Brilliance not for younger cruisers

A very interesting discussion. A few years ago I read the book, "Amusing Ourselves to Death." It was about the role of entertainment in our society. If anything, entertainment has an even bigger role today. It seems that, increasingly, many of us are bored without lots of activities. Is it because we don't like our own company? Is it because we have lost the art of entertaining ourselves? I don't have an answer, because I, too, like to be entertained. I have to admit, though, that I tend to get up early on a ship because I want to see and do as much as I can. I don't nap, and so I am ready to crash well before midnight.

I am looking at the Brilliance in April 2015. I want an itinerary that stops in Key West and this fits the bill. I like variety and one of my best cruises was on the Monarch (I miss her). I am not a late night person, but neither do I want to watch walker races. I am sorry you did not enjoy your cruise and I hope your experience is not the norm.

I've never been on a cruise I didn't enjoy. Our first cruise was on NCL, 11 night cruise to Hawaii. I think we were probably the youngest family on the ship but we really enjoyed conversing with the seniors. Someone advised us that the longer the cruise the older the passengers. They also told us to try RC. As you can see we love RC but would cruise again on NCL if the right itinerary and price presented it self,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A very interesting discussion. A few years ago I read the book, "Amusing Ourselves to Death." It was about the role of entertainment in our society. If anything, entertainment has an even bigger role today. It seems that, increasingly, many of us are bored without lots of activities. Is it because we don't like our own company? Is it because we have lost the art of entertaining ourselves? I don't have an answer, because I, too, like to be entertained. I have to admit, though, that I tend to get up early on a ship because I want to see and do as much as I can. I don't nap, and so I am ready to crash well before midnight.

There is another side to 'entertaining ourselves' --- too much concentration on handheld games, to the exclusion of person to person interaction.

I want a ship that has lots to do, lots for me to choose from to do, lots of ways for me to interact with others. I don't bring on board, an Ipad for word games; although I have brought a book to read (usually 1 for a weeklong cruise, and my music player for the gym), which usually gets finished. Plenty of people can be seen with their headphones on sitting by the pool.

I get up early on my cruises as well -- get to the gym, before breakfast and off to whatever excursions are planned. Oh Gee, how I wish I could be so motivated to go to the gym before work -- amazing. Yet, I squeeze in as much fun stuff to do after dinner as well. It amazes both DH and I, that we can keep such long hours on vacation, when at home we surely can't. But I digress.

I surely don't want to feel like I am in a rest home, while on a cruise ship.

Sorry, although I'm sorry you did not enjoy your cruise, you are not giving an impartial review.

It is incorrect to say 'literally everyone onboard was in their 70s' because we're not (no where near), and neither are the friends we met either...

Accuracy was not exactly a strong suit of the OP. OP immediately disproved her own "literally everyone onboard was in their 70s" by immediately identifying other passengers who were under 70. Perhaps she does not know the meaning of literally:confused:

I am looking at the Brilliance in April 2015. I want an itinerary that stops in Key West and this fits the bill. I like variety and one of my best cruises was on the Monarch (I miss her). I am not a late night person, but neither do I want to watch walker races. I am sorry you did not enjoy your cruise and I hope your experience is not the norm.

Key West was my favorite port Took the conch train cheaper thru Royal than directly. 19 Bucks very educational try to get Ken for your guide. :)

We were on the same sailing as the OP. We also are getting very close to crossing that 70 milestone and I too use a scooter getting on and off the ship only. That being said, I do have to agree about the unusual number of scooters, walkers, wheelchairs and canes on this cruise. Having over 45 cruises, we remarked right away that we had never seen this many older people needing help getting around the ship.

I also agree with the Op about some of the music around the ship and the time entertainment started in the Pub & Schooner Bar. Even though we never went to bed before 12 or 1, We would have liked more variety of music in the evening.

Our biggest complaint was that on port days when we returned to the ship, we wanted to sit on our balcony and read while enjoying a glass of wine. This was impossible was they were sanding a metal piece on the deck below us and we had to listen to this sanding going on for hours. We ended up having to go inside both days.

Thankfully we were on this cruise with friends. Otherwise, we too would probably have been bored. Definitely not one of our favorite cruises!

Hi we were on the Feb 22nd sailing. However talking to our bartender he said its always an older crowd on that ship. He did say that the 4 day on the weekend was much better.

But honestly besides the crowd what about a darn reggae band by the pool. I don't want to hear the pool band playing achy breaky heart by Billy Ray Cyrus. That's absurd. I am sorry but after cruise/ sea pass/ and air we paid 2500 for a 5 day vacation and it was not good. I expected a CARIBBEAN vacation with a reggae band and an outdoor bar open past 6 pm like on ALL my other cruises.

Sorry Traveler Thom about using "literally" Ill go with 90 percent then. Is that better?

This was just for anyone who was planning on booking the 5 day. I just wanted to make other people aware of the situation onboard so they could make an informed decision. If I had known I would of stuck with the Exp and not switched. If I can help someone and save them from spending a ton of money on a vacation that might not be what they are used to then I want to. We looked forward to this for such a long time and had our countdown clocks going.

We listened to all our Caribbean songs on our ipod for a month leading up to it. We would say cant wait to hear this while sitting by the pool. The music was so horrendous at the pool we left the area :( We talked about how we could sit and watch the sunset outside at the Sky Bar like we ALWAYS do on EVERY cruise...we would scream "OUTSIDE BABE!!!!" It has been freezing here and this winters been so awful we just really needed this trip.

