Alaska in September

Moriah

We were on the last Volendam Alaska cruise of the season in 2010.

The first night was foggy, so the foghorn sounded most of the night.

But for the remainder of the week, every day was sunny, were able to sit on the balcony, without having to wrap up in layers of clothing.

A glorious day at Glacier Bay.

My items of woollen clothing remained unworn in the suitcase.

We were on the last Volendam Alaska cruise of the season in 2010.

The first night was foggy, so the foghorn sounded most of the night.

But for the remainder of the week, every day was sunny, were able to sit on the balcony, without having to wrap up in layers of clothing.

A glorious day at Glacier Bay.

My items of woollen clothing remained unworn in the suitcase.

September is a "crap-shoot" in Alaska!

Our last late September cruise to Alaska had a great first week but the second week was spent hiding from a typhoon off the west coast of Alaska.

Talk about rocking and rolling at a reported 15 degrees!! I have a photograph of the cabin TV screen showing 82 mph winds hitting the side of the ship. Waves were reported splashing over the bow. Thank God for being on the Inside Passage where we could hide behind an island for a few hours.

The Captain kept us advised when to expect the very bad weather with being exposed to the open Pacific water so that we could "batten-down the hatches" during that time. Thank God for duct tape.

I would still sail the last week of September after experiencing the worst. The typhoon experience taught me that waves less than 27 feet with 30 mph winds were just a minor irritant.

The last cruise to Alaska each season has the ship Shops cutting prices at least 75% for Alaska-themed items. I bought many boxes of smoked salmon for just $2 each (normally $16). The same discounts apply to most of the ports as well.

Wow, I'm loving this discussion - thanks everyone. I hadn't even thought of the light situation. You mean the days are short? How much shorter than in midsummer? hmmm

I hadn't thought about it either for our first cruise (which was supposed to be the only one) until my cousin pointed it out and I realized we missed the "between the ports" part of the cruise. But we had a good time and just had to return in June. (Oh darn!)

Try this link for sunrise/sunset: civil twilight is about 45 minutes after sunset and the same before sunrise (you can still sort of see)

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

For your cruise:

9-23 Juneau: in port 1p-10p: sunrise 6:42, sunset 6:56

(Expect the townspeople to roll up the sidewalks before that)

9-24 Skagway: in port 7:00a-9:00p sunrise 6:08 sunset 6:58

Expect the townspeople to roll up the sidewalks before you leave. Some shops may not be open. Regardless, there is plenty to do and see there. Consider being up and on deck for the sail up the Lynn Canal- before sunrise. If it isn't foggy it is breathtaking. Expect to be at the dock before 7:00 and ships are known to get in early and sort of wait right off the dock area. ( we were on deck an hour before "arrival" and only caught the last mile of the canal. That captain had a reputation of being very early.:( )

Ketchikan sept 26 port time 11a-6:00p

Sunrise 6:02a sunset 6:39p

Enjoy the sailplanes as you make your way toward Ketchikan.

It looks like you will go through Seymour narrows - check with the front desk to see when you are planning to transit it. It has to be done at slack tide. It MAY be during the day on the way back. (That's the east side of Vancouver island.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser