MDR attire....

uilleann

I am retired now but had a career where for much of it i had to wear a suite. I went to expensive restaurants throughout the US and many in Europe. I hated wearing a suite. I find that its uncomfortable and restrictive. You have to be careful not to stain it while eating and dry cleaning costs money and starts to add up. The day I retired I also retired the suites. Jeans or shorts and t shirts are the order of the day. I have also found that I can find as good or better food a lower budget restaurants where the atmosphere is WAY more relaxed and fun than an upscale expensive restaurant.

So now I am going on a cruise and "the rules" say I have to play dress up again. Yes i know I could have booked on a more relaxed cruise line but one of my brothers set this one up. Yes I know I can go to the Lido but the food there is not as good as the MDR. I also know that i can eat in my room but that is not an option as this is a reunion with my brothers. I did get an agreement with them not to pack the tuxes. Yes i have a tux.... Hate that more than the suite.

What bugs me even more are the people who are disgusted with others who dress below what THEY consider appropriate. On a REAL vacation for me i would never put myself in the kind of situation that exists for the MDR.

So on formal nights I will be the guy with the most relaxed button collared shirt that I can find, a sports jacket and an emergency tie in his pocket. And once I sit... The jacket comes off.

It's funny.... In my business we called that portal to portal. As soon as you sit down for a meeting or a meal you wait for the first person to loosen a tie or pull off a jacket and then everyone does it. Then you put it all on again after the meeting or meal. We all have such strange customs that we burden ourselves with.

uilleann......your business life experiences mirror mine. As do your dress preferences in retirement.

I have a closet full of fine dark suits, dress shirts, ties, dress shoes. I have no idea why I have so many cuff links either! It was my 'uniform' during my working life.

I gave up the uniform when I retired!

Edited by iancal

I am, on the other hand, really looking forward to our upcoming cruise and a change to wear my tux, suits, and sports coats again. I did that for most of my 44-year career and now that I'm semi-retired I miss it. That's not to say one preference is right and the other wrong. It's all about choices and actually one of the attractions of cruising as there are different lines, different sized ships, different standards, and so on. It's not a tube sock, one size does not fit all. :)

I am, on the other hand, really looking forward to our upcoming cruise and a change to wear my tux, suits, and sports coats again. I did that for most of my 44-year career and now that I'm semi-retired I miss it. That's not to say one preference is right and the other wrong. It's all about choices and actually one of the attractions of cruising as there are different lines, different sized ships, different standards, and so on. It's not a tube sock, one size does not fit all. :)
I completely agree! It is a matter of choice. We look forward to formal nights and respect the dress code. We also have the choice not to adhere to the dress code and dine elsewhere (Lido, pool side, etc.). There has been a lot written about the dress code and standards. I personally don't go to the MDR to "be seen". I go there to dine. If I have to wear a a collared shirt, sports coat, appropriate pants, suit, or tux....SO BE IT! There are always choices. :)

Your wife likes to dress on the occassion? Why not just for this cruise.... only for jackets on formal evenings.... wear the jacket for you to please your wife. Would it really be that difficult? It would complement your's dress sense and wouldn't everyone in the dining room say, "Wow! Look at that couple... so smart!" :)

Your wife likes to dress on the occassion? Why not just for this cruise.... only for jackets on formal evenings.... wear the jacket for you to please your wife. Would it really be that difficult? It would complement your's dress sense and wouldn't everyone in the dining room say, "Wow! Look at that couple... so smart!" :)

I agree, Topsham.... not everything, all the time, should to be about "suiting" oneself! :rolleyes:

Uilleann, you are hardly alone in your reasons and intents in this matter.

Edited by 0bnxshs

First of all... it strikes me as rather presumptious for you to assume that others will be "disgusted by your attire" (as you put it), because, despite what you may think, NOBODY REALLY CARES what you wear! Really. Your wardrobe is simply not on anyone's radar. You have made up your mind. Wear what you want. Enjoy the MDR.

OP, let me quote from one of your prior posts "........ We do not cruise often. This will be our 2nd. My wife recently beat cancer, our 40th anniversary is about this time. So are our both of our Birthdays! ......................".

While not one of your other fellow cruisers will care in the least what you wear in the MDR since you've stated "my wife LOVES to play dress up" what a wonderful anniversary, birthday and Congratulation on beating breast cancer gift you could give her. Go ahead, surprise her, suffer through one evening and make HER feel special.

I am retired now but had a career where for much of it i had to wear a suite. I went to expensive restaurants throughout the US and many in Europe. I hated wearing a suite. I find that its uncomfortable and restrictive. You have to be careful not to stain it while eating and dry cleaning costs money and starts to add up. The day I retired I also retired the suites. Jeans or shorts and t shirts are the order of the day. I have also found that I can find as good or better food a lower budget restaurants where the atmosphere is WAY more relaxed and fun than an upscale expensive restaurant.

