Carnivalization of Celebrity??

Seapoint

Hope the Celebrity folks at the Dallas event will be able to address this issue, and confirm whether or not this loud music is the official new policy on Celebrity, as said by the CD on Reflection.

Well good luck to them and their 30-something demographic.

I don’t claim to know the cruising business BUT in my mind:

*Carnival, Royal, NCL do fine with 30-somethings.

*Celeb and Holland cater to a more seasoned crowd that doesn’t have the desire or budget to go Crystal.

I wish Celeb well at catering to 30-somethings. This will be the crowd who more and more will have personal debt, HUGE student loans, higher health-care costs. Whereas it’s the 50 somethings that will have a nest-egg, and perhaps more discretionary income.

For the record I’m 38 but sort of an old soul. If a cruise line starts resembling “Yo MTV Raps” and I see a bunch of young yuppies or backwards hats and baggy pants walking around, i’d find a different modicum of travel. Thus far, Celeb has been great for me.

(Oh, beef up security if you’re going for the younger party crowd. Fighting, drugs, and stuff like that might be more of an issue. Then again, it might be a nice “ship reality show” to watch the backward hat crowd beat-up on the baggy-pants crowd. That’s actually a productive idea but I digress.)

FWIW, one fella’s opinion.

I was on the Century's Panama Canal cruise in January. There was no way to get away from the loud music. How anyone could possibly have a conversation in the Martini Bar or the MDR was beyond me. The sixth Carnival cruise was our last, primarily because of the noise. The Celebrity cruise was nice but we will no longer sail with them for this reason. The noise spoiled the cruise.

The sixth Carnival cruise was our last, primarily because of the noise. The Celebrity cruise was nice but we will no longer sail with them for this reason. The noise spoiled the cruise.

So where do you find a product like Celebrity in a close price point? Princess? Holland? RCCL?

For the record I’m 38

Well for the record I am 60, Celebrity is our cruise line of choice. I guess you are not their demographic, we are.

Edited by wallie5446

Hope the Celebrity folks at the Dallas event will be able to address this issue, and confirm whether or not this loud music is the official new policy on Celebrity, as said by the CD on Reflection.

Oh for goodness sake! The poor District Rep for Celebrity has an absolute ZERO say in what happens on ship and how policy is structured, and no control over what the Cruise Director voices on ship. She is a go between for the TA's in the North Texas Region and Miami. Please don't make Cruise Critic members look like the north bound end of a south bound dokie.

WHAT????? The north bound etc…you got to be kidding!

This is a party, not a 50 questions session. Your my age since you understood what I meant. We are really looking forward to an enjoyable evening with like minded cruisers, not an evening like these threads have been the past few days.

I was on the Century's Panama Canal cruise in January. There was no way to get away from the loud music. How anyone could possibly have a conversation in the Martini Bar or the MDR was beyond me. The sixth Carnival cruise was our last, primarily because of the noise. The Celebrity cruise was nice but we will no longer sail with them for this reason. The noise spoiled the cruise.

On my cruise on Silhouette, the music being played in the grand foyer between the elevator banks. Yes it was loud, but not so loud that you couldn't hold a decent conversation at the Martini bar. I'm sure it was much louder for those working the excursions desk or at guest relations. Also, I didn't mind the music at all because they were playing the type of music I like in 60's and 70's, even the occasional country song. By the way, I'm 51.

Finally, there was NO loud music at all in the MDR. There were too many different people holding various conversations to hear any even if it was playing. Hearing that there is loud music in the MDR is a first for me.

I agree, Alexander is a really nice guy. We liked his style and confidence. He has a staff position which puts him in the hot seat. I felt sorry for him because he must be confronted with critics and complainers hundreds of times every cruise. He understands that comes with the job responsibilities. He's just the messenger, so don't shoot him! I heard him say in the last day announcements that he was leaving the ship for vacation the same day we did (March 1st). I would happily have him as a CD on a future cruise.

