Pros and cons to booking with the cruise line

chinamama

I book direct with the cruise line. If & when I see price drops, I can call and have them applied, don't have to go through a third party. Not against using a TA, I just prefer being able to contact the line myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For us it is not even a pro / con issue. We book with large reputable online cruise agencies because it saves us a lot of money! Our record savings, when compared to booking direct with a cruise line, is just over $3000 (and that is just the savings) on a single HAL cruise. We book about 70-100 cruise days a year and we just cannot justify losing thousands of dollars by booking with the cruise lines. Even when our favored agencies cannot offer a better price then the cruise lines (some of the cruise lines have imposed strict price controls) we can always get things like pre-paid gratuities, onboard credits, drink packages, free hotel rooms (pre or post cruise), etc. On typical shorter cruises (i.e.7-10 days) taken by most cruisers the savings will not be as great, but are generally several hundred dollars. Another specific example is an upcoming 14 day Celebrity cruise. We actually booked that cruise while on another Celebrity cruise because we could get an upgrade and a special on board credit for booking while on another cruise. We immediately had that booking transferred back to one of our favored cruise agencies and then the agency agreed to pay for our gratuities which are worth over $300. We also have an upcoming Princess cruise where we were able to get a very nice on board credit ($835) by booking with an agency. If we had booked directly with Princess we would have lost that $835 on board credit. Even if I enjoyed talking to the Princess reservation folks....I do not think my enjoyment would have been worth over $800 :). Because Princess allows the "stacking of onboard credits" we actually have total OBCs that total about 20% of our total cruise cost on this particular cruise.

I should add that all of the well known cruise agencies we use are directly linked to the cruise lines. When we book with them (either on the phone or online) the reservation is immediately available on the cruise line's online reservations system and our credit card charges are also processed by the cruise lines...not the agency.

There are also a few reputable agencies that will literally discount percentage of the cruise booking price (usually 5-10%). And there are also some major retailers (we are not permitted to mention names here on CC) that offer other booking incentives like substantial gift cards. We do not currently use any of these agencies because we can do better elsewhere....but it is another option.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We book via a large travel agency. Their prices for cruises are the same as HAL's.

A plus -- our TA gives us some shipboard extra shipboard credit from time to time -- HAL's doesn't.

The only way we get shipboard credit from HAL is by buying future credits while cruising.

Another plus for our TA and her agency -- we pay for our cruises by using our American Express Platinum cards which gives us $300 shipboard credit, a free night at the Pinnacle and a bottle of sparkling wine. HAL doesn't honor this perk from AMEX.

I'll stay with my TA.

Now that we have thought this over and read some of the other posts we have decided there is only one PRO to booking directly with a cruise line. It is a good way for the booker to get rid of their excess money :). So folks, if you have a lot of extra money sitting in your bank account, then certainly donate some of that to your favorite cruise line by booking direct. In fact, since we own stock in both major cruise corporations (another way to get OBCs) we thank you in advance for booking direct and enhancing the bottom line of our investments.

Hank

We are very careful shoppers for cruises, and have never had a situation where the cruise line offered a better deal (price + OBC) than the large on-line TA's that we have used in the past. The on-line agencies will often offer unadvertised group rates. You have to inquire about specific sailings to see if a lower price exists... they don't display them on their websites.

Ok, so taking this post one step further. If several online TAs are showing the same cruise at one price and your favoured TA has it more expensive, would you ask them to match the cheaper price? I've got a promo code with the TA which could bring the price down even more :-) do you think they would accept both the cheaper price and the promo code (£100 off the booking - which would be better in my pocket).

We book with a TA and typically save 10 o 15% off the Princess website price.

Anyone who pays the "website price" is letting themselves get taken. I have found that after checking various sites, discussing with at least two TA's and having a good ballpark idea, I can then talk with one of the line's " cruise consultants". It's about 50-50 whether a TA or the line gives the better deal.

Because I prefer to choose from specific available cabins and want confirmed (not " requested") dining time, I usually wind up getting what I want, at the price I want, by dealing directly with the line. Sometimes a TA gives a better deal, but not usually. It always pays to shop around.

Ok, so taking this post one step further. If several online TAs are showing the same cruise at one price and your favoured TA has it more expensive, would you ask them to match the cheaper price? I've got a promo code with the TA which could bring the price down even more :-) do you think they would accept both the cheaper price and the promo code (£100 off the booking - which would be better in my pocket).

I would say DEFINITELY ask. It certainly couldn't hurt. All they can say is no.

We have done just this. At least one of our "favored" cruise agencies actually has a policy where they will always match or exceed the offer of their competition. But when we have found a much better deal elsewhere, that agency quickly becomes one of our personal "favorite" agencies until we have reason to take them off our own "short list." We currently have 4 agencies on our favored short list...or which one we just favor when we book cruises with RCI, Celebrity and Azamara. Our other 3 agencies we use for all the other lines (we have cruises on 14 lines).

Hank

Anyone who pays the "website price" is letting themselves get taken. I have found that after checking various sites, discussing with at least two TA's and having a good ballpark idea, I can then talk with one of the line's " cruise consultants". It's about 50-50 whether a TA or the line gives the better deal.

Because I prefer to choose from specific available cabins and want confirmed (not " requested") dining time, I usually wind up getting what I want, at the price I want, by dealing directly with the line. Sometimes a TA gives a better deal, but not usually. It always pays to shop around.

Since we do know (from your posts over the years) that you are a well informed regular cruiser it is hard to debate the issue. We strongly agree (and always post) with your last comment that "it pays to shop around." In fact, once we price out any cruise with our "favored" agencies (this process takes us about 15 min online) we will always check the cruise line's own web site as a final comparison. I should add that all of the agencies we use show cabin inventory (most actually show a bigger selection then we see on some cruise line web sites). If we do have a favorite cabin (or location) and do not see in on the available inventory then we will call the agency (who will often then call the cruise line) to get our wish (if it is available). This actually happened when we booked our upcoming Princess cruise when no Caribe Deck balcony cabins showed on our agency web sites (nor did anything show up on the Princess web site). We called our TA who called Princess (while we were on hold) who did manage to find us a cabin on Caribe Deck. But by booking through the agency and not Princess we were able to get a $835 OBC (not available from Princess). As to dining times, we do not normally have any problem getting what we want....but then we usually dine late or use anytime dining...which never seems to be a problem.

And regarding cabin selection we would mention another issue. The large agencies (and consortiums) often "block out" large groups of cabins on certain cruises. These cabins are taken out of inventory with the unsold cabins not being released until near the final payment period. So using these agencies (consortiums) can actually get you access to cabins that are not even available directly from a cruise line. Once upon a time we wanted a certain type cabin on a certain cruise ship that showed as sold-out. It was a relatively expensive booking (not your typical 7 day cruise) and we really wanted this type cabin. Out of frustration I called the cruise line and got to a supervisor in their frequent cruiser "club" and pressed for some help. We were able to find out that a particular large cruise agency had some inventory blocked out in our type of cabin...and we later booked with that particular agency (now on our favored list). Not sure this would happen these days...but it was a great option at the time.

And then about 5 years ago we tried an experiment with Princess. We found a very good deal with one of our favored cruise agencies and Princess showed the same cruise/cabin at a much higher price. So we actually called Princess, told them the situation, and asked if they would sell us the cabin for the same price as the agency. They nicely told us that "Princess does not compete with their own travel agents" and we should book through the agency. True story!

Hank

Thanks everyone, that helps. I wish we could share agent names..... Where I have looked online, the cost is higher than HALs website, but I get extra's. Wouldn't I rather keep my cash and just pay for what I want?

Last month we booked a B2B with RCCL using our future cruise certificate to book a cabin offered to C&A for a pre-release early booking and no additional deposit. My wife called this morning and switched it over to our online TA. The TA gave us prepaid gratuities for 16 nights a specialty dinner certificate for both cruises and matched the OBC already given us by Royal, They will also give us a additional OBC if we use Choice air during one of their special offers . Happy cruising

Is there a way to get the names of these "favored" on line TA/agencies? My head is reeling with all this great information.

Can anyone give a hint to point us in the right direction?

Edited by JimAOk1945

We always book with a A. We get better rates, more perks and better OBC and if the price goes down, our TA stays on top of it and she ends up calling us saying, "by the way, the price went down and it will reflect on a new invoice so your final payment will be less". If it goes down after we've made final payment, we get a check for the difference, not just an OBC. To the OP: most folks seem to do "better" when working with a TA and I'm sure we all don't use the same one, so just in general, a TA is a better option and you don't necessarily have to use one everyone who has posted uses.

Edited by marco

Thanks everyone, that helps. I wish we could share agent names..... Where I have looked online, the cost is higher than HALs website, but I get extra's. Wouldn't I rather keep my cash and just pay for what I want?

Without knowing where you looked we can say, with some confidence, that you are looking in the wrong place. There is never a reason for a TA to have higher rates then you see on the HAL web site. The rates should either be identical or perhaps slightly lower. In many cases, the savings come from other amenities such as OBCs, pre-paid gratuities, etc. All this is normally clearly shown on the agency web site. Some agencies require that you register and first sign-in before you can get their best rate (this is sometimes a requirement pushed by the cruise lines). Nearly all cruise agencies do not charge any money for registration and you should not deal with anyone who has fees.

Hank

Is there a way to get the names of these "favored" on line TA/agencies? My head is reeling with all this great information.

Can anyone give a hint to point us in the right direction?

