LIVE from the CORAL PRINCESS - March 26th to April 6th

Pia1913

Love your reports. In looking at your future cruises, it seems we will just miss again. We have missed twice in Singapore and now we will miss in Southhampton. Maybe some day we will get to meet you. We always look forward to your reports and are so glad that you are able to cruise again. r/j

Have been away for several days so I'm Janet-come-lately congratulating you on your milestone 75th cruise! It's nice to know that Princess appreciates you and has recognized your achievement accordingly. Sorry to hear that Mike is having a bit of a mobility challenge but am so happy that he's recuperated sufficiently from his accident to take this cruise.

I agree with your comment on Cartagena. You and I are FL girls and are used to heat and humidity, but it's always stifling in Cartagena.

Sounds like you're having a great cruise (as usual). Thanks so much for another terrific 'Live From'!

Yes there was a shuttle, and no, we didn’t take it. Too much hassle just to go into a terminal and look at all the c*** that we wouldn’t buy anyway. Spent the entire day up top reading, napping and having burger and fries for lunch.

We’ve just returned from the CC party so here are the stats:

Gold 716

Ruby 264

Platinum 258

Elite 70

No mention of number of Blues. 66% are return CC passengers.

Second place: 474 days

Third place : 435 days

Now it’s time to go to dinner and drink some of that awarded Veuve champagne. See you tomorrow.

P.S. Bill, you were correct. The Wake Show prize is a chance at the Vault machine. That is NO prize, so I will not even attempt to put in an entry.

Hi Pia,

Following you. Everyday. Tomorrow we leave for NY. Back next Tuesday.

Read what you said to Stan. He said that this week he is busy.

Continue having a great time. Regards to Mike.

Congratulations for the number one passenger on the ship.

Alice

Edited by mema4

You've mentioned that the gym has not been crowded. Can someone share what kind of equipment is in the gym? Is there any extra charge? Or classes to work off the food? We are getting on Saturday when you are getting off.

Pia, I know you said you didn't take the shuttle. However, where does it go? We have no plans in Cartagena and have been there many times.

So if there is a shuttle to town? or anywhere, would like to know.

Or like you, may not get off the ship.

Gloria

Pia, I know you said you didn't take the shuttle. However, where does it go? We have no plans in Cartagena and have been there many times.

So if there is a shuttle to town? or anywhere, would like to know.

Or like you, may not get off the ship.

Gloria

Not Pia, but last year the only shuttle from the ship in Cartegena took you the short trip to the entrance to the port. Since you have been there many times, you know that all that is there is a large souvenir shop with all of the typical items plus a fair selection of Colombian coffee and some nicer items. There is also a Juan Valdez coffee store, a small open air restaurant and a couple of dozen pink flamingos. Edited by IECalCruiser

Good Morning. It’s Panama Canal transit day. It’s already hot and about to get hotter. Temperature is expected to reach 90; with sun. We have done many canal transits (Florida to California and reverse), but only one partial such as this and that one was in 1991. I am therefore not well acquainted with the procedure. From what I understand, only those passengers booked on Princess shorex will tender ashore for their respective tours. This will not happen until noon or later and they will rejoin the ship when it docks in Colon around dinner time. No time frame is etched in gold because Canal transits are scheduled and controlled by the Panama Canal Authority. Having said all this, what I can tell you is that in the past we have visited the Embera Indian Village which is quite interesting to see this tribe still living in natural rainforest surroundings. We have also done the railway journey which goes to the Panama City station and you can then visit the Gatun Lakes Observation Center for a close view of the functioning of the locks. The trip back is by bus and I recall getting stuck on this bus for hours during a horrific rainstorm. Ship had to wait for us of course, but roads were treacherous. I understand that since then a new highway has been built. The ride back will still take 1 ½ hours in good weather.

Narration began at 6:30 and will continue throughout the day on decks 7, 14 and on TV station 41. Somewhere along the way we will peek out and take a look. Or two. First time we did a full transit, Mike stayed out there for a full 8 hours. He’s outgrown that.

Morning events are more or less nonexistent since mostly everyone will be out on deck viewing the transit. Afternoon more of the same, but the Hobbit is on MUTS. Evening brings us the Crooners pianist Daniel Oliver doing his own show in Universe, Last Vegas on MUTS and Michael Minor a ventriloquist in the theater.

Dinner tonight will be served on an open seating basis, since tours will be returning at all different hours. For us it doesn’t matter, though we did have a nice dinner in Bordeaux last night. Didn’t get out of there until 9:00 PM, way too late for us to do regularly.

Sometimes people ask about laundry promotions and today they are having the $20 “all you can fit” into one paper laundry bag.

Rescue Mom: I am used to having a crowded gym and sometimes waiting to use the equipment. This emptiness is quite unusual. Lots of treadmills, ellipticals, weights, etc. Same as you would expect. There are some paid classes, but since I don’t do them I can’t tell you much about them. Usually spin, yoga and pilates are what has an extra cost of $12/per. There are stretch classes scheduled each morning at 7, and I’ve yet to see one started. Amazing!

Gloria: what IE Cal said. Once you are in terminal you then need a taxi to take into town.

Nothing more to say now, so I'll get dressed and go to breakfast. Ciao.

Not Pia, but last year the only shuttle from the ship in Cartegena took you the short trip to the entrance to the port. Since you have been there many times, you know that all that is there is a large souvenir shop with all of the typical items plus a fair selection of Colombian coffee and some nicer items. There is also a Juan Valdez coffee store, a small open air restaurant and a couple of dozen pink flamingos.
We'll be stopping in Cartagena twice next Feb/March. Is the coffee they sell in good bean form, or is it ground-up stuff? Also, anybody know if there's a problem taking coffee beans into the UK? We're mot touching the USA, and there shouldn't be a problem bringing it home here if it's a commercially-packaged product.

