When is the best time to book a cruise?

Hokapontas

I have my first cruise coming up in June and have been reading lots in the forum. I noticed today a new set of cruises just became available to book. When is the best time to book- do you have to book now just to snag a preferred room, or do you wait for deals to arrive?

You book the day it comes out.... You have the most choice, the best perks like gratuities, laundry, internet etc.

Later you might think they cut the price when in fact they lower the price by elimination of the extras AND you have no choice My current cruise I booked 15 months out. The price for the same cabin rose $600 and dropped the prepaid gratuities and on board credit That's a price increase of almost $2000. if you booked today....50 days out

I can only say for me, but I have not seen the net price drop on Oceania .

Other mass market ships have wild fluctuations and fire sales.... but at this level you get what you pay for.

Booked a b/b 2015 cruise today first thing this morning. It is the only way to get the exact cabin you want and usually get it for the best price. This is is especially important if you book cabin categories which have few cabins such as some suites and ocean views.

Edited by orchestrapal

Just booked a Nautica cruise yesterday, the first day bookings were allowed. The earlier you book, the longer you get to enjoy the anticipation of the cruise, and enjoy the planning for the ports of call.

Aha. Does anyone ever put down a deposit on their preferred room and drop out? Before penalties apply? Is this any sort of a thing people do? I do agree about the perks added, but the fares on today's offerings seem a bit steeper than I paid. That was back in early October. Like Thousands.

Aha. Does anyone ever put down a deposit on their preferred room and drop out? Before penalties apply? Is this any sort of a thing people do? I do agree about the perks added, but the fares on today's offerings seem a bit steeper than I paid. That was back in early October. Like Thousands.

For North Americans you can drop out before penalties

Not sure how it works for other Countries some lose the deposit or a portion of it

I would check before booking something if you might not be sure of the cruise

I always book with the intention of going but sometimes life gets in way of cruising;)

Lyn

Just booked a Nautica cruise yesterday, the first day bookings were allowed. The earlier you book, the longer you get to enjoy the anticipation of the cruise, and enjoy the planning for the ports of call.

I'm with you Riverpig!

If you are serious about going, especially on single ran tours, the answer is immediately upon opening. We're on the 2015 Sydney to Auckland on Marina. The cruise was first offered in Sept 13. We signed up first day to get our cabin. Everything Concierge and above was waitlisted or sold out by Nov 13, the rest of the ship by Jan 14. If you go to the Oceania website, the cruise is not offered for sale, and doesn't pop up as even being a listed tour, and we're still 11 months out.

My TA books a lot of Oceania, as well as other, cruises and has a lot of cruise customers. She tells me she has multiple customers that will book and reserve up to six (6) cruises a year, and then cancel up to four or so of them as they work out their schedules during the year. Usually they don't cancel until the lastest date possible to not lose any of their deposits. $1500 isn't a lot of money for many of the O passengers, especially when they would only be getting 0.05% with the money sitting in the bank. It's easy for them to look at the brochures and say " I might like to do that, and place the call." Locks many people out of those itenaries that can't do extended cruises without more than 120 day planning. But, that's life and the real world.

If you are serious about going, especially on single ran tours, the answer is immediately upon opening. We're on the 2015 Sydney to Auckland on Marina. The cruise was first offered in Sept 13. We signed up first day to get our cabin. Everything Concierge and above was waitlisted or sold out by Nov 13, the rest of the ship by Jan 14. If you go to the Oceania website, the cruise is not offered for sale, and doesn't pop up as even being a listed tour, and we're still 11 months out.

My TA books a lot of Oceania, as well as other, cruises and has a lot of cruise customers. She tells me she has multiple customers that will book and reserve up to six (6) cruises a year, and then cancel up to four or so of them as they work out their schedules during the year. Usually they don't cancel until the lastest date possible to not lose any of their deposits. $1500 isn't a lot of money for many of the O passengers, especially when they would only be getting 0.05% with the money sitting in the bank. It's easy for them to look at the brochures and say " I might like to do that, and place the call." Locks many people out of those itenaries that can't do extended cruises without more than 120 day planning. But, that's life and the real world.

Use caution doing multiple bookings and cancels... several people have been banned for life from booking Oceania for doing the multiple booking game.

Book only what you want, consider others. I cant fathom a person so fragmented that they cant figure out their schedule even 6 months in advance.

Most of us are together a year or more out.

As to .05%.... I would guess that the majority of Oceania customers are getting not less than 10.0 to 20.0% on their savings/investment..... Heck 4-6% dividends are all over the place !

Hiawaiidan;

My TA says she never seen anyone banned for to many reservations and cancellations, however, as a TA, if O or the other cruises thought it a problem they would contact her first to resolve the proble. I didn't mean to imply that people were booking all 6 cruises in a year solely on O.

