princess or celebrity

cruisehome

tell me why I would choose a princess cruise when I can get free booz on celebrity

but in all fairness I love princess better - need some encouragement

:confused: How /Why do you get "free booz" on Celebrity?

LuLu

~~~~

tell me why I would choose a princess cruise when I can get free booz on celebrity

but in all fairness I love princess better - need some encouragement

I got nothing ;)

In all seriousness we picked Solstice with a free drink package over Princess for our next cruise. Mi like both and would usually give the nod to Princess but we both drink so given the price and itineraries are similar I'd pick Celebrity

I wasn't aware that Celebrity included unlimited alcohol with all bookings. That wouldn't be an incentive for me, though. I prefer the better service, food and overall cruise experience on Princess.

I wasn't aware that Celebrity included unlimited alcohol with all bookings. That wouldn't be an incentive for me, though. I prefer the better service, food and overall cruise experience on Princess.

Their current pick your perk includes the classic package on most cruises through April 15 2014

hold on everyone

celebrity gives you a choice of perks either free gratutites, obc or free drinks but I am sure it has to be a balcony or higher and it is only when they are running the program for free drinks

we just came off the reflection with the free drink program and free drinks all 7 days it was great but we were not that happy with the food and the ship was quiet

liked the pizza, desserts and even food better on princess

so go figure

OP is talking about the "Pick Your Perk" promotion where she can choose to have a free beverage program for the length of her cruise.

I've been on a Celebrity cruise where this perk was offered and let me tell you, people were making it pay for them from the wee morning hours until late at night. I have never seen so many people over-indulging in my life.

If free alcohol attracts you, then go for Celebrity. IMO, I'd rather have a more in-control crowd of people sailing with me. Both offer a good cruise experience otherwise so you can't go wrong with either one.

hold on everyone

celebrity gives you a choice of perks either free gratutites, obc or free drinks but I am sure it has to be a balcony or higher and it is only when they are running the program for free drinks

we just came off the reflection with the free drink program and free drinks all 7 days it was great but we were not that happy with the food and the ship was quiet

liked the pizza, desserts and even food better on princess

so go figure

You have to book at least an oceanview cabin on Celebrity to get the 123 perks.

I haven't sailed on Princess since 2011, but sailed on Celebrity Silhouette in 2012 and Solstice in 2014. I like Celebrity's larger cabins - especially the bathrooms. The food and service were comparable on both. However, my next 2 cruises are on Royal Caribbean.

Just off the Celebrity Eclipse and felt the drink package enhanced the cruise experience since many more passengers enjoyed the bars and evening activities keeping the ship lively at night. I never saw anyone over indulging.

IMO each line has their individual strengths and I happily cruise both:D

Just off the Celebrity Eclipse and felt the drink package enhanced the cruise experience since many more passengers enjoyed the bars and evening activities keeping the ship lively at night. I never saw anyone over indulging.

IMO each line has their individual strengths and I happily cruise both:D

I totally agree with that part in bold above. I saw quite a few people stumbling around by the early afternoon, senior citizens arguing over who had the first drink by 9am, etc., but that could've just been my particular cruise too - it was a sold as a wine cruise, so that could be a part of it.

Celebrity's balcony cabins are much nicer IMO but their service isn't quite as attentive as Princess. I'm elite with both lines, but the perks are better with Princess which is why I keep going back to them. OP, if you have status with either line, take that into consideration too. ;)

Even on a ship like the Sapphire which is transitioning to Asia?

Even on a ship like the Sapphire which is transitioning to Asia?
OK. You got me there. However, my Celebrity cruise experience with regard to cabin, amenities, food and service didn't come close to the worst I've ever had on Princess. :( I can only comment based on my own personal experience.

