Spring Break on Celebrity

Sun&Sand52

Just curious.... Do you think an April "Spring Break" cruise on X will have lots of kids or Spring Break college kids? I know the line doesn't really attract that market due to the lack of slides, ice skating rinks, etc. But as it would be an April cruise, I am thinking more kids and more chances of an overbooked sailing. But maybe I am wrong???

Just looking for a more relaxed and leisurely type of get away than anything remotely Spring Breaky. Three years ago we were on the Eclipse in April and it was a totally different experience than when we sailed Solstice (sept 2010). But we thought maybe that April sailing was a fluke. It was a packed house on that ship..... Didn't even seem like the same cruise line as the Solstice sailing. It was really odd.

Anyway, was **thinking** of taking a chance on an April sailing this year on Reflection or Silhouette, but not sure. Don't want a repeat of the Eclipse sailing, but really would be nice to get away for a while for some warm sun! Another concern is with all the threads about the loud music on Reflection, that has us shying away too.

Maybe the Fall would be a better time for a relaxing cruise - less crowds I guess. Not sure.... But November is sooooo far away!!

Just curious.... Do you think an April "Spring Break" cruise on X will have lots of kids or Spring Break college kids? I know the line doesn't really attract that market due to the lack of slides, ice skating rinks, etc. But as it would be an April cruise, I am thinking more kids and more chances of an overbooked sailing. But maybe I am wrong???

Just looking for a more relaxed and leisurely type of get away than anything remotely Spring Breaky. Three years ago we were on the Eclipse in April and it was a totally different experience than when we sailed Solstice (sept 2010). But we thought maybe that April sailing was a fluke. It was a packed house on that ship..... Didn't even seem like the same cruise line as the Solstice sailing. It was really odd.

Anyway, was **thinking** of taking a chance on an April sailing this year on Reflection or Silhouette, but not sure. Don't want a repeat of the Eclipse sailing, but really would be nice to get away for a while for some warm sun! Another concern is with all the threads about the loud music on Reflection, that has us shying away too.

Maybe the Fall would be a better time for a relaxing cruise - less crowds I guess. Not sure.... But November is sooooo far away!!

If you are going the week before or after Easter, there will be loads of kids on board, I did it a few times with my kids.

We have sailed in Nov the last few years, and the sailings have been close to sold out. So as far as "less crowds" I dont think so. But you wont have to fret the "will it have a different vibe" of spring break.

If you go over Easter break April 11- Monday April 21st- there will be kids. I've done one over Easter week and the ship had lots of kids but not as many as on Royal Caribbean. I would guess there will be approximately 200-300 kids during Easter break on Celebrity.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

If you are going the week before or after Easter, there will be loads of kids on board, I did it a few times with my kids.

NOT the case on last years 14 night Southern Caribbean on Eclipse. That was the week before Easter and Easter week, but maybe it was 'childless' due to being a 14 night cruise.

Well its depends on the departure port and the length of the itinerary. I used to work for Celebrity in the kids program and mid march to the end of April was high season for us with lots of kids especially around Easter. This does make the Sept. vs. April a very different experience. Does not mean it has to be a bad one but can likely expect more kids on that cruise if it is 7 days or less and if it is a US port.

Edited by georgiaguy

NOT the case on last years 14 night Southern Caribbean on Eclipse. That was the week before Easter and Easter week, but maybe it was 'childless' due to being a 14 night cruise.

That is because it was a 14 night cruise, the seven days before and after Easter are packed.

It has EVERYTHING to do with it being a 14 night cruise!

As an educator, I only cruise during my school breaks, so that means lots of spring breaks in my cruise history (as well as a smattering of holiday cruises).

Anything over 7 nights will have less kids - the vast majority of the parents, never mind the kids, can't get away for that long! My previous school deliberately picked a non-Easter week for Spring Break to help families in their vacation planning… so when you look big picture and consider the country from one end to the other, chances are you'll see an uptick in kids - sometimes a huge uptick - anywhere from President's Day through to the end of April… all around the country, spring breaks hit at different times.

With all that being said, even when I was cruising before I had my own child, I was struck by how well Celebrity navigated the "kid crew". I was still able to easily find places to go that provided the relaxing and much needed vibe for which I was yearning.

I find the parents and families I meet on board Celebrity ships polite and respectful of others… are there the occasional mis-steps? You bet… but I've seen adults sans kids make mis-steps, too.

Now a Disney Ship during holiday season… that's a completely different kettle of fish!! ;)

My upcoming cruise (10 days!) will be my first on Celebrity. I'm hoping for some kids, both young and old, to liven up the place! I don't want crazy, but not looking for a library atmosphere either. A good middle ground will be nice.

Edited by BobbyD

We went on Spring Break last year which was Good Friday and the week after Easter. There were kids but we didn't think it was too bad. My kids had a great time. This year, since Easter is so late, our Spring Break is the week before Easter. We will be on the Silhouette with our kids again. I would think there will be more kids than usual, but after last years experience it wasn't crazy!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just home from cruising on Century (Caribbean cruises out of Fort Lauderdale) --- b2b. 1st leg was 8 days and was everything you would expect on a Celebrity cruise. 2nd leg was 3 days (and supposedly the start of Florida's college break). Hubby called it the "Carnival Century." Still was a fun cruise for us, but "different." Lots of action & "dancing" in the pool area -- very apparent it was a "younger" crowd. It was the first time we've seen a Celebrity passenger drink his beer poured into a "funnel tube." Seemed lots of beverage packages were either bought or given out as promos (since there were lots of half filled drinks and bottles left behind --easier to just get a fresh one, I guess). All 3 nights there were some "gentlemen" in the MDR wearing their baseball caps while dining, and it seems shorts were also acceptable as attire for the formal night in the MDR.

