that Modern Luxury is to blame for no limes, the weather and everything else that someone feels they don't like on a cruise.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I've never thought of the brunch as anything more than a temporary imitation of the buffet upstairs with couple ice sculptures added in. don't think much of the offerings are that much different than anything on the buffet. Better quality food would probably be available if they focused on one venue instead of 2 for the breakfast crowd.

And I hate standing waiting for my toast to toast ...! Breakfast, someone please make it and deliver it to me...!

NLH Arizona, "Modern Luxury" is the overall brand positioning for Celebrity. I actually believe it is a very smart positioning which differentiates Celebrity from the other cruise lines. All aspects of the cruise experience should reflect that positioning. So the demise of the Grand Brunch effects the "Modern Luxury" experience. It is yet another cut.

If you believe this was primarily done to reduce the work load of the crew, then Celebrity has a bridge to sell to you!

Edited by Seapoint

NLH Arizona, "Modern Luxury" is the overall brand positioning for Celebrity. I actually believe it is a very smart positioning which differentiates Celebrity from the other cruise lines. All aspects of the cruise experience should reflect that positioning. So the demise of the Grand Brunch effects the "Modern Luxury" experience. It is yet another cut.

If you believe this was primarily done to reduce the work load of the crew, then Celebrity has a bridge to sell to you!

Where did I say it had anything to do with reducing the work load of the crew. The crew is still going to have to serve the passengers, whether in the MDR or buffet, so it would not cut down on their work load. So you can keep that bridge you are wrongly trying to sell me! It will cut down on the waste of food, which I'm sure was tremendous (not only the food some took and never ate, but the leftover food that had to be thrown away as well). And obviously most passengers were not enthusiastic enough to keep Celebrity doing it.

I think Celebrity is doing great with the Modern Luxury concept and I love the direction they are going...more upbeat, more hip. Modern Luxury, as they have described it, is a mindset and has nothing to do with anyone's age; just for people of any age that want to enjoy a cruising experience and have some fun.

I hope there aren't too many changes and 'cuts'… I don't want to change from our preferred cruise line.

Personally, I don't like the super loud music and I am in the "new demographic". I enjoy the live music and ambiance of that. Although the grande buffet is crowded, the sculptures are great.

No one will ever be completely happy… and we will find something to gripe about, but hopefully we will all continue to enjoy cruising the high seas!

Where did I say it had anything to do with reducing the work load of the crew. The crew is still going to have to serve the passengers, whether in the MDR or buffet, so it would not cut down on their work load. So you can keep that bridge you are wrongly trying to sell me! It will cut down on the waste of food, which I'm sure was tremendous (not only the food some took and never ate, but the leftover food that had to be thrown away as well). And obviously most passengers were not enthusiastic enough to keep Celebrity doing it.

I think Celebrity is doing great with the Modern Luxury concept and I love the direction they are going...more upbeat, more hip. Modern Luxury, as they have described it, is a mindset and has nothing to do with anyone's age; just for people of any age that want to enjoy a cruising experience and have some fun.

Actually doing away with the buffet is Modern Luxury. Buffets have gone the way of the dinosaur. ;)

6MAXXX9,

Carnival

Costa

NCL

Royal Caribbean

Princess

Celebrity

Cunard

Holland American

You are 1000% on target

Regarding the loud music ,we had it blaring from the Atrium all the way up the elevator shafts . It is more than annoying :mad:.

We are Elite + & if Celebrity doesn't want us ,then we can accommodate them & sail on Holland or Cunard or even Princess (as long as they don't follow suit) ;).

We all have choices & I see changes in Celebrity that are rubbing me the wrong ways .Greed is one of their major changes:eek: