Tip your bar servers!!!!!!!

No I don't reward, I give the customary expected tip. So I just don't punish. If you want to punish go ahead.

So in any other occupation, if you are paid by the hour or salaried (not tipped) you don't get your wages cut if you have a bad moment or day in your job do you?

This is a poor comparison, as servers (and those in like occupations like bar tenders) expect their wage to fluctuate depending on customers level of happiness with the service provided. A constant level of income is not expected and customer satisfaction is an agreed variant.

This is a different paradigm to salaried workers.

I am paid a yearly amount (this is the most common system in Australia) and yes it can go down if I fail to perform. I could be demoted to a lower pay grade, or in very serious cases i can be put on leave without pay if my conduct needs to be investigated. These are the agreed variants.

I have no intention of getting into this ridiculous, and never ending, debate but why don't you stop posting incorrect information. All one has to do is go to guest services and tell them that you will take care of your own tips by cash as was done in the past. That is it. Its done. So stop posting about mandatory tipping, RCI telling you what you are going to do, or having to say you had bad service every day by each employee.

this does go around and around. thank you for your post. :):)

I'll catch up on the whole thread tomorrow when I am back in the U.S., but.....

I ordered and received a can of soda during "happy hour" and was not charged for it, in the Schooner Bar.

I ordered and received a lemon drop (which is a kind of martini, for those who aren't familiar with it) during "happy hour" and was not charged for it, in the Schooner Bar.

Perhaps because they know that I tip......

;)

I have no intention of getting into this ridiculous, and never ending, debate but why don't you stop posting incorrect information. All one has to do is go to guest services and tell them that you will take care of your own tips by cash as was done in the past. That is it. Its done. So stop posting about mandatory tipping, RCI telling you what you are going to do, or having to say you had bad service every day by each employee.

And when was the last time you did this? Have you done this since the mandatory gratuities policy has been in place?

And do you make sure your main dining room staff assigned to your table know you won't be eating there and they won't be receiving a tip from you? Because if

you don't choose MTD you have a table assigned to you in the MDR unless you let them know once on board. And even then, those seats will most likely remain empty. So those unfortunate waiters have empty seats for those tables and if you don't tip them then they are out the money.

That is the way the system is set up on Royal Caribbean. I know you and others advocate tipping only those you choose to and not adhering to the system.

Eating in the windjammer all the time is fine and it is great to tip those that assist you in the WJ, but the system is set up the way it is for a reason. That is why MTD requires prepaid tips. We choose MTD and then rarely eat in the MDR. We have prepaid our tips so the servers are covered the way the system is set up to cover them. And then in the Specialty restaurants we pay the service charge and

tip extra.

You are saying I could go to guest services and have my tips removed and say I will pay in cash. And then not tip the MDR servers because I did not eat in there? Why would I do that? Those servers work hard for their money and just because I make other choices on board doesn't mean they should loose a portion of their livelihood. If the system were set up differently fine, but it is not.

With regard to the topic originally started on this thread, do we Diamonds and above know if when using one of the complimentary drinks whether or not the waiter receives a tip automatically per drink or doesn't receive one at all?

In our case, we don't use the coupons as we purchase the drink package and our tips are paid through the package and then we tip extra to those who give us extra special service during the week and there are usually several who do just that.

I ordered and received a can of soda during "happy hour" and was not charged for it, in the Schooner Bar.

I ordered and received a lemon drop (which is a kind of martini, for those who aren't familiar with it) during "happy hour" and was not charged for it, in the Schooner Bar.

;)

Our Diamond friends ordered the high end drinks and they were covered in the Pub the first night. Their server did not know whether they would tip extra or not.

This is a poor comparison, as servers (and those in like occupations like bar tenders) expect their wage to fluctuate depending on customers level of happiness with the service provided. A constant level of income is not expected and customer satisfaction is an agreed variant.

This is a different paradigm to salaried workers.

I am paid a yearly amount (this is the most common system in Australia) and yes it can go down if I fail to perform. I could be demoted to a lower pay grade, or in very serious cases i can be put on leave without pay if my conduct needs to be investigated. These are the agreed variants.

Actually it is a rather good comparison. When you are being served it is not always the servers fault if the service is sub par or bad. Sometimes it is the kitchen, sometimes the server has too many tables because they are short on

staff and maybe in that particular moment the server is having a bad time for some other reason.

