Should I drive the whole 18 hours?

Ceblake

My wife and I are driving from NE Ohio to Fort Lauderdale, I think the same week, for our 1st cruise. We plan on stopping half way or further if we feel good. We drive to Gatlinburg Tenn(9hrs) often and have done a turnaround before, We have made the trip with our 5yr grand daughter. We put a laptop on the console and her car seat in the middle of the back seat and let her watch dvds. Kept her happy.

How do you secure the laptop to the console so that it doesn't become a projectile in an accident?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess the same way you secure your purse, suitcases, food, drinks, toys, books, shoes, jackets and anything else that is in the car with you. Kind of a silly comment.

I guess the same way you secure your purse, suitcases, food, drinks, toys, books, shoes, jackets and anything else that is in the car with you. Kind of a silly comment.

With the exception of suitcases and possibly purses, the rest of that is not nearly as dangerous in terms of mass, and not in a location as to cause serious injury upon impact.

The problem with a laptop on the console though, is that it is at chest/head height.

We use a portable DVD player that has a case with webbed straps that attach to the headrest posts of the front seats. That thing isn't going anywhere.

One of many examples of the danger of an untethered 4-7 lb. hard edged projectile (i.e., laptop) sitting directly in front of a restrained child or anyone else in a car: http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/271049.

Aftermarket car DVD players should be in front headrest sleeves just like luggage should be in sedan trunks or under SUV storage nets/straps.

One of many examples of the danger of an untethered 4-7 lb. hard edged projectile (i.e., laptop) sitting directly in front of a restrained child or anyone else in a car: http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/271049.

Aftermarket car DVD players should be in front headrest sleeves just like luggage should be in sedan trunks or under SUV storage nets/straps.

You can fashion your own with a large plastic bag and clip it to the back of the front seat.

it must be nice all of your folks who simply fly everywhere.. when the kids were home it never crossed our minds. took the kids everywhere and had fun getting there. I still much prefer to drive. It wouldn't cross my mind to fly to FL. I drive to Daytona area 2 or 3 times a year and at least one of those trips we run on down to the keys.

all these cost of the car by mile etc.. are not real out of the pocket expenses that impact your trip and may never impact you depending on how long you keep your cars.

leave super early and get down around JAX at a reasonable time and call it a day. JAX to FLL is a breeze, straight non-stop cruise. return trip who cares.. maybe stop a couple of times somewhere along the coast.

Edited by Sherlock43031
  • Like 1

it must be nice all of your folks who simply fly everywhere.. when the kids were home it never crossed our minds. took the kids everywhere and had fun getting there. I still much prefer to drive. It wouldn't cross my mind to fly to FL. I drive to Daytona area 2 or 3 times a year and at least one of those trips we run on down to the keys.

all these cost of the car by mile etc.. are not real out of the pocket expenses that impact your trip and may never impact you depending on how long you keep your cars.

leave super early and get down around JAX at a reasonable time and call it a day. JAX to FLL is a breeze, straight non-stop cruise. return trip who cares.. maybe stop a couple of times somewhere along the coast.

Actually, those per mile costs DO impact you and ARE real out of pocket expenses. Just because you might not feel the costs at the time you take a particular road trip, they do not disappear. If you keep a car long enough you will have to replace tires and change oil more frequently (among less visible costs) because of long trips. The ultimate trade-in value of the car will go down because of the additional mileage. If you do not keep the car very long, either trading it in frequently, or continually leasing new cars at short intervals, you are choosing the most expensive way of having a car: it is clear that the most economic car ownership is long-term - maintaining it well for how ever many years it takes you to use up its 100,000 to 150,000 mile useful life.

You are kidding yourself if you ignore the accrued, but not immediate out-of-pocket, costs of driving.

It will be cheaper to drive for my family at least. Four people in one car and seven in the other. That would roughly $800 per person round trip! That's $8,800 round trip not including baggage fees. We never flew anywhere when I was little. It was always a fun road trip! Putting miles on a car is no big deal. I don't care about a trade in value. I have driven all my vehicles until they pretty much weren't drivable anymore.

I haven't done a "big" vacation like this since I was little. So this maybe the only "big" vacation i do. We always do little beach trips.

This will be interesting to see how my four year old does!

It will be cheaper to drive for my family at least. Four people in one car and seven in the other. That would roughly $800 per person round trip! That's $8,800 round trip not including baggage fees. We never flew anywhere when I was little. It was always a fun road trip! Putting miles on a car is no big deal. I don't care about a trade in value. I have driven all my vehicles until they pretty much weren't drivable anymore.

I haven't done a "big" vacation like this since I was little. So this maybe the only "big" vacation i do. We always do little beach trips.

Generally it is cheaper for four (or, certainly, more) people to drive anywhere than to fly - no argument there. But, if you are going to compare costs, it does not make sense to ignore wear and tear on the car - or any expenses beyond immediate gas purchases. Even if you drive vehicles until they aren't drivable -- that point comes sooner with long road trips - every mile you put on a car does take away a bit of its life.

Actually, those per mile costs DO impact you and ARE real out of pocket expenses. Just because you might not feel the costs at the time you take a particular road trip, they do not disappear. If you keep a car long enough you will have to replace tires and change oil more frequently (among less visible costs) because of long trips. The ultimate trade-in value of the car will go down because of the additional mileage. If you do not keep the car very long, either trading it in frequently, or continually leasing new cars at short intervals, you are choosing the most expensive way of having a car: it is clear that the most economic car ownership is long-term - maintaining it well for how ever many years it takes you to use up its 100,000 to 150,000 mile useful life.

