Formal Nights, Long Dresses?

Iwilder

I did a search but all the responses were several years ago, at that time many ladies were still wearing long gowns. But what is everyone wearing in 2014? I would love to wear a long gown but I don't want to be the Lone Stranger. Please ladies tell me what you wore and what you saw on your latest cruise.

I have one long gown that I bring on every cruise; I wear that the first formal night. My other formals are tea length, generally bringing no more than four in total. Once I've worn them all, I start the rotation over again.

Many wear long dresses/skirts, as Cruz Chic said. Last fall I bought a new pale grey mid-length skirt at the Galleria in Fort Lauderdale, and I wore it on our last cruise with different tops or black pants with sparkly tops, too. I have moved away from really long skirts, as I'm afraid they'll trip me up, and I have taken to breaking bones - don't want to do that. I think I will take one of my long skirts or dresses on the next one, though, and just hope for the best!

While this is my first HAL cruise I plan on bringing two cocktail style dresses with us. On is a full taffeta skirt that is tea length and the other is a slimmer style. I used to love wearing full length but with mobility issues and a scooter it seems more logical to wear something I won't trip over and can get into my scooter with if needed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I will be sailing in April, on a 16-night itinerary with 3 formal nights, and I plan on bringing one long gown (a lacy sheath), and one knee length black dress. I can't wait to wear my long gown, but even if I am the only one I won't mind!

We had 6 formal nights on our last cruise. I had a long gown that I wore for 3 of them. Different accessories, same dress. The other nights I wore a cocktail dress and long dress slacks with a fancy top.

I love my long gown. I try to bring it on as many cruises as I can.

I really like short skirts with very fancy "suit" jackets. Example: Black skirts with a gold and black patterned lightweight jacket with a few rhinestones up the front zipper; blue patterned Thai silk jacket . Can wear a shell underneath either if the ship/DR is cool.

These fancy jackets go well with crepe pants, too or tea-length slim skirts.

I see lots of long dresses on formal nights, as well as dressy pants with sparkly tops, tea length dresses, long skirts, you name it. I don't see as many of what I would identify as gowns, rather than just long dresses, but then again I'm not sure I can put into words what I consider to be the difference.

Wear your long gown/dress and you will not feel overdressed. I tend to wear long dresses for formal nights, less formal wear for the Pinnacle Grill, and slacks and a nice top for the rest of the evenings.

I'm so glad to see people dressing up! I have 12# to lose in 99 days to be decent in my dress and chiffon skirt

Or go shopping

At the very least I'll be wearing a little black dress with either a grey silk beaded shawl or a "fancy" jacket

I have seen some ladies weraing long gowns on formal night as of our most recent cruise this past January. The majority do wear cocktail, knee length dresses or dressy black slacks/long black skirts with dressy tops.

I take 1 pair dressy black slacks and different dressy tops to go with them. Most of us don't get the chance to dress formal, except on a cruise or special fund raisers or formal weddings. Dress the way you want in your long gown and you will be just fine! Have a great time!

Diane

I will be sailing in April, on a 16-night itinerary with 3 formal nights, and I plan on bringing one long gown (a lacy sheath), and one knee length black dress. I can't wait to wear my long gown, but even if I am the only one I won't mind!

Only 3 formal nights? Did HAL stop the "2 formals nights per week" thing? I was expecting 4 formal nights for our 14 day Alaska cruise.

I plan to wear long evening dresses.

I wear long dresses on formal nights. If the sea is really rough I can then give up the heels I'd prefer to wear and wear small heels or wedgies of some sort but I don't like that look with a shorter dress where the shoes would really show. I'd rather wear the heels too, but even more, I'd like to stay on my feet.

Only 3 formal nights? Did HAL stop the "2 formals nights per week" thing? I was expecting 4 formal nights for our 14 day Alaska cruise.

Maybe it is because they combined a 9-day with a 7-day to make the 16-day? Not sure, but I was a little disappointed also as I seek any and all opportunities to glam it up for my hubby!

There is only 3 formals on my upcoming 14 day cruise. Maybe they are tired of people that complain about them or whine because they have to dress up.