Packing Just a Carry On Bag for Alaska?

sjmbruce

I'm working on my packing list....

I'm flying into Vancouver a day early, 7 day northbound cruise, a full day in anchorage before flying home....

Can I get away with just a carry on bag?

You do need a light weight jacket and a sweatshirt or similar. But sure it's doable, with frequent laundry.

I travel with one suitcase for 2 people, and always rely on using laundry services etc to cut down on bulk. Just home from a 5 week trip. :)

I'm working on my packing list....

I'm flying into Vancouver a day early, 7 day northbound cruise, a full day in anchorage before flying home....

Can I get away with just a carry on bag?

OMG just a carry on bag! Oh no! Not Me! I could never go with just a carry on. But then I seem to want to take everything with me. But for that many days I know I would need more changes. Now if you are going on a ship with a self Laundry maybe you could get by with it. And if you do not plan to dress up a bit for the formal nights then maybe. But me I love the formal nights and I also love to pick stuff up here and there to take back home. Then who knows what weather you might have. I plan to check the extended forecast before I go so I have an idea but that might not always be correct. So I need warm clothes plus so Sprngee clothes too.

Last time we went on a 6 day tour and then the 7 day cruise. And I packed a large suitcase for the tour and then sent a med size one to the ship while on the tour. I also had a backbag packed to go on the bus with me (meds and water proof jacket in case of rain)

I mostly wore my sneakers but I also wanted my dress shoes for the formal nights and also a comfortable slip on shoe to give my feet another choice for comfort. So that alone takes up lots of room.

Maybe you can plan exactly what you want to wear for each day and also do laundry somewhere but for me just a carry on would definely not work for me. ( I even put a few of my jeans in my husband suitcase because I was afraid my bag would weigh over the 50 lb limit. lol) But then again I do tend to overpack

Could someone please share their light packing secrets here so I can advise my wife... PLEASE!

My aching back thanks you in advance.

:confused::confused::confused:

Sorry Fishin' I can not give your wife any secrets to light packing and btw I also have one of those husband with an aching back. But because I hate to hear him complain or hurt his back I usually do my share of pulling the packs out of the car. But hey once they are on their wheels I am good to handle them. And I was also grateful on our cruise/tour that they take care to send one bag to the ship and the other bag they deliver to your room at the lodges at the door. Then in the morning they go out the door for them to pick them up and again deliver them to the next lodge for you. Hope this helps.

We really can not help it. We like to look good and a huge decision is what we will want to wear from day to day. It is all part of enjoying the cruise/tour. lol

I am also doing an Alaskan cruise in June with three days before in Vancouver and 1 day before in Seattle. Even without these extra days, I know I cannot do just a carry on. I would rather have too many clothes (and for Alaska) you need heavier weight clothes. If you are sailing on NCL, they do not have self service laundry facilities. Kudos to you though if you think you can do with just a carry on.

I think you can do it! We are going to try. I don't have my packing list, but can post it later. I haven't tested it to see if it will fit in my carry-on, but I also plan to bring a normal size (not camping) backpack.

A carry on is probably 21 to 24". Three of us did a 2 week RV trip; we each had a carry on and I added a daypack to store everyone's cameras, ponchos, binoculars, travel book, gloves, hats, wallets.

We each packed several tshirts, a hoody, sweater, a fleece pullover, hooded jacket, 1 khakis, 1 jeans, 1 pr sneakers, lined nylon jogging pants, flannel PJs, 1 capri, 1 shorts. My mother is 80 and from Phoenix so she also took long underwear. I think that was about it.

We did laundry once during the trip.

"Kudos" to those that can...I'm not one of you and never will be.

I actually don't care for those that drag their over-stuffed carryons and cram them into the luggage bins above my head, moving my small bag out of their way....Sorry for the rant but this is happening more and more lately. :(

We've done many 7-10 day trips with backpacks. It's actually easier these days, with microfiber clothing that is very light and dries very quickly after rinsing. Ex officio underwear is great - we take 3 pairs but could get by with 2. Sweater/hoodie and rain jacket can be worn or carried on board separate from your carryon. Microfiber long underwear can go under your regular pants for any colder days.

We are aiming to do our upcoming 2-week DIY to Alaska with just our backpacks.

Carrying on has saved me more times than I can mention, including last week (Caribbean cruise) when flight delays and rebookings would have meant a checked bag would NOT have made it to the boat (yes, I normally go a day early, but there were things going on that meant I couldn't this time).

Skipping formal nights I could probably get by but it would be tight. I'd suggest you wear your heaviest layers on the flights, your sweatshirt and jacket, to save space. One thing I always bring is an extra pair of shoes in case you get soaked on an excursion/port day but they take up a lot of space. My biggest worry would be lots of rain and not having enough clothes to give the wet ones time to dry.

