Books in the Library

Newbury newbie

Off on our first cruise on Eclipse this May. My wife is an avid fiction book reader. What sort of books are available through the ship's library to borrow? Ie. is there a selection of light hearted holiday reads? :rolleyes::)

Depends on the ship and what she's already read. My first time on the Eclipse, I was amazed that they had some of the books I was still on the waiting list for at the library. Since then, I can't say I've been impressed with the selection. I would recommend getting some sort of e-reader and loading it up with books from your local library. Physical books are heavy!

Another alternative is to load up on paperbacks at your local thrift store and donate them to the ship's library as you read them so you don't have to bring them home.

Enjoy your cruise! Your wife may find she doesn't have as much time to read as she thinks she will.

Off on our first cruise on Eclipse this May. My wife is an avid fiction book reader. What sort of books are available through the ship's library to borrow? Ie. is there a selection of light hearted holiday reads? :rolleyes::)

There are a lot of Volume two or five of various fantasy series… It seems that books were bought by the box without any reference to author or popularity or completeness. Ever since ebooks became popular, the choice of a good read or the ability to swap books has really diminished. It's time to join the kindle/kobo/tablet generation. The libraries on board seem to deteriorate with each voyage.

I, too, recommend an e-reader. I know, I was a late convert as I really love to turn actual pages. It didn't take me very long to see the convenience of my Kindle. Not having to lug around a few books has been wonderful. I've got a few hundred that take up no space at all.

Before my Kindle I used to bring a book or two and then leave them at the ship's library. I think a lot of people do that, so you never know what will turn up.

There always seems to be a selection of the best sellers and I do browse the books on the first day or so just to see if there's something I must read.

I suggest stopping by as soon as possible when you embark, just to have the best selection.

I'm in the processing of updating my Kindle and iPad for our cruise next month. I have 1400+ books on mine. I paid for less than 100 of them and usually not more than $1.99-$2.99 each. There are hundreds of thousands of great books you can download for fee.

I'm in the processing of updating my Kindle and iPad for our cruise next month. I have 1400+ books on mine. I paid for less than 100 of them and usually not more than $1.99-$2.99 each. There are hundreds of thousands of great books you can download for fee.

Exactly! I've bought some for full price, but most a either the $1-2 range or free. Do a google search for kindle free books and check it out.

I'm really dumb about these things so forgive the question, but don't you have to...(buy, pay) for each e-book, too? So how do you have thousands (or even hundreds) loaded on?

I love my Kindle. I feel that it is one of the best products ever made. You can sit outside and read in the sun with no glare.

If you go to Amazon's web site, they list their top 100 free books. That's right, free! I probably have at least 50 of the free books on my Kindle now. If you don't like the book you can just delete it. There are some very good free books out there. I think the free book list changes every hour so if you see something you might like, download it!

I'm really dumb about these things so forgive the question, but don't you have to...(buy, pay) for each e-book, too?...
Many/most public libraries in the US now "check-out" ebooks. This functions in many ways like hard copy library books. In my experience the library buys one or more ecopies. One ecopy can be checked out to only one person at a time, generally for 3 weeks. You can electronically return it before 3 weeks are up, or at the end of 3 weeks it disappears from your device (no worry about forgetting to return it). If the book is available it can be downloaded from home. Since most cruises are less than 3 weeks, this functions well for cruisers. I find that if I enjoy a book it will be read in a few days; if I haven't finished it in 3 weeks it probably will never be finished. YMMV.

Thom

The library is on my list do one of the first places we stop when we board. While everyone else is checking out the pools or the buffet I am choosing a couple of books and have a great selection if I get there early. I also leave paperbacks I brought along at the end of our trip. And I bring my Nook. Love reading on a cruise. Beaches, poolside, balcony, sometimes even just grab a cup of coffee and hang out in a comfy chair.