You are kidding yourself if you ignore the accrued, but not immediate out-of-pocket, costs of driving.

seriously not making a 2k mile round trip is going to make your tires last how much longer? hell, I use to drive over 2k a month just going back and forth to work. most newer cars the first tune-up isn't until 100k miles.

some of your folks are so silly.. why beat up on someone who wants to drive? not everyone automatically thinks plane every time they go somewhere I only think plane when driving is out of the question.

at my age I pay cash for my cars and frankly worrying about not taking a trip because it might affect maint cost or trade in value is something that would never cross my mind. we currently own 3 one for her, one for me and a special occasion ride (which y son will get one day). when either of the 2 get's long in the tooth generally a grandkid or some other deserving young relative gets a freebie.

Edited by Sherlock43031

Well thank you kind person! We never think plane first. I drive 2200 miles per month for work and play. So what if I have to get a new car 2000 miles sooner. All my cars (Hondas) have given me 250,000 miles plus.

Actually its not a silly comment - if you are going 70 [or 80 or more] mph to zero in a split second that laptop, heavy toys, sharp items can/will become projectiles that would instantly kill an adult, must less a child. Having spent some time in biomechanical/physical injury employment - I am amazed at what simple things can kill/maim. Also, at how people disregard safety for comfort.

My only suggestion would be to load up on Xanax [11 people in 2 cars, one a wee child....:eek:] and extra NSAIDs since everyone is going to be aching sore by the time you get to the ship. but mostly xanax.

My only suggestion would be to load up on Xanax [11 people in 2 cars, one a wee child....:eek:] and extra NSAIDs since everyone is going to be aching sore by the time you get to the ship. but mostly xanax.

Looking at food stops, bathroom breaks, driver breaks, gas stops your looking at 3.5 to 4 days each way !! and lets not forget traffic jams, etc

7 people in 1 car ? for 4 days... with all their luggage that's like a dozen large suit cases... that could fill a and empty van...

Add in motels, toll, and its going to take 7to 8 days of Driving from your recreation.

Remember too, going people wont know what they are getting into.. the will be excited fresh..up beat.

After the cruise, they will be exhausted... and dread the next 4 days on the road..... Tempers will be on edge... Oh it will be fun

Why not take Amtrack...???

Actually its not a silly comment - if you are going 70 [or 80 or more] mph to zero in a split second that laptop, heavy toys, sharp items can/will become projectiles that would instantly kill an adult, must less a child. Having spent some time in biomechanical/physical injury employment - I am amazed at what simple things can kill/maim. Also, at how people disregard safety for comfort.

give people a break.. everyday folks from 'up north' drive 2 or 3 days to get to FL. and everything in the cars is not bolted down. all kinds of stuff COULD happen. but rarely does. our first trip from Columbus to Yellowstore in '76 driving a 74 LTD wagon pulling a Coleman pop-up camper our young son spent most of the trip in the rear facing third seat and lives to tell about it. I don't even think it had seat belts in the back seat. guess what no DVDs or iPods. I know he had a ton of books and horror none of them tied down. you folks that go around worrying yourself over what COULD happen need to stay home and never go out but your house COULD burn down then what? taking the plane instead of driving hasn't wored out too great for a few folks lately. AmTrak is worthless or worse. the cruise ship could sink everytime it leaves port. hell it could sink t the dock.

to the OP.. I bet you didn't know how stupid you were until you posted a simple question on CC.

Looking at food stops, bathroom breaks, driver breaks, gas stops your looking at 3.5 to 4 days each way !! and lets not forget traffic jams, etc

7 people in 1 car ? for 4 days... with all their luggage that's like a dozen large suit cases... that could fill a and empty van...

Add in motels, toll, and its going to take 7to 8 days of Driving from your recreation.

Remember too, going people wont know what they are getting into.. the will be excited fresh..up beat.

After the cruise, they will be exhausted... and dread the next 4 days on the road..... Tempers will be on edge... Oh it will be fun

Why not take Amtrack...???

this is so screwed up it beyond a response.

Four days? What are you talking about? I'm going to Florida, not California! The car of 7 just did the drive to Disney 3 weeks ago and last year and the year before and the year before......

And again like I posted earlier have always traveled to Florida when I was little with 2 drivers. We have 6 drivers and most of the driving is over night when my little one and the other ones who can't drive are sleeping.

How many times do you think I have to stop to eat? Once for dinner and breakfast in the morning. Of course we stop for bathroom breaks and stretching. But we are talking about less than a day here!

Don't worry about those people. I'm with you. I've driven from the AZ/NM border to St Louis, MO in one day. Not fun, but doable. It was just me driving, too. You have people to switch off with.

Have a great vacation!

Thank you very much!

We did all the comparisons and it is cheaper to drive. The average price to fly (looking at all the sites that compare prices) was about $800 round trip per person. That is from BWI to FLL. Flying in a day early and out a day later. Even did the scenario of flying to a different airport, renting a car, etc. Still cheaper to drive. Round trip gas is about $450. The hotel is about $100.

Expedia lists a Spirit Air non-stop flight (2 hours, 42 minutes) from BWI to FLL during the Easter week time period for $268. per person round trip.

The last time I checked, spirit was $430ish round trip, but way too many bad reviews, mainly delayed flights. Can't take that chance of missing the ship. Spoke to many travel agents and they did not recommend this airline.