Restricting General Access To Sky Lounge

ABoatNerd

A good evening:

In reviewing member reviews and information in recent posts, I have gained the impression that the Sky Lounge is increasingly unavailable for use by guests - private functions prevail.

This is a family favorite location on the ship and really the only location where guests may sit in comfort and enjoy the ocean.

Is there a new Celebrity policy behind this seeming trend?

It seems that the loss of use of this general public room is in keeping with the elimination of other former public rooms on Celebrity vessels.

Yet another not acceptable trend on Celebrity ships.

ABoatNerd

I have seen it closed several times on past cruises. But at least for us, never at night. Just for a few private events for an hour or two during the day. It never really caused us too many problems.

A good evening:

In reviewing member reviews and information in recent posts, I have gained the impression that the Sky Lounge is increasingly unavailable for use by guests - private functions prevail.

This is a family favorite location on the ship and really the only location where guests may sit in comfort and enjoy the ocean.

It seems that the loss of use of this general public room is in keeping with the elimination of other former public rooms on Celebrity vessels.

ABoatNerd

Have you personally witnessed this situation?

ABoatNerd here.

Yes, I had been required to leave the Sky Lounge numerous times on my last year May TA from Miami on the Connie and my Med cruise on Solstice.

Most of each afternoon the rooms are locked up - they reopened around 4 pm each afternoon just in time for myself and family to arrive with our plates loaded with afternoon tea goodies.

I gather there are so many loyalty gatherings these days, they need the room for these events.

This is the only venue on the ship where it is quiet and you can watch the ocean in comfort. There are many patrons who enjoy this room and it is a shame that it is increasingly not available.

ABoatNerd

ABoatNerd here.

Yes, I had been required to leave the Sky Lounge numerous times on my last year May TA from Miami on the Connie and my Med cruise on Solstice.

Most of each afternoon the rooms are locked up - they reopened around 4 pm each afternoon just in time for myself and family to arrive with our plates loaded with afternoon tea goodies.

I gather there are so many loyalty gatherings these days, they need the room for these events.

This is the only venue on the ship where it is quiet and you can watch the ocean in comfort. There are many patrons who enjoy this room and it is a shame that it is increasingly not available.

ABoatNerd

The "Loyalty" gatherings are held between 5-7 in the evening:confused:

We were on the Connie in December for a 5 night cruise. The Sky lounge was closed the last 4 afternoons/nights and sometimes during the day for private functions. Elites got vouchers on that trip. Was disappointing not to know when they were closed, and the fact we did not get to use the lounge very much--that's where we like to chill out. A while back, there was a whole thread on this--9 Dec 2013 sailing. :(

I was on Solstice for the first time in Oct 13 and really didn't like that the Sky lounge was shut every evening from 5-7 for the elite happy hour. We would leave the lounge after trivia at four and take the two seats just outside the lounge and play cards. It was so sad seeing so many people turned away. I will have elite status for the first time on my next cruise, and while I want to experience the perk of the happy hour I can't shake the discomfort associated with attending and simultaneously not liking that they shut the lounge to everyone else. I always get the premium drink package so that is not the reason for attending, but I just like the idea of getting dressed up a bit to attend what seems like a cocktail party. I know there are limited areas on the ship and space required varies each cruise based on elite numbers, and I do not like the idea of vouchers so I can easily see Celebrity's difficulty in finding balance.

On Eclipse last July it was closed a few times in the evening as a result of a group of Brazilian Solicitors having gatherings. The CD mentioned on his TV broadcast that it was open to everyone but the sign on entering clearly said No Entry, Private Function.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The lounge or sometimes a portion of it is reserved for the elite happy hour. They have to have it somewhere.

It's always something, isn't it? :rolleyes: 900+ feet of ship, there's got to be someplace to satisfy even the most vociferous complainer

Why can't people just think that there are other passengers using that space and enjoying it and find another space?

If it helps, tell yourself oh that space is at full occupancy now so for safety I'll go someplace else.

Yes groups sail theses ships, yes they sometimes arrange to reserve private spaces for their groups and events. This is part of cruising.

Should a single travelers desire to use a space trump that of a large group who wants to reserve it? Of course the converse argument can be made, but it's really 6 in one, half dozen on the other.

