Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

The Guy Harvey render seems to be dated March 6 2014 in the filename.

Interesting to see the lack of small picture windows on deck 5 where the large new public space will be. Getaway has a lot more of them, near and above the flying pelicans on the hull.

And is that a Breakaway bended rooftop on top of the Haven deck instead of a Getaway windjammer-wall thingy as in the previous render?

Edited by FreestyleNovice

....The space, accessible by keycard, will have an outdoor terrace with its private restaurant

From the description in the first post, I kinda of assumed that there was now an official outdoor eating area added to the Haven. Can't wait to explore! Anyone who's done one of these inaugural TAs, do they have any kind of organized or official ship tour/cabin crawl? Anything to show off the new spaces and cabin layouts?

From the description in the first post, I kinda of assumed that there was now an official outdoor eating area added to the Haven. Can't wait to explore! Anyone who's done one of these inaugural TAs, do they have any kind of organized or official ship tour/cabin crawl? Anything to show off the new spaces and cabin layouts?

On the Getaway they had a selection of cabins open for all to view on the pre Transatlantic cruises. I assumed they were also open for the Transatlantic itself, but don't know for sure.

The Haven was also open. I assume people were booked into the Haven for the Transatlantic, so don't know how that worked, but perhaps they closed that bit off.

As far as I was aware, nothing was open for viewing on the Breakaway, but I didn't really look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

On the Getaway they had a selection of cabins open for all to view on the pre Transatlantic cruises. I assumed they were also open for the Transatlantic itself, but don't know for sure.

The Haven was also open. I assume people were booked into the Haven for the Transatlantic, so don't know how that worked, but perhaps they closed that bit off.

As far as I was aware, nothing was open for viewing on the Breakaway, but I didn't really look.

Breakaway had the same, a selection of cabins open, with the balloon on the roomdoor and inside the room a nice flower arrangement for the photo ops. ;)

The cabins open on the Getaway pre transatlantic were not open on the crossing.

Edited by time2cruise1

Breakaway had the same, a selection of cabins open, with the balloon on the roomdoor and inside the room a nice flower arrangement for the photo ops. ;)

On the TA?

I really spent too much time in o'Sheehans didn't I. :)

On the TA?

I really spent too much time in o'Sheehans didn't I. :)

The cabins weren't open on the Breakaway TA, so it wasn't too much time spent in O'Sheehans (as if there could be such a thing!). As others have mentioned, both the Breakaway and Getaway had the cabins open with flowers and balloons on the overnights before the TA but not on the TA itself.

Cruise Critic members did organise cabin crawls on both of those transatlantics though. The Haven cabins I saw on the cabin crawl were much more impressive than the one they had open on the pre-TA journeys!

Very disappointed to see that VERY few of the ADA cabins hold more than two people. None in the middle classes of cabins just as on the Getaway. A shortcoming I was hoping they would fix. Only inside and haven have room for 3+ in an ADA cabin. Sad.

Interesting to see the lack of small picture windows on deck 5 where the large new public space will be. Getaway has a lot more of them, near and above the flying pelicans on the hull.

And is that a Breakaway bended rooftop on top of the Haven deck instead of a Getaway windjammer-wall thingy as in the previous render?

What's even more interesting is that the earlier Meyer Werft render showed the same window configuration as Getaway, which seems to imply that this newer render is probably closer to the final version. The cutoff for the windows on deck 5 corresponds nicely with where the ocean view cabins are. The 5 windows further aft (directly beneath the "Norwegian Escape" lighted sign and above the hull-art whale shark) appear directly forward of the aft elevator bank. A possible entry/reception area for the non-windowed, yet-unknown public space?

The Haven courtyard render confirms the return of the retractable dome. This seems to imply that NCL might be planning to deploy Bliss, or Escape once their agreement with the Port of Miami expires, to colder climates.

The Haven courtyard render confirms the return of the retractable dome. This seems to imply that NCL might be planning to deploy Bliss, or Escape once their agreement with the Port of Miami expires, to colder climates.

The fact is NCL realized too late that no roof on the Getaway was a mistake. Miami is warm but it also rains almost every afternoon in the summer as well as in the islands.

By the time they tried to add it the cost to do it more then doubled.

I for one if booking the Haven in the summer would choose the Escape over the Getaway.