So, not just time of year, but also length of cruise and point of departure will determine the ship's "passenger climate."

Just home from cruising on Century All 3 nights there were some "gentlemen" in the MDR wearing their baseball caps while dining, and it seems shorts were also acceptable as attire for the formal night in the MDR.."

So the Matre'tra'D allowed this? Sad

Just home from cruising on Century (Caribbean cruises out of Fort Lauderdale) --- b2b. 1st leg was 8 days and was everything you would expect on a Celebrity cruise. 2nd leg was 3 days (and supposedly the start of Florida's college break). Hubby called it the "Carnival Century." Still was a fun cruise for us, but "different." Lots of action & "dancing" in the pool area -- very apparent it was a "younger" crowd. It was the first time we've seen a Celebrity passenger drink his beer poured into a "funnel tube." Seemed lots of beverage packages were either bought or given out as promos (since there were lots of half filled drinks and bottles left behind --easier to just get a fresh one, I guess). All 3 nights there were some "gentlemen" in the MDR wearing their baseball caps while dining, and it seems shorts were also acceptable as attire for the formal night in the MDR.

So, not just time of year, but also length of cruise and point of departure will determine the ship's "passenger climate."

Wow, doesn't even seem like an X sailing! I am really surprised...... Not the "vibe" that I would be looking for.

I was looking at the April 19 sailing on the Reflection which I thought would be fairly safe from Spring Breakers as it is so late in the month. But maybe it will be just as full with kids too. I should have planned this better for earlier in the year, but unfortunately did not. Maybe the early fall will be a better time on X for R&R than the last sailing on the reflection. <sigh> :(

Wow, doesn't even seem like an X sailing! I am really surprised...... Not the "vibe" that I would be looking for.

I was looking at the April 19 sailing on the Reflection which I thought would be fairly safe from Spring Breakers as it is so late in the month. But maybe it will be just as full with kids too. I should have planned this better for earlier in the year, but unfortunately did not. Maybe the early fall will be a better time on X for R&R than the last sailing on the reflection. <sigh> :(

Proceed with caution. Easter is on April 20th.

Yep; and there were also nubile teen girls in skimpy bikinis wandering around the Oceanview last Spring Break, fair put me of my lunch that;)

Basically, the ship (Connie) seemed to abandon all the normal restrictions. Only about a dozen or so Elite members in Michaels Club for the cocktail hour each afternoon though.

This will be our first on Celebrity and we are going to be on the Connie March 17.

I will let you know how it is when were are back.

It is our Daughters College spring break, and we are taking her with us.

I was hoping there would be some youth on the trip, but not too much?

The Funnals at pool and hats in MDR are a bit too much for what I want to see on

the Celebrity cruise. :eek:

We will deal if that is what we get, The sun is what I am after :D and 2 fundays at see. I just hope I can get a chair in the sun and not to much eye candy for the Hubby! :rolleyes:

Edited by phnett

Sad, but true!

As we were finishing our dessert the 1st night of late seating in the MDR one of the assistant matre'tra'D 's did ask us how things were. Mentioned the baseball caps (which were being worn at 3 different tables in our immediate area) and he said that some people had not received their luggage before dinner so that would affect their dinner attire. (Ahem.... wearing a BASEBALL CAP?!) The next night was "formal night" -- still saw a baseball cap nearby. and saw someone come down the grand staircase in shorts. If the dress code is not going to be enforced as you enter/ dine in the MDR, then why have the dress policy? (Just eliminate the "formal" night on a 3 or 4 day cruise.... then Hubby would have not worn his tux.)

Sad, but true!

As we were finishing our dessert the 1st night of late seating in the MDR one of the assistant matre'tra'D 's did ask us how things were. Mentioned the baseball caps (which were being worn at 3 different tables in our immediate area) and he said that some people had not received their luggage before dinner so that would affect their dinner attire. (Ahem.... wearing a BASEBALL CAP?!) The next night was "formal night" -- still saw a baseball cap nearby. and saw someone come down the grand staircase in shorts. If the dress code is not going to be enforced as you enter/ dine in the MDR, then why have the dress policy? (Just eliminate the "formal" night on a 3 or 4 day cruise.... then Hubby would have not worn his tux.)

Keep the evening dress guidelines but eliminate the 3 and 4 night Cruises. 7 nights is too short.

Just found out that Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach have Spring Break corresponding exactly to our California coastal cruise.

I do hope they choose Carnival and not Celebrity this year.

The enticement of a free drink package and $599 fares may be enough for our cruise to be a College drinking party. :eek:

Luckily we are retired and kids grown. Now we cruise for US. We do not book in March or April (unless a transatlantic) or over Christmas vacations. We do not cruise in the summer. We only take cruises longer than 9 days.

We rarely have more than 10-20 kids on the ship, which adds to OUR enjoyment.