Yikes! Noro on the Maasdam - two fold deep cleaning question please.

kazu

Talk about a major thread drift !

As the OP, the purpose of this thread was NOT to discuss NORO nor who is an expert and who isn't nor even how it spreads. There's countless threads where Noro is/has been discussed.

My thanks to those who did answer and offer recommendations or their experiences.

Jacqui,

This happened to us in 2012 in Rotterdam. We received an email either 1 or 2 days before sailing. It advised of delayed boarding and also gave the opportunity to cancel with full refund if we were hesitant to sail on a "sick ship." Boarding was delayed even further, but they did a lot of things to entertain the waiting hoards in the cramped terminal - additional folding chairs were brought in, free water, lemonade, coffee, tea, cookies, chips, and a cash bar for wine, beer, cocktails, and a brass band - it appeared they hired a catering company for all this. And the CD was always giving updated reports on the ETA for boarding. By the time we boarded it was time for drill and we sailed only a little late.

Not fun, but bearable. We stayed in code red for most of the cruise, but it was not too bad. When you start out in code red it all seems normal, as there is no change in procedures.

So just watch your email right before sailing and you will know if there is delayed boarding or not. Relax and have a great cruise in the warm weather. Marley will miss you!

Jacqui,

This happened to us in 2012 in Rotterdam. We received an email either 1 or 2 days before sailing. It advised of delayed boarding and also gave the opportunity to cancel with full refund if we were hesitant to sail on a "sick ship." Boarding was delayed even further, but they did a lot of things to entertain the waiting hoards in the cramped terminal - additional folding chairs were brought in, free water, lemonade, coffee, tea, cookies, chips, and a cash bar for wine, beer, cocktails, and a brass band - it appeared they hired a catering company for all this. And the CD was always giving updated reports on the ETA for boarding. By the time we boarded it was time for drill and we sailed only a little late.

Not fun, but bearable. We stayed in code red for most of the cruise, but it was not too bad. When you start out in code red it all seems normal, as there is no change in procedures.

So just watch your email right before sailing and you will know if there is delayed boarding or not. Relax and have a great cruise in the warm weather. Marley will miss you!

Thank you. I suspect they shall email my TA and not me and although she is away, somehow I suspect anything will be forwarded.

I will be taking my Ipad with me so will keep my eye out. appreciate the tip. Never got one for the Prinsendam which was in full blown code red when we boarded. the only time in Europe we went to get on earlier (as we had been pre cruise for 5 days) and it was a huge wait.

Marley is going to a new vacation he has never had before. We wanted to wait until he was 9 months old. He has his brother and sister going and trust me, he will be well cared for with a joint area to play with his family, cookies and two walks a day. His life (along with Fox and Kazu's) should be good. I suspect he will have the time of his life. The lady is very talented and can win any dog over in minutes :D I trust her implicitly with my furry family:D

Edited by kazu

Jacqui,

Bon Voyage and have a great cruise on the Maasdam after enjoying a delightful stay at the Embassy Suites (I assume) Barbara

Thank you Barbara - and you are assuming correctly - it is ES for us :D

some of our roll call are staying there so we will be getting together and either re-connecting or meeting the night before the cruise.:D

Thank you Barbara - and you are assuming correctly - it is ES for us :D

some of our roll call are staying there so we will be getting together and either re-connecting or meeting the night before the cruise.:D

Hope you both have a wonderful cruise Jacqui!

Cheers...Betty

Jacqui, the first thing I would be leery of is Jim Walkers Cruise Law News :rolleyes: Just my opinion but would guess this is HIGHLY Exaggerated. While I could be wrong but my guess is that the one or two who called in exaggerated then it really became a big exaggeration once Jim walker got a hold of it.

I tend to agree. While often full of interesting and topical articles, he tends to exaggerate and have a negative bent on cruising.

I have CC friends on the Maasdam right now - I emailed them yesterday and got a reply this morning. There was Noro on board for 2 weeks but is is cleared up now and everything is okay. neither of our friends contacted it. Until the ship got to Rio all was good - in port were two other ships and passengers reported that there was Noro aboard both ships - they suspect that is where it started for the passengers on the Maasdam. Good news for those of us who are boarding this coming Friday. thanks m&J for helping us out.

I have CC friends on the Maasdam right now - I emailed them yesterday and got a reply this morning. There was Noro on board for 2 weeks but is is cleared up now and everything is okay. neither of our friends contacted it. Until the ship got to Rio all was good - in port were two other ships and passengers reported that there was Noro aboard both ships - they suspect that is where it started for the passengers on the Maasdam. Good news for those of us who are boarding this coming Friday. thanks m&J for helping us out.

