Virus on Nautica

treasure4two

We got off the Nautica on March 10 and I just heard from another cruiser on our cruise that numerous people got a virus/flu on the ship and are still on medication at home. She also is in contact with people on the cruise after ours and they said that about 20% of the people on their cruise came down with something(virus/flu) on the cruise. Our cabin was down from the medical office and we saw lots of crew and cruisers in there. We know one server we got close to on the cruise that had a flu/virus for about 3-4 days and then was back working. The last couple days of the cruise, they had a crew member standing at the entrance to Terrace Café by the machine with germ killer and had all guests put it on their hands plus we saw the staff going around wiping down backs of chairs. My husband and I were blessed enough not to get sick at all, but feel for those who got sick and are still recovering. Makes you realize you have to be very careful and use the germ killer every chance you have.

When we were on NCL's GEM a few years ago there was also a crew member at the entrance to a restaurant exhorting passengers to "washee, washee". This was the case even if you were just walking through the buffet and not touching anything.

I'm glad to say I don't think we've encountered such illnesses on any of O's ships in the past but it can happen anywhere.

Mura

It happens

I have gotten a cold/upper respiratory infection on most of our winter cruises

it can spread like wildfire on a ship

We had an e-coli outbreak on the ship ...we did not know what it was at the time just upset tummies & some other symptoms but only lasted a day for me unfortunately I caught it twice

Went to my cabin & slept

Lyn

We got off the Nautica on March 10 and I just heard from another cruiser on our cruise that numerous people got a virus/flu on the ship and are still on medication at home. She also is in contact with people on the cruise after ours and they said that about 20% of the people on their cruise came down with something(virus/flu) on the cruise. Our cabin was down from the medical office and we saw lots of crew and cruisers in there. We know one server we got close to on the cruise that had a flu/virus for about 3-4 days and then was back working. The last couple days of the cruise, they had a crew member standing at the entrance to Terrace Café by the machine with germ killer and had all guests put it on their hands plus we saw the staff going around wiping down backs of chairs. My husband and I were blessed enough not to get sick at all, but feel for those who got sick and are still recovering. Makes you realize you have to be very careful and use the germ killer every chance you have.

I would not believe that 20% had the flu ..that is a huge percentage..and we would have heard about it

Jancruz1

I would not believe that 20% had the flu ..that is a huge percentage..and we would have heard about it

Jancruz1

I just googled the CDC cruise ship reporting requirements and I tried to copy it but that did not work...

It states that Cruise Ships (actually said International Cruise Shops) are required to report illness outbreaks when it affects 2% (not 20, just 2%) of the ships population.

So a 20% outbreak would have been all over the news!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just googled the CDC cruise ship reporting requirements and I tried to copy it but that did not work...

It states that Cruise Ships (actually said International Cruise Shops) are required to report illness outbreaks when it affects 2% (not 20, just 2%) of the ships population.

Thanks Nana throwing such large numbers around is irresponsible IMHO

Jancruz1

Double check to see if that requirement is only when they stop in a US port? I've seen other people mention that. Also is it just for Noro? Is the OP saying it's Noro? I think the Nautica is somewhere in SE Asia and might not have to report that. Not sure.

But, I'm sure we would have heard of it if that many people were sick. 20% would be 130-140 people. I agree that a number that big should be verified a bit more before alarming people.

One of the things I like about Oceania is that I feel I am less likely to get Noro as there are a lot less people(and fewer kids) and the buffet has much better contamination measures due to the way they have the staff serving most of the food there. I hate to live in fear on a long cruise that I'll get sick and get quarantined.

Unfortunately on the Nautica as witnessed personally this past January, there are passengers who reach and grab things with their hands and when told by fellow passengers or crew that they should not, they usually respond with very crude language and continue on their merry way. We actually had a passenger state that "I have broken every rule and regulation there is except for murder and rape and I am still alive". When you get someone like that, there is nothing the crew or fellow passengers can do about them. Fortunately, passengers like this are in the minority and not the majority.

Double check to see if that requirement is only when they stop in a US port? I've seen other people mention that. Also is it just for Noro? Is the OP saying it's Noro? I think the Nautica is somewhere in SE Asia and might not have to report that. Not sure.

But, I'm sure we would have heard of it if that many people were sick. 20% would be 130-140 people. I agree that a number that big should be verified a bit more before alarming people.

One of the things I like about Oceania is that I feel I am less likely to get Noro as there are a lot less people(and fewer kids) and the buffet has much better contamination measures due to the way they have the staff serving most of the food there. I hate to live in fear on a long cruise that I'll get sick and get quarantined.

Based on my reading it seems to apply to all cruise lines participating in the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program (all major lines world wide participate). It covers Noro and the OP's virus/flu would be included if such a huge amount of ships population was involved. Because these passengers many from North America would return carrying some infectious disease.

Thanks Nana throwing such large numbers around is irresponsible IMHO

Jancruz1

Gosh I disputed that number I didn't think I spread anything.... I'm sure there was illness if the OP states there was but 20% seems unlikely. As even a 2% outbreak would have been investigated by CDC and that would be in the news.

??????

