Your favorite thing to do in Cozumel or Belize!

OceanLover404

I just scored a pretty good deal for a 5 night on Liberty at the end of this month for $590 for two (hope that's a good deal lol). Seeing as though I've only been on the older ships (Majesty and Enchantment), I'm SO excited for this cruise.

We've been thinking about the snorkeling in Hol Chan but we don't really want to spend the extra $100 per person just to fly to Ambergris Caye and make it in time. We don't arrive until 9 AM and we leave at 6, but there are typically only two snorkeling trips by most companies- one at 9 and one at 2. Should we just ditch the snorkeling in Belize? I know it's supposed to be wonderful, but it seems like it will take SO much time and $$ to get out there.

Anyway, my boyfriend and I love a good adventure, and we wanted to know what your top suggestions are for things to do in Cozumel & Belize City. Places to eat, shop, things to see and do, all of that! :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I will be going back to Cozumel for I think the 4th time next year, so I'm selfishly watching to see what suggestions you get :o I've heard very good things about a beach day at Nachi Cocum and am watching for more about that. This is not a royal offered excursion. I did a beach day at Playa Mia through RC and thought it was terrible. With that said , there is a Mexican cooking class/Beach day offered through Royal that goes to Playa Mia and the people who did the cooking class raved about it.

Good luck.

Edited by BillOh
typo

It depends on what you like to do. You can snorkel in Belize. Check out the Belize board on the Ports of Call board for suggestions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

The snorkeling is good in Cozumel, too, but if you want something DIFFERENT, try this: cozumelbarhop.com I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. ;)

It depends on what you like to do. You can snorkel in Belize. Check out the Belize board on the Ports of Call board for suggestions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

The snorkeling is good in Cozumel, too, but if you want something DIFFERENT, try this: cozumelbarhop.com I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. ;)

Speaking of different, Many people rave about Cave Tubing in Belize. I haven't done it. If I get to go back to Belize I am going to dive. My dive excursion was canceled on my only trip there in 09.

Again, it really depends on what you want to do. Relaxation? Cultural history? Sightseeing? Drunken partying? :D

In Cozumel, we go to Nachi Cocom Beach Club. A pay one price all-inclusive day at the beach.

We've been to Belize a couple of times. We like to visit historical/cultural sites, so in Belize we've done Mayan ruins as they have some spectacular ones. For more of a "fun" time, though we haven't done it, many people rave about the cave tubing.

Whatever you choose, hope you have a blast!

Edited by OKC Cruisers

Speaking of different, Many people rave about Cave Tubing in Belize. I haven't done it. If I get to go back to Belize I am going to dive. My dive excursion was canceled on my only trip there in 09.

I did it, and LOVED it. private excursion. Major Tom. Google it. ;)

We're on the Liberty, same itinerary, end of April.

This is our fourth time in Cozumel in two years. We're going back to Mr. Sancho's -- an all-day beach break with a trampoline water park.

We went to Nachi Cocum last time we were in Cozumel and really enjoyed it. But it is a very quiet place. The kids wanted to go back to Mr. Sanchos because it had more of a lively, upbeat vibe.

We're paying $57 adult/$37 child which includes all you can eat and drink, beach chairs, use of kayak and all-day waterpark passes.

Just wanted to throw out a different option for a beach day ... particularly if you have kids.

And I still have no idea what to do in Belize!! Too many great options.

In Cozumel, I like to go to Chankanaab Park.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d185578-Reviews-Chankanaab_Park-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

You can get a taxi there for (I think) $14 for two people, and admission is about $20 per person. You can do as much or as little as you want while you're there (some items are at additional cost, of course). They have a swim-with-dolphins thing, sea lion show, nature trail, tequila tasting, beach massage, and food and drinks available.

I have my own snorkel gear, so I like to just grab a chair or hammock in the shade on the beach and snorkel (or nap!) as desired. I'm pretty sure they also have snorkel gear to rent, but I've always had my own.

You can also purchase a cruise-sponsored excursion to Chankanaab, but I prefer to do it on my own. Cruise excursions waste too much of my time in paradise, waiting for everyone to get off the ship and onto the bus, waiting for the guide to give all the instructions, waiting for everyone to get back to the bus at the end of the day, etc.

By getting off the ship right away and grabbing an affordable taxi, I can be on the beach relaxing before most people are even on the bus. Ditto at the end of the day -- I can stay much later, because I don't have a guide telling me to be at the bus at 2pm so that the bus can leave by 3:30 (because of needing to wait for all the lazy folks to show up). I can grab a cab (always readily available at the park entrance, and can be shared with others to reduce the bill) at 4:00 and be back at the pier in plenty of time to shop for souvenirs and still be at the ship for the 5:00 all-aboard.

I can't think of the last time I did a cruise-sponsored excursion... maybe in the mid-1980s? The exception to my "do-it-yourself" excursion might be someplace like Belize, however -- I've heard that there is a very long tender ride there, and if you're not on a cruise-sponsored excursion, you don't get onto an early enough tender to get to shore in time to make the necessary connections.

