Passport Help!!

We have cruised on Carnival and Norwegian and will be cruising on RCI in November. We have always used our birth certificate

(Certified one) and our drivers license and have never had any problems. I have been reading some reviews that RCI requires a passport and should you arrive at the port without one you will be denied. I have never worried about getting it because we have never had any issues. Our cruise is out of Fort Lauderdale on the Oasis of the Seas in November going to St. Thomas, Nassau and St. Marteen returning to Fort Lauderdale. In the check in process of RCI website it asks what you will be traveling with and it list a choice of a birth certificate. So I'm a little confused. RCI told me on the phone that I would be ok. Has anyone ever had a problem with this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Where'd you read that RCI requires a passport? There are some itineraries that do, but that is the case for all cruise lines.

If you are US citizen, then, a certified copy of your birth certificate and drivers license will suffice for the itinerary you described.

We have cruised on Carnival and Norwegian and will be cruising on RCI in November. We have always used our birth certificate

(Certified one) and our drivers license and have never had any problems. I have been reading some reviews that RCI requires a passport and should you arrive at the port without one you will be denied. I have never worried about getting it because we have never had any issues. Our cruise is out of Fort Lauderdale on the Oasis of the Seas in November going to St. Thomas, Nassau and St. Marteen returning to Fort Lauderdale. In the check in process of RCI website it asks what you will be traveling with and it list a choice of a birth certificate. So I'm a little confused. RCI told me on the phone that I would be ok. Has anyone ever had a problem with this?

They do not require a passport for your itinerary. Same as the other cruise lines

I saw that on one of these reviews. Someone had gotten to the port with no passport and was turned away because of it. They supposedly had the correct birth certificate but were still refused.

I saw that on one of these reviews. Someone had gotten to the port with no passport and was turned away because of it. They supposedly had the correct birth certificate but were still refused.

Has to be more to the story. Where is the review?

We have passports now but we always used birth cert. As long as you are ending your cruise in at the same port it should not be a problem. But my daughter did not have passports for her family of five and did not want to spend over a thousand dollars befor the cruise so they got pass cards. I think they were 50 dollars each and she plans on using them for our upcoming cruise.

You are not crazy. I read that same review stating they were almost turned away because they didn't have proper identification and they said they used a BC and DL. I then checked with Royal and you are just fine with a Driver's License and an original CERTIFIED embossed Birth certificate. No worries!

I just read the review you are referring to, it really doesn't say what the issue was with the birth certificates.

You can sail on a closed loop cruise with a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Well, I plan to use the DL and birth certificate. Our last cruise was in December and the one before that in April of last year and used it and we were fine. I'm sure there was more to the story than what was given. We got our birth certificates two years ago so I know they are the correct ones! Thanks

My mother (in her 80's) was denied boarding using her birth certificate and driver's license because of a problem with a name change. Her birth certificate from the 1920's had a different last name than the one she had always used (her father's). That last name she took as a middle name when she married my father so the only name in common with the two documents was her first name. And that is not enough of a link between the two documents. She and other family members were detained for more than 2 hours, but with a happy ending. RCCL agents were very sympathetic to her dilemma and tried to come up with a solution. Eventually, my brother was able to fax his birth certificate with the name she had used for over sixty years and that was enough of a direct link for RCCL. So there can be problems with using a bc and driver's license.

My mother (in her 80's) was denied boarding using her birth certificate and driver's license because of a problem with a name change. Her birth certificate from the 1920's had a different last name than the one she had always used (her father's). That last name she took as a middle name when she married my father so the only name in common with the two documents was her first name. And that is not enough of a link between the two documents. She and other family members were detained for more than 2 hours, but with a happy ending. RCCL agents were very sympathetic to her dilemma and tried to come up with a solution. Eventually, my brother was able to fax his birth certificate with the name she had used for over sixty years and that was enough of a direct link for RCCL. So there can be problems with using a bc and driver's license.

I agree. There CAN be problems. Save the headache and potential problems and get a passport. If something were to happen in the islands and you miss the ship, you could be in big trouble without a passport.

Make sure that you have a bridging document (such as a marriage license) if the name on your birth certificate does not match the name on your photo ID (maiden name verses married name). Some will say that you do not need it, but I was asked for it twice, once at the Port of New York, and once at Port Canaveral.

We have passports now but we always used birth cert. As long as you are ending your cruise in at the same port it should not be a problem. But my daughter did not have passports for her family of five and did not want to spend over a thousand dollars befor the cruise so they got pass cards. I think they were 50 dollars each and she plans on using them for our upcoming cruise.

Over a thousand dollars?!?!?!?!?

Over a thousand dollars?!?!?!?!?

If it's the last minute, adult expedited first-time passports with overnight shipping are $210. If everyone in the family of 5 is over 16, that's $1050. Of course, expedited adult passport cards would be $115 each, not just $55.