If a server is usually sub par or bad then yes of course they will eventually be demoted or let go. Just as you say you would be. But you wouldn't immediately lose pay and a non-tipped server would immediately lose pay. And I do not think a server takes a job with the expectation that customers won't tip.

I guess I am getting a lesson in how others treat servers. And I will go back to the Karma thing. What goes around comes around. I would rather error on the side of being generous to someone than error on the side of not being generous.

For a standard bar tip, $1 per drink per round. Maybe extra if the bartender is really attentive or there are a lot of specialty drinks involved. I really wouldn't calculate 15% exactly.

As for getting off topic, there is a certain segment that wants to argue against tipping in general. Why do I have to do it, I don't do it at home. Why can't they be paid a 'fair wage'. I don't take pride in playing Lord Bountiful. I have paid for my cruise, why should I tip. and on and on and on. I have been reading CC for years and years. This discussion will never go away.

Good point. I haven't been here as long as you and don't regularly post. I also don't read all the tipping threads. What I have learned is that it seems to be people from the UK and some Americans who because they don't eat in the MDR think they are entitled to make up their own tipping rules.

Oh well, until they come up with a different tipping system at Royal Caribbean I will follow the current system. It is there for a reason.

Dear Diamond & up Crown & Anchor members:

More and more ships are putting three drink "vouchers" on your SeaPass card. You can still go to the CL or DL if you are eligible. The vouchers are good between 5 & 8:30 P.M. This has only benefits; there is no downside.

I am currently on the Explorer of the Seas, where there is no DL. Diamonds can get three drinks now, not just wine & soda. Same kind of standard drinks as in DL and CL.

BUT

BUT

BUT

PLEASE tip your bar waiters!!!!

Out there at random bars around the ship, they get NOTHING except what you give them.

PLEASE give them a gratuity!!!!!

We tip in the DL too.

Can you clarify about not getting wine or soda?

Can you clarify about not getting wine or soda?

She meant not "only" wine and soda. Mixed drinks are included in this voucher deal.

This thread is getting to be a few pages long now and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but it seems this is only a test thing right now and not meant as permanent just yet. Another member e-mailed RCI and received the response that it is only being tested on a few ships on a few select sailings. OP Merion_Mom's cruise here was one of them.

Here is the link to this info, included in the thread "New Diamond Event policy" :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42310082&postcount=42

Edited by Langley Cruisers

So I was right to be skeptical, but I'm not surprised that they are making less money. Pity.

On Celebrity we book the drink package but always ask the bartender to print a blank receipt when they scan the card so that we can add an extra gratuity or we tip extra in cash. You can tell that they really appreciate the gesture.

When we were cruising on RCI we always tipped the servers working in the CL.

Edited by cruisingator2

On Celebrity we book the drink package but always ask the bartender to print a blank receipt when they scan the card so that we can add an extra gratuity or we tip extra in cash. You can tell that they really appreciate the gesture.

This sounds like an easy way to tip. Hope we can do it on RCI.

And I do not think a server takes a job with the expectation that customers won't tip.

No, but they do (or should) take it with the expectation that customers will tip less for sub par service.

You said that you would still leave the customary tip, which I took to mean 15 to 18%. Is that not what you meant?

For good service I tip upwards of 20%. On thanksgiving I tipped 50% as I appreciate severs who give up their own holidays so that I can have breakfast on my travels. But for bad service I only tip 10%.

;)

Hi

don't want to go off topic either but we are on explorer next week and was just wondering about how the system works with the 3 drinks credits. If say you order a drink in a bar do you tell the bar tender to take it off your quota or does he do it automatically.

I guess there is information provided about this in your cabin?? That is if they are going to do this on our cruise.

Hope you had a fab time. Can't wait to board next week :) oh and we will make sure we tip!!!

;)

see you on the IOS.

And when was the last time you did this? Have you done this since the mandatory gratuities policy has been in place?

And do you make sure your main dining room staff assigned to your table know you won't be eating there and they won't be receiving a tip from you? Because if

you don't choose MTD you have a table assigned to you in the MDR unless you let them know once on board. And even then, those seats will most likely remain empty. So those unfortunate waiters have empty seats for those tables and if you don't tip them then they are out the money.That is the way the system is set up on Royal Caribbean. I know you and others advocate tipping only those you choose to and not adhering to the system.

