Quantum, Cape Liberty update

I thought they stated earlier that the new "terminal" would be operational for the inaugural Quantum cruise. I don't remember seeing anything about the parking garage being ready. The terminal, pending setbacks, will be ready for sure. I doubt the garage will be ready though. Unless they will get the space ready once the heavy machinery is cleared from putting the terminal framing up???

The garage will be built in the flat clearing to the left if the terminal... it looks like the ground is cleared and ready to go.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using forums app

Is there a map anywhere for the new terminal? Specifically I'm trying to get a feel for using public transportation to exit and get to NYC. Thanks!

It is difficult but not impossible to get to NYC (I assume you mean Manhattan) from Bayonne. You need to take a short cab ride to the Bayonne light rail station, take the light rail to Jersey City or Hoboken for the Path; the. The Path to Manhattan & subway/bus from there.

An alternative is a taxi to the Newark Penn Station where you can take a NJ Transit train to Penn Station in Manhattan, the subway/bus.

Mary

An alternative is a taxi to the Newark Penn Station where you can take a NJ Transit train to Penn Station in Manhattan, the subway/bus.

Mary

It would be easier, cheaper and much less time to take a taxi to the Path Station at either Grove Street or Exchange Place in Jersey City to Manhattan.

Looks like they are starting on the garage today. Since all the iron framing and roof rafters are up on the terminal(s), they have moved all the heavy equipment to the area on the left if you look at the webcam (http://oxblue.com/open/FitzpatrickNJ/CapeLiberty). Looking closer, you can see backhoe's digging holes already. Likely for the pier footings.

Looks like they are starting on the garage today. Since all the iron framing and roof rafters are up on the terminal(s), they have moved all the heavy equipment to the area on the left if you look at the webcam (http://oxblue.com/open/FitzpatrickNJ/CapeLiberty). Looking closer, you can see backhoe's digging holes already. Likely for the pier footings.

Yeah saw them yesterday afternoon starting to work in that area. Hoping they can build a garage in 3 months! Wondering what the big hole they are digging near the elevator will be. Also looks like they have a 2nd level in the far building.

I saw that earlier this week. I hope they'll tilt the camera a bit or provide a wider angle so we can see all of the progress of the garage.

i

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverenoughtime

Is there a map anywhere for the new terminal? Specifically I'm trying to get a feel for using public transportation to exit and get to NYC. Thanks!

It is difficult but not impossible to get to NYC (I assume you mean Manhattan) from Bayonne. You need to take a short cab ride to the Bayonne light rail station, take the light rail to Jersey City or Hoboken for the Path; the. The Path to Manhattan & subway/bus from there.

Mary

It would be easier, cheaper and much less time to take a taxi to the Path Station at either Grove Street or Exchange Place in Jersey City to Manhattan.

These are all ways of getting to Manhattan. However, the most important thing to consider is how well you can manage your luggage and avoiding any kind of stairs.

Cab to Newark Penn Station will run you about $45-55 plus $5/pp NJ Transit train fare. Both stations are accessible and should have porter services, but IMO NY Penn Station is enormous and it can be difficult to find an accessible route through the station.

The last time I checked, Grove St station in Jersey City is not accessible. You want to go to Newport for uptown PATH trains or Exchange Place for downtown PATH trains for accessibility.

I found the light rail to be highly accessible, easy to use and inexpensive. After 9 am on a weekday you should have no problem getting a seat at 34th St. The transfer to PATH at Hoboken or Exchange Place is also easy - elevator down to the station platform and not a long walk between the light rail and the elevator access. Trains originate at Hoboken, so getting a seat after rush hour is highly likely. Exchange Place is the last stop before World Trade Center, so if there are no seats, it's only a 3 minute ride.

On the other hand, I found the NY subway system to be a lot less friendly for folks traveling with luggage. The main problem was unavoidable stairs and narrow turnstiles. Take a cab in Manhattan or carefully check the accessibility of the particular station you are using. The World Trade Center is accessible, but has a lot of walking to get outside. With more walking there is level access to the uptown E train.

Please note that until Jan or Feb 2015 there is no Sat and Sun PATH service between Journal Square and WTC and Hoboken and WTC.

It looks like they are starting to install the overhanging roof on the far left corner of the building closest to the camera. This looks like the loading or unloading section on the latest drawings.

I am assuming the terminal and garage will not be connected so we will still have to drop off the luggage and then go park.

• 2 weeks later...
It's coming along pretty good. Thanks for sharing, Brian. :cool:

They have lucked out weather wise this summer, not extremely hot, and very little rain so far.. Let's see what winter brings

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

They have lucked out weather wise this summer, not extremely hot, and very little rain so far.. Let's see what winter brings

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Right! It appears as if they're trying to get the exterior work completed as quickly as possible before Old Man Winter returns.

for as cold as the winter was' date=' the weather this spring/summer has been lovely. locally, it is said that because of the arctic melt, the polar vortex is going to return. great for penguins, but not humans.[/quote']

I can not wait fot global warming to kick in

Wait a minute check this out

Global warming slowdown 'could last another decade

from

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28870988

Edited by derf5585

They better be wrong! Last winter nearly did me in. :(

I heard a mild winter. Last summer was hot and then the winter was extreme cold. Now this summer is rather cool and from what I heard in a similar way the winter will be abnormally warm. Essentially a year of extremes followed by a year of rather neutral temperatures. Hopefully it's true.

I heard a mild winter. Last summer was hot and then the winter was extreme cold. Now this summer is rather cool and from what I heard in a similar way the winter will be abnormally warm. Essentially a year of extremes followed by a year of rather neutral temperatures. Hopefully it's true.

I like your thinking . :)

Gosh I hope so...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app