Quantum, Cape Liberty update

Thanks everyone for their input on the port situation. I totally agree that the port does NOT make the cruise. Anyone ever been out of Galveston? I have and we even had to sit a day in port because our ship was hit and had to be inspected before we could set sail but as my DH and I figured it, it's better than being at work!!

The shuttles are not a big deal for getting on the ship the problem is getting off when carrying your own luggage. Everyone has to drag their own luggage up on the shuttles which slows down the loading process. The backup on the ship is caused by the shuttle loading process. On one of our cruises they were only loading one shuttle at a time under the tent and it was really backed up inside the ship.

Now on the plus side once you get off the shuttle it goes fast. I have never had more than 2 people in front of me at customs.

Hi,

I concur with fred30!

This was a real pain on our last holiday cruise. The shuttle to the ship was painless. However, on the return having to wait in the freezing cold for the shuttle and putting our heavy luggage on was a pain. It's an awful system but it still wouldn't stop me from taking a cruise!

Looks like the same process is underway in Port Canaveral. One day there was just dirt and a week later they have walls up. The link below is to the live webcam of the construction (does not seem to work on iPad) and you can see more walls going up. Try viewing it during the day time.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=873D8514-F022-46B4-94F1-2FDB6070F759&width=&height

Wow. I just checked the webcam this morning and can't believe that they have installed interior walls and are closing up the exterior in 3 days. If Cape Liberty goes this fast, it will be great.

We are starting a major construction project for a new building where I work. There is a lot of excavation and foundation work to be done, but once that is finished, the structure goes up quickly!

Eric

No, people just love to complain about anything. It's a quick 2 minute (if that) ride from the terminal to the ship. Painless.

There will be plenty of other things to complain about when the new terminal is completed. :rolleyes: ;)

too big

Too small

too far

Too Hot

Too cold

Too (fill in the blank)

Wow. I just checked the webcam this morning and can't believe that they have installed interior walls and are closing up the exterior in 3 days. If Cape Liberty goes this fast, it will be great.

We are starting a major construction project for a new building where I work. There is a lot of excavation and foundation work to be done, but once that is finished, the structure goes up quickly!

Eric

Its amazing pace. I cant believe they have half the roof installed this week already. Seeing this, the work at Cape Liberty will be done in time.

The current terminal is not really that bad in Bayonne, even with the shuttle. Cruised from there twice so far. The last time in March I was in my cabin less than 30 minutes from port entrance. I came sorta late ( after 12 noon) in the pouring rain. The first time I arrived earlier and spent 50 minutes in traffic in a cab inside the port area. No worries really. I hope the new terminal is ready when I return for Explorer's last sailaway. Maybe I will get come thru the new Port Canaveral terminal when Explorer arrives 2 weeks later. :D

Denise

The current terminal is not really that bad in Bayonne, even with the shuttle. Cruised from there twice so far. The last time in March I was in my cabin less than 30 minutes from port entrance. I came sorta late ( after 12 noon) in the pouring rain. The first time I arrived earlier and spent 50 minutes in traffic in a cab inside the port area. No worries really. I hope the new terminal is ready when I return for Explorer's last sailaway. Maybe I will get come thru the new Port Canaveral terminal when Explorer arrives 2 weeks later. :D

Denise

In ft. lauderdale they had the Solstice use Terminal 18 a few times before Oasis arrived to ensure they were ready. If they want to make a good impression for Quantum's arrival I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get Explorer to use it once or twice first.

There will be plenty of other things to complain about when the new terminal is completed. :rolleyes: ;)

too big

Too small

too far

Too Hot

Too cold

Too (little amount of bathrooms)

I filled in the blanks :)

Here's an image of the construction at the pier, I was there Saturday....

construfromshipforCC1024x685_zps7f625475.jpg

Thanks for the progress shot! My boss was leaving on the Explorer on Saturday. Looks like sailing weather was very nice!

Eric

Eric, wish I actually sailed....LOL

I've heard that the terminal will be modular so they'll bring in pieces and slap them together.....

I was jealous of those sailing, it did rain on my way home around 2:30 or so but not bad....hopefully the sun came out again....

So the Quantum will sail out of Bayonne to the caribbean until when? it looks as if it is sailing to the caribbean until April and it leaves for Spain in late April? Then on to China? Will it return to Bayonne for caribbean sailings? If so when? very confusing, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to sail to the caribbean in May of 2015 , just trying to check all my options. I would love to sail the quantum to the caribbean. Thank you in advance for any info. you can share.

So the Quantum will sail out of Bayonne to the caribbean until when? it looks as if it is sailing to the caribbean until April and it leaves for Spain in late April? Then on to China? Will it return to Bayonne for caribbean sailings? If so when? very confusing, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to sail to the caribbean in May of 2015 , just trying to check all my options. I would love to sail the quantum to the caribbean. Thank you in advance for any info. you can share.

Quantum leaves for china late April 2015. May 2015 Liberty heads to Bayonne and will said the Caribbean and Bermuda itineraries until November 2015. November 2015 Anthem (Quantum's sister) comes to Bayonne until April 2016. It has not been announced yet whether Anthem will stay in Bayonne permanently or whether Quantum 3 will eventually replace her. I hope this helps.

Here's an image of the construction at the pier, I was there Saturday....

construfromshipforCC1024x685_zps7f625475.jpg

I am not the world's MOST observant human being, but I'm probably not the worst, either.

That doesn't look much further along than what I saw in March.

(good job on the watermark, Meg. Plaudits. :))

I am not the world's MOST observant human being, but I'm probably not the worst, either.

That doesn't look much further along than what I saw in March.

(good job on the watermark, Meg. Plaudits. :))

Thanks MM...there's a reason for it... ;)

They WERE working when I was there....we will see...

The sitework, pilings and footings are never glamorous, but once done, progress is swift. :cool:

Eric

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Agreed. And if they use prefabed sections like they are using in PC, then the building will be up in no time once the foundation is completed. If only Bermuda could dredge that fast!

This is my understanding, though I can not recall all of the sources, as I have read bits and bobs in various places.

Quantum arrives in NJ Nov 10 and sails away May 2, 2015 on an epic 52 day journey to Shanghai where she will, until further notice, service the Asian market.

Meanwhile, Anthem will set sail in Europe for summer of 2015. The port at Southampton is presumably undergoing similar renovations to properly home Anthem. That said, Anthem is, until further notice, is scheduled to have her winter home in NJ.

Interesting enough, both transatlantic crossing for Anthem have been canceled, which is a sever disappointment for me, as I was rather looking forward to spending some sea days on the Anthem Beauty. I will be doing the Maiden voyage with Quantum, and plan to sail her back May 2, 2015.

Presumably this is why Liberty is coming to NJ, to stop the gap between Quantum and Anthem.

My guess would be, RCCL ordered three ships, one for Asia, one for Europe and one for North America. Now based on more current demand planning, moving the 1st of the Quantum series to Asia makes more economic sense. Sadly enough for CC followers, as we are primarily North Americans and Europeans. Can't say I've really come across an associate CC poster from Asia...

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by HeidiAmsterdam

Maybe to Asia so that RCL will not be faced with the vocal dissatisfaction by with their Dynamic Dining roll-out. What a utter disaster. Finally got my dining reservations in place for my Feb. 2, '15 cruise. Still waiting for the Entertainment to open up.