Unfortunately, many illnesses go unreported because if you go to the doctor onboard you are quarantined in your stateroom (as is the person you share the cabin with). When we were on the Voyager in January, there were a lot of people sick -- NOT with noro -- it was various colds, coughs and some stomach ailments. When we docked, the ship went through a thorough sanitation. However, passengers continuing on that were still sick could spread it to people joining the ship.

I believe that Oceania and Regent do an exemplary job of maintaining a safe, hygienic environment. There is really nothing they can do when passengers board the ship when they are sick and do not cover their mouths when they cough.

Gosh I disputed that number I didn't think I spread anything.... I'm sure there was illness if the OP states there was but 20% seems unlikely. As even a 2% outbreak would have been investigated by CDC and that would be in the news.

??????

I'm pretty sure Jan wasn't referring to you. At least that they way I read it.

I think only those stopping in US ports report to the CDC ...I could be wrong

There are probably other health agencies in other Countries that ships report to

20% of passengers + crew would be closer to 200

if that many were sick the port may not allow anyone to get off if it were contagious

We do not know what type of virus/flu/cold is going around

??????

Nana, I thanked you..I appreciated you looking it up..I wasnt being sarcastic (I never am, not my style) so please keep on looking for info to help us!! It was the op tat quoted 20% which I disputed..

Jancruz1

Yes, the Nautica is in sailing around Asia and that 20% was given to me through a friend from someone on the ship. I have no reason to try to alarm anyone or spread false news. How can anyone verify the number, especially if the crew themselves would not even admit it when we were on board-the server we knew admitted she had the flu to us yet her manager/MD would not admit it. They did not want us to know something was spreading on the ship, yet many were sick and some still taking 3+- medicines 10 days after the cruise. I was trying to make people more aware of trying to use the germ killer more often, but not giving false info to make my point. I do not want to make anyone 'live in fear', just to be extra careful and use lots of germ killer.

Yes, the Nautica is in sailing around Asia and that 20% was given to me through a friend from someone on the ship. I have no reason to try to alarm anyone or spread false news. How can anyone verify the number, especially if the crew themselves would not even admit it when we were on board-the server we knew admitted she had the flu to us yet her manager/MD would not admit it. They did not want us to know something was spreading on the ship, yet many were sick and some still taking 3+- medicines 10 days after the cruise. I was trying to make people more aware of trying to use the germ killer more often, but not giving false info to make my point. I do not want to make anyone 'live in fear', just to be extra careful and use lots of germ killer.

if you CAN"T VERIFY don't post numbers. Rumors are one thing but hard and fast supposed facts are another.. If you want to make people aware of using a disinfectant do so without the scare tactics please.

Yes, we were told when we boarded that the previous cruise had sick people - 2%. They also said they were using their sanitation procedures.

After a few days, they decided to close the self-serve laundry and they have been offering 20 items for $20 laundry service. And the captain didn't shake hands at his cocktail party. It looks like it is back to normal but there may be the usual coughs and colds around. At the repeat cruisers do, they were shaking hands again, but not me!

All in all, we have been thoroughly enjoying the cruise. First time on the R-ships and loving the wonderful ports of call.

Yes, we were told when we boarded that the previous cruise had sick people - 2%. They also said they were using their sanitation procedures.

After a few days, they decided to close the self-serve laundry and they have been offering 20 items for $20 laundry service. And the captain didn't shake hands at his cocktail party. It looks like it is back to normal but there may be the usual coughs and colds around. At the repeat cruisers do, they were shaking hands again, but not me!

All in all, we have been thoroughly enjoying the cruise. First time on the R-ships and loving the wonderful ports of call.

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for posting a first person experience.

I never thought about the self serve laundry being an issue. I assume the thinking is people that are or have been sick will have the germs on their clothes and contaminate other people's clothing? Or is it something else?

I personally would prefer to not shake hands with the staff at those functions. Sounds like a great way to spread germs. I think all cruise lines should make it a practice to not shake hands at these events. I'm completely okay with a nod accompanied by "Good Evening" or "Welcome" or some other pleasantry.

I personally would prefer to not shake hands with the staff at those functions. Sounds like a great way to spread germs. I think all cruise lines should make it a practice to not shake hands at these events. I'm completely okay with a nod accompanied by "Good Evening" or "Welcome" or some other pleasantry.

I agree

We used the sanitizer on the way in then I went & used it again after shaking hands

But I am quite happy just to nod to the Captain

he would probably happy to not have to shake so many hands in the evening ;)

Lyn

Thank you for the update

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

I may be wrong, and if I am no doubt somebody with more knowledge will tell me I'm wrong, but I don't think the sanitizing gel actually stops the spread of viruses such as noro. It kills germs but not viruses.

Oh,but a friend,of a friends friend told me it does! :)

No seriously that is what numerous articles recently written also seem to claim.

I think that "Constant" hand washing, avoiding touching things in public spaces (think railings, elevator buttons etc), don't touch your own face (or any thing on said face) and did I mention WASH YOUR HANDS!

Sorry for shouting.

Use common sense, stay as far away from sick people and wash - - -

Being a fruitcake I also (ya really) carry Clorox wipes on cruises and yes I've read they don't really help but they make me feel better :)