Thank you gigianne for emailing them. That's a huge relief - much appreciated:D:D

While I certainly would and do feel better getting on a ship that supposedly doesn't have a reported/reportable outbreak it's certainly no guarantee. Case in point was our cruise on the Volendam. 10-day Caribbean cruise and while there might have been a case or two or more on the ship it certainly didn't reach any level that we were aware of. It simply was never mentioned and no extraordinary measures were taken or at least obvious. The very next cruise of the Volendam got hammered within two or three days with an outbreak, like in the hundred plus or minus cases kind of outbreak. The simple truth is that there are not "sick" ship but there are sick or about to get sick passengers and they board on every ship at every port.

For those of you commenting on the "selfish" passengers who do not admit on the form before embarkation that they are ill are not living in reality.

While I do not condone it; I certainly can see someone who is ill lying on the form so they are not denied boarding. If someone has saved for months ; spent thousands on a vacation to include airfare, cruise , hotel charges they do not want to lose it all.

Yes yes I understand. They should have insurance. They are selfish. They can infect others, etc. etc.. I get all that. Noro is one thing. But if you had a cold, a common cold,would you REALLY admit this on the form and risk inspection by the medical staff and even a 1%chance of denied boarding?? BE HONEST!!!!

If HAL really wants people to be honest, then offer a FULL REFUND if boarding is denied for medical reasons. Just another perspective.

Edited by mrluckycharms

I am currently on the Maasdam. We have been cleared of the GI disorder that was brought on in Rio. As previous posters alluded to, some passengers infected hid it from the medical staff until it started to spread. so we had it longer on the ship than was necessary. I am not quite sure, but supposedly only 38 cabins were infected. CDI did request samples from the infected and were sent off for inspection. We are on our way to Fort Lauderdale on Friday and those boarding should be relieved that other than the normal coughs and sneezes that some get on any cruise, the ship has been deep cleaned twice and we are "all better" :p

Mary Lou

Kooolmamma---on another note about the Maasdam, is she in as bad of condition as the cruisers right before you said? Seems it got rave reviews until it went through dry dock in Jan., then really bad reviews. Hoping it's back up to par for our upcoming cruise.

We are in Fort Lauderdale at long last! A lot of flight changes and rushing to avoid our storm that was coming. With a hurricane warning in effect, you just KNOW that no plane is leaving the ground.

Many thanks to all who have posted while I was travelling.

I got the NICEST email from a cc member telling me that the Noro was licked and that the Maasdam was a great ship. They had a lot of positive comments - so did a fellow roll call member from our Prinsendam cruise who is currently on onboard. So nice to hear and so appreciated.

Thank you all. I can't wait to see her outside my window on Friday morning:D

I am also on the Maasdam and it is fabulous.The ship is in excellent condition,the staff are friendly and can not do enough for you.The food is delicious.Everything on this cruise has been done with perfection.

I am so glad to hear that. We were disappointed with our cruise in January so perhaps they've had a change of staff since then. We'd always enjoyed her before that cruise!

We are in Fort Lauderdale at long last! A lot of flight changes and rushing to avoid our storm that was coming. With a hurricane warning in effect, you just KNOW that no plane is leaving the ground.

I got the NICEST email from a cc member telling me that the Noro was licked and that the Maasdam was a great ship. They had a lot of positive comments - so did a fellow roll call member from our Prinsendam cruise who is currently on onboard. So nice to hear and so appreciated.

Glad you made it. You are missing an amazing blizzard. I don't suppose you really care though. :) We have had whiteout conditions for hours now. Still have power though. For now.

We are in Fort Lauderdale at long last! A lot of flight changes and rushing to avoid our storm that was coming.

Nice to know that you made it without incident. Very good.

Now, just relax and wait for your ship to come in. Have a great time.

For those of you commenting on the "selfish" passengers who do not admit on the form before embarkation that they are ill are not living in reality.

While I do not condone it; I certainly can see someone who is ill lying on the form so they are not denied boarding. If someone has saved for months ; spent thousands on a vacation to include airfare, cruise , hotel charges they do not want to lose it all.

Yes yes I understand. They should have insurance. They are selfish. They can infect others, etc. etc.. I get all that. Noro is one thing. But if you had a cold, a common cold,would you REALLY admit this on the form and risk inspection by the medical staff and even a 1%chance of denied boarding?? BE HONEST!!!!

If HAL really wants people to be honest, then offer a FULL REFUND if boarding is denied for medical reasons. Just another perspective.

You need to do more research.

Cruise lines do NOT deny boarding to people who admit they have Norovirus symptoms. The affected passengers are only required to self-isolate after they board the ship.

Cruise lines do not deny boarding for health reasons to anyone - except in cases where the illness is considered so serious that it could be fatal to someone.

Norovirus only reaches the fatal stage when the afflicted person has so many other serious medical problems that he/she shouldn't be there anyway.

Glad to hear you are in warmer climes - I've been hearing about the awful storm in eastern Canada/US. You were smart to get out ahead of it. Is this winter never going to end?

So glad you and Jose got out early to embark Maasdam on Friday. I hope you have a wonderful cruise...and am hopeful that yours on the M'dam will be great.