Edited by brillohead

BELIZE: we went on a Carnival tour that was a river cruise and then to Altun Ha where we were able to climb to the top of the tallest pyramid. It was awesome!

Copied from Frommers:

Altun Ha (Northern Belize): One of the most easily accessible Mayan ruins from Belize City, Altun Ha is a small yet well-preserved site featuring two large central plazas surrounded by midsized pyramids and mounds.

We're on the Liberty, same itinerary, end of April.

This is our fourth time in Cozumel in two years. We're going back to Mr. Sancho's -- an all-day beach break with a trampoline water park.

We went to Nachi Cocum last time we were in Cozumel and really enjoyed it. But it is a very quiet place. The kids wanted to go back to Mr. Sanchos because it had more of a lively, upbeat vibe.

We're paying $57 adult/$37 child which includes all you can eat and drink, beach chairs, use of kayak and all-day waterpark passes.

Just wanted to throw out a different option for a beach day ... particularly if you have kids.

And I still have no idea what to do in Belize!! Too many great options.

I just did the Lamanai excursion in February. I highly recommend it. It is very similar to what summersigh just posted, but a different Mayan site.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?ProductCode=BE62&DestinationCode=CARIB&sourcePage=shorexByTypePortDest&ActivityTypeId=1

First time on RCI , but i'm going the 15th of this month to cozumel and belize as well and I have mrsanchos booked w/ parasailing and horseback riding...still haven't figured out belize...idk what to do LMAO, i feel like the cave tubing would be boring.

Loved the cooking class in Cozumel (we have also done the tequila tasting and the dune buggies, which were both good). The chef's and attendees were a riot. Cups were never empty, and, even though cooking your own food on vaca is not everyone's cup of tea, we had a blast. After we were able to use the beach, bar, buffet and other amenities at Playa Mia. The bus ride home was companionably rowdy:D

First time on RCI , but i'm going the 15th of this month to cozumel and belize as well and I have mrsanchos booked w/ parasailing and horseback riding...still haven't figured out belize...idk what to do LMAO, i feel like the cave tubing would be boring.

NO. Definitely not boring. :)

I just scored a pretty good deal for a 5 night on Liberty at the end of this month for $590 for two (hope that's a good deal lol). Seeing as though I've only been on the older ships (Majesty and Enchantment), I'm SO excited for this cruise.

We've been thinking about the snorkeling in Hol Chan but we don't really want to spend the extra $100 per person just to fly to Ambergris Caye and make it in time. We don't arrive until 9 AM and we leave at 6, but there are typically only two snorkeling trips by most companies- one at 9 and one at 2. Should we just ditch the snorkeling in Belize? I know it's supposed to be wonderful, but it seems like it will take SO much time and $$ to get out there.

Anyway, my boyfriend and I love a good adventure, and we wanted to know what your top suggestions are for things to do in Cozumel & Belize City. Places to eat, shop, things to see and do, all of that! :D

By the way, that's not a good deal.

It's an amazingly fantastically awesome deal! :)

Hello, we are to be going to Cozumel in April, and I have a couple questions.

I seen where a couple beaches were mentioned.

For Nachi Cocum beach, if you take a Taxi, what is the cost per person each way? What is the charge to use the beach?

For Chankanaab Park, I understand it is $20 per person to use the beach? The $14 for two people to use the Taxi, is that each way?

We are beach people, so we don't need anything fancy to see/do, other than lay on the sand. :)

Hello, we are to be going to Cozumel in April, and I have a couple questions.

I seen where a couple beaches were mentioned.

For Nachi Cocum beach, if you take a Taxi, what is the cost per person each way? What is the charge to use the beach?

For Chankanaab Park, I understand it is $20 per person to use the beach? The $14 for two people to use the Taxi, is that each way?

We are beach people, so we don't need anything fancy to see/do, other than lay on the sand. :)

The cost for Nachi Cocum is $55 per person for the day. I believe the taxi fare is about $17 for up to 4 people, each way.

Edited by clarea

Those were the rough prices last year -- maybe a buck or two in either direction. And yes, the taxi price is each way. No food/drink is included in this cost.

Cozumel is one of the places where I would NOT get a ship excursion. It is a very easy DIY port. If you want a beach, there are lots to choose from and its a quick cab ride from your port to any of the beaches.

I think most of the private excursions in Coz are going to be okay. The island is small enough that you shouldn't have a problem getting back to ship.

Belize - we did take a ship excursion (Carnival) there to Sergeant Caye to snorkel, but we weren't that impressed. We heard very good things about the cave tubing, and wish we had done that (which was our first plan, but we changed it last minute).

Cozumel, I'd take a nice long walk downtown. It's about an hour. Or you can take a cab to where Senor Frog's is. Then I find the garish "Viva Mexico" place and walk away from the shore two blocks to 10th street. Then I turn right and go half a block to La Choza. And there I eat the best room-temperature ceviche ever and drink Negro Modelas until it's time to go back. Because that is both peaceful and tasty.