Eating in the windjammer all the time is fine and it is great to tip those that assist you in the WJ, but the system is set up the way it is for a reason. That is why MTD requires prepaid tips. We choose MTD and then rarely eat in the MDR. We have prepaid our tips so the servers are covered the way the system is set up to cover them. And then in the Specialty restaurants we pay the service charge and

tip extra.

You are saying I could go to guest services and have my tips removed and say I will pay in cash. And then not tip the MDR servers because I did not eat in there? Why would I do that? Those servers work hard for their money and just because I make other choices on board doesn't mean they should loose a portion of their livelihood. If the system were set up differently fine, but it is not.

With regard to the topic originally started on this thread, do we Diamonds and above know if when using one of the complimentary drinks whether or not the waiter receives a tip automatically per drink or doesn't receive one at all?

In our case, we don't use the coupons as we purchase the drink package and our tips are paid through the package and then we tip extra to those who give us extra special service during the week and there are usually several who do just that.

The first is my business and not yours. The second is your business and not mine.

The point of my post was that you posted incorrect information. Why not simply own up to it.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Princess prints out a bar receipt for "air" when you buy their package (I had a lot of oxygen last weekend:D), and there is a space for an extra tip, there, too. We just carried extra singles and tipped a buck a drink on average, but on occasion had no cash on us so just wrote it in. They not only appreciated it, you could tell that it didn't happen often. And we never had trouble getting service after the first day.

So, If you are using the beverage package don't the servers get a prepaid

gratuity? I have heard comments from others that the service seems slower

when they used the beverage package. Does anyone know how the servers get

the tips?

Read Bob's (Royal2RCCL) post a few pages back.

Well I think Royal Caribbean was smart in charging (other than MTD) people their gratuities on a DAILY basis. You may get them removed, but you would have to say you had bad service EVERY day by each employee to get them all removed. If someone is willing to do that....well...Karma can be a b*tch. haha!

You don't have to say anything at all, from what I understand. We always do MTD, and I've never had service that would warrant removal of gratuities, so I don't know first hand.

But I do believe that you are correct about Karma.

...don't want to go off topic either but we are on explorer next week and was just wondering about how the system works with the 3 drinks credits...

I will post this again for anyone who missed it, but it appears this is just a test program for the time being, and that it's already over except for Oasis leaving today (Apr.5). A veteran member wrote an e-mail to RCI and this is what they said to her (I will link the content below):

Guest maddycat
I will post this again for anyone who missed it, but it appears this is just a test program for the time being, and that it's already over except for Oasis leaving today (Apr.5). A veteran member wrote an e-mail to RCI and this is what they said to her (I will link the content below):

Thanks for posting the link. I was really looking forward to the vouchers on our cruise later this month. Hopefully, RCI will decide to make it a permanent perk in the future.

Royal Caribbean is using this "test program" to test RESISTANCE.

It benefits some - Diamond members who are sailing on ships without a dedicated Diamond Lounge, and only the Diamond "event."

But RC wants to find out if members will become accustomed to this system, and not scream and yell WHEN (notice that I did not write "if") they eliminate all of the lounges and the concierges.

Then they can turn those facilities into revenue-producing areas.

Concierges are WORRIED and ANXIOUS. Their jobs are on the line.

While I can see why Corporate would like it I have a feeling they'd be pretty much on thier own. Based on observations from my last cruise the staff finds them to be... an annoyance to put it politely.

Royal Caribbean is using this "test program" to test RESISTANCE.

It benefits some - Diamond members who are sailing on ships without a dedicated Diamond Lounge, and only the Diamond "event."

But RC wants to find out if members will become accustomed to this system, and not scream and yell WHEN (notice that I did not write "if") they eliminate all of the lounges and the concierges.

Then they can turn those facilities into revenue-producing areas.

Concierges are WORRIED and ANXIOUS. Their jobs are on the line.

OK, so RCI is spending money to convert revenue-producing areas into CLs and DLs but is simultaneously planning to get rid of them in order to conver them back to revenue-producing areas.

The sad part is that I can see that.:eek:

Now, it would be much healthier for me if the lounges didn't exist. It's too easy to park my butt in there for an hour or two and let somebody refill my glass 5 times without my asking. So I might actually be ok with the lounges going away. I must be getting old.

As far as the concierges, I would imagine that they could go to Guest Services, whence most of them came. But RCI would have to provide some personalized perks for the full suite passengers - other than the CL, all they get is more square footage and a coffeemaker (OK, I know it's more than that, but not enough to justify the enormous price difference between a full suite and the other accomodations).