I just got off Getaway last week, and it was perfectly fine without a dome. I spent every afternoon sunning in the Haven and soaking in the pool/hot tubs. I've done the same on Breakaway several times, and I really do prefer having an open courtyard area in Miami and the Caribbean. I disagree that the lack of a dome was a mistake. The dome on Breakaway, even when open, still leaves the forward area covered and completely changes the feel of the space. I much prefer having it completely open with greater exposure to the sun and fresh sea air. I'm sailing again on Getaway in the Haven this summer, so I guess I'll see if it's an issue, but I doubt it.

The fact is NCL realized too late that no roof on the Getaway was a mistake. Miami is warm but it also rains almost every afternoon in the summer as well as in the islands.

By the time they tried to add it the cost to do it more then doubled.

I for one if booking the Haven in the summer would choose the Escape over the Getaway.

I agree. I'm just glad that they did realize it and brought back the ability to close the roof on the Escape.

I don’t think most people fully appreciate how much sunlight is lost due to having the retractable dome. As necessary as the dome is for colder climates, it is a detriment to ships based year-round in warm climates.

The individual glass panels that comprise the dome are heavily tinted. They nearly appear black from a distance.

DSC_03171_zps88ebd636.jpg

With the dome slid forward into the open position, it's clear just how much sunlight the tinted glass blocks. The difference between unobstructed sunlight and the dome is significant.

DSC_4834_zpsce79a4c6.jpg

Since the dome slides forward, the hot tub and pool area is covered by two separate layers of this heavily tinted glass. The reduction of sunlight is so strong that it might as well be a completely indoor pool.

DSC_4835_zps8a3f956b.jpg

Just my 2 cents

I also don't think NCL made a mistake with no dome on Getaway. Getaway is a Miami ship and is catered to Miami with a Miami theme. The ship will be staying in Miami for a long time. With a dome on Escape, it gives NCL flexibility to move the ship to colder climates someday. I bet Getaway stays in Miami longer than Escape. Look at Epic, the first advertisements claimed she would sail from Miami year round. Only 4 years later she is leaving for Europe.

While the dome does reduce the sunlight that gets into the courtyard area itself - there is a large outdoor sundeck just for Haven that can be taken advantage of for full sun. But, for someone like me, that need 70 sunblock to keep from spontaneously combusting, more areas that are shady are a benefit. lol

Just my 2 cents

I also don't think NCL made a mistake with no dome on Getaway. Getaway is a Miami ship and is catered to Miami with a Miami theme. The ship will be staying in Miami for a long time. With a dome on Escape, it gives NCL flexibility to move the ship to colder climates someday. I bet Getaway stays in Miami longer than Escape. Look at Epic, the first advertisements claimed she would sail from Miami year round. Only 4 years later she is leaving for Europe.

I can’t imagine a 90F Miami day with the ship in port and the sun directly overhead that the courtyard temperature doesn’t soar to 110-120F; then there are the thunderstorms! If I’m paying for the Haven, I most certainly want the courtyard to be usable.

I remember one trip on the Gem where they had the roof open. The HD commented that it was the first time in a month that they had retracted the roof. It had always been too hot/humid, wet or windy.

I can’t imagine a 90F Miami day with the ship in port and the sun directly overhead that the courtyard temperature doesn’t soar to 110-120F; then there are the thunderstorms! If I’m paying for the Haven, I most certainly want the courtyard to be usable.

I remember one trip on the Gem where they had the roof open. The HD commented that it was the first time in a month that they had retracted the roof. It had always been too hot/humid, wet or windy.

LOL

The ship is only in Miami for a few hours. There has never been any complaints about the Epic's Haven open roof. And the Epic has been sailing Miami for 4 years!!!!

I'm sorry but that logic does not make any sense. Should the ship cover the entire pool deck? Should Posh on Epic have a roof? Should Spice also have a roof? Who wants to sun in an enclosed solarium. If you do, you should not be sailing the Caribbean.

Edited by david_sobe

Does anyone have any idea or know when we will hear more about the Escape build? Every step is exciting to me. :)

Thanks!

They've started the steel cutting on March 20th, building blocks after that, my guess is that it will be sharing the hall with Royal's 2nd Quantum class, Anthem of the Seas (spring 2015) at the shipyard when Escape is getting shape?

Steelcutting_Norwegian_Escape__MG_9296_W716.jpg

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/medien/presseticker/pressemitteilung_detail_15744.jsp