Russia Visa for St. Petersburg

Alex71

Looking to book a Baltic cruise for the summer with two full days in St. Petersburg. I understand that a visa will not be required when booking a ship tour or a tour through one of the licensed tour companies.

When checking the web site of the Russian embassy, I saw that the cost of a visa is actually only 35 EUR pp, so for the two days a lot cheaper than booking tours. Does anyone have any insights on how much hassle it is to get a Russian visa?

I should add that we have two small kids, 7 and 9 and would therefore much prefer to do things at our own slower pace, even if it means not covering as much ground as we would have with a tour.

Looking to book a Baltic cruise for the summer with two full days in St. Petersburg. I understand that a visa will not be required when booking a ship tour or a tour through one of the licensed tour companies.

When checking the web site of the Russian embassy, I saw that the cost of a visa is actually only 35 EUR pp, so for the two days a lot cheaper than booking tours. Does anyone have any insights on how much hassle it is to get a Russian visa?

how well do you read and speak Russian?

Although it's possible to do SPB on your own, the signs are pretty much all in Russian, and if you can't speak it, you'll be hardpressed to make your way around.

how well do you read and speak Russian?

Although it's possible to do SPB on your own, the signs are pretty much all in Russian, and if you can't speak it, you'll be hardpressed to make your way around.

Looking to take the metro. After my first semester of college - just three years after the wall had come down - I spent a couple weeks over in Moscow and Novosibirsk (organized by the Russian chapter of the student organzation Aiesec). Most people were able to either speak English or German and if not, we were able to communicate with hands and feet. :) We took the Trans-Siberian railway and turned it into a party zone for two days...

I would think that 22 years later things are even easier. The Russian alphabet is different, but words are still recognizable, which should help reading the metro map. I was able to do it in Moscow, so anticipate to be able to do the same in St. Petersburg.

Edited by Alex71

The visa requirements are different for different countries. For US citizens it is a lot more than 35 Eur. It looks like you may be French and visa requirements are probably different than for US citizens. As for getting around, I know a lot less than you appear to, and I managed ok.

Edited by jamessemaj

I'm German, my wife is American and the kids have dual citizenship. Looking to get the visas from the Russian consulate in Frankfurt. The Russian embassy in Washington charges 140 USD, so I can see why this is not an option for Americans living in the States.

Edited by Alex71

Русские слова узнаваемы, если вы знаете английский язык?

Ресторан?

уборная?

полиция?

Use Google translate if you want...but you probably won't have access to it in St-P.

I am fairly adventurous, with a bit of language coaching to be able to speak basic phrases I might feel like tackling St-P on my own. BUT, with the amount of $ I invested in the cruise & airfare to get there, spending more on a guided tour was the best way to get the most for my money in my opinion.

If you do decide to tackle it yourself, please take lots of notes and be sure to come back here to share your experience...I would love to read about it !

:)

Alex

Several people from the US have come here saying that to get a Russian Visa, the cost just about equals what they would pay for a tour with a private tour company.

Since you do speak some Russian, you are already a head of the pack. Just remember, that with a pre arranged tour, all admission tickets are already paid for, all transportation is supplied, you won't have to wait in any lines, they will take you out of St Petersburg, to see Catherine's Palace and Pushkin, most supply a couple of meals. Again, I understand the thrill of doing it on your own, but, just FYI, there are a couple of private tour companies that have specific tours geared towards families with young children.

It's your choice and either way, I'm sure you will have a grand time.

Cheers

Len

Looking to take the metro. After my first semester of college - just three years after the wall had come down - I spent a couple weeks over in Moscow and Novosibirsk (organized by the Russian chapter of the student organzation Aiesec). Most people were able to either speak English or German and if not, we were able to communicate with hands and feet. :) We took the Trans-Siberian railway and turned it into a party zone for two days...

I would think that 22 years later things are even easier. The Russian alphabet is different, but words are still recognizable, which should help reading the metro map. I was able to do it in Moscow, so anticipate to be able to do the same in St. Petersburg.

We were able to do Moscow with absolutely no problems on a land trip. Counted stops on the metro or looked for the alphabet letters. It wasn't difficult - it was like any European city where we were unfamiliar with the language. Restaurants were no issue. Walked about 20K on one day throughout the city - no problems. And, St. Petersburg is much more western.

