Sports coat

lexdisic

Hi All

I know the subject has been thrashed to death, but I have a specific question about formal night dress code.

We are booked on Golden for a 31 day BA to LA South America cruise. There are only 5 formal nights and rather than pack my Tux we intend to try and eat in the speciality restaurants on those nights, for which I will wear my navy coloured Blazer/sports coat with shirt and tie. It seems a polpular way of doing things these days and wondered if I was unable to get a booking for that night, would I be welcome or feel out of place in the MDR. We dont want to eat in our room or the buffet. On such a long cruise, would the dress code be likely to be more relaxed - I am not talking about shorts, caps, tee's, etc.

Adrian

Check with your airline. An extra bag probably cost less than 5 nights in a specialty restaurant.

Its not about cost - we want to eat in the speciality anyway. For a long cruise I would prefer to use any extra luggage available for other things. Years since I wore a tux and think I would have to buy new (inevitable weight gain !!) and DW would demand new as well - the restaurants therefore become a cheaper alternative regardless

A blue navy blazer/sports coat will be absolutely fine in either the MDR or certainly in the specialty restaurants on formal nights. You will be welcome and will not feel out of place in these venues. Too many folks on these boards get intimidated by the "Clothes Police". NO ONE will say anything derogatory to you on the ship.

A blue navy blazer/sports coat will be absolutely fine in either the MDR or certainly in the specialty restaurants on formal nights. You will be welcome and will not feel out of place in these venues. Too many folks on these boards get intimidated by the "Clothes Police". NO ONE will say anything derogatory to you on the ship.

Thanks for that. I do tend to be one of those who get itimidated as I do believe that the rules are there for people to follow, but if there are others who also dress sensibly without a tux, then I am all for it. On a recent Oceania trip where there are no formal nights, everyone dressed sensibly with those who wanted to wear a tux did so, although a minority, were not out of place. Of course there will always be someone who will wear shorts and tees just to see how far they can push the system. This is our first time on Princess and want to be comfortable in our surroundings, with others comfortable with us. We will endeavour to book specialities for formal nights anyway, and hopefully we will get the reservations when we want them.

Adrian

Yes, for years now we have only packed one navy sport coat, one pair of grey pants, one white shirt, and two ties. Never had any issue wearing it in the MDR on formal nights. Many times after dinner the jacket & tie come off and are replaced by a collared shirt.

On our cruises on formal night in the anytime dining rooms perhaps 25% of the men at most wore a tux. Most of the rest either wore a suit or a sport coat and tie. I wear a tux because I have one and like to dress up a little. But suits or sport coats are okay and are not turned away.

I have taken my tux on three of our cruises and have taken a sport coat, dress slacks, dress shirt and tie on the other one. I appreciate the fact that most men on formal night at least wear a coat and tie or choose to eat somewhere other than the dining rooms.

I have and will continue to wear what Princess permits which is a long sleeve shirt and tie. Why carry a sports coat or a tux jsut for a few meals. Why spend more money just to palcate the CLOTHING POLICE. Wear what you feel comfortable in and enjoy your meals in the MDR.

I have and will continue to wear what Princess permits which is a long sleeve shirt and tie. Why carry a sports coat or a tux jsut for a few meals. Why spend more money just to palcate the CLOTHING POLICE. Wear what you feel comfortable in and enjoy your meals in the MDR.

We disembarked a Princess cruise last week on which the MD required a jacket and tie to enter the dining room on formal night. We were at a table for 6. My husband was the only man who had a jacket. The other two men were not allowed to eat in the dining room without a jacket. So beware, some MD do I force the dress code.

Hi All

I know the subject has been thrashed to death, but I have a specific question about formal night dress code.

We are booked on Golden for a 31 day BA to LA South America cruise. There are only 5 formal nights and rather than pack my Tux we intend to try and eat in the speciality restaurants on those nights, for which I will wear my navy coloured Blazer/sports coat with shirt and tie. It seems a polpular way of doing things these days and wondered if I was unable to get a booking for that night, would I be welcome or feel out of place in the MDR. We dont want to eat in our room or the buffet. On such a long cruise, would the dress code be likely to be more relaxed - I am not talking about shorts, caps, tee's, etc.

Adrian

The sports coat & tie with slacks sounds like it would be more than sufficient for Formal night or the Specialty Restaurants. A lot of diner's dress on formal nights even though they are going to SR's. ;)

paul929207 Check with your airline. An extra bag probably cost less than 5 nights in a specialty restaurant.

Agree with paul929207. Five nights @ $25 x two is quite a bit just to avoid the Tux! :confused:

The sports coat & tie with slacks sounds like it would be more than sufficient for Formal night or the Specialty Restaurants. A lot of diner's dress on formal nights even though they are going to SR's. ;)

Agree with paul929207. Five nights @ $25 x two is quite a bit just to avoid the Tux! :confused:

Thanks for your input but as I said previously, I am not doing the specialities to avoid taking my tux. We are going there anyway. Just wondered how it would be in the MDR without one as I havent sailed with princess before.

Adrian

Its not about cost - we want to eat in the speciality anyway. For a long cruise I would prefer to use any extra luggage available for other things. Years since I wore a tux and think I would have to buy new (inevitable weight gain !!) and DW would demand new as well - the restaurants therefore become a cheaper alternative regardless

Blue blazer and tie....perfect. A very nice look!

Concur that a nice sports coat with tie & dress slacks will be fine in the MDR as well as specialty restaurants -- that is my normal attire for formal nights on Princess. More specifically, we did the B.A. - Valparaiso - LA cruises on Grand and Star Princess a year ago with that attire. For us, luggage space and weight are always limiting factors on a long trip, and there are many higher-priority things that one actually needs. That said, in (partial) deference to the rules and sensitivities, I would not attempt to go to the MDR on formal night without wearing at least a sports jacket, tie, and decent pants.

John

Edited by J-D

Adrian, You will fit in nicely with a dark blazer/sportcoat and gray pants. Especially on such long cruise, I would guess you would see even less than the 15% or so tuxes. For sure you will not be in the minority.

We met a couple from Great Britain on our last Princess cruise. He wore a navy blazer, charcoal pants, white shirt with a very nice hand tied bow tie in a club print. He looked more handsome and put together than anyone else around us. :)

Thanks for your input but as I said previously, I am not doing the specialities to avoid taking my tux. We are going there anyway. Just wondered how it would be in the MDR without one as I havent sailed with princess before.

Adrian

You will be fine.