Paris and the Heartof Normandy

CWRob

I would like to visit the beaches of the Normandy invasion. My question is concerning the day tour in Vikings above river cruise. Is the emphasis on the American sector? I am Canadian and would favor seeing the Canadian landing areas. Or any other cruise that would serve better. I favor Viking as we have a credit. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

We took the Paris to Normandy cruise last April with Uniworld. I seem to remember the guide pointing out the Canadian cemetery but we didn't stop. We were at the American cemetery far longer than we would have wished. It is very large and quite emotionally moving. Flowers were provided to each of us that we might place on any grave of our choice. We'd have liked spending another 30 minutes to an hour at the landing beach where the museum is located. The museum is very small but has some interesting displays.

I would suspect Viking does much the same.

CWRob -

We did Paris/Normandy with Uniworld a number of years ago, and also wanted to visit Juno Beach as we are Canadian. In fact, my father was with the Queen's Own Rifles, and apparently landed there in the 2nd wave (this info came from my husband who talked to my dad about it... he never talked about it with his own children...) AND my daughter was part of a group that went there for the 60th Anniversary of D-Day..

When we were on the boat, we met another Canadian couple who also wanted to spend more time at Juno Beach. They had already talked with the CD - and he arranged a private excursion for us.

We were told to board a specific bus - and told that the bus would stop at Juno Beach briefly (they tour all of the Normandy Beaches, but just drive by, basically....) and we were to jump off. The CD also got off- and there were 6 passengers.

It was amazing... We walked on the beach. We did get some time in the Juno Beach Centre (could have used more time, but were happy with what we got....) and then a mini-van picked us up and took us to the Canadian Cemetary at Benys sur Mer. We met up the the group at Arromanche, and then went to the American Cemetary at Colville, and Pointe due Hoc. The CD figured out what the cost was for the mini-van, and the entrance into the Juno Beach Centre - and then split the cost among the group. We ended up paying 26 euros each for the experience. A bargain at twice the price.... This was completely "over and above" what we were expecting. The CD we had for this cruise certainly set the bar high for all the others that were to follow!!!

I do not know if you will get anything other than an American-focused experience on any of the river boats. One option would be to book your own guide for the beaches in Normandy - perhaps a day excursion from the boat. (If the boat is docked in Rouen, you could hire a guide from there....)

Perhaps call Viking and ask if they have any options? Or, ask about docking arrangements (where, for how long) and look into a private guide.

Juno Beach is not to be missed...

Fran

Edited by franski

Don't forget you are the customer, you can always ask, you may not get the reply you would want but remember in the future what happened, there again you may be pleasantly surprised but you will not know if you don't ask. My dad always said if you don't ask you don't get, my dad was brill!

I would like to visit the beaches of the Normandy invasion. My question is concerning the day tour in Vikings above river cruise. Is the emphasis on the American sector?

Not really, we visited Gold beach before lunch and Omaha after.

I am Canadian and would favor seeing the Canadian landing areas. Or any other cruise that would serve better. I favor Viking as we have a credit. Thanks

For the afternoon they give an option to visit either Juno/Sword or Omaha beach. I was told the Canadian/British option is done regardless of # of people willing to take it.

We did this with Avalon and 3 couples were from Canada. They asked our tour guide if there was any way they could see Juno.

Guide dropped us off in town and then took the Canadians on to their beach. BTW...we skipped the museum and spent our time at the landing beaches and were up on the hills overlooking town. We also saw the German pill boxes, Pont du Hoc, and the American Cemetery.

I imagine if you asked your guide immediately before you began the trip, he/she could plan it with the driver as ours did.

Thank you Canadians for your landings at Juno.

Edited by cbb

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just back from Paris and heart of Normandy cruise. We did indeed have a Commonwealth tour which was mentioned by cruise director early in the cruise. We had 8 Canadians on board. We were on a large bus, viewed the Bayeux Tapestry, had a pre arranged lunch, then spent time at Juno beach and had time at the Juno Centre..... the Canadian museum. We then went to the Canadian cemetery and we're given a rose to lay on a grave of our choosing. We then went to the Pegasus Bridge where the British landed in gliders to take the strategic bridge. Then the British cemetery for a short visit and back to the ship in Rouen. A long day but worth every minute. Viking tour by the way.

Scenic had three buses that went the DDay landing sites. All buses went to Arromanches and to lunch, then 2 went to Omaha and 1 went to Juno. We went to the Canadian Museum, to the cemetery and also to Pegasus Bridge. It was pouring rain so we did not walk on the beach.

Just back from Paris and heart of Normandy cruise. We did indeed have a Commonwealth tour which was mentioned by cruise director early in the cruise. We had 8 Canadians on board. We were on a large bus, viewed the Bayeux Tapestry, had a pre arranged lunch, then spent time at Juno beach and had time at the Juno Centre..... the Canadian museum. We then went to the Canadian cemetery and we're given a rose to lay on a grave of our choosing. We then went to the Pegasus Bridge where the British landed in gliders to take the strategic bridge. Then the British cemetery for a short visit and back to the ship in Rouen. A long day but worth every minute. Viking tour by the way.

Thank you very much for posting your experience. We're doing this cruise with Viking in Nov/15 and I've been wondering if we could see the Canadian sites.

Doing this next July, hope you have time to go into more detail about the rest of the cruise

If your intention is to soak in the history and ambiance of Normandy, a river cruise is not the way to do it. I love river cruising, but this is one trip I would skip.

The first reason I wouldn't do it can be ascertained by simply looking at a map. You really don't go anywhere. The ship goes an extremely short distance and it could be driven in a car in about and hour to hour and 1/2. The advantage of a floating hotel completely evaporates when the distances are that short.

The second, and most important reason, is that you are actually in Normandy for a very short period time on this route. You are bused in from a very long distance, see the absolute bare minimum (and obvious tourist sites) and then bused back to the ship.

This summer my family rented a house directly on Omaha Beach. It was rented for 1/3 of a single cruise fare. We spent a week there and really dug into Normandy. The best parts are in more obscure areas and driving was a breeze.

We hired a private guide for a full day because there were some specific sites we wanted to learn about in depth. This guide is periodically hired by all the major river cruise lines to provide the day tours from Rouen to the invasion sites. His exact words were "If the people who come on river boats think they have visited Normandy, they are kidding themselves." He went on to explain that it is such a short and bare bones tour, that you end up losing the beauty and nuance of Normandy.

We spent a week at the rental house and, while driving back to Paris and CDG, stopped at the same towns the river boats stopped. I would not have changed a thing. We ate at great local restaurants every meal, went to fascinating sites and had the time of our lives. You don't need a logistics degree to plan it either.

I would not make the same statements about any other cruise route we have taken or will take. Just this one and possibly Bordeaux. I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but for the money spent on a river boat from Paris to Rouen, you could plan and execute a great vacation. Even if you stay at a 5 star B&B in Normandy, you save money and have a richer experience than on a river ship.

BTW- Also visit the German cemetery while in Normandy. It is fascinating and beautiful.

EDIT: It is 135km from Paris to Rouen (cruise distance one way) it is 177km from Rouen to Omaha Beach by bus.

Edited by Los_Pepes