PAULETTE - I have been on the Monarch and had a blast and the night life was wonderful. But if it is changing, pax who are paying have a right to know. I mean our compass was a joke. If you didn't go to the Dining Room or Production Shows (which I have seen a million times) then there was nothing to do except listen to a man play classical guitar or violinists... Not my cup of tea and 5 days of that..ughhh. Like I said the Pub and Schooner never got started til 10 pm most nights. There was nothing to do between 6 and 10 which I could care less IF the outdoor bars were open. I don't want to sit inside on a cruise

Bellalgo Breeze - I honestly don't care that people are 70 yrs old. It wasn't about that entirely. It was the lack of entertainment mostly that was the problem. My husband and I made our own fun but theres only so many times you can listen to the piano player in the Schooner make the same corny jokes :rolleyes: LOL This was just to warn other cruisers so they could make a smart decision. As bad as the trip was it was better than shoveling snow - just would of chosen a different ship

Edited by mariapd719

Hummm. I'm 26, and my girlfriend 22.

We were on Brilliance in December. It has been, by far, the best cruise either of us have ever been on.

Ships like Oasis, as awesome as they are, are just too jam packed with events and people for my taste.

Hummm. I'm 26, and my girlfriend 22.

We were on Brilliance in December. It has been, by far, the best cruise either of us have ever been on.

Ships like Oasis, as awesome as they are, are just too jam packed with events and people for my taste.

If someone takes Oasis/Allure on their first cruise (and I'm speaking in general), it must be a huge shock to step onboard any other ship ... especially something like the Radiance-class where the intent is actually to focus on cruising.

I agree with other posters regarding time of travel. We have done the brilliance and other radiance class ships several times. I've not hit 40 yet and never had an issue on finding something to do. Sometimes though I admit you only find little gems of entertainment by wandering the ship as you may not have noticed it advertised - done that a few times (not read the compass properly:D)

Sorry you didn't enjoy. Try one of the larger ships during a more family popular time of the year. You'll love it!

Thanks for posting your views.

Even though we are quite placid cruisers this sounds a little too placid. Was just looking at a 14 Night Trans Atlantic with 3 kids, will look elsewhere :)

Jenni

With kids, on one of the smaller ships, I would do a port-intensive cruise so there is always something do.

We did Brilliance on the 12 night Med several years ago with kids and it was fairly quiet at night. It wasn't a problem because we were exhausted from the ports. I remember that the biggest negative for us was that it was hard to find food after certain hours (besides room service). Everything was closed.

Edited by marci22

I went on Radiance of the Seas out of Tampa, 5 night cruise, in February 2011 and that was not my experience at all.

In fact, the nightlife on the ship was even more than on my Freedom cruise.

Yeah, there were quiet a few elderly passengers but there were also a lot of the younger crowd as well.

I never ONCE found myself bored on that cruise. Guess things have changed in 3 years

Having not been on the Allure or Oasis, I would think comparing them to a Radiance Class isn't a fair comparison. We were on the LOS a few years back for a TA and while the cruise, Ports, Service was excellant, it lacked outside activities around the Pool. Things were advertised but nothing happened. I find if one particular cruise has some minor issues, then it is only that ship and not the intire cruise so never fault the cruise lines or Class of ship. We judge our enjoyment on the people we meet and Ports we are seeing as well as the service from the Staff.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I am about to go on Brilliance next month, and I got pretty scared when I saw the start of this org. posting, because I am traveling Solo for the first time! I seem to have to be the one to try to keep are roll call going! I am hoping the closer we get people will come back to RC to reach out!

I just figure, I am going to make my own fun! I have been loading my phone and epad with music and videos! My first cruise with a balcony, so excited about that.

For all that have been on Brilliance anyone have pix of a cabin and balcony in the 7040 area!

Uh oh, we sail Brilliance the first weekend of April and are in our early 30s :eek: BUT, I'm not worried...

My husband and I actually sailed on the Dream a few years ago in early December. There were scooters literally parked outside every door, so many elderly people, it rained the WHOLE 7 days and we didn't feel there was much to do as far as entertainment. I pretty much felt like you. BUT my sister and her husband did the same cruise last year in the summer and LOVED it. I think it was just a fluke week for us.

I have been on 7 cruises, all RCCL. We did the Brilliance Reposition last Ocotber 13 days and to be honest it was one of the best cruises I have been on.

I have even been on the Oasis, Explorer, Navigator, and Freedom. there were 6 of us and there was entertainment every night. Dance contest, trivia a pool party. Certainly plenty to do. So it isn't all that bad.:)

I really think it depends on the sailing. We did this cruise last year, and DH mentioned that we were the young ones on the cruise (at 50 years old!) as there were so many seniors onboard.

This year, totally different cruise with more families. I really think it is hit or miss with the passengers.

I understand that the entertainment won't change but just wanted to comment that not all sailings were "old people"!

We sailed Brilliance in Sept 2012 and again in Dec 2013. It was a totally different experience each time. Our 2012 cruise is among the best cruises ever. The 2013 cruise was saved only by the friends we sailed with.

We are in our 60's and found the experience so disappointing that I actually sent a letter to RCCL stating our disappointment. The ship and crew seemed a generally unhappy. I do not know if it had to do with changes in Miami, The Captain, or Superiors. We just know it was different.

Edited by Aboat1