OK. You got me there. However, my Celebrity cruise experience with regard to cabin, amenities, food and service didn't come close to the worst I've ever had on Princess. :( I can only comment based on my own personal experience.

I do believe if you tried a Solstice-class ship you would be won over. Completely different than the Millennium class.

And if you upgrade to aqua class, it gets even better;)

We took our first cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse in January and our TA got us the promotional classic beverage package which we enjoyed greatly, not just for alcohol but also the many large bottled waters and morning lattes that were included. It was great to be able to sample a different glass of wine with various dinner courses and we probably enjoyed more frosty afternoon beverages than we otherwise would (my waist-line can attest to that :)), but didn't notice more loud over-served passengers than any other cruise. If the prices and itineraries were equal I might be tempted by the drinks package and lean towards Celebrity. However we did miss a number of Princess amenities like the Laundromat option (paid $175 in laundry charges over the 2 weeks), and thought Princess' food was better which is subjective, but that was our opinion. Cruise prices can increase to off-set some of the "free" perks so do your homework and decide what's most important to you. Then have a great cruise!

Edited by LoriPhil

And I thought I was the only one who felt that way....

We've sailed with Celebrity twice in 2013 and will again in May 2014. However, our next two cruises for 2014 and 2015 are with Princess. I don't book according to drink packages, etc. Itinerary, price and ship are more important to us. We've had the drink package twice so far and yes it's nice, but we can take it or leave it.

Both lines offer a similar product as to food and service and I think that you'd be happy on either one.

Having recently done my first ever Celebrity cruise on the Reflection with the premium drink package (I upgraded from the free classic), I agree with Pam. It did not even come close to my worst trip on Princess. Yes the cabins are a bit bigger, but IMO the food was not as good and I missed the piazza. The Reflection had many smaller venues rather than the big open concept I am used to. I also missed the aft pool and thought the lawn areas were a waste of space. What was interesting is that bars kept running out of alcohol. Twice I wanted a rum based drink at the Sunset Bar in the late afternoon and I was told they were out of Rum! At the Molecular Bar the manager came by on the second to last night with the last 6 bottles of Grey Goose on board and asked the bartender how many he wanted as there was no more on the ship. So, it is back to Princess for me. Again, this is my opinion and I am sure not everyone will feel the same way.

My first cruise was on the Solstice and I loved it and have credit for a future cruise on Celebrity. We did have a drink package so it was nice getting bottled water when we got off the ship on port days or just having it on the ship or having a drink when we wanted one. I don't think we drank a lot of alcohol though as our itinerary was so port intensive. I looked at Celebrity for my upcoming Alaska cruise but the ship didn't go to Glacier Bay so I am going on Princess and am looking forward to my first Princess cruise.

There is no such thing as "Free". Cruise lines just dont give anything away - You pay for it in the cruise fare - why do people keep falling for these marketing gimmicks ?

Wrong. We paid the lowest price my cruise had been and even lower than it currently is after final payment and got the drink package. After the promo was over for my cruise the price rose to $1,000 more per person and stayed that way until my category sold out. There are just as many like me on the Celebrity Boards as there are those that had a price increase. I paid $1,609

Price Created Updated

$ 2,559 2013‑12‑13 2014‑03‑11

$ 2,309 2013‑09‑19 2013‑10‑17

$ 2,209 2013‑09‑10 2013‑09‑19

$ 2,109 2013‑08‑20 2013‑09‑09

$ 2,009 2013‑07‑11 2013‑08‑19

$ 1,809 2013‑06‑24 2013‑07‑10

$ 1,709 2013‑05‑23 2013‑06‑24

$ 1,659 2013‑04‑24 2013‑05‑23

$ 1,609 2012‑04‑13 2013‑04‑23

Edited by Cruise Junky

There is no such thing as "Free". Cruise lines just dont give anything away - You pay for it in the cruise fare - why do people keep falling for these marketing gimmicks ?
Actually, I sort of cruised for "free" in January on the Sapphire Princess. One hundred percent of my cruise fare has been posted as a credit on my Captain's Circle account.

When I book a cruise, I get a 10-20% discount plus OBC, all of which are "free" or saved money.