Should I drive the whole 18 hours?

Ceblake

This is my first cruise and will be driving with my parents and 4 year old. Flights are way too expensive during Easter week, so we are driving from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale.

The drive is around 18 hours. We were thinking of driving to Jacksonsville (14 hours) and staying in a hotel, then get up early and drive the last four or so to the port. OR, should we drive straight to Fort Lauderdale and stay in a hotel there. Not sure what would be more convenient? Better to already be in Fort Lauderdale? Or stop for the sake of staying sane?!? Or maybe somewhere further south than Jacksonsville?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

This is my first cruise and will be driving with my parents and 4 year old. Flights are way too expensive during Easter week, so we are driving from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale.

The drive is around 18 hours. We were thinking of driving to Jacksonsville (14 hours) and staying in a hotel, then get up early and drive the last four or so to the port. OR, should we drive straight to Fort Lauderdale and stay in a hotel there. Not sure what would be more convenient? Better to already be in Fort Lauderdale? Or stop for the sake of staying sane?!? Or maybe somewhere further south than Jacksonsville?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

no break it up. Don't become a statistic. too many people fall asleep on drives over 12 hours.

• Like 1

Well, I would be taking turns with my dad every 3-4 hours...

This sounds good on paper. However, I have been passenger on several long distance hauls where my parents traded off every few hours. I watched my mother fall asleep at the wheel and the car ran off the road out into the dessert.

You may be young and frisky, but how old is your Dad? I ask because I Be one my self. After several rotations it could start to wear on him.

I would suggest breaking up the trip and arrive safe.

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

I'm 35 and he is 74 (you would never know he is 74!) But I guess I should break it up for the sake of being able to rest and relax. I have no idea how my four year old will be. : )

Jacksonville has many of the chain hotels around the airport.

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn Airport a couple of times and really liked it!! It was very clean, the staff was great and they have a free breakfast!! Also you are within walking distance to three restaurants, so you don't have to move your car again once you get there.

From Jacksonville you will be about 4 1/2 hours from the port.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!!

no break it up. Don't become a statistic. too many people fall asleep on drives over 12 hours.

CONCUR

I am getting on the road tomorrow for a similar trip. My father is driving in today from Syracuse to here( Baltimore ish). tomorrow we will drive to raleigh to pick up my aunt and Thursday drive on down to Jax. It's for a 100th birthday party and not a cruise but stil//. between the crappy weather, and possibility of accidents and what not.

each leg is about 6-7 hours. which is our max in one go. we go by Navy regs.. no more than 350 miles in one stretch.

witha 4 year old?! yeah unless you plan it so that you leave at 9 pm and he sleeps the whole way down, no way would I even dream about it doing it it one go.

• Like 1

Unless you are a speed demon, you are looking at five hours, 325 miles from JAX to FLL. If you only go as far as Richmond Hill, you add another 1.5 hours to that. And just think: You will have this drive to look forward to again at the end of your cruise! EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I wouldn't do it....I have trouble on trips 5-6 hours...I can't imagine sitting in a vehicle for 18+ hours! Especially, for the trip home! On the way TO your vacation, you're all excited...but it's even worse headed home.

If I couldn't afford the airfare, I would just save the money from the whole trip and put it towards the next one!

This cruise was planned almost a year ago. My SIL booked it because all the kids will be off school...she obviously didn't think about the airfare being expensive. So we are all driving. They are leaving later in the day (4 pm) than us...they are doing the straight drive into the overnight. My SIL can drive the whole time with no problem!

NOT looking forward to the drive home, but my husband is not going on the trip so I will be excited to see him!

So I will stay in Jacksonville and start fresh in the morning!

Edited by Ceblake

You may want to redo the math on driving vs flying (figure total car cost at the federal rate of about 55 cents per mile (gas, wear, etc.) round trip plus parking plus hotel night(s), etc. if you're willing to do connections and are flexible on time, check comparisons on orbitz or other search engines. Remember to look at kid and senior fares too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may want to redo the math on driving vs flying (figure total car cost at the federal rate of about 55 cents per mile (gas, wear, etc.) round trip plus parking plus hotel night(s), etc. if you're willing to do connections and are flexible on time, check comparisons on orbitz or other search engines. Remember to look at kid and senior fares too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did all the comparisons and it is cheaper to drive. The average price to fly (looking at all the sites that compare prices) was about $800 round trip per person. That is from BWI to FLL. Flying in a day early and out a day later. Even did the scenario of flying to a different airport, renting a car, etc. Still cheaper to drive. Round trip gas is about $450. The hotel is about $100.

