Passport Cards???

I was looking on the passport website to try and figure out what I need to do to update my name due to marriage. I noticed something about a passport card. It is a heck of alot cheaper to get then a passport book. Can you use this as part of the passport requirements to travel? I was going to use my husbands and two kids birth certificates but this seems better to have, if it can be used to travel on the ship instead. Anyone know??

You could get both as a package deal. I have been using the card on cruises for the last 8 years. No issues. However, people will tell you, they are no good, and you can't use it to fly so you can't get home if you are stranded.....

The good: They fit in your wallet, you can carry them with you, they can get wet. All this means that you will more likely have them with you, instead of in your room where they are no good.

The bad: You can't fly with them and you will most likely leave the in your room.

The middle: You can still get home. It might be a little more difficult, but you will not be stranded on a caribbean beach forever!!!!

I also have the book. Never took them on a cruise.

You could get both as a package deal. I have been using the card on cruises for the last 8 years. No issues. However, people will tell you, they are no good, and you can't use it to fly so you can't get home if you are stranded.....

The good: They fit in your wallet, you can carry them with you, they can get wet. All this means that you will more likely have them with you, instead of in your room where they are no good.

The bad: You can't fly with them and you will most likely leave the in your room.

The middle: You can still get home. It might be a little more difficult, but you will not be stranded on a caribbean beach forever!!!!

I also have the book. Never took them on a cruise.

I wouldn't get both myself, but you make some good points if someone wants to spend the extra money for some minor conveniences.

PS: stranded on a Caribbean beach forever doesn't sound that bad! :)

Edited by bouhunter

I have both. The card is only good for land travel and us port of entry. You cannot fly using the card. I used my card traveling from alaska into Montana through canada. No issues. Last year I used my book on the cruise. However ive misplaced the book in my move last year and will need to use card on the cruise next week.

The cards are best if you travel between the US and Canada (driving/ walking over the boarder) regularly. I have relatives that live in the US but work over the boarder in Canada. This is perfect for them. But you can not use them flying inernationally.

According to the State Department website, it can be used for cruises as long as they are coming to/from the US and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and/or the Caribbean. It cannot, though, be used for air travel, so if something happens and you do not make it back onto your ship, it will be much harder to return home without the full passport book.

I was looking on the passport website to try and figure out what I need to do to update my name due to marriage. I noticed something about a passport card. It is a heck of alot cheaper to get then a passport book. Can you use this as part of the passport requirements to travel? I was going to use my husbands and two kids birth certificates but this seems better to have, if it can be used to travel on the ship instead. Anyone know??

Please excuse my ignorance but exactly what is a Passport Card? How do you get it and how much does it cost?

I think the book was about $155 total with service charge. That's $15.50 a year for piece of mind. Just figure, how much would it be worth for you to get directly home without hassle if you had a family emergency or missed your' ship ?

I wouldn't get both myself, but you make some good points if someone wants to spend the extra money for some minor conveniences.

PS: stranded on a Caribbean beach forever doesn't sound that bad! :)

It's a minor convenience until you *need* to get home for some reason. Then it's a major hassle otherwise.

The US passport office can only issue Passport Cards in the same form (name) as the passport that they are being used to represent. :o

Like others have said they are NOT GOOD for International travel. In many foreign countries they are excepted as an official form of ID. That is good as you don't have to carry your passport all the time when shopping! :)

Edited by Tropicalgal2

You also could have booked in your maiden name or whatever name was on your existing passport. That way you wouldn't have had to do anything...then when it comes time for your passport to expire, change the name then.

so what does happen if you have to fly back from say, Jamacia, and you only have the card or a birth certificate and ID:confused:? I can't believe they hold you hostage and make you live there or the US makes you live offshore.

You would have to see the US Consulate for a temporary passport.

It's a minor convenience until you *need* to get home for some reason. Then it's a major hassle otherwise.

As I posted prior to what you're referring to I would get a REAL passport. I meant if someone wanted to spend the extra $$ for the card also, go for it.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can see if there is 4-5 in a family, where the one time cost gets a little steep for the full passport, but if you are needing it now, chances are you'll need it again over the next 10 years so the cost is amorized over several uses. Also, if you can afford to cruise and all it's hidden/addon costs, I might be wrong, but I'd presume you can afford this expense to avoid potental problems. It's just like buying insurance. No value unless you need it.

so what does happen if you have to fly back from say, Jamacia, and you only have the card or a birth certificate and ID:confused:? I can't believe they hold you hostage and make you live there or the US makes you live offshore.

No, of course not, but you can't just get on a plane and fly home. You have to go to the US embassy or consulate and get approval. If it is after hours or a weekend, good luck with that. Even if you go during business hours, who knows how long it may take when everyone's on "island time?" Meanwhile, if you DO have a passport, flying home is as simple as getting a cab to the airport and booking the first available seat.

If something has happened that is serious enough to warrant me having to leave my cruise to fly home, I imagine it would be serious enough that I wouldn't want any extraneous hassles, i.e. having to worry about going to the embassy/consulate, deal with officials there, wait, fill out forms, wait, answer questions, wait, etc. I want to be able to just go straight to the airport. YMMV

The cards are best if you travel between the US and Canada (driving/ walking over the boarder) regularly. I have relatives that live in the US but work over the boarder in Canada. This is perfect for them. But you can not use them flying inernationally.

Wouldn't a NEXUS card for expedited crossing be even better?

The US passport office can only issue Passport Cards in the same form (name) as the passport that they are being used to represent. :o

Like others have said they are NOT GOOD for International travel. In many foreign countries they are excepted as an official form of ID. That is good as you don't have to carry your passport all the time when shopping! :)

That's not true that they're not good for international travel. The passport cards are perfectly valid for travel within North America and the Caribbean as long as you're not traveling by air.