Can't comment on price of visa. We're in a non-embassy city in the US, so we had to use a visa processing service for our Moscow trip, which is costly. For our cruise, we opted out of an individual visa for St. Petersburg - the cost of a "visa service" visa just didn't price out for two days against the cost of tours which included entry fees and transportation. We're not doing the city the way we'd prefer (not into palaces and wouldn't go to Versailles with only two days in Paris) - but we're getting it done.

But it could be different for you. Remember to price in the cost of the invitation (only the first step to the visa process) - and weigh whether you think you can fill out the forms correctly and present to an embassy in person. If you can, you might be able to save some Euros.

We were able to do Moscow with absolutely no problems on a land trip. Counted stops on the metro or looked for the alphabet letters. It wasn't difficult - it was like any European city where we were unfamiliar with the language. Restaurants were no issue. Walked about 20K on one day throughout the city - no problems. And, St. Petersburg is much more western.

Can't comment on price of visa. We're in a non-embassy city in the US, so we had to use a visa processing service for our Moscow trip, which is costly. For our cruise, we opted out of an individual visa for St. Petersburg - the cost of a "visa service" visa just didn't price out for two days against the cost of tours which included entry fees and transportation. We're not doing the city the way we'd prefer (not into palaces and wouldn't go to Versailles with only two days in Paris- which is the equivalent of running out of town in St. Petersburg to the palaces) - but we're getting it done.

But it could be different for you. Remember to price in the cost of the invitation (only the first step to the visa process) - and weigh whether you think you can fill out the forms correctly and present to an embassy in person. If you can, you might be able to save some Euros.

Thanks everyone! We have not yet booked the cruise and may wait for another few weeks to see how the political situation evolves.

In case we book, I'll call the Russian consulate to hear what they recommend. In general, I think it wold be more of an adventure and more fun to do it on our own. I've in the meantime researched taxi cost - it seems to cost the equivalent of under 7 EUR for the first 4 km, so not bad at all. We could take a cab into the center or to the closest metro station and then take it from there.

I need to reseach the exact visa process though. There seems to be an online application system - possibly similar to the ESTA system in the US - where the fee can be paid by credit card or bank card. The question is whether that's all that is needed or whether one has to send in the passports / go to the consulate in person and possibly wait a long time in line. I'd hate to burn through a vacation day for this.

In case we'll do it on our own, I'll report back on our experience, in case we decide to go with one of the tour companies, we found great recommendations on this board.

Just to belatedly add to other posts:

We rate ourselves adventurous but we turned woosie for SPB, even though visa costs for us Brits are lower.

No expert but my presumption is that visa costs depend on the nationality of the applicant, not where you apply. You might find it cheaper to leave the wife at home ;)

And advice from all quarters was that the application process is complicated, slow & tiresome, and that many many applications are returned (some returned several times) due to mistakes. Whereas it's easy to get most visas direct over the 'net, for Russia you could save yourselves a great deal of grief by ponying-up the cost to use an agency.

Yes, the use of maps, leaflets, hand-written cryllic notes (remember to include one of the ship's location) and sign language can get you by. But I found that cryllic alphabet baffling - I'd even have trouble locating some of the examples on Number 7's post on a printed timetable (if that's where they belong :rolleyes:).

But you've some experience & sound confident.

Bear in mind that the local operators' tours include pre-public admission to the Hermitage, beat-the-line arrangements at Catherine Palace, etc.

Add your reliance on public transport & your inevitable occasional screw-up on navigation, opening hours, etc and I feel sure you'll waste a great chunk of valuable time waiting in long lines, back-tracking, etc etc.

We usually DIY, not because we're tightwads, but because we prefer the freedom and adventure of doing our own thing. So having a guide to tell us about history, what to look at & why, and even general chat about life in the place, was a rarity for us - and it showed what we miss when we DIY.

With hindsight we're very happy that a local operator's (Alla in our case) tour was absolutely the way to go.

Although we now know the place, we'd use a local operator again if we went back. And that applies even if Russia dispensed with any visa requirements.

Just my two roubles-worth.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks everyone! We have not yet booked the cruise and may wait for another few weeks to see how the political situation evolves.

