What is your favourite seafood/fish dish?

Fishermans Plate (lobster), Garlic Tiger Shrimp, Horseradhish Encrusted Fillet of Salmon.

Mornin Bob. What day or menu is that served on ?

Oh, and my favorite seafood is anything that is served with steak !!

Edited by JYD Hawkeye

Mornin Bob. What day or menu is that served on ?

Good morning. The entrees I listed are from different days.

The salmon is on Mojo.

The lobster is on Jasmine.

The tiger shrimp is on Pimiento.

I've no idea what days these menus are served, except Mojo is usually day 1.

Edited by clarea

I want to make sure I hit all the highspots.... I've combed the menus but it doesn't look like fresh oysters are anywhere?

Grilled JohnDory with a brown shrimp butter sauce, with a glass of chilled Domaine Leflaive. :D

I want to make sure I hit all the highspots.... I've combed the menus but it doesn't look like fresh oysters are anywhere?

My fish/seafood preferences:

• The horseradish-crusted salmon
  • Pan seared sea scallop appetizer
  • Garlic tiger prawns
  • Royal seafood salad

Unfortunately, the seafood dishes are all rather disappointing given that they only deal in frozen product. One of my biggest gripes about cruising. They spend their days in ports all over the Caribbean brimming with wonderful fresh fish, but all they serve is frozen processed junk.

ouch! not what I was hoping to hear.

Unfortunately, the seafood dishes are all rather disappointing given that they only deal in frozen product. One of my biggest gripes about cruising. They spend their days in ports all over the Caribbean brimming with wonderful fresh fish, but all they serve is frozen processed junk.

This is unfortunately due to the large number of passengers on the ship. It's easier to control inventory via purchases from a food distributor versus attempting to purchase what may or may not be available at a port of call.

I was disappointed that warm water lobster tails (a/k/a spiny lobsters) were served on my New England/Canada cruise. You would have thought that they had plenty of cold water lobster options in Boston while restocking the ship.

Edited by comxkid

Fishermans Plate.......as far as all of the seafood being frozen, just got off of a Celebrity Cruise, went on a galley tour,and the head Chef explained that all seafood on the ship had to be frozen, had something to do with bacterial growth, so you will probably not see much "fresh" seafood on cruise ships.

....the head Chef explained that all seafood on the ship had to be frozen, had something to do with bacterial growth, so you will probably not see much "fresh" seafood on cruise ships.

Definitely harder to keep fresh fish "fresh" versus frozen fish frozen.

Fishermans Plate.......as far as all of the seafood being frozen, just got off of a Celebrity Cruise, went on a galley tour,and the head Chef explained that all seafood on the ship had to be frozen, had something to do with bacterial growth, so you will probably not see much "fresh" seafood on cruise ships.

Sorry, but they're in port every two days. The real reason for this is simple: $$$ They have a captive audience on board and no competition. It's cheaper and easier to offer sub-par processed frozen fish than to acquire fresh seafood.

I'm not saying I'd do it any other way if I ran a mid-level mass market cruise line. I'm just saying the current offerings suck.

Sorry, but they're in port every two days. The real reason for this is simple: $$$ They have a captive audience on board and no competition. It's cheaper and easier to offer sub-par processed frozen fish than to acquire fresh seafood.

I'm not saying I'd do it any other way if I ran a mid-level mass market cruise line. I'm just saying the current offerings suck.

They can only purchase food from certain preapproved vendors. Can't just see a special on live lobsters in Maine and serve them that night. Learned that many years ago when I did some catering - even if the local market was selling chicken as a loss leader that week, I still had to buy and pay more at my approved supplier.

As for fresh oysters, not happening - they would get pretty rank after a day or so. The sushi is also not made with fresh seafood.

They can only purchase food from certain preapproved vendors. Can't just see a special on live lobsters in Maine and serve them that night. Learned that many years ago when I did some catering - even if the local market was selling chicken as a loss leader that week, I still had to buy and pay more at my approved supplier.

As for fresh oysters, not happening - they would get pretty rank after a day or so. The sushi is also not made with fresh seafood.

In my dream world, there would be more premium dining options on board, and one would be a real seafood restaurant. The menu would be determined based on what could be obtained fresh. If this were a viable and profitable avenue for RCI to pursue, all the "limitations" would be easily overcome. The reality is that it's not a profitable model. So we're stuck with bad frozen seafood.

No worries, I just make sure to get my fix of fresh seafood when in port!

It's a nice pipe dream but the reality is, unless you live in or near a port where the fishing industry thrives, you will be eating flash frozen seafood/fish. Unless, of course, you are willing and financially able to have it flown in fresh. :)

I agree, there is nothing better than eating mussles right off the rocks in Washington, or steaming a fresh pot of clams. How about sitting on a dock at a Gulf Coast town eating freshly shucked oyters.:p

Sadly, I think getting fresh fish and seafood from a port of call could be an issue. It would be fun until the first person got sick from poorly handled food by a local vendor. If you think the industry got a bad reputation for Noro, imagine if the press got ahold of a food issue?

Hmm... No doubt its frozen, but "processed junk"?? We've had many enjoyable and tasty seafood dishes aboard, as have many others based on other replies here. We're all just stating personal opinions of course, but personally I'd take exception with the "processed junk" description.

In my dream world, there would be more premium dining options on board, and one would be a real seafood restaurant. The menu would be determined based on what could be obtained fresh. If this were a viable and profitable avenue for RCI to pursue, all the "limitations" would be easily overcome. The reality is that it's not a profitable model. So we're stuck with bad frozen seafood.

No worries, I just make sure to get my fix of fresh seafood when in port!

Actually, that would seem to possibly be a viable model for a premium dining experience. Logistically, they'd have to develop approved local suppliers in each port, but I don't see why it would be inherently not a profitable model? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Hmm... No doubt its frozen, but "processed junk"?? We've had many enjoyable and tasty seafood dishes aboard, as have many others based on other replies here. We're all just stating personal opinions of course, but personally I'd take exception with the "processed junk" description.

Actually, that would seem to possibly be a viable model for a premium dining experience. Logistically, they'd have to develop approved local suppliers in each port, but I don't see why it would be inherently not a profitable model? Sounds like a good idea to me.

I'd be in feet first.

I think it could work also. Hell....Chops could potentially cost $55.00 per person for a dry-aged steak. Why not a fresh seafood option?

That is an interesting idea. But I do have to say that I have enjoyed many seafood dishes over the years on RCI. I think the best was on the new Sabor on NOS. I had grilled red snapper with mango cilantro salsa over mashed plantains and grilled poblano pepper. Yum!

I will confess to being guilty of painting the seafood selections with an unfairly broad brush on that one. There are some options that are less "processed". But a lot of the items (crab cakes, any seafood items that are stuffed, the selection used in the fish & chips) are most certainly "processed junk".

I'm a seafood snob, and I don't generally bother unless it's fresh or at least very simply prepared with wholesome ingredients.

I will confess to being guilty of painting the seafood selections with an unfairly broad brush on that one. There are some options that are less "processed". But a lot of the items (crab cakes, any seafood items that are stuffed, the selection used in the fish & chips) are most certainly "processed junk".

I'm a seafood snob, and I don't generally bother unless it's fresh or at least very simply prepared with wholesome ingredients.

You live in New England. You can be a sea food snob because of where you live.

I'm from the Gulf Coast of Florida. While I may not be a sea food snob (and I'd have every right to be based on location), I am most definitely an orange juice snob. So I understand your plight.