Shalom, Andy.

Another lazy day of relaxation; eating and reading. Late arrival into Gatun; perhaps 45 minutes to an hour late. Offloading shorex began shortly afterwards and we are supposed to dock in Colon at 5:00 PM. I would think closer to 6. We would like to get off just to see whatever they are selling, but all depends how much time, if any, will be allowed..

Horizon Court A/C remains inadequate, as does early morning in the gym. Mike went to the gym for a little 10 minute workout, and at 11:00 it was decidedly cooler. Could be they are shutting it down completely overnight and when I go it hasn’t yet had a chance to cool down. Tonight’s HC buffet is advertised as “Panamanian Dinner.” ???

Andy: We have brought in coffee from Colombia and Costa Rica many times. Nobody cares. It's all packaged. As for on board coffee, I don't drink that sludge. It's the same old stuff. I drink Americanos or I use Via.

Bye all. Nothing to add at this time.

My brother has lived in Cartagena for several years, and I've visited him once plus called there on HAL with my brother meeting the ship. The cruise ship docks a fair distance away from the historic center (perhaps ten or fifteen minutes by taxi, depending). There is a mall that when I was there had a very nice Carrefour supermarket, but my brother mentioned it's now owned by a local group, perhaps five minutes by taxi from the port. Nothing is walkable from the port. There are usually several taxis outside the entrance.

Nothing is walkable from the port. There are usually several taxis outside the entrance.
On our last stop in Cartagena, my wife and I walked from the port to the fort and back. While waiting to cross the street, we were hassled by the taxi drivers who wouldn't accept no for an answer. As I recall, it took us about an hour each way. While we didn't have any trouble, I don't think I would do it again. I know my wife wouldn't. Edited by billco

Welcome to Limon, Costa Rica where we will be docked until 6:00 PM. Clocks went back an hour last night; wonderful extra hour of sleep. However, they are taking it back immediately; we lose an hour tonight. I love the gain; hate the loss. Costa Rica has always been one our favorites and we’ve spent lots of time here. Not only cruising, but once for two weeks and another time for three weeks. And if you add all the cruise stops, we’ve been here a lot. It’s in Costa Rica that I first zip lined and in the rainforest where we were awakened by howler monkeys. I’ve bought coffee here many times as well as Mike’s favorite beer; Imperial Gold. We currently have Imperial in our fridge at home, since we can buy it at Total Wine and More.

We did get off the ship last evening, somewhere around 5:30. Lots of shopping in Colon; the usual souvenir stuff, including crafts. It was very crowded because the tours were all returning and those who remained on the ship were getting off. All at the same time. Mike and I wandered thru two souvenir shops and then went into the supermarket. Our big purchase was 2 candy bars (for him) and vino blanco (one liter box) for me. When we got back on the ship there was a table set up stating “alcohol declaration”. They didn’t see my box and I didn’t tell them. In any event, the cheapo vino cost $3.10 so no problem had it been confiscated. Will let you know how tolerable it is when I get around to drinking it. Or tasting it. ;)

The Panamanian dinner I mentioned had nothing for me - consisted mostly of fishy stuff. Fried and otherwise. And yucky plantains. Not to worry. I never starve. We then went to see the Michael Minor show. He’s a singer who didn’t make it, so switched to comedy, impressions and ventriloquism. The best part of the show was a Moose doing Elvis and a Rat who was Louis Armstrong. :D

So what’s doing today? Well for us it will be a walk off to look around and perhaps take home some coffee. The ship is docked and shopping is right outside ;down the road a bit. Nothing happening on board in the morning, but afternoon will have the Meryl Streep/Julia Roberts movie August: Osage County shown in the theater. We are planning to see it. And then this evening, MUTS is showing Captain Phillips and we want to see that one too. Looks like a movie day for us.

Also tonight is the production show On the Bayou which we have seen three times so it’s OK to miss it this time. For those of you who have never seen it, I highly recommend it. Also, try to sit up front so as not to mix some of the finite scenery/props. Since this show is held in Universe Lounge, the Princess theater will show the movie “Rush.”

Inasmuch as there are no comments or questions, I'll check in with you later. Bye.

so as not to mix some of the finite scenery/props. ???

I think your spell check was making some edits in your text?:D Hey- at least you know I'm reading and hanging on your every word!

Edited by DonahCBrown

So we went out into the “godawful heat and humidity to check out the merchandise. Port of Limon is not as good as Puntarenas, where there is “everything you never wanted” and also supermarkets, pharmacies and other stores. This port has less of what you don’t need, sans the stores. Shopping is sort of a small hike for those who can’t walk too well, but, we made it. And Mike’s wheelie has a seat; just in case. Bought nothing. Not even coffee.

Lunch for us was pizza and then we went to see Osage County. We love Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts and in our eyes they can do no wrong. What a dysfunctional family this is, but we sort of liked it.

BTW, I forgot to mention that every day there is an Alfredo’s restaurant in Sabatini’s between 11:30 and 2:00. This is like the Grand Princess Alfredo’s only; nothing like the Royal. Pizza only. And drinks of course if you want to purchase them. We haven’t gone yet and probably won’t, but our friends did and enjoyed it.

Just started wine time; yes, a little early. Too bad the cheapie wine is in Cartagena and we are not. Had I known how good it would be I would have stocked up. Tastes like a Pinot Grigio which is always my second choice anyway. I you want some of this it’s called Clos de Pirque - vino blanco. But you’ll have to sneak it by the collection guy. Today there was also a table set up just as you went thru security stating “alcohol collection.”

Marsha: I don't do that

Donna: Hi! :D You bet that sentence got screwed up.

See y'all tomorrow.

Edited by Pia1913