Quantum, Cape Liberty update

I think you 1st go through the terminal and then they lower you down by the lifts to the buses and then head to the ship.

But for the lucky ones that can get a reservation on North Star they can swing it over and pick you up.:):):)

Lol!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using forums app

I'm gonna guess escalator/elevator/stairs.

Yeah I didn't mean to ask such a dumb question, but I have been through those gangways and normally you just walk up in kind of a spiral till you reach the top and walk onto the ship. This just looks different. I guess it would be escalator, elevator would take too long I would think get 4000 plus passengers on the ship.

Yeah I didn't mean to ask such a dumb question, but I have been through those gangways and normally you just walk up in kind of a spiral till you reach the top and walk onto the ship. This just looks different. I guess it would be escalator, elevator would take too long I would think get 4000 plus passengers on the ship.

What they need is a people mover like there are in airports.

Hey, How about people movers aboard ship to get you from the back of the ship to the stern easily?

When I look at this ugly, architecturally uninspired, barn of a building and compare it to RCCL's purpose built facilities in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, or especially against the new cruise terminal in San Francisco, all I can say is TOTAL FAIL!!!!!! :(

On the bright side once it's finished at least passengers will have direct access to the ship and there will be no more pier side busses.

Edited by scottamiller

When I look at this ugly, architecturally uninspired, barn of a building and compare it to RCCL's purpose built facilities in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, or especially against the new cruise terminal in San Francisco, all I can say is TOTAL FAIL!!!!!! :(

On the bright side once it's finished at least passengers will have direct access to the ship and there will be no more pier side busses.

Total fail? Wow, tough crowd.

On the bright side once it's finished at least passengers will have direct access to the ship and there will be no more pier side

I think what we've been looking at is likely the rear of the building.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using forums app

I heard from my friend who works at Cape Liberty they are going for the warehouse look to keep with the theme of the surroundings. Guess they are emulating Frank Lloyd Wright, LOL. As long as it is comfortable and efficient inside and gives direct access to ship, it's all good!

When I look at this ugly, architecturally uninspired, barn of a building and compare it to RCCL's purpose built facilities in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, or especially against the new cruise terminal in San Francisco, all I can say is TOTAL FAIL!!!!!! :(.

Not sure if the look is really that critical in this case, when you consider the appearance of the surrounding area. Also, this is a building that you are going to pull up to and drop off your luggage, spend a very short amount of time inside, and then leave. If it is well organized on the inside to handle the arrival/departure processes comfortably and efficiently, then I will be happy!:)

Not sure if the look is really that critical in this case, when you consider the appearance of the surrounding area. Also, this is a building that you are going to pull up to and drop off your luggage, spend a very short amount of time inside, and then leave. If it is well organized on the inside to handle the arrival/departure processes comfortably and efficiently, then I will be happy!:)

Agree.

I agree. It seems a shame though that there aren't any windows at all. I always love sitting at the finger piers at the New York Cruise Ship Terminal and seeing the massive hulls of these mighty ship looming just a few feet away.

Well, hopefully with this new and improved boarding system we'll spend less time waiting and be aboard exploring this fabulous new ship. :D

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Many cruise terminals are in rather industrial areas but still manage to supply a check-in/waiting area that afford excellent large window walls that have views out to the ship itself. Not only does it brighten up the space and make it seem more open and less congested it help builds anticipation for those waiting.

When I think of the well designed facilities that RCCL & Carnival have in Miami, RCCL has in FLL for the Osais class, DISNEY in port Canaveral, Tampa, New Orleans, SFO's new terminal it really is a shame that RCCL and the port of Bayonne have seen fit to construct what amounts to little better than a freight warehouse that can be used for cruise embarkation. No windows, no natural light, no views of the ship, just a big ugly box.

I'll keep out hope that the interior is nicer than the exterior.

I wonder if I am in the minority. As long as there is a comfortable chair to sit in (unlike the one I had in Ft. Lauderdale), clean and plentiful bathroom facilities, I am okay. I am only passing through and if they do it right :rolleyes: it should only be 10 minutes I am in the building. Much better than taking a bus which also did not bother me because the end destination was the same, my ship was waiting for me.

Edited by hac82

I wonder if I am in the minority. As long as there is a comfortable chair to sit in (unlike the one I had in Ft. Lauderdale), clean and plentiful bathroom facilities, I am okay. I am only passing through and if they do it right :rolleyes: it should only be 10 minutes I am in the building. Much better than taking a bus which also did not bother me because the end destination was the same, my ship was waiting for me.

I agree. Even now I've never spent more than 15 minutes from luggage drop off to being on the ship in 6 cruises out of Port Liberty. I know I'm in the minority also, but I'd rather take a bus for a 2 minute ride, than have to walk through a long terminal with my carryon to get to the ship. The bus is door to door.

I agree. Even now I've never spent more than 15 minutes from luggage drop off to being on the ship in 6 cruises out of Port Liberty. I know I'm in the minority also, but I'd rather take a bus for a 2 minute ride, than have to walk through a long terminal with my carryon to get to the ship. The bus is door to door.

My carry-on has its own wheels... :D Bus or no bus it will do just fine. Plus we will no longer have to board on Deck 1 and wait for an elevator. We will board into a more spacious area of the ship like other ports.

I don't really mind the design, I just wish there were large glass windows facing the ship so you can see her while checking in!

As RCCL explains it it will be a mad 100 yard dash from the sidewalk to the ship. So no time to admire the scenery . Whoever has the fastest time will get a keychain.:)

Edited by derf5585

I personally find it a little odd that with all the renovations going on for the arrival of

Quantum there will still be only one pier for docking. You would think that this would be the time to put in a second pier to allow for both a RCCL ship and a Celebrity ship to dock at the same time. Even the bridge has been raised to allow for taller ships to pass under it.

The only bridge ships need to go under from the Bayonne cruise terminal is the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, and they haven't touched that. I believe you are thinking of the Bayonne bridge, which they are going to raise for container ships that go to the Newark ports.

The only bridge ships need to go under from the Bayonne cruise terminal is the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, and they haven't touched that. I believe you are thinking of the Bayonne bridge, which they are going to raise for container ships that go to the Newark ports.

Cruise Critic confused things by posting incorrect information in one of their news articles which said the Bayonne Bridge was being raised for the Quantum. That article now seems to be gone or I cannot locate.

Let's see. Brand new cruise ship. Brand new terminal. And some people still find something to complain about that the view from the terminal isn't what they expected. To quote the great philosopher William Shatner..."Get a life." You are going on a great cruise. Who cares what the view is from the port of departure? Every minute of your vacation experience won't be special. What's next on the list of things to complain about? no monorail running alongside the shoreline with pretty views of your ship as you arrive? You might have to...oh, the horrors...take a normal cab or drive your own vehicle to the port? What a horrible start to your trip! Why your vacation is simply ruined before it begins. Sheesh.

Edited by LoneStarJeffe