Sometimes when I go to my favorite restaurant they are out of my favorite dish. I simply select another. Simply select another venue and come back in an hour once its repined for general use.

We were on the Connie in December for a 5 night cruise. The Sky lounge was closed the last 4 afternoons/nights and sometimes during the day for private functions. Elites got vouchers on that trip. Was disappointing not to know when they were closed, and the fact we did not get to use the lounge very much--that's where we like to chill out. A while back, there was a whole thread on this--9 Dec 2013 sailing. :(

Re cruising & participation in a thread: December 9, 2013 "Private Function"

Sky Lounge and Solarium closings for "Private Function" were major disappointments for my group.

Celebrity posted intent to look into it. Did Celebrity think that was the answer?

The Ceo/Celebrity Management was leading the private function.

jls

Is it acceptable to close a lounge for Captains Club elite functions?

Is it acceptable to close Michaels and use as a VIP lounge during the day?

Is it OK to limit BLU to Aqua only, it's a space on the ship after all and I paid to use the ship, so I must be able to go there - why can't I go there?

Is it acceptable to have Michael's available only to suite guests during the embarkation process?

Why isn't martini bar open 24 hours, it should never be closed since I want to visit it and I paid to come on the ship.

A good evening:

ABoatNerd

We were on the Equinox Fe 10-21. We spent many afternoons in the Sky Lounge after getting drinks from the Mast Bar and then reading. Several times there were functions there, like Trivia, some kind of Millionaire game, etc. We were not asked to leave, but did anyway because it was kind of loud. Went to Quasar which was usually empty.

I think the Sky Lounge was closed everyday at about 4 or 5 and we did have to leave because of the Elite gathering.

There are plenty of other places to go for some peace and quiet: Quasar, Cellar Masters, etc. However, if you want service you may have to get up and get your own drink. I never gave it too much thought.

OK, so now we know that Cruise Critics are allowed special access, but no other groups on board.

Glad that's settled.

We all know we are better than the rest anyway, and should have the single exception to closing venues for private access. :eek:

Edited by cle-guy

Is it acceptable to close a lounge for Captains Club elite functions?

Is it acceptable to close Michaels and use as a VIP lounge during the day?

Is it OK to limit BLU to Aqua only, it's a space on the ship after all and I paid to use the ship, so I must be able to go there - why can't I go there?

Is it acceptable to have Michael's available only to suite guests during the embarkation process?

Why isn't martini bar open 24 hours, it should never be closed since I want to visit it and I paid to come on the ship.

I think it boils down to - you can close off something for an event I'm invited to, but don't do it when I'm not invited.

My feeling, if something is not open, go to another location or come back another time when it is open to all. There are so many places on the ship and so many things to do, that the closing of one venue for a short period of time should not be the end of the world.

Why can't people just think that there are other passengers using that space and enjoying it and find another space?

If it helps, tell yourself oh that space is at full occupancy now so for safety I'll go someplace else.

Yes groups sail theses ships, yes they sometimes arrange to reserve private spaces for their groups and events. This is part of cruising.

Should a single travelers desire to use a space trump that of a large group who wants to reserve it? Of course the converse argument can be made, but it's really 6 in one, half dozen on the other.

Sometimes when I go to my favorite restaurant they are out of my favorite dish. I simply select another. Simply select another venue and come back in an hour once its repined for general use.

The funny part about this thread is that WE are one of the groups that they close the space for.....lol

No one seems to mind when it is a cruise critic meet and mingle, or a Captains Club gathering......

There are weddings on ships, corporate events and a lot of other stuff.......get over it.

The question was asked if this is a new policy. Renting space to groups has always been Celebrity's policy. Sometimes they pay big bucks for exclusive access to a venue. Meeting rooms, conference rooms, sky lounge, all have been rented out at different times, nothing new is going on

I get the feeling there is a sense of entitlement. :D

It is a sense of reward for being loyal to X. Personally, I don't care if they change the venue of the happy hour, but if there are a lot of elites, that venue is about the only bar on the ship that will handle those numbers.

On some cruises, when the elites are not a numerous, they open up about half the bar to the entire ship.