Sorry - but you are really underestimating the drive. Use the 55 cents/ mile since the future car maintenance, miles depreciation, etc will bite you later. It's a very conservative estimator. I don't see how you figure a total of $100 for a hotel when you're a day early AND a day late AND you may have an extra night each way if you look realistically at a drive that long with parents AND a kid. And you've forgotten food along the way in both directions and the cost of parking at the port location for the length of time.

While it still may be "cheaper" to drive, is the added cost "per person" (I.e., divide difference by 4) really worth it?This is a vacation and from what you describe, you'll be fried before you even step foot on the ship. And then there's the fun of the drive home!

Sorry - but you are really underestimating the drive. Use the 55 cents/ mile since the future car maintenance, miles depreciation, etc will bite you later. It's a very conservative estimator. I don't see how you figure a total of $100 for a hotel when you're a day early AND a day late AND you may have an extra night each way if you look realistically at a drive that long with parents AND a kid. And you've forgotten food along the way in both directions and the cost of parking at the port location for the length of time.

While it still may be "cheaper" to drive, is the added cost "per person" (I.e., divide difference by 4) really worth it?This is a vacation and from what you describe, you'll be fried before you even step foot on the ship. And then there's the fun of the drive home!

The reason I started the thread was to get an opinion of driving straight through or not. I was going back and forth about it and everyone has helped me make the right choice and stop earlier to get a good nights sleep. We are driving straight through (most likely) on the way home with lots of stops. We are driving along side with the rest of my family and there is 6 driver's to rotate through.

I also included the cost of the parking at the port. We have no problem driving, just wasn't sure about stopping for a hotel. Thanks to all!

Sorry - but you are really underestimating the drive. Use the 55 cents/ mile since the future car maintenance, miles depreciation, etc will bite you later.

It's 56-cents/mile for 2014.

And do not underestimate the boring lulls of interstates in Florida. Flat, mostly straight and monotonous. But it's the part that's not mostly straight where the exhausted driver will end up hundreds of feet off the road in a flipped car. And if they are lucky, they and their passengers may still be alive.

I"m pretty sure I'm not the only one that chooses to drive from Maryland to Florida instead of flying. If I get tired, I surely will stop and not put anyone's life in danger.

Again I was just seeing what everyone thought of driving straight through or stopping somewhere along the way.

Don't do the drive in one trip especially with a child. Start very early and stop mid-way. This way you have more daylight to drive with. I like the Comfort Inn when I drive from NJ to SW Alabama. There are some suites (Atlanta/buck head area) where they have two bedrooms and a kitchen with fridge. Very reasonable and safe area.

I have been to many accidents you would be surprised how far a car travels in a few seconds if you nod off. Spend the money and relax in a good hotel.

Have a safe trip!

I too would say drive but stop. Get out mapquest and try different scenarios on miles to help you decide where to stop. The hardest part of the drive will be your little one. Potty stops and entertaining. If you don't have a DVD player in the car I suggest you get a portable one with headphones. That will keep her busy for some of the trip. Take lots of snack food for her as well. Every time you stop adds 20-30 minutes to the trip.

I can easily drive from LA to Medford which is an 11 hour drive. You get up early and head out. That way you can stop at a decent time, get dinner and sleep. Then I head out again for the last part for the additional 10 hours. The the next weekend I drive home. We have a snack bag packed for us too.

I'm happy to say I've never careened off the road and killed anyone. Go figure. We have straight sections and hours and mountain roads.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I too would say drive but stop. Get out mapquest and try different scenarios on miles to help you decide where to stop. The hardest part of the drive will be your little one. Potty stops and entertaining. If you don't have a DVD player in the car I suggest you get a portable one with headphones. That will keep her busy for some of the trip. Take lots of snack food for her as well. Every time you stop adds 20-30 minutes to the trip.

I can easily drive from LA to Medford which is an 11 hour drive. You get up early and head out. That way you can stop at a decent time, get dinner and sleep. Then I head out again for the last part for the additional 10 hours. We have a snack bag packed for us too.

I'm happy to say I've never careened off the road and killed anyone. Go figure.

You are fortunate. I have been in the FD a long time and have responded to so many and each was tough. Let's just be safe out there folks!