So now I am going on a cruise and "the rules" say I have to play dress up again. Yes i know I could have booked on a more relaxed cruise line but one of my brothers set this one up. Yes I know I can go to the Lido but the food there is not as good as the MDR. I also know that i can eat in my room but that is not an option as this is a reunion with my brothers. I did get an agreement with them not to pack the tuxes. Yes i have a tux.... Hate that more than the suite.

What bugs me even more are the people who are disgusted with others who dress below what THEY consider appropriate. On a REAL vacation for me i would never put myself in the kind of situation that exists for the MDR.

So on formal nights I will be the guy with the most relaxed button collared shirt that I can find, a sports jacket and an emergency tie in his pocket. And once I sit... The jacket comes off.

It's funny.... In my business we called that portal to portal. As soon as you sit down for a meeting or a meal you wait for the first person to loosen a tie or pull off a jacket and then everyone does it. Then you put it all on again after the meeting or meal. We all have such strange customs that we burden ourselves with.

Some of us do, indeed.

Good point but maybe what they could do, for example, is declare the lower half of the MDR as less formal. I think the problem is that the lower half would get over booked. Or maybe a portion of the upper level as formal. Make the number of tables preferring formal equal to the size of the space...... Everyone happy!

I got past caring what people thought i looked like a long time ago. It is just not important to me. I care more about things like my health and being comfortable, and having fun.

Good grief, another rant about attire in the Main Dining Room. It is what it is.... and we all have to learn to live with it.

I have seen many things in my lifetime that have improved with a little constructive complaining. I never want to live my life with the attitude of this is the way it is so I have to live with it. Although that has not worked so well on taxes yet....

OP, let me quote from one of your prior posts "........ We do not cruise often. This will be our 2nd. My wife recently beat cancer, our 40th anniversary is about this time. So are our both of our Birthdays! ......................".

While not one of your other fellow cruisers will care in the least what you wear in the MDR since you've stated "my wife LOVES to play dress up" what a wonderful anniversary, birthday and Congratulation on beating breast cancer gift you could give her. Go ahead, surprise her, suffer through one evening and make HER feel special.

Good point but its not one evening its two a week for 2 weeks. 4 evenings!

I think the problem is that the lower half would get over booked. Or maybe a portion of the upper level as formal.
Once on a HAL cruise we had a "formal optional" night. (I think it was a test.) About 3/4 of the people treated it as formal. Edited by catl331

Good point but maybe what they could do, for example, is declare the lower half of the MDR as less formal. I think the problem is that the lower half would get over booked. Or maybe a portion of the upper level as formal. Make the number of tables preferring formal equal to the size of the space...... Everyone happy!

That could possibly work with HAL and their two-tier MDRs. The smaller ships we're sailing now don't have that option so usually they designate the MDR the absolute formal venue and enforce the dress code accordingly. Appropriate formal evening wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Those who chose not to dress formally are free to pick one of the other venues for that evening though even then they require at least "casually elegant attire".

Back when we sailed on our veryb first cruise (HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam - previous version - to Alaska) in 1985, The only dining options were the main dining room and the Lido buffet. Unfortunately the Lido buffet was open only for breakfast and lunch and for the midnight buffet.

Room service provided coffee, tea and, if I remember correctly, two or three sandwich choices.

There were two formal nights on our 7 day cruise.

Our TA told us that a regular business suit with a white shirt would be OK for the formal nights. My recollection is that perhaps 2/3rds of the men were wearing tuxedos. The women were all gorgeous, most wearing very fancy dresses.

Since that cruise, I bought a tux which I wore only on cruises (and two charity dinners). Unfortunately my avoirdupois has increased to the point that my tux is no longer wearable (unless I go on a huge diet). However the variety of dining options that are now available, and the acceptability of business suits instead of tuxedos has made the "formal night" a personal option instead of a requirement.

Over the last 10 years or so I first stopped packing the tux, and later any business attire, opting for "country club casual" garb for all of our cruising.

I understand uilleann's position about the dress code for the MDR but fortunately there are enough alternatives available these days that the dress code aspect of his cruise should should not cause him any diminution of his total enjoyment of his cruise.

Uilleann, if you are asked to put on the tie, then you'd be in full compliance with the dress code, so no worries. However, you might not have to put the tie on... will depend on who is minding the door that night in the MDR.

I can appreciate the fact that you like to take your jacket off while eating. I do the same if the dining room is warm. There is no reason why you should be uncomfortable while having dinner.

Hope you and your group really enjoy your cruise!