Where should we go???!!

Purplsmurf

Hi everyone! Hoping to get some good advice here :) ....My parents will be celebrating their 50th anniversary next year and they want to take our family on a cruise. We have been on quite a few cruises with them....and they have been just about everywhere imaginable on cruises.....so we aren't sure where to go. There will be 10 of us. Two of the kids are in college (ages 22 and 20), one will be graduating high school next year and the other will be a junior in high school. The one graduating next year will be playing college basketball so the only time we could sail would be mid June-early to mid July (not sure when she has to leave for college). We have all done numerous Caribbean cruises and being summer there is not much choice there. My parents have suggested Alaska, but nobody seems to want to go there. Just not sure if it is somewhere the kids would enjoy. They don't want to spend the $$ for everyone to just be "ok" with the cruise. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking Europe, but then we have the high cost of plane tickets. I say Europe.....but then again, it isn't my $$!!!! Thank you!!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It depends on how much you want a beach trip compared to exploring

For exploring, we have not been able to beat doing the baltics and did it with 3 teens who all enjoyed it but have to admit none are real beach babies

For sun and beaches, if you are not wanting the normal areas such as St maarten, St lucia etc - how about trying either the pacific coast and mexico, the panama canal or doing cozumel, costa maya, belize area

I suppose the trip is to celebrate their 50th anniversary and as they have made a suggestion - is Alaska where they really want to go?

I agree with Happy Cruiser. You are missing out on a great trip to Alaska. Contrary to popular belief, it is not cold there during the summer. Last year was unusually warm with highs in the 90s. It was beautiful. If some of you wanted, you could stretch into a 2 week or longer trip by adding on a land based vacation to a one way cruise.

Another option may be Hawaii?

It does sound like they would like to do Alaska and there are some great private excursions with sea planes etc. Maybe they should give you several to choose from, so you could make the choice from that. The Med is always great; the Eastern Med even better; Australia and New Zealand are fantastic...You know your family, so what is your gut instinct?:eek: I agree with those who have added the idea of a land trip to the cruise; best of both IMHO.

Edited by Lastdance

My youngest DD is 18. She has been on 12 cruises-Caribbean, Mexico, Bermuda, Pacific Coastals, and Alaska. Alaska twice-once when she was 12 and again when she was 16-it is far and away her favorite cruise destination! It is different-it is beautiful amazing-there are soooo many fabulous excursions! It wasn't cold either time we were there-July and end of season September. Did you know you can snorkel there? way different than Hawaii or the Caribbean. You can hold a sea cucumber! Float planes to glaciers! Bears! White Pass railway into the Yukon! Don't think anyone would be disappointed JMO.

:)

Robin

Wow! Thank you for the suggestions! I had no idea that Alaska had that much to offer!! Yes, I think my parents would like to go there. It is the only place they haven't been. Believe it or not my son (the youngest of the kids) is the only one that really wants to go to Alaska!! To be honest, I personally enjoy the warm places and beaches, but sounds like I would really enjoy Alaska as well!! Thank you again for the ideas!!!

Here's the link to my Alaska Review. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877023

We did our own land based vacation prior and then sailed southbound on the Millie. It was the first time my DH and I had ever taken 2 straight weeks of vacation and it was by far the best vacation we've done yet. I want to go back and do it again, but visiting different parts of the state than what we did the first time. There is a TON of stuff to do/see and you'll never be able to see/do it all in one trip.

I've been to Alaska twice (both on Celebrity) There is so much to see and do there for all ages and abilities. At least check it out. It is beautiful. I would read the questions and answers on the Alaska destination board to get a feel for all that Alaska offers. Have fun planning.

Hands down, Alaska. Trip of a lifetime for all of you, and given that this is your parents' 50th, I would surely take the hint and do what they have mentioned.

I think you'll be surprised at Alaska - adults and children alike will love it. Who wouldn't

Wow, nobody wants to go to Alaska?! You're missing a fantastic place.

Agree also, why not Alaska, would be a once in a lifetime experience for everyone. If not you are probably on the wrong board only because Celebrity does nothing out of the Caribbean in the summer. Celebrities options would be Europe, Bermuda and Alaska. Bermuda is absolutely beautiful and whats nice about that trip is you are there for a couple of days.

We, too, considered ourselves "beach people," and were uninterested in Alaska. That is, until we went.

The scenery is amazing - be sure to do the Inside Passage itinerary - and the ports offer so many different things to do. After the cruise we took the train to Juneau, and that was another wonderful day. I have heard the land options are really great.

I wouldn't hesitate to go on another Alaska adventure. So much to see and do, it's not possible to take it all in with just one cruise.

Especially since your parents - the ones you are honoring with this family vacation - have expressed an interest in going to Alaska, it seems like the perfect solution.

Yes, I think my parents would like to go there. It is the only place they haven't been.

I think there's your answer. The only place your parents haven't been. It's their 50th anniversary. How much longer will you have them with you? Rejoice and be glad with them. I just lost my mother. I'd give anything to have her back.

Alaska is an awesome cruise destination. You can't possibly do it all in one cruise. I just booked my third cruise to Alaska. In addition to the other activities mentioned, you can also go zip lining. Whale watching--did anybody mention whale watching?

I loved my second cruise to Alaska - with a 5 day pre-cruise tour to Talkeetna and Denali. We took the dome car train twice - with spectacular scenery and breakfast and lunch on the train. There were guides on the train telling us what we were seeing , and the history of the area. There were wonderful tours in each location including white water rafting, sea planes landing on the glaciers, and sled dog camp tours where you were each greeted with a puppy as you got off the bus. One of the hotels had a free tram ride up the mountain where you could hike, or eat at a luxury restaurant way up in the sky! The hours the ship spent in the Hubbard Glacier was a breathtaking experience ( and I've seen plenty of snow living in Rochester!) Whale watching in Juneau was wonderful. I think the variety of tours and activities available give people of all ages a chance to experience opportunities of a life time!

ALASKA! You kids will love it and so will you. I am 48 and I am headed to Alaska for the 7th time this summer. It's the final frontier and a place every American should see. This natural beauty is astounding.

But most importantly- your parents want to go there and Alaska blows away the Caribbean. It isn't even comparable.

As for Europe... that isn't an easy trip for older people and the price tag makes it in a whole different ballpark. Take the hint.. your parents want to do Alaska and you won't be sorry.

The kids will love the whales, the ziplining, the dog sleds and petting the puppies. For beer drinkers- Skagway and Juneau (the Hanger) will be highlights. There is nothing like sitting in the hot tubs while sailing through the glaciers. It's heaven.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Well, I called my mom and told her that we want to go to Alaska! She asked what changed our mind. I told her that I got good advice from here;) She will now be looking into it! Hopefully my brother and his family will agree as well! They are in their 60's so not old by any means so Europe would've been fun and affordable for them, but they have been on Europe cruises, Med, South America, South Pacific, Baltic, etc....but not Alaska yet so I think that is why they would like to go there. Everyone is right, it is their anniversary and even though THEY asked US where we want to go I think deep down Alaska is their choice! Now I am getting excited!! Thank you all for your great advice!! I appreciate it!! :)

Well, I called my mom and told her that we want to go to Alaska! She asked what changed our mind. I told her that I got good advice from here;) She will now be looking into it! Hopefully my brother and his family will agree as well! They are in their 60's so not old by any means so Europe would've been fun and affordable for them, but they have been on Europe cruises, Med, South America, South Pacific, Baltic, etc....but not Alaska yet so I think that is why they would like to go there. Everyone is right, it is their anniversary and even though THEY asked US where we want to go I think deep down Alaska is their choice! Now I am getting excited!! Thank you all for your great advice!! I appreciate it!! :)

I think you'll be pleased with your decision. Please come back after the trip and let us know how it was.