Is it best to use a TA when booking a River Cruise

travelqueen555

Rogerdawhip-

"Many people prefer using TAs for security and one stop shopping. I do not like give someone money for things I can do myself with little effort. Some of you say you save money with a travel agent. Maybe you do but I find it much cheaper to deal direct with the suppliers. "

My sister was a travel agent and explained that the customer pays no more-she was paid by the airline, cruise line, etc. So she could get the customer good deals and it is the cruise line , airline, etc who then make less (because they pay her).

I believe Grand Circle and Vantage will NOT use travel agents-you have to deal with them directly. That is one reason their cruises are lower cost-they save on marketing/advertising and don't have to pay agents.

stretchcruz-how did you find your travel agent?

Do most of you find an online travel agent these days? I noticed most of the travel agency storefronts near us have closed in recent years. Probably because people are going online, or booking themselves or they've become home -based.

I found her on here, I did a search and some detective work, sometimes folks list their email address in a post, and I emailed several folks directly to see who they used.

It is a large online agency, however I have my own agent. I live in Tucson and she telecommutes from Tucson. When she is not available I can talk to someone else at the agency and they will help me. I have booked a LOT of cruises with them as they advertise that they will beat anyone's prices, and they do. I've been very happy with the service and the prices. Sorry I can't be more specific due to the CC rules. I've saved a lot of money over the years. I consider a shipboard credit or free gratuities to be saving money (on the big ship lines), as it is money that I otherwise would have to be spending. Since the big lines don't allow discounting any more we get the amenities, which is actually the same when you consider the bottom line.

We have book 2 trips with Avalon directly in the US, they are extremely helpful both by phone and e mail, saved well over $1000 compared to booking through TA or Avalon in NZ or Aussie.

Have not used TA for anything since 2005 (20 trips out of NZ) except for some airfares when I am using multi international flights and Airlines from NZ to Europe destinations, usual stick with codeshare flights booked directly with Air NZ.

We have book 2 trips with Avalon directly in the US, they are extremely helpful both by phone and e mail, saved well over $1000 compared to booking through TA or Avalon in NZ or Aussie.

But not compared to using a US Travel Agent. They can get the same discount rates from Avalon that you got, plus they will sweeten the pot out of their commission. You don't pay anything to use a TA, the cruise line pays them.

But I guess it's good that some people do book directly, as that added profit allows the cruise lines to keep their prices lower for the rest of us.

But not compared to using a US Travel Agent. They can get the same discount rates from Avalon that you got, plus they will sweeten the pot out of their commission. You don't pay anything to use a TA, the cruise line pays them.

But I guess it's good that some people do book directly, as that added profit allows the cruise lines to keep their prices lower for the rest of us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Again, thanks to everyone's input on this subject. I have to share what ended up happening for "my" booking.

I was very much considering using a TA and possibly even trying to get a name from someone here on CC. But. . before I could do that, I just happened to call AMA directly regarding a river cruise itinerary that we were very much interested in and the exact dates we wanted to go. While speaking to them and asking a few questions, I was told there was only 1 french balcony left for the dates I wanted to travel. They allowed me to put a hold on that cabin for a few days while my DH and I made our decision. We decided since that date and itinerary was exactly what we wanted and we really did want a french balcony, to go ahead and put a deposit down. So in the end I ended up booking with AMA directly.

I will never know if I could have saved some $$'s by using a TA, but in this instance this worked for us. I was afraid if I took the time to look for a TA and had them try to book the last french balcony available, we could miss out on that cabin. We will be doing the Paris to Nuremberg, Europe's Rivers and Castles in Fall of 2015.

I am surprised at how quickly these river cruises are booking up. If any one has done this cruise or similar would love to read some reviews on the ports we will stopping at.

Thanks again to everyone for all you input. So far AMA has been very helpful and I have not regretted booking myself.

I also want to add a quick note, I also had a cabin held with Viking for a few days for a similar river cruise but would have been in a veranda cabin. We were having a hard time deciding which company to use, until Viking told me the payment for the entire cruise would be due May, "2014", not "2015" as I would have expected for a fall 2015 cruise. This was a deal breaker for me. So AMA it is!!! Now the planning begins.

Perhaps you can transfer the booking to a TA within a certain time frame. Mine discounts usuy 15 percent.

I just did it with AMA.Switched to TA and got the above perks.Kept same cabin,reservation,etc.Just contact TA and sign release from AMA.No problem but all the benefits.

No down fall that I can see,they handle all the details.;)

I have booked two AMA cruises. The first was with a TA and it was a good experience. Pretty sure I did not get any discount and did not get on-board credit. I was going to book my second with another TA that I have become familiar with but needed more information from AMA before booking.

The funny thing is that I was talking to a TA. Come to find out that AMA’s “official” phone line and booking is with a California TA that they have contracted with. It was a fairly complicated booking because I am a previous AMA customer and it was a specially discounted Christmas time cruise. This meant multiple discounts applied as well as room upgrades.

Bottom line, I got a AA room for a BA price, $100/pp on-board credit, 40% off the entire cruise rate, and an additional discount for being a previous AMA customer. My outside TA tried to do the same as was unable to get the same offer.

So the moral of the story is twofold; AMA does not have a stand-alone call center but contracts with a TA to be their official call center. The 2nd is that I was able to get a better deal going directly through the cruise line than through a local TA. I am not saying this will always be the case but it sure was for this AMA booking for me.

Wow-sounds like a great deal!

We chose a lower deck this time for our 10 night Rhine Christmas Markets river cruise with Grand Circle because the cost was only about $1000.

Premier Cruise Line, Bahamas. 6/90

HAL Maasdam , Alaska, 9/03

RCCL Jewel, New England/Canada, 10/04

RCCL, Vision, Mexican Riviera, 3/07

Celebrity, Solstice, Eastern /Southern Caribbean, 12/07

Azamara Journey, Mediterranean, 11/08

Celebrity Solstice, Eastern Med, 11/09

AMA Amacello, Danube, Nuremberg to Budapest, 10/10

Emerald Princess, Caribbean, 3/11

AMA Amadolce, Rhine-Luxembourg to Amsterdam, 6/12

Grand Circle, Danube Christmas Markets, Vienna to Nuremberg, 11/12

Azamara Quest, French Riviera, Barcelona to Nice, 4/13

HAL Maasdam, Canada/NE, 6/13

Oceania Marina, Barcelona to Barcelona, 11/13

RCCL Freedom, Eastern Caribbean, 6/14

NCL Breakaway , Bermuda, 9/14

Grand Circle , Christmas Markets on the Rhine, Strasbourg to Amsterdam, 11/14

Exactly SJDE!! We had not planned to do this cruise but when we got the brochure showing the discounts, we looked into it. I kept thinking there would be a "catch" like the 40% off would only apply to the base fare, not the upgrades etc. There was quite a bit of confusion on how many discounts we could get (like they have an early booking and pay in full discount that we could not take advantage of) and this was through the "official" channels. Seems like everytime the "Official" TA called the AMA home office, they got a different answer.

When we found out the bottom line was that our cruise would be almost half the rpice of the one we took last year, we jumped at it, even though we know that many things will be closed after 12/23. We enjoy staying on the ship and being treated to AMA great service.

My sister was a travel agent and explained that the customer pays no more-she was paid by the airline, cruise line, etc. So she could get the customer good deals and it is the cruise line , airline, etc who then make less (because they pay her).

The only experience I have regarding a TA was on an AMA trip I took some years back. I was traveling with some friends who used a TA. I worked with AMA directly and got the same class of cabin $400 cheaper than then did. Our take is this was the amount the TA got from AMA. maybe...maybe not

One thing not discussed is who goes to bat for you when you have trouble with the cruise line? Look at the recent flooding situation last year.

Why wouldn't you want someone advocating for you especially since some of the companies were less than forthcoming with details. I think it's all about being a good consumer.

No, I'm not a TA, but i'd never go on a cruise, either river or ocean, or even land for that matter, without having a TA. And yes, they do give wonderful discounts, OBC, etc.

One thing not discussed is who goes to bat for you when you have trouble with the cruise line? Look at the recent flooding situation last year.

Why wouldn't you want someone advocating for you especially since some of the companies were less than forthcoming with details. I think it's all about being a good consumer.

No, I'm not a TA, but i'd never go on a cruise, either river or ocean, or even land for that matter, without having a TA. And yes, they do give wonderful discounts, OBC, etc.

If you look at my post, I did mention this :)

Coral,

My apologies. You certainly did address the advocacy role of the TA and I totally missed it.

I am glad someone else recognizes the strengths TA brings to their clients :) When you need them, they are worth their weight in gold!

price. I ALWAYS search that,other internet site,etc.for BEST PRICE before I even contact my TA.Then ASK for that price,plus then get my perks and cash back for total cruise. Also, if price falls(rare on river,but has on ocean ones)I let TA know and given that discount too.

Am very pro active,get the best of both worlds that with,but does take a little work before,during,etc. At end feel I got the very best deal I could,plus they handle any little,questions,details,advice.Have done it both ways in past,and now ALWAYS use TA,Never have regretted it.

:)