In case we book, I'll call the Russian consulate to hear what they recommend. In general, I think it wold be more of an adventure and more fun to do it on our own. I've in the meantime researched taxi cost - it seems to cost the equivalent of under 7 EUR for the first 4 km, so not bad at all. We could take a cab into the center or to the closest metro station and then take it from there.

I need to reseach the exact visa process though. There seems to be an online application system - possibly similar to the ESTA system in the US - where the fee can be paid by credit card or bank card. The question is whether that's all that is needed or whether one has to send in the passports / go to the consulate in person and possibly wait a long time in line. I'd hate to burn through a vacation day for this.

In case we'll do it on our own, I'll report back on our experience, in case we decide to go with one of the tour companies, we found great recommendations on this board.

I salute your bravery and I am sure you'll have an awesome time in SPB whichever way you chose to see it.

Get the visa if you have any sense of adventure. The city is very doable by first time visitors with no foreign language skills, 4/5s of the visitors each year are first timers and are doing just fine.

It is one of the hardest large cities to get lost in. There is almost nowhere where major unique visual landmarks that instant orient yourself. The city center is human scale meaning it is not made of towering sun blocking skyscrapers, mostly less than 5 stories because there was an early edict that no construction could be taller than the spire of Peter and Paul Cathedral, one of the landmarks clearly visible from most areas of the city center.

Public transportation is easy, frequent and cheap.

Signs are in Cyrillic and Latin characters, with the Latin signage transliterated so you can pronounce them.

If you need to ask directions almost anyone knows enough English to help a little but if in doubt, talk to a teenager or young adult since they have had 5-7 years of English is school by the 9th grade.

Most restaurants have English or dual language menus. All museums(there are so many museums that most visitors never even hear of, 254 total, including a new one that is the best of its type in the world, the just opening Faberge Museum)

So it is very doable. But should you?

A tour can be anything you want it to be, from just walking around and using public transport, or fully planned itinerary with all the destinations with appointment times. It can be much more flexible and spontaneous than For the going price now of a 2 day intensive than most cruisers assume because they are used to the big expensive bus tours that hard not personal at all.

Most of the (average price is about $300) cost is the tickets for an intensive history and culture based itinerary but that can drop a lot if fewer expensive museums and palaces are visited.

A guide can be your interpreter and teacher about history, contemporary Russia or where to find the shopping bargains or anything in-between, and still be classed as a visa free tour.

So do not let those easily intimidated by rumors and misinformation talk you out of going alone if you wish, it is a remarkably easy city to deal with for a visitor. It is much easier than say London or New York if you did not know English. I read a lot of nonsense written that is claimed to be factual but really, if someone's only experience was being lead around for 15 hours and never having direct contact with anyone who was not paid to entertain you, you might be full of misconceptions also.

Visas. Your port agent is supposed to provide visa invitations for passengers of the ship who want them but Arctur, the port agent is not cooperative at all, very Soviet style. So you might have to go to a visa service and buy an invitation. The visa services have no official standing, they just buy the invitation from a tour operator or hotel willing to sell them. The biggest specialty company selling visa support to visa agencies(two middlemen,,,yuck) is InTelservice Center in Moscow but they have a retail arm that sells directly to the public. http://www.visatorussia.com ) Any hotel or tour operator could also provide it for free since it only costs them a little time, but most have a policy of giving them only to those who book with them. EU citizens only need their heath insurance ID, the completed simple application, the Visa Support a passport type photo and a copy of you ship booking plus your passport and consular fee.

Depending on when you decide to go forward, you really might want to go through an agency. My friend is Russian, and she applied for a visa for her American husband to visit Russia, and they were extremely worried when the visas were delayed and had no idea when they would come. She said the Russian consulate could just make weird stuff up to delay your visa if they were feeling cranky that day (I have no idea if this is true, but you might want to research this before you apply). Have a great time if you decide to go!

Edited by kitkat343

I think she was joking with you. The visa process is very straight forward and the only declines are if someone is on a no-entry list, which is very rare. He has to apply himself so maybe she was trying to invite a foreign national to visit as a Private Visa. That is not a tourist visa and if there is any hold up it is usually FMS where she would apply just to get the invitation. Being American he can apply directly for the 3 year multiple entry Tourist, Business, Humanitarian or Private Visa type 3. All give 3 years, 6 months at a time, and allowing immediate re-entry for another 6 months, and repeated. Either she was joking, applying for the wrong visa or is confused how to do it. An agency will not be able to do anything but increase delays. Applying directly to ILS, results in a visa in 7 working days. Expedited visa processing is not available for first time applicants. She is not telling you the whole story.

Thanks again, everyone. Good to know that the lion share of the price of organized tours is for admission to the various sites. This puts it a little more into perspectice.

We constinue to see excellent prices for Baltic cruises, possibly due to the Ukraine situation, so we will hold off booking for a little longer and jump on one of the specials.

Alex, the deals are starting to show up, heck, I am tempted by a couple of them and I live here. I would just stay on the ship and enjoy the food, pool and spa while the entire passenger list and 1/2 the crew is ashore. I did that the last cruise I took, watched my shipboard account, had no shore excursions and the total price was less than staying home. I think a lot of people are waiting for the real bargains before booking. There is so much disinformation in the western press about the situation here that I can understand why those who assume they are being told the facts, are concerned. If you wait until August sailings, the crowds in the port will be less but the weather still good and the lowest prices would be available if bookings continue to be slow. They need to fill those cabins somehow and prices is the sure way to do it. I have no doubt every ship is committed to its port calls in St Petersburg, they earn much of their cruise profit from 2 days of shore excursions

There is so much disinformation in the western press about the situation here that I can understand why those who assume they are being told the facts, are concerned.

I can say there has been little disinformation here.

However, there's been a lot of disinformation in the Russian media, so it doesn't appear to be localised to one area.

I agree that visa processing isn't so risky in terms of delays or rejections - as long as you follow all the steps in their process. This is more convoluted than many other places.

Edited by The_Big_M

Although I "chickened out" and went with an agency the first time I visited Saint Petersburg (due in large part to the extreme objections I encountered on this board), I feel I could've done it on my own. I kept an eye out while touring and didn't see obstacles that I couldn't have managed...

Not that the guide did a bad job, in fact, she was excellent. But at heart I much prefer to sightsee on my own terms. If/when I go back, I'll definitely get the visa and do it on my own.

Edited by cruisemom42

Although I "chickened out" and went with an agency the first time I visited Saint Petersburg (due in large part to the extreme objections I encountered on this board), I feel I could've done it on my own. I kept an eye out while touring and didn't see obstacles that I couldn't have managed...

Not that the guide did a bad job, in fact, she was excellent. But at heart I much prefer to sightsee on my own terms. If/when I go back, I'll definitely get the visa and do it on my own.

The cost of the visa is certainly a disincentive to DIY as it makes the tours very competitive on price.

But in terms of difficulty -while clearly not an area where it is easy to get around with English, it is easier than many places in Asia where lots of cruisers DIY. (Easier than Japan or Korea for example IMHO)

Having done the visa process for a couple employees, no thank you. Lots of stress, everything was delayed. I just did Taiwan on my own and I won't do STP just because of the visa issue.

Doing the 2-day Grand tour with Alla Tours is only $300. The visa processing fee is $140 - plus you have to add transportation costs and any entry fees. Doesn't seem like it's with the time involved getting a visa for 1-2 days instead of doing the tour.

We went to St Petersburg in 2010 and booked two days with TJ Travel, www.travel-stpetersburg.com Julia very patiently worked out an itinerary with me which was hard because I wanted to see so much in so little time. We had a guide Katya, and a driver Alexander, and because we just had the two of us we went by car everywhere and it really saved time. Also, Katya managed to get us into the Hermitage, Catherine's Palace and Peterhof without waiting on the lines for the other groups - we just went to the front and went in. The Agency obtains the visa for you and sends it to you by email. They meet you on the other side of the entrance. Don't make the mistake we did- we thought once we showed the visa the first day we didn't need it the second day but that wasn't true. Fortunately the guards let us through anyway. But the agency did actually send two visas- one for each day, we just didn't pay attention. Anyway, it was a splurge but we thought it was worth it to pack in so much in a single day.

If you want to read about what the people in St Petersburg went through during the war, read The Nine Hundred Days by Harrison Salisbury- simply horrific. Also the great biography of Peter the Great by Robert Massie.