Lunch in MDR

philsuarez

I am giving Princess a try on a British Isles cruise from Southampton, UK in July 2014 on Ruby Princess.

I am aware that MDR is open on sea days but this is a fairly port intensive cruise so I wanted to know if it would be open any other days?

We hate the buffet with a vengeance and will not be going off the ship at every port of call hence my potential disappointment in not being able to enjoy a pleasant lunch in the MDR. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Generally speaking the MDR is closed on port days due to lack of demand. That said, if the ship is aware that many folks will be staying on board for a given port, they may have an offering.

This is becoming the norm on most lines, it has now been my experience on RCCL and Disney at least.

I am giving Princess a try on a British Isles cruise from Southampton, UK in July 2014 on Ruby Princess.

I am aware that MDR is open on sea days but this is a fairly port intensive cruise so I wanted to know if it would be open any other days?

We hate the buffet with a vengeance and will not be going off the ship at every port of call hence my potential disappointment in not being able to enjoy a pleasant lunch in the MDR. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Forums

MDR is also open on embarkation day from noon until 1:30PM.

Can also get lunch at the International Cafe, but there is limited seating room in that area to enjoy it.

Only other options on a port day if you hate the buffet are the pizza counter, the hamburger/hot dog/etc. stand and room service.

Generally speaking the MDR is closed on port days due to lack of demand.

I disagree. For many, many years there was apparently enough demand.

I think the main dining room is closed on port days as a cost savings.

The International café is a great option, and not hard to get a seat on a port day. They offer soup, salads like shrimp and chicken, sandwiches and Paninis and decadent deserts. We never go to the buffet and have never had a problem finding a pleasant lunch spot. The pizza is super as are the grilled burgers, chicken and bratwurst.

I my experience the dining room has been open only when the scheduled arrival time is after noon. For instance, it was open when we arrived in Aruba at 1 but not when we arrived at Grand Cayman at 11.

MDR is also open on embarkation day from noon until 1:30PM.

Can also get lunch at the International Cafe, but there is limited seating room in that area to enjoy it.

Only other options on a port day if you hate the buffet are the pizza counter, the hamburger/hot dog/etc. stand and room service.

Disembarked from the Diamond Princess last week. The Main Dining Room appeared to be open on embarkation day, but the dining room staff was only letting certain passengers in. A sign outside the door said "closed", but the Patter said it was open. Of course, I challenged the MD, showed him the Patter and my cruise card. He let us in and we had a wonderful meal.

I see subtle changes on Princess ships---this is one of them.

Oh it is a cost savings. But the MD on the Island when we were doing the Canal said before they did it, on days like Cartagena and Limon they sometimes only served less than 100 meals in the MDR for lunch. I can see more people wanting it in the Carib where many people have been to the ports. It's worth noting he and the EC did open it in Ocho Rios because so many people stayed on.

It takes a lot of prep work for a meal because they have to prepare at least some of all dishes, which also means the potential for a lot of waste.

I suggested a smaller menu (3-5 dishes plus sandwiches) in Sabatinis or the Bayou Cafe (put it on a comment card as well) and he thought that was a good idea and promised to run it up the flagpole as well.

I disagree. For many, many years there was apparently enough demand.

I think the main dining room is closed on port days as a cost savings.

The MDR is open with a short staff on turnaround day, as a large portion of the wait staff and some of the kitchen staff are on luggage and other turnaround duties. So they try to dissuade people. I don't agree with it, but I do understand it (see my post above, I think they should just offer a more limited menu and keep it open)

Disembarked from the Diamond Princess last week. The Main Dining Room appeared to be open on embarkation day, but the dining room staff was only letting certain passengers in. A sign outside the door said "closed", but the Patter said it was open. Of course, I challenged the MD, showed him the Patter and my cruise card. He let us in and we had a wonderful meal.

I see subtle changes on Princess ships---this is one of them.

They can do that. And raise prices to cover the wasted food costs and extra labor, etc, but they have discovered passengers won't pay that. So you look for cost savings that impact the least number of people.

It's not like there are not other dining options available, which would be a different story.

It should not matter if there were 100 meals served or 1000 meals served on port days for lunch, it is for the benefit of the passengers. :rolleyes:

The MDR is open with a short staff on turnaround day, as a large portion of the wait staff and some of the kitchen staff are on luggage and other turnaround duties. So they try to dissuade people. I don't agree with it, but I do understand it (see my post above, I think they should just offer a more limited menu and keep it open)

The dining room being open on embarkation day is promoted:

a) In a Princess press release

b) On the ship's fold-out map they hand you when youy check-in

c) In the embarkation day Patter

There is no excuse for trying to keep passengers from going to the dining room (while it is open) on embarkation day.

I happen to agree with Colo Cruiser tongue in cheek remark, the closing of the MDR has had a significant impact on the quality of DW's cruise given the fact that she is in a wheelchair and has big problems with buffets. That said, I really don't want reopened a huge debate on the topic.

We have in the past had trouble finding the open DR for embarkation day lunches but I am happy to say that in the past several years that has all changed .... yes, if you ask about lunch you will likely get directed to the buffet but if you read your Patters, find the DR that is open for lunch and are there before 1:30 then you should not have a problem.

Like I said, I don't agree with it. That doesn't mean why I understand why some MDs/HWs might do it. There are many things that ship staff do that I understand the why, even if its not how I think it should be done.

As with so many things, Princess needs to set an actual policy and communicate it to all staff with the expectation of it being done. Until they do that, you get stuff like this.

The dining room being open on embarkation day is promoted:

a) In a Princess press release

b) On the ship's fold-out map they hand you when youy check-in

c) In the embarkation day Patter

There is no excuse for trying to keep passengers from going to the dining room (while it is open) on embarkation day.

I was surprised to be turned away by a waiter at the entrance to the main dining room on embarkation day on the Ocean Princess a couple of months ago. He asked if we wanted to speak to the head waiter who came and told us the dining room was open for lunch. We didn't have this problem last year on the same ship.