Edited by ahecht

You will be find with the BC and DL as long as you do not have to fly home due to an emergency. It is very difficult to fly out of a country without a passport. It is required to fly in and out of a foreign country. A passport card is good if you are cruising or driving into a foreign country but can not be used for flights. If you are getting a passport card I would spend the extra and get a passport book. Passports do add a large amount to a vacation but they are good for 10 years (adults) five years for kids under 16. Why not just get one or two passports a month until you all have one. The return around time is no more than 6 weeks. Enjoy your cruise.

And I have been freaking out all week! I knew the BC and DL were okay for my child (18) but my BC was creased on the name line making it barely legible AND I have been divorced for 18 years, but kept my married name. Having moved 4 or 5 times, I have NO IDEA where my marriage license was, but that would have been okay because I have a passport.

But when I pulled out the documents that I keep in a special drawer (Birth Certificates and Social Security Cards, folded inside my passport) it was my daughter's EXPIRED passport! I could not sleep thinking I might be turned away (would they refund the drink package and the excursion??). Then I decided I was going to search EVERY drawer in the house (having already looked in the usual suspects, coffee table drawer and various "junk" drawers)! :eek:

Phew!! Found it buried in the underwear drawer and only had to dump two drawers! I will not let this baby go missing again!!

I agree. There CAN be problems. Save the headache and potential problems and get a passport. If something were to happen in the islands and you miss the ship, you could be in big trouble without a passport.

This could be a big deal. Our last cruise our table mates had to fly home for an emergency at our first port. Good thing they had passports.

And I have been freaking out all week! I knew the BC and DL were okay for my child (18) but my BC was creased on the name line making it barely legible AND I have been divorced for 18 years, but kept my married name. Having moved 4 or 5 times, I have NO IDEA where my marriage license was, but that would have been okay because I have a passport.

But when I pulled out the documents that I keep in a special drawer (Birth Certificates and Social Security Cards, folded inside my passport) it was my daughter's EXPIRED passport! I could not sleep thinking I might be turned away (would they refund the drink package and the excursion??). Then I decided I was going to search EVERY drawer in the house (having already looked in the usual suspects, coffee table drawer and various "junk" drawers)! :eek:

Phew!! Found it buried in the underwear drawer and only had to dump two drawers! I will not let this baby go missing again!!

I had heart palpitations just listening to YOUR panic!

I am so glad that you found it!

Have a fantastic RELAXING cruise! :D

Many of us have reassured the OP she can cruise with the BC and DL. The need for passports gets talked about to death on these forums. I sometimes feel people get angry at those asking. I for one do not have a passport but I do have the proper identification. In my case and I am sure in other's as well it isn't the matter of not affording one or ignoring the need for one but sometimes as in my case I am planning a last minute cruise and there just isn't time to get pictures done with the family and turn in the appropriate paperwork and wait for the passports. No, I will not pay extra to expedite them. When I get home I will get them. I will add though if you have children over the age of 16 make sure they bring their Driver's License as a gov. id. Their school ID doesn't matter. The DMV also can issues State Id's for the kids who haven't gotten their DL.

The real issue is if you have to fly back for some reason. To me, it's not worth the worry. Since 9/11, things have gotten a lot tighter. My wife's birth certificate was done in 1960 and we were able to use it on previous cruises and flights 20 years ago. Now could not to even get passport the other day as they did not put parents name on them at that time. Had to get it reissued with names in time to keep upcoming passport appointment. Point is, be extremely cautious and read the current documentation requirements carefully for cruise lines and passports. Ther is not much leeway. I also agree, passport card for the money is not worth it. Get the full deal otherwise you are taking a chance getting stuck in a foriegn country and I'm not sure how they resolve that.:eek:

Ok Can you use a passport cards or do you need a passport book we have cards we are going to Victoria British Columbia ?

You can use passport cards on a closed end (started and ends at same place) cruise.

Took me 5 months to get my passport. Same problem as above...Born in '53 adopted...yes my BC was raised "sealed" etc, but because it did not list the appropriate names no good... Took many calls to NJ senator/congress/GOV office...Requesting a replacement BC from Trenton....2 months...not a finger of assistance...Being that I now live in Fla...went thru EVERYTHING as in NJ...even voiced "adoption discrimination"..... Finally....The ONE person to actually say to me "I think I can help you...Please send me everything you have" YEAH Marco Rubio's Office ! 2 weeks before my cruise got it....BINGO.. So...for all the adopted individuals out there please check your BC's and confirm the names of parents are on the document...if not...be prepared for a possible issue !

I strongly suggest you check the official US Passport Web site... noted below... the answer is simple...

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english.html

And.. there you will find the following...

Traveling by Sea?

All adult U.S. citizens arrriving by sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean must have a passport.*

Either a passport book or passport card may be used.

All U.S. citizens may apply for a passport card.

To learn more about the passport card including how to apply and the differences between the passport book and passport card, please visit our U.S. Passport Card page.

*"Closed Loop" Cruises: If you are a U.S. citizen and you board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship, you may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

U.S. citizen children under age 16 arriving by sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate.