Big News about All You Can Drink Package

Frugalist

After almost 20 cruises, we finally enjoyed a Drink Package! Only because it was part of the cruise package. Never thought it to be a cost effective option.

Have to admit that I over did it the first night, but after paying the price the next day, I slowed down the remaining 12 days.

Now my wife can buy as she drinks vs having to purchase the drink package for only 1-2 drinks per day.

Great News! And thank you for informing us!

Now the question is:

Interesting to see the number of really positives about Drinks Package. Believe me I do like a drink but even on sea days I would find it hard to break even and port days would just slew it into negative category.

Having said that we don't use coffee card nor the soda card, so drink package would only be for alcohol maybe that makes a big difference.

So, 3 beers during the day $18 , cocktail before dinner $8, 2 wines at dinner $15, Cocktail during the show $8 is $49 ....... wait a minute :-)

Seriously though DW is two glasses of wine a day and port days would delete the beers. So not a good deal for us but can see how it could be interesting for some.

You say that you don't use coffee or soda cards, what you don't say, is if you drink coffee or soda and pay with your charge card :confused: ???????????

Cato :)

The charge for the package will likely be put on your folio the evening of the day you purchase it.

Your credit card will not be charged until the end of the cruise. (As with any other onboard purchase, a "hold" may be placed on your credit card. This is not a charge, but a reserving of that amount of credit to be actually charged later.)

This is sorta true. Depends whether you purchase the package prior to cruise or onboard the first day. If you purchase it prior to the cruise your credit card is charged; if you purchase it on ship, then yes, the charge shows up on your folio the last day.

Also I think there is still some debate as to whether all persons of legal age in stateroom have to buy the package.

This is sorta true. Depends whether you purchase the package prior to cruise or onboard the first day. If you purchase it prior to the cruise your credit card is charged; if you purchase it on ship, then yes, the charge shows up on your folio the last day.

Also I think there is still some debate as to whether all persons of legal age in stateroom have to buy the package.

For now, the alcohol package can NOT be purchased pre-cruise like the two non-alcohol drink packages can...

As of the last few days, you can purchase the alcohol package onboard without all passengers in the cabin being forced to buy a package also...

I'm letting you know. ;) If you reserve the Sanctuary for the entire cruise you reserve for port and sea days. Same for the drinks package.

Hi,

This is a little bit of a side step,regarding comment on Reserving the Sanctuary.I was always led to believe that you could NOT reserve the Sanctuary.Was told to Line up 6am to book your place daily.and that was from the attendants at the Sanctuary. !!!!

Hi,

This is a little bit of a side step,regarding comment on Reserving the Sanctuary.I was always led to believe that you could NOT reserve the Sanctuary.Was told to Line up 6am to book your place daily.and that was from the attendants at the Sanctuary. !!!!

They allocate a certain number of the loungers to be reserved for the entire cruise. It's a limited number and you it's been reported that you need to be there to reserve as soon as the ship starts boarding.

Nice!

I like to drink on vacation but my wife does not.

I know I can easily spend 50 bucks a day on 10 dollar drinks but no way could I spend a hundred and I used to have to buy two packages.

This is so much better a deal!

Thanks for the heads up!

They allocate a certain number of the loungers to be reserved for the entire cruise. It's a limited number and you it's been reported that you need to be there to reserve as soon as the ship starts boarding.

Hi,

Thanks, I will just have to line up with the rest of the passengers on a first come first serve if all I want are a few days in the Sanctuary on my next 15day cruise.

Thanks again

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who can see the potential problems. You know the bartenders are not going to police the cards for fear of reprisals. There is already rumbling in this thread about sharing...followed by "we will be honest." In the past, people reported trying to peel off the soda stickers to use again. People reported about using a coffee card for years etc. Unless they start serving really watered down drinks, this is not a money maker.

Other lines seem to be able to control this and are apparently making a profit or they would have dropped it by now. Some lines that required that both adults in the same room purchase the package have also dropped that policy. Some are too naive to believe that anyone would cheat, but I don't think it will be as bad as others may think. The real money maker in the drink package is from those who don't use it to it's potential which is the probably the majority who purchase it.

I always thought there's gotta be a better way than to punish everyone for the acts of a few. Not everyone in each sailing adult party is an alcoholic that would be required to purchase these plans. It's really up to the llines to better detect any fraud that may be going on.

Kudos to Princess. I hope some sister lines follow.

I'm sorry......are you insinuating that anyone that purchases one of these adult beverage packages is an alcoholic? Or are you saying that if you are, in fact, an alcoholic, you would be required to purchase one of these packages?

I don't know about that...

Someone back from a recent cruise in their review described a passenger heading to the bar and getting drinks on the all inclusive package and going back to their table and handing out the drinks to everyone present 8 people in total.

No time limit involved.

It's been my experience on Celebrity if you give them 4 cards to swipe they give you 4 drinks. It was most likely that since they have been running the free drink package promo that all in the party of 8 were entitled to a drink.