Here's what we intend to bring (like I said in one 22" carry on and a school-type backpack). We are also doing a 3-day DIY tour to Denali afterwards.

fleece hat; gloves; underwear; 1 pr shorts; 1 long-sleeve t-shirt; 3 short-sleeve t-shirts; socks; wool socks; pajamas; long-sleeve button down shirt; 1 pair jeans; 1 pair dark khahis; 1 pair of casual but nice shoes; 1 pair flip flops; fleece jacket; long underwear (for me only, DH doesn't get as cold); rain jacket w/hood; easy care dress. We will also wear our heaviest/bulkiest items such as sport jacket, light hiking boots, camera, etc. Non-clothes items will include only basic toiletries as we can use whatever is onboard, Bonine, sunscreen, binoculars, travel mug, and other small items.

If anyone else has done this and has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Edited by theloo

I would also like to take one carry on... I got this on ace1zoe2's Cruise Critic review of her 16-day trip to Alaska. Also she suggested to watch this video at: http://www.packinglight.net/travel_info_depot.aspx

Originally Posted by ace1zoe2

This is what fit in my hubby's bag:

1 dress pant

1 tactical pants

1 technical pants

1 zip-off convertible technical pants

4 long sleeve button up technical shirts

2 short sleeve button up technical shirts

2 light weight polo shirts

2 exofficio t-shirts

4 exofficio underwear

1 set cuddle duds long underwear pant/shirt

1 long sleeve mock turtle neck

2 long sleeve dress shirts

1 black tie

1 bathing suit

1 pair flip flops

1 toboggan

1 pair gloves

2 pair wool socks

2 pair regular socks

1 pair dress socks

Rick Steve's day pack - folded & put in outside pocket

Quart size back in outside pocket with liquids for airport security check

My bag contains the following:

2 dress pant

2 technical pants

capri pant

2 dresses

bolero jacket

4 dressy shirts

4 long sleeve shirts

2 short sleeve shirt

thermasilk long under wear & shirt

6 underwear

2 bras

2 wool socks

2 regular socks

swim suit

cover up

flip flops

dress shoes

toiletries bag with all the contents listed above

quart size pull out liquids back for airport security

Rick Steve's daypack, folded and put in an outside pocket

Hubby's backpack contents:

Both of our 3-in-1 jackets folded & placed in the bottom half

Binoculars

Hubby's dress shoes

Reusable Nalgene water bottle in outside pocket

My back is a LowePro Camera bag which contains the following:

Canon 7d body

Canon 28-135 kit lens

Canon 70-300 IS Zoom lens

Canon battery grip

Canon speedlite flash

Olympus Tough Waterproof Point & Shoot Camera

Extra batteries for both cameras

Extra Compact flash cards 16gig, 2 8gig, 4 gig & 2gig

Chargers for both Cameras

Iphone & Ipad chargers

Earbuds

In the outside pocket is my travel wallet that contains our passports, credit cards, insurance and donor cards, some cash and my driver's license. Hubby's iPad mini will fit in his backpack.

We will each wear our Merrell Hiking shoes on the plane. I still think we are taking more clothes than we need... we could always take less and if we need something buy tshirts or sweatshirts when we get there. Also we will have a rental car the first day so if we really need anything or thought we couldn't do without a certain type of shampoo or other liquid or hairspray we would just stop at Walmart or a local store and buy it. But I think my travel sized hairspray will be plenty for me.

Hopefully this will help you see how it can be done... just think you won't have to wait on your luggage at the airport, or on the ship when you get to your room, or on the morning that you debark the ship or at the airport again when you get home.

Edited by karrie020852

Can someone please post a picture or link to what "tactical" or "technical" pants are?

Also, what are "exofficio" shirts and underwear? Is this a brand name?

Also, to Karrie 020852 - Did you really get all of that in a carry on bag? Hard to imagine that all those items fit into a carry on. Or is that what you pack and you wish you could get it in a carry on?

I think I pack way too many toiletries. Always the "in case I need it stuff". Always have a medicine bag of stuff.

Seems like I have gotten sick on way too many trips lately.

Just back from a week on the "Silhouettte" and got sick on the ship with upper respiratory stuff that turned in to bad bronchitis, horrendous cough and 2 ear infections. Next time, I go I will try to get my doctor to give me the same medication to take with me on the trip that he gave me when I got back. It has now been 3 weeks since I got sick and now are just getting well. It was nasty. I had taken decongestant with me and tylenol but that wasn't enough.

I was proud of me last time that I went from 2 suitcases and a carryon down to one suitcase and a carryon. That was a big improvement for me.

After going to Alaska 5 times already in the past, you definitely need more room for the bulky items even carrying your jacket on the plane. It is very cold standing out on the deck watching the glaciers so you really need a warm fleece underneath the waterproof, hooded parka. We have also found low cut waterproof hikers very helpful. Were great when it poured in Ketchikan and also just keep your feet warmer when it is cooler.

I have watched those Rick Steve's videos and am amazed. I see none of them take hardly any toiletries though.

Well, I will keep working on it. Thanks for the tips. After cruising so much, you would think I would have it down better than I do, but I just keep juggling all the luggage.

Thanks.

