alcohol and soda packages

janeeve

58 year old mum and 16 year old daughter preparing for our 1st cruise 12/7. 14 nights on the Caribbean Princess. Read a little about drinks policy. Can I take wine aboard? Should I purchase vodka from room service? Can it only be consumed in our cabin? Are alcohol packages available? Do soda/soda and more packages have to be purchased for the duration or on a daily basis? Are the packages worth it? How do I tip? HELP: confused:

58 year old mum and 16 year old daughter preparing for our 1st cruise 12/7. 14 nights on the Caribbean Princess. Read a little about drinks policy. Can I take wine aboard? Should I purchase vodka from room service? Can it only be consumed in our cabin? Are alcohol packages available? Do soda/soda and more packages have to be purchased for the duration or on a daily basis? Are the packages worth it? How do I tip? HELP: confused:

You can bring 1 bottle wine/champagne, any additional would be subject to a $15 corkage fee.

You cannot bring on alcohol so best to but it onboard.

You can drink anything you want in your cabin.

Yes all inclusive alcohol package $56 per day PP.

Has to be purchased for (approx $8 per day pp) also have to be purchased for the whole cruise, no proration.

Everyone is charged $11.50 or $12.00 per day for the gratuity, depending on cabin.

Everyone is charged $11.50 or $12.00 per day for the gratuity, depending on cabin.
In addition, there's a 15% service fee on all drinks bought, including bottled water, soda by the can, alcoholic drinks, soda or soda & more package, etc. Onboard, you may tip extra for better-than-normal service. It's a personal decision. The "auto-tip" covers all cabin and dining service. For tours, you will probably want to tip the guide and/or driver but that's optional. Edited by Pam in CA

Soda package is $4.50 USD/day and has to be purchased for the entire trip plus they automatically add a 15% tip. Drink packages have to be purchased at the beginning of the voyage after boarding the ship. There will be ample opportunity to do so in most public areas.

Anything bought at a bar has a 15% tip automatically added. The cabin tip is $11.50 USD/day ($12.00 USD/day for suites and mini-suites) and is automatically added to your bill every day. It covers the room steward and food staff (waiter, etc). It can be removed by going down to guest services and requesting it. No need to worry about tipping as it is added to your bill unless you want to leave a bigger tip.

The cabin tip is $11.50 USD/day ($12.00 USD/day for suites and mini-suites) and is automatically added to your bill every day. It covers the room steward and food staff (waiter, etc). It can be removed by going down to guest services and requesting it. No need to worry about tipping as it is added to your bill unless you want to leave a bigger tip.

DO NOT remove the "cabin tip" shown on your folios as the hotel charge. By the way it isn't per cabin the charge is per person and will appear on both you and your daughter's folio. If you remove it any additional cash tips provided to staff must be turned in and shared by all in the pool. You gain nothing with this approach and stand to lose good service.

Regarding wine, you may bring one 750ml bottle of wine on board at no charge for use in your cabin. Additional bottles of wine may be carried on board and are charged a $15 corkage fee per bottle. These bottles will be marked and can be used anywhere on the ship. Your daughter is not 21 so she is not permitted to carry on wine. You may not bring any beer or spirits on board.

DO NOT remove the "cabin tip" shown on your folios as the hotel charge. By the way it isn't per cabin the charge is per person and will appear on both you and your daughter's folio. If you remove it any additional cash tips provided to staff must be turned in and shared by all in the pool. You gain nothing with this approach and stand to lose good service.

I have had it removed before and still had great service. It's a personal thing and feel strongly that I want to give the cash directly to those that took care of me (room attendant, waiter, assistant waiter, etc...) and we even give extra. Now what they truly do with it is their business as IMHO they earned it. If anything, it makes me feel good rewarding those that made my vacation great.

Even though!!! They have to turn it in because you removed the auto tips.You just did them wrong and they lost out. :(

I beg to differ and I have been cruising for 30(+) years. I personally heaved asked them and was told either way works (as long as you truly tip).

I beg to differ and I have been cruising for 30(+) years. I personally heaved asked them and was told either way works (as long as you truly tip).

I won't argue the point on who has cruised the longest, however I will stand by my belief of how the system works on Princess. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I won't argue the point on who has cruised the longest, however I will stand by my belief of how the system works on Princess. :)

Then it's fair to say that iwe can agree to disagree. What works for you and what works for me definitely works for those that work for us :)

Regarding wine, you may bring one 750ml bottle of wine on board at no charge for use in your cabin. Additional bottles of wine may be carried on board and are charged a $15 corkage fee per bottle. These bottles will be marked and can be used anywhere on the ship. Your daughter is not 21 so she is not permitted to carry on wine. You may not bring any beer or spirits on board.

The auto tip is an option, if you want to remove it you can, it a personal choice for you to make. You dont have to be orded by a cc member not to to take it off.

The auto tip is an option, if you want to remove it you can, it a personal choice for you to make. You dont have to be orded by a cc member not to to take it off.

Thank you for the support.... That is kind of what I felt anyway. It's easy to tell others how to spend their money. I love the look upon the faces of those that make our cruise experience awesome when we personally pass on the envelope to them. We usually write a special note on it and tell them to enjoy and do as they please. They made our week and we like to make their day :)

I thought that on mainstream cruise lines besides having a per day/per person tipping system more convenient for the cruiser; that it also includes so many "behind the scenes" who also work hard, one example the kitchen crew working with the food preparation ??

Edited by petlover

I have had it removed before and still had great service. It's a personal thing and feel strongly that I want to give the cash directly to those that took care of me (room attendant, waiter, assistant waiter, etc...) and we even give extra. Now what they truly do with it is their business as IMHO they earned it. If anything, it makes me feel good rewarding those that made my vacation great.

Whether to remove the auto tip or not is anyones decision of course you have that option, IMHO nobody is telling you what to do..... But I agree with Colo Cruiser if you remove the auto tips You just did them wrong and a disservice as they now lost out..... Why? Because let's just say you want to tip your room attendant more or the waiter more, By taking off the auto tip and tipping extra in cash to those you think gave better service is not going to go to them it will go into a pool and be split amongst all.... You have hence not tipped your room attendant more but the same as all.....

If you want to tip Extra to those that served you better you leave the auto tip on then tip extra in cash in an envelope like old school and they get to keep it and don't have to share or turn it in.... Trust me I had a huge problem at first with auto tip, But once I understood how the cruiseline

penalizes them if you take it off and shares it with all.... In the end you will see you did not tip extra.....

I see your point.... Hey I tipped! Not my problem who gets it.... But who get's the tip is not who you think anymore....

Old school tipping I liked and agree with you but it does not work the way you think anymore.... Of course the crew will tell you it's fine to take it off, But they just can't tell you the truth for fear of losing their job..... Period.

Edited by jagmanss1

Another great idea..... bring onboard a few prepaid calling cards to give away in lue of cash with the auto tip in place to make sure they get to keep Extra.

Some may use the calling cards, but probably most these days communicate regularly with home via Internet.

Whether to remove the auto tip or not is anyones decision of course you have that option, IMHO nobody is telling you what to do.....

Huh?

A previous post said:

"DO NOT remove the "cabin tip" shown on your folios as the hotel charge."

How is that not someone telling you what to do?