Have a great time on your cruise! I'm sure your wife will enjoy her Kindle, too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The library is on my list do one of the first places we stop when we board. While everyone else is checking out the pools or the buffet I am choosing a couple of books and have a great selection if I get there early. I also leave paperbacks I brought along at the end of our trip. And I bring my Nook. Love reading on a cruise. Beaches, poolside, balcony, sometimes even just grab a cup of coffee and hang out in a comfy chair.

Have a great time on your cruise! I'm sure your wife will enjoy her Kindle, too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Like you I always leave a couple of hard covers at the end of the cruise on the library like many others. To the OP, check the library first!!:)

Exactly! I've bought some for full price, but most a either the $1-2 range or free. Do a google search for kindle free books and check it out.

Thank you so much for this suggestion. I just did a Kobo search and added a few free books for my upcoming cruise. :D:D:D

I was on the Eclipse in January. I didn't visit the library as early in the cruise as I should have, but part way through the 14 day cruise, Celebrity completely stocked the 'Take a Book, Leave a Book' section as the shelves went from 'slim pickings' to absolutely crammed with brand new books. I found many great books to read and appreciated Celebrity providing them as I haven't made the jump to an e-reader as I don't read that much, but love to read while relaxing on a cruise.

Dianne

Many/most public libraries in the US now "check-out" ebooks. This functions in many ways like hard copy library books. In my experience the library buys one or more ecopies. One ecopy can be checked out to only one person at a time, generally for 3 weeks. You can electronically return it before 3 weeks are up, or at the end of 3 weeks it disappears from your device (no worry about forgetting to return it). If the book is available it can be downloaded from home. Since most cruises are less than 3 weeks, this functions well for cruisers. I find that if I enjoy a book it will be read in a few days; if I haven't finished it in 3 weeks it probably will never be finished. YMMV.

Thom

Thanks for the plug for your local public library Thom - couldn't have put it better myself. It always amazes me how many people purchase ebooks when they can be downloaded freely with their library card!

We offer 2 ebooks services at our library - from 3M Cloud and Overdrive - one or both will work with any tablet or eReader. bestsellers and popular authors are often more readily available digitally than in print. I never travel without my ipad and Kindle eReader.

Edited by librarylady19

You don't have to pay if you are a public library cardholder. The last great bargain of our times! Kobo and Sony are the two e-readers that are compatible with libraries. Kindle is not, which might influence your decision to buy one. I never buy books.

Thanks for the plug for your local public library Thom - couldn't have put it better myself. It always amazes me how many people purchase ebooks when they can be downloaded freely with their library card!

We offer 2 ebooks services at our library - from 3M Cloud and Overdrive - one or both will work with any tablet or eReader. bestsellers and popular authors are often more readily available digitally than in print. I never travel without my ipad and Kindle eReader.

I'm with you, librarylady! Your local public library represents the best use of your tax dollars ever. My library also offers 3M Cloud and Overdrive, and between the two of them, I can always load up my iPad before a trip. When I'm at home, I'm more of a real book person--again, obtained from my local public library.

Many years ago I decided if I didn't want my house to completely fill up with books, I'd have to rely on the library. The odd book or two sneaks in the door now and then, but then something has to go away to make space.

You don't have to pay if you are a public library cardholder. The last great bargain of our times! Kobo and Sony are the two e-readers that are compatible with libraries. Kindle is not, which might influence your decision to buy one. I never buy books.

My iPad works just fine with my library. Most libraries I am familiar with support all platforms of e-readers.

Reading is what I do on a cruise, so I am marginally obsessed with having books with me. On our previous 3 cruises I have perused the on-board Library selection and although I am sure i *could* find something to read there - it is not my first choice of selections.

I have two Kindles - the original and a Paperwhite. The PW works well for reading at night without having to turn on a light. The advantage of having two is that if one goes US for some reason (in the middle of the Atlantic perhaps), I have a backup.

I don't buy free books, but I do have a good selection of fiction and non-fiction on both. About 70 books in total, so that would take for ever to get through. I also bring 2 or 3 real books, and leave them behind if I am finished. Or do an impromptu swap with a fellow passenger.

Our library only supports Kobo e-readers. So that is not an option.