And those with spouses that do not drink may participate honestly.

Exactly! Can't imagine thinking the worst of others instead of the best. My husband doesn't drink so we wouldn't have considered this package prior to the change.

Thank OP for the news! :)

I'm sorry......are you insinuating that anyone that purchases one of these adult beverage packages is an alcoholic? Or are you saying that if you are, in fact, an alcoholic, you would be required to purchase one of these packages?

I don't know what the OP was implying but that is a good point. How could the cruise line require an alcoholic to purchase a drink package and why should the non alcoholic who is traveling with the alcoholic be discriminated against.

I don't know what the OP was implying but that is a good point. How could the cruise line require an alcoholic to purchase a drink package and why should the non alcoholic who is traveling with the alcoholic be discriminated against.

I think you may be misinterpreting his intention. I believe he's not so subtly insinuating you would need to be an alcoholic to fully benefit from the package and others in your party shouldn't be penalized for your "shortcomings". In other words "only alcoholics would want to buy the package", :rolleyes:

He's been called out on his post by a few of us and hasn't returned to either clarify or defend his seemingly obnoxious comment. BTW, he's not the OP. :)

Edited by msmoger

I think you may be misinterpreting his intention. I believe he's not so subtly insinuating you would need to be an alcoholic to fully benefit from the package and others in your party shouldn't be penalized for your "shortcomings". In other words "only alcoholics would want to buy the package", :rolleyes:

He's been called out on his post by a few of us and hasn't returned to either clarify or defend his seemingly obnoxious comment. BTW, he's not the OP. :)

I was referring to the op of the quoted post not the op of the thread.

Don't apologize.

I can drink. My wife can't get past one. Pretty silly forcing me to buy two.

Since it's now confirmed that both adults don't need to buy it, can someone please confirm whether or not the KIDS in the same cabin have to buy a drink package?

Has ANYONE actually received confirmation from Princess that both adults do not have to buy the package? I have seen the reports on these posts about it on the Royal and the Ruby, yet people who are on the Emerald state that you still have to both buy the package. ANYONE received actual written documentation from Princess corporate that states this? Even on these boards, Princess is still posting on their flyer that BOTH adults in a cabin have to buy it.

As we are sailing soon on the Emerald , this is important to our group.Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!!!

i think what we have here is "failure to communicate"

both of you are on the same side - make up and kiss.

This is from cruise critic's posting page... and i am on the phone as i type with princess and have asked them to e- mail me the exact copy of what was read to me on the phone...

Princess Cruises

Ships: Star Princess, Sapphire Princess, Crown Princess, Coral Princess, Royal Princess, Island Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess and Grand Princess. Caribbean Princess will get the package March 22, 2014, Golden Princess will get it April 1 and Regal Princess will have the package when it launches in May 2014.

Package Details: Princess Cruises' package costs $49 per day, plus a 15 percent gratuity per person, and includes all cocktails, spirits, beer and glasses of wine less than $10. Also, all nonalcoholic drinks served in cans or bottles, as well as mocktails and shakes are included, as are all coffee, tea, espresso and specialty drinks and any food items such as crepes and gelato included with the coffee card. Each purchaser of the package also receives a 40 percent discount on all bottled wine less than $100.

Fine Print: Princess cruisers may purchase the package on seven-night or longer cruises. All passengers traveling in the same stateroom do not have to purchase the package.

This is from cruise critic's posting page... and i am on the phone as i type with princess and have asked them to e- mail me the exact copy of what was read to me on the phone...

Princess Cruises

Ships: Star Princess, Sapphire Princess, Crown Princess, Coral Princess, Royal Princess, Island Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess and Grand Princess. Caribbean Princess will get the package March 22, 2014, Golden Princess will get it April 1 and Regal Princess will have the package when it launches in May 2014.

Package Details: Princess Cruises' package costs $49 per day, plus a 15 percent gratuity per person, and includes all cocktails, spirits, beer and glasses of wine less than $10. Also, all nonalcoholic drinks served in cans or bottles, as well as mocktails and shakes are included, as are all coffee, tea, espresso and specialty drinks and any food items such as crepes and gelato included with the coffee card. Each purchaser of the package also receives a 40 percent discount on all bottled wine less than $100.

Fine Print: Princess cruisers may purchase the package on seven-night or longer cruises. All passengers traveling in the same stateroom do not have to purchase the package.

Looks like everything officially changes on Saturday.

Princess Cruises

Great news, except there are a number of current reports where people are being told by crew members that it can be bought on shorter cruises as well.

Thank you for taking the time to share the nice update! I am in a situation where I drink alcoholic beverages and my husband might have a glass of wine with dinner. This is a great update for us. I still might just think about getting the alcohol package, as it may not even be worth it for me to get it. :)

Me too. If my husband had to buy it too it would be such a waste for us. I appreciate the info. I would not consider it at all if we both had to buy it. Royal has had it in place for awhile now that just one person can purchase their drink package also.