I totally agree with all that you have posted being on the same cruise with you. Very well said!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

*Celeb and Holland cater to a more seasoned crowd that doesn’t have the desire or budget to go Crystal.

I wish Celeb well at catering to 30-somethings. This will be the crowd who more and more will have personal debt, HUGE student loans, higher health-care costs. Whereas it’s the 50 somethings that will have a nest-egg, and perhaps more discretionary income.

For the record I’m 38 but sort of an old soul. If a cruise line starts resembling “Yo MTV Raps” and I see a bunch of young yuppies or backwards hats and baggy pants walking around, i’d find a different modicum of travel. Thus far, Celeb has been great for me.

(Oh, beef up security if you’re going for the younger party crowd. Fighting, drugs, and stuff like that might be more of an issue. Then again, it might be a nice “ship reality show” to watch the backward hat crowd beat-up on the baggy-pants crowd. That’s actually a productive idea but I digress.)

LOL! Aside from the fact that "yuppies" is an outdated term from the 80s, what do baggy pants and "yuppies" have to do with one another? I don't associate Yo MTV raps or backward hats or loose pants with working professionals with discretionary income. Last time I checked, neither was part of the dress code at either of my or DH's workplace.

Moreover, I don't think Celebrity actually plays true "rap" music ether, unless you consider Katy Perry, Adele, etc. rap. :rolleyes:

Crap! Thank you for reminding me, I would have forgotten to bring my requisite cache of drugs and "thuggery" had you not reminded me it was compulsory for my age group.

Whew.

Just off the Celebrity Reflection. So much about the cruise was excellent: the stunning ship, consistently superior food, spotless cleanliness, friendly service, officers, crew. So many people working so diligently to provide a first class "modern luxury" experience.

Unfortunately, there was also a big and easily resolved concern.

Around the main pool, the "music" of the Miami DJs was unacceptably LOUD! So loud at sail-away that one could not even hear a person standing right next to one.So loud that one's whole body vibrated. So loud that the speakers distorted the sound. The issue is not so much the kind of music, as its volume. It rendered the main pool area unusable.

Likewise, the party band Vibe was so loud in the foyer as to render the core of the ship unusable. They disturbed people in the Library, Hideaway, Game Room, Martini Bar, Cellar Masters, Bistro, Cafe Bacio, Passport Bar, Guest Relations, Elevator lobbies etc.

Miami DJs and Vibe would be great in a separate venue, such as Sky lounge or Qasar. Let those who like it come to those venues. The issue was that this was inflicted on a majority of the passengers who did not pay their hard earned money to be subjected to this new un-Celebrity-like experience.

Now here is the really scary part.:eek:

I attended the Cruise Critic gathering, along with 60 or 70 others, and several ships officers. When the issue of the loud music was raised by several guests, the Cruise Director explained that the Reflection, as the flagship, was leading the way introducing a new entertainment concept, which would be taken fleet wide! The key was a shift in the demographic profile of their target guests, from 50s to 30-something. The loud music reflected this new direction. Apparently someone in Miami thinks that ultra-loud music = 30 something demographic!

There was a lot of dissenting discussion. During the course of this the Cruise Director made it very clear that if the loyal, traditional Celebrity customer did not like this direction, they should find another line to cruise :eek:

I love the Celebrity experience, and have done some 20 cruises with them. I see this as the Carnivalization of the brand! Given that they already own Royal Caribbean, which appeals to a younger demographic, I do not see the business sense in taking Celebrity in this direction, and upsetting their large established loyal base of customers.

I would be interesting in hearing from other Cruise Critic members who were at that infamous CC gathering.

Not at that gathering but......we were told the same thing on Silhouette a few cruises ago when we complained about the loud stuff starting mid morning at the main pool area.. (lot of sexist rap songs--do people even listen to the lyrics??) We relocated each day when it started to be loud to a better space, thus reducing our daily expenditure on drinks around the pool deck ~.

Happily on our more recent Silhouette cruise it was much improved...enough to make everyone with diff tastes happy..IMHO

But we have already reduced our cruises per year from avg of three to one only (in AQ or CC) and have found a great a/c resort chain that offers party and quiet spots..just in case we do not want to party all the time ...esp, w/bad music & talent!

Edited by hcat

Well good luck to them and their 30-something demographic.....

*Carnival, Royal, NCL do fine with 30-somethings......

I wish Celeb well at catering to 30-somethings. This will be the crowd who more and more will have personal debt, HUGE student loans, higher health-care costs.....

i’d find a different modicum of travel....

Oh, beef up security if you’re going for the younger party crowd. Fighting, drugs, and stuff like that might be more of an issue.

ROFLMAO, where to begin?!

1. Let's see, I've been on plenty of Royal cruises and a couple of Carnival.... never seen any sort of issue with fighting or drugs. Nor have I seen those ships filled with only 30-somethings. Plenty of older folks on those line as well.

2. Supposing for the sake of argument that you are correct and these 30's somethings have no disposable income, I doubt Celebrity cares whether their pax pay for their cruise with savings or a credit card at its max limit. The money spends the same as far as Celebrity is concerned. And what do their health care costs have to do with the price of rum cake in Jamaica?!

3. I think the word you're looking for there is "mode" not "modicum" ;)

Just off the Celebrity Reflection. So much about the cruise was excellent: the stunning ship, consistently superior food, spotless cleanliness, friendly service, officers, crew. So many people working so diligently to provide a first class "modern luxury" experience.

Unfortunately, there was also a big and easily resolved concern.

Around the main pool, the "music" of the Miami DJs was unacceptably LOUD! So loud at sail-away that one could not even hear a person standing right next to one.So loud that one's whole body vibrated. So loud that the speakers distorted the sound. The issue is not so much the kind of music, as its volume. It rendered the main pool area unusable.

Likewise, the party band Vibe was so loud in the foyer as to render the core of the ship unusable. They disturbed people in the Library, Hideaway, Game Room, Martini Bar, Cellar Masters, Bistro, Cafe Bacio, Passport Bar, Guest Relations, Elevator lobbies etc.

Miami DJs and Vibe would be great in a separate venue, such as Sky lounge or Qasar. Let those who like it come to those venues. The issue was that this was inflicted on a majority of the passengers who did not pay their hard earned money to be subjected to this new un-Celebrity-like experience.

Now here is the really scary part.:eek:

I attended the Cruise Critic gathering, along with 60 or 70 others, and several ships officers. When the issue of the loud music was raised by several guests, the Cruise Director explained that the Reflection, as the flagship, was leading the way introducing a new entertainment concept, which would be taken fleet wide! The key was a shift in the demographic profile of their target guests, from 50s to 30-something. The loud music reflected this new direction. Apparently someone in Miami thinks that ultra-loud music = 30 something demographic!

There was a lot of dissenting discussion. During the course of this the Cruise Director made it very clear that if the loyal, traditional Celebrity customer did not like this direction, they should find another line to cruise :eek:

I love the Celebrity experience, and have done some 20 cruises with them. I see this as the Carnivalization of the brand! Given that they already own Royal Caribbean, which appeals to a younger demographic, I do not see the business sense in taking Celebrity in this direction, and upsetting their large established loyal base of customers.

I would be interesting in hearing from other Cruise Critic members who were at that infamous CC gathering.

We're 30-something, getting ready to try Celebrity for the first time. Extremely loud music doesn't do anything for us. We chose Celebrity because we thought it's shy ambiance would fit well with Alaska. If that concept is only altered to attract more 30-somethings, all the better. If the concept is thrown out to become another fun ship, that's disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, we love the fun ships too, especially in the sunny itineraries. But in Canada and Scandinavia for example, don't make us only choose from Holland America.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

We're 30-something, getting ready to try Celebrity for the first time. Extremely loud music doesn't do anything for us. We chose Celebrity because we thought it's shy ambiance would fit well with Alaska. If that concept is only altered to attract more 30-somethings, all the better. If the concept is thrown out to become another fun ship, that's disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, we love the fun ships too, especially in the sunny itineraries. But in Canada and Scandinavia for example, don't make us only choose from Holland America.

Please don't go in thinking that there is going to be a problem. If you look over the threads, there are posters on the same cruise that think the music is "ear splitting" and others that said they had no problem with it. Celebrity is in no way a fun or party ship nor do I think they ever will, it is that they are just trying to accomodate all of their passengers, whether they are 1 or 100.

And when they say that 60 - 70 cruise critic members complained at the meet and greet, you have to wonder how many of them actually heard loud music or do they just have a preconceived notion that there might be loud music, because of what a few have said and that is why they agreed.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Please don't go in thinking that there is going to be a problem. If you look over the threads, there are posters on the same cruise that think the music is "ear splitting" and others that said they had no problem with it. Celebrity is in no way a fun or party ship nor do I think they ever will, it is that they are just trying to accomodate all of their passengers, whether they are 1 or 100.

And when they say that 60 - 70 cruise critic members complained at the meet and greet, you have to wonder how many of them actually heard loud music or do they just have a preconceived notion that there might be loud music, because of what a few have said and that is why they agreed.

Enjoy your cruise.

I didn't say anything about thinking there was going to be a problem this summer, or not enjoying my cruise. I assume the OP is exaggerating.

As a 30-something year old, I hope they only change some of the activities on board, but not turn it into a fun ship. Like choosing restaurant, we like variety. If I lived in a small town with Mexican and Italian food, I don't want either one turning into each other.

Somehow, while reading the loud music threads, I came to the conclusion that everyone at the cc gathering complained. Whether it's my lack of comprehension or the escalating hysteria, I don't know.

However, re-reading the opening post, I see I attended the Cruise Critic gathering, along with 60 or 70 others, and several ships officers. When the issue of the loud music was raised by several guests.....

Wonder how many "several" is?

Rock on! :)

However, re-reading the opening post, I see I attended the Cruise Critic gathering, along with 60 or 70 others, and several ships officers. When the issue of the loud music was raised by several guests.....

Wonder how many "several" is?

Rock on! :)

I'd estimate 8-10 complained, one couple stated they didn't mind the music

I assume the OP is exaggerating.

No way to give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they are representing things the way they were?

Frankly I think folks need to accept that maybe where there's smoke there's fire. Too many complaints about this to not be something to it. It can't all be perception.

No way to give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they are representing things the way they were?

Frankly I think folks need to accept that maybe where there's smoke there's fire. Too many complaints about this to not be something to it. It can't all be perception.

It sounds like this Celebrity thread is a bit touchy... First I get slammed for agreeing too much with the OP, now not enough. No wonder Celebrity is having trouble appeasing you guys ;)

I came on here to explain, as a 30-something year old, which direction I would like to see Celebrity go. My opinion of the noise level would be subjective at best, and I wasn't even there...

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Not sure what you mean by too many? Fifteen percent at the meet and greet, doesn't seem like a lot. Not to mention that posters also on the same cruise didn't have a problem with the levels. Are you giving the benefit of doubt to those that didn't think the volume was too loud or just to those that thought it was too loud? Who is to say who is right and who is wrong?

Edited by NLH Arizona

This will all be put to rest when Celebrity comes back with a definitive answer as to what direction they are taking, and how the sound level dovetails into that.

I was hoping that their silence was due to the weekend, and I'm beyond disappointed that they do not think this worthy enough to respond.

I've got the "bones" in place to cancel and change our cruise out of Bayonne (hotel reservations instead in New York, info about changing our flights) - just tell us!