Aftermath of Concordia

TiogaCruiser

.........while I think many people might say, or think, that the Costa Concordia tragedy has been beaten to death since January 13, 2012, I however do not think it can ever be overplayed.

This was a horrible tragedy in human error and more.

No matter how many times we see recordings of this, it reminds us just how much we have taken for granted and shows us that WE MUST learn from the mistakes made.

Thank you so much for posting this link. I am about 2/3's into it, but had to take a break just to tell you Thank You!!

I wanted to use one of the emoticons, thumbs up, a smile or even a sad face, but not one of the ones we have here fit correctly. I'm thumbs up and or a smile for you posting this, but still sad because of the reason. So, just a plain Thank you will have to do.

Joanie

Saw this about a year ago. The image of this film that has stuck with me is the

picture of all the life jackets just dumped on the quay as the passengers came ashore.

Had it on my laptop when we did a far east cruise in January. Something really spooky about a bunch of us huddling around in a circle on the lower promenade deck one night watching that...

An absolutely horrifying video. I never realized it was the third evening of the cruise! I had heard they had never had a muster drill - is that correct?

What can we learn from this video? I think one thing I will do is try on my life jacket in the stateroom, even though we don't have to take them to the muster drill. I noticed on our last cruise that the jackets were of a newer type, with clips instead of those long tapes you have to tie around you, but I didn't think to make sure I knew how it worked! Even watching a crew member put it on on the deck is not the same as trying it on myself!

An absolutely horrifying video. I never realized it was the third evening of the cruise! I had heard they had never had a muster drill - is that correct?

What can we learn from this video? I think one thing I will do is try on my life jacket in the stateroom, even though we don't have to take them to the muster drill. I noticed on our last cruise that the jackets were of a newer type, with clips instead of those long tapes you have to tie around you, but I didn't think to make sure I knew how it worked! Even watching a crew member put it on on the deck is not the same as trying it on myself!

For those interested, there are two long running threads on Concordia on the Costa forum: 'Concordia recovery...." (which pretty much deals with the mechanics of the recovery operation)(and yes, they are currently recovering personal effects from the upper decks), and "Concordia news" which covers the incident, investigation, and trials.

IIRC, the cruise started at one port, where a minority of passengers boarded, and had a muster, and then she went to Civitavecchia, where most of the pax boarded, and muster was to be the next day, which never happened. These multiple boarding cruises are fairly common in Europe.

When I worked cruise ships, I used to spend most of the passenger muster in instructing passengers on how to properly don a lifejacket (it was required to wear it at muster at that time). There would be 10-15 each week that took the back strap and ran it through the handle loop at the top of the jacket. When I would straighten them out, and explain how wearing a jacket in that way would place them in the water in a face down position, you wouldn't believe how quiet it got, and how many eyes were turned my way.

I salute your resolve to try donning your lifejacket. I've done it weekly for 40 years, and it has become "muscle memory" for me, and I can don it in seconds. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

I salute your resolve to try donning your lifejacket. I've done it weekly for 40 years, and it has become "muscle memory" for me, and I can don it in seconds. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Thanks for that. I don't understand then, why we don't take our life jackets to the muster drill, and put them on as we used to, especially now that there aren't those long tapes for people to trip over!

Thanks for that. I don't understand then, why we don't take our life jackets to the muster drill, and put them on as we used to, especially now that there aren't those long tapes for people to trip over!

Professionally, I don't understand what I see as a trend to more "infomercial" drill, and less hands on. I know that the number of posts I've seen here complaining about musters on deck, being required to stand in line and listen, or having to bring, or god forbid, put on the lifejacket, has not in any way decreased since the Concordia. I thought there would be a trend to better preparation during drills after Concordia, but it seems that the lines are trying to meet the requirement for the pre-sail drill, while not causing the passengers any discomfort, and that by taking away any hands on portion of the drill, they are trying to minimize the risk of an emergency.

Professionally, I don't understand what I see as a trend to more "infomercial" drill, and less hands on. I know that the number of posts I've seen here complaining about musters on deck, being required to stand in line and listen, or having to bring, or god forbid, put on the lifejacket, has not in any way decreased since the Concordia. I thought there would be a trend to better preparation during drills after Concordia, but it seems that the lines are trying to meet the requirement for the pre-sail drill, while not causing the passengers any discomfort, and that by taking away any hands on portion of the drill, they are trying to minimize the risk of an emergency.

Most certainly, I do not have the experience at sea as you do. But, I do have a somewhat different opinion as to the Muster Drill, at least as applied to HAL ships, as a fare paying guest.

Since the Costa Concordia tragedy, I recall that all of the HAL ships I have sailed had lifejackets that had straps and not clamps. (I may be wrong in my memory; it would not be the first that has happened.) They did and do pose a hazard when people are not wearing them and are walking up/down stairs. I do agree that requiring guests to try them on is an advantage, however. Replacing all of the old-style lifejackets with straps seems to me to be an excellent idea.

The current instructions being given during the Muster Drill are much more specific and, I believe, relevant for the guests well-being than what I have experienced before. To paraphrase: Upon the signal, return to the cabin, gather your medicine and prepare to wear warm clothing and shoes, and wait for further instructions. If then required, upon being informed, put on your lifejacket and proceed to your Muster Station.

More than once, during a drill, I have heard the commandment from the Bridge: "QUIET ON DECK!"

On my most recent cruise aboard the Westerdam, my lifeboat Commander was the Event Manager for the ship and he was VERY explicit as to what we should expect in case of the need to abandon ship. People were attentive and respectful.