Edited by poolwife

Shoes are my biggest problem! We are doing a 5 day Alaska tour, 7 day cruise and then 2 days post in Vancouver. My issue is shoes!! I'm taking sneakers, hiking shoes, clarks mules, sandal, dress shoe. I cannot imagine 2 weeks with less shoes than this.

I would also like to take one carry on... I got this on ace1zoe2's Cruise Critic review of her 16-day trip to Alaska. Also she suggested to watch this video at: http://www.packinglight.net/travel_info_depot.aspx

Originally Posted by ace1zoe2

This is what fit in my hubby's bag:

1 dress pant

1 tactical pants

1 technical pants

1 zip-off convertible technical pants

4 long sleeve button up technical shirts

2 short sleeve button up technical shirts

2 light weight polo shirts

2 exofficio t-shirts

4 exofficio underwear

1 set cuddle duds long underwear pant/shirt

1 long sleeve mock turtle neck

2 long sleeve dress shirts

1 black tie

1 bathing suit

1 pair flip flops

1 toboggan

1 pair gloves

2 pair wool socks

2 pair regular socks

1 pair dress socks

Rick Steve's day pack - folded & put in outside pocket

Quart size back in outside pocket with liquids for airport security check

My bag contains the following:

2 dress pant

2 technical pants

capri pant

2 dresses

bolero jacket

4 dressy shirts

4 long sleeve shirts

2 short sleeve shirt

thermasilk long under wear & shirt

6 underwear

2 bras

2 wool socks

2 regular socks

swim suit

cover up

flip flops

dress shoes

toiletries bag with all the contents listed above

quart size pull out liquids back for airport security

Rick Steve's daypack, folded and put in an outside pocket

Hubby's backpack contents:

Both of our 3-in-1 jackets folded & placed in the bottom half

Binoculars

Hubby's dress shoes

Reusable Nalgene water bottle in outside pocket

My back is a LowePro Camera bag which contains the following:

Canon 7d body

Canon 28-135 kit lens

Canon 70-300 IS Zoom lens

Canon battery grip

Canon speedlite flash

Olympus Tough Waterproof Point & Shoot Camera

Extra batteries for both cameras

Extra Compact flash cards 16gig, 2 8gig, 4 gig & 2gig

Chargers for both Cameras

Iphone & Ipad chargers

Earbuds

In the outside pocket is my travel wallet that contains our passports, credit cards, insurance and donor cards, some cash and my driver's license. Hubby's iPad mini will fit in his backpack.

We will each wear our Merrell Hiking shoes on the plane. I still think we are taking more clothes than we need... we could always take less and if we need something buy tshirts or sweatshirts when we get there. Also we will have a rental car the first day so if we really need anything or thought we couldn't do without a certain type of shampoo or other liquid or hairspray we would just stop at Walmart or a local store and buy it. But I think my travel sized hairspray will be plenty for me.

Hopefully this will help you see how it can be done... just think you won't have to wait on your luggage at the airport, or on the ship when you get to your room, or on the morning that you debark the ship or at the airport again when you get home.

Ok, I only have one question....toboggan? Really? Maybe it's not what I'm picturing, because in this neck of the north woods, a toboggan is along wooden sled. Please explain what YOUR toboggan is?

"Kudos" to those that can...I'm not one of you and never will be.

I actually don't care for those that drag their over-stuffed carryons and cram them into the luggage bins above my head, moving my small bag out of their way....Sorry for the rant but this is happening more and more lately. :(

I have to agree with you on the "carry on" luggage. Since the airlines started charging for checked bags it's gotten completely out of control, and dangerous!!

I think Theloo may have missed the Qs about these once the thread rolled over a page...

'ExOfficio' is indeed a brand-name of undies, among other travel clothing.

'Tactical' clothing generally means military type (think cargo pants, but with reinforcement on knees, double-taped seams etc.).

'Technical' clothing is the stuff modern running shorts are made of - lets out the moisture from perspiration.

'Toboggan' - given the context beside gloves I'm guessing an autocorrect error from 'Toque' (which is a very Canadian term for a simple, brimless knit hat; you may know it as a watchcap or beanie depending on where you're from). Could actually be a really small sled though - we used to use empty plastic fertilizer bags from the local farm and those things outperformed even really fancy sleds the rich kids used!

As to the packing list Theloo - your hubby has too many pants packed. Ditch the non-zip off technicals and use the room to stick a toque & gloves in for you so you can maximize time on-deck even if the weather is uncooperative.

As to the packing list Theloo - your hubby has too many pants packed. Ditch the non-zip off technicals and use the room to stick a toque & gloves in for you so you can maximize time on-deck even if the weather is uncooperative.

I am neither the OP nor the person whose list included the technical & ExOfficio pants, but I have been posting here because I am also interested in packing light.

I did invite comments on my list, but I'm not sure you were responding to my list because I only plan to pack TWO pair of pants in addition to the pair we wear on board. Since we wont be doing any vigorous exercise during the cruise portion, we plan to re-wear pants ;) and do laundry once towards the end of the cruise.

I now think that rather than space, my problem may be weight. My carry-ons will have a weight limit of 10 kg or 22 lbs.