FWIW, the only people I've seen banned from O was for unacceptable behavior on board.

I agree with only booking what you honestly believe you will do, however, unfortunately a lot of folks don't do that. The turnover of bookings on these cruises is incredible. We wanted to do the 2014 AU and NZ cruise. Much like the 2015 cruise, it was booked out early and taken down off the site. Before being taken down, we asked about being wait listed for an A2, and they told us we would be #15 for an A2 and 20 for an A1 .In Oct or Nov of last year, when money was due, the crise popped back up again with availibility throughout the boat. The cruise was advertised as available until the day it sailed. We had already booked the 2015 cruise and couldn't change our schedule to accomodate the 14 sailing that late. A hell of a lot of people are booking cruises early and cancelling.

As to your latter point. If they received 5% dividends on $1500 for the 9 months to hold the reservation, it would have paid a whopping $56.25. Chump change in the big scheme of things. For many the question : Do I lock in a PH or Concierge Suite for a cruise I may want to take in 15 months? Cost of money $56.25. Chump change. Wish for the very popular single cruises O makes they would raise the cost of the deposit, but I guess FDR is a lot smarter guy than I. :p

Actually, Hawaii Dan is right. As I recall several months ago some people were banned for doing just that, but in their case they were booking numbers of room on numbers of cruises. I don't think individuals who book one cabin per cruise, and then change their mind, would suffer the extreme penalty.

After all, when you book a year or more in advance things CAN come up that you didn't anticipate.

Mura

• 2 weeks later...

From what we've seen, the price doesn't vary (up or down) very much. As others have said, if you want a particular stateroom, you book early. However, if you're not picky, or want one of the more common categories of staterooms (for example, verandas) you can wait and there may or may not be a change of any kind. If you book early and want to buy trip insurance, keep in mind that if you need coverage for pre-existing conditions, almost all companies (except perhaps if you purchase from Oceania or a travel agent) require that you purchase your insurance within 10-14 days after you put a deposit down. In most cases, once you purchase that insurance, you cannot cancel it - although I suppose some companies will let you transfer it to another cruise.

If you're interested in the G inside cabins (perfectly nice, by the way - just no window or veranda!!) those tend to go fast, especially on the smaller ships. So do the Owner's Suites.

I have been watching the Lisbon to Barcelona cruise on Insignia for about 6 months now. It still has free gratuities, internet usage, and air for the same price we booked 7 or 8 months ago. There are still plenty of empty cabins, however, so it is obviously not a bestseller and may not be representative. However, in general, my experience with this cruise parallels my experience when I've tracked others on Oceania - not that much change in price or amenities, so the sooner you book, in my mind, the better - but you're not running a huge risk if you wait a while! Of course, there is a promotion ending March 31, so this is a timely question for some. I'm curious to see if anything changes on those featured (and non-featured) cruises in April. (I'm guessing not much, but who knows?) In any case, I have never seen a cruise go DOWN in price, so I'm glad we booked the Lisbon cruise when we did. Now the inside G cabins are waitlisted, and I would be spending more money (although not a lot) if I had not booked mine when I did.

Oh, and if you are thinking of purchasing an air deviation I wouldn't wait until 2 months prior to the cruise to book. There is a time limit for when you can get air reservations under the deviation, and I forget what it is. However, it is generally best to get Oceania to nail down your flights as early as possible in case seats are limited on the better flights.

Edited by roothy123

It's just not fair to book multiple bookings and very selfish if you do......But the best time to book a cruise is when you know which one you want and book it as soon as you can. That way you get the cabin you want.

I wish "O" would charge a large cancel fee to stop multiple bookings. That way cabins would be available for people that want to purchase them.

Rick

Book as soon as possible if you are reasonably sure you can go. You can get amazing savings from booking very early and cruises and shore excursions sell out months in advance. We are going on a 34 day South Pacific cruise in January 2015 and there is now a "wait list" for every category. I received early notice of this cruise and booked it the very same day last summer.

Rosemary

It's just not fair to book multiple bookings and very selfish if you do......But the best time to book a cruise is when you know which one you want and book it as soon as you can. That way you get the cabin you want.

I wish "O" would charge a large cancel fee to stop multiple bookings. That way cabins would be available for people that want to purchase them.

Rick

Airlines charge $200 just to change dates... and fares are non-refundable in all but full fare/first class. And even in some cases ( like Hawaii that charges $400 to cancel a full fare/refundable first class ticket) still has administrative fees in the hundreds.

Should be Book the cruise and cabin you want when you see you have the time and money. and require 25% down..." non refundable after 14 days".

and for which you can buy insurance for legitimate cause like health reasons, but not for No I don't thinks so decisions.

That would sort out things, keep the records neat and manageable and put responsibility on the passenger to only pick what he is sure of.