And, I do think Mustering on deck, where one's lifeboat is, is preferable to the way Princess and Celebrity do by mustering in a public room. While not always the most pleasant to be on deck, one at least knows: which lifeboat is mine.

On a Princess cruise, I volunteered to be among a small group at the end of a Muster Drill to be lead out to where that Muster Station's lifeboat was. I am sure that was to help provide some potential "calming influence for other guests" if some of their fellow passengers knew where/what was going on during a real emergency. The information we were given during this extension of the Drill was not nearly as informative as what I am now hearing on HAL ships. (This experience was on the original Royal Princess in 1986.)

In any given situation, particularly in an emergency, common sense is required. I am sorry to say that often seems to be in short supply today.

Most certainly, I do not have the experience at sea as you do. But, I do have a somewhat different opinion as to the Muster Drill, at least as applied to HAL ships, as a fare paying guest.

Since the Costa Concordia tragedy, I recall that all of the HAL ships I have sailed had lifejackets that had straps and not clamps. (I may be wrong in my memory; it would not be the first that has happened.) They did and do pose a hazard when people are not wearing them and are walking up/down stairs. I do agree that requiring guests to try them on is an advantage, however. Replacing all of the old-style lifejackets with straps seems to me to be an excellent idea.

The current instructions being given during the Muster Drill are much more specific and, I believe, relevant for the guests well-being than what I have experienced before. To paraphrase: Upon the signal, return to the cabin, gather your medicine and prepare to wear warm clothing and shoes, and wait for further instructions. If then required, upon being informed, put on your lifejacket and proceed to your Muster Station.

More than once, during a drill, I have heard the commandment from the Bridge: "QUIET ON DECK!"

On my most recent cruise aboard the Westerdam, my lifeboat Commander was the Event Manager for the ship and he was VERY explicit as to what we should expect in case of the need to abandon ship. People were attentive and respectful.

And, I do think Mustering on deck, where one's lifeboat is, is preferable to the way Princess and Celebrity do by mustering in a public room. While not always the most pleasant to be on deck, one at least knows: which lifeboat is mine.

On a Princess cruise, I volunteered to be among a small group at the end of a Muster Drill to be lead out to where that Muster Station's lifeboat was. I am sure that was to help provide some potential "calming influence for other guests" if some of their fellow passengers knew where/what was going on during a real emergency. The information we were given during this extension of the Drill was not nearly as informative as what I am now hearing on HAL ships. (This experience was on the original Royal Princess in 1986.)

In any given situation, particularly in an emergency, common sense is required. I am sorry to say that often seems to be in short supply today.

I'm glad that you seem to be getting more from the muster than pre-Concordia, that's just not what I've been seeing and hearing. I understand that many ships these days use the indoor muster stations because of limited deck space at the boats. Also, indoor muster stations allow for the guests to be accounted for, and remain in some comfort for an extended period that may happen between mustering and the decision to abandon or not. But I've been a firm believer in using the most realistic training, or it isn't worth while. And my belief is that the passengers are ultimately responsible for assisting in their own safety, and so even though you are on vacation, you should have the most realistic training as possible, so muster, put jackets on, and go to the boats. Just my personal feelings.

The Costa tragedy will never go away.

If anything good came from it, People are paying attention at emergency drills and learning how wear life vests. Tradgedy can and does happen, people learn a lesson from it.

Edited by Typhoon1

I'm glad that you seem to be getting more from the muster than pre-Concordia, that's just not what I've been seeing and hearing. I understand that many ships these days use the indoor muster stations because of limited deck space at the boats. Also, indoor muster stations allow for the guests to be accounted for, and remain in some comfort for an extended period that may happen between mustering and the decision to abandon or not. But I've been a firm believer in using the most realistic training, or it isn't worth while. And my belief is that the passengers are ultimately responsible for assisting in their own safety, and so even though you are on vacation, you should have the most realistic training as possible, so muster, put jackets on, and go to the boats. Just my personal feelings.

Speaking from my most recent experience in 2013 on Celebrity Eclipse that is not a HAL ship:

The indoor Muster Station for my area was in the Photo Gallery area. As we entered the area, a cruise staff member accounted for us. Seating was next to non-existant. If one was there early, there were some ledges along the exterior wall of the area that one could plop down on--which I did. After "all" was supposedly present, a message from the Master was heard--if one could understand clearly the Greek inflected English--and a video dealing with emergency procedures was shown, which was well done, I thought. The area was of course comfortable as to temperature. But, it was crowded and, again, the sound system coupled with the English limitations of the Master would have made a request to abandon ship a dicey proposition.

In the Captain's use of the English language: "Abandon ship!" I have wondered: Would I have understood this? Would the crew members in charge of my muster area who were obviously crew social staff members and not Stewards, sailors, staff of any level, or officers as we see on a HAL ship during a Muster Drill have been able to properly respond in order to save my life?

I am not sure that on any ship on which I have ever sailed that the powers that be really understand the importance of the clarity that the public address sound system ought to be for guests and crew. And, that is particularly true for when we are standing on deck at our Muster Station. Given the language abilities of the Master and the Cruise Director as well as the ship's PA system, what I hear is sometimes understandable; too often what I hear is gibberish, or close to it. (And if one has already had too many pre-cast-off drinks, it would have to be worse, if not much worse.)

I regret that I do not recall the Event Manager's name on the January 4, 2014 cruise of the Westerdam who was our LifeBoat Commander. But, his "talk" to us at our Muster Station should be the "standard" for