The short answer is NO! The reason is that Cruse Critic (which we fully support) has a strict policy of not permitting folks to post TA names. CC is a commercial site and accepts advertising...so they have no vested interest in letting us post the name of competitors. There is also a long history of popular cruise sites (we go back to Genie, Prodigy, AOL, etc) where TA names were often tossed around...and many of the folks who tossed out names either owned or worked for the agencies.

As to hints, we would just suggest you spend a few hours doing research on the internet. You can Google topics like "discount cruise agencies," and other related topics. The scroll through several pages (at least) looking at the various agency web sites and pick out a few that look right to you. Then Google the names of those agencies and scroll down looking for any comments (pro or con). Also check out the agencies on the Better Business Bureau. Once you see a few that past muster, carefully read their web sites, look at their "about us" or similar areas, and read the fine print of their published policies. And then you have a start :)

Word of mouth, when on cruises is also a valuable tool. There is more good cruise info to be found at cocktail parties then anywhere else :).

Hank

The short answer is NO! The reason is that Cruse Critic (which we fully support) has a strict policy of not permitting folks to post TA names. CC is a commercial site and accepts advertising...so they have no vested interest in letting us post the name of competitors. There is also a long history of popular cruise sites (we go back to Genie, Prodigy, AOL, etc) where TA names were often tossed around...and many of the folks who tossed out names either owned or worked for the agencies.

As to hints, we would just suggest you spend a few hours doing research on the internet. You can Google topics like "discount cruise agencies," and other related topics. The scroll through several pages (at least) looking at the various agency web sites and pick out a few that look right to you. Then Google the names of those agencies and scroll down looking for any comments (pro or con). Also check out the agencies on the Better Business Bureau. Once you see a few that past muster, carefully read their web sites, look at their "about us" or similar areas, and read the fine print of their published policies. And then you have a start :)

Word of mouth, when on cruises is also a valuable tool. There is more good cruise info to be found at cocktail parties then anywhere else :).

Hank

I understand. I have already spent quite a long time researching the options on line and there are a lot of good options out there.

You have given me a lot of good direction and new "food for thought" in your reply and I appreciate it.

I agree that word of mouth from a trusted, experienced source is probably the best resource.

Thanks!

Edited by JimAOk1945

So what are the Pros and cons to booking with the cruise line, vs an agency? I am looking at HAL to Alaska, and their price is lower then anything else I am finding. :confused:

The only Pro that matters to me and overshadows all Cons is that I'm dealing directly with the Cruiseline, with no middle man who isn't available 24/7 like the cruiseline is.

I also don't use a PVP with the cruise line. I've sailed enough to know all the in's and out's and don't need their support.

Now that we have thought this over and read some of the other posts we have decided there is only one PRO to booking directly with a cruise line. It is a good way for the booker to get rid of their excess money :). So folks, if you have a lot of extra money sitting in your bank account, then certainly donate some of that to your favorite cruise line by booking direct. In fact, since we own stock in both major cruise corporations (another way to get OBCs) we thank you in advance for booking direct and enhancing the bottom line of our investments.

Hank

You said you booked 70-100 cruise days a year, if I were a TA I'd give you discounts as well :) However, I doubt you've EVER gotten the deals I have by booking direct. I have been able to afford the next cruise based on the savings I scored myself by booking direct...examples (not just one isolated case!)

10 day Mediterranean (Disney Magic cruise) 7 people (3 kids/4 adults) booked inside staterooms was bumped up to Oceanview (big window) for free...total was $4000 with $1000 of On Board Credit provided for by Disney!

7 night Cabo San Lucas...2 adults 6 teenagers...$2600 with $500 OBC inside stateroom Disney Wonder

7 night Eastern Caribbean...(Disney Fantasy) 2 balcony rooms for $3600 for five passengers (3 adult 2 teens)

It's not for everyone, you have to be savvy, keep checking, but there are deals to be found...not finding it as easy to do with other lines...their websites are not as user friendly as I found with Disney cruise line.

Edited by ma23peas

Hank

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Awesome!!

You said you booked 70-100 cruise days a year, if I were a TA I'd give you discounts as well :) However, I doubt you've EVER gotten the deals I have by booking direct. I have been able to afford the next cruise based on the savings I scored myself by booking direct...examples (not just one isolated case!)

10 day Mediterranean (Disney Magic cruise) 7 people (3 kids/4 adults) booked inside staterooms was bumped up to Oceanview (big window) for free...total was $4000 with $1000 of On Board Credit provided for by Disney!

7 night Cabo San Lucas...2 adults 6 teenagers...$2600 with $500 OBC inside stateroom Disney Wonder

7 night Eastern Caribbean...(Disney Fantasy) 2 balcony rooms for $3600 for five passengers (3 adult 2 teens)

It's not for everyone, you have to be savvy, keep checking, but there are deals to be found...not finding it as easy to do with other lines...their websites are not as user friendly as I found with Disney cruise line.

You do realize the TAs oder the same upgrades and bonuses as the cruise line and then adds more to it, right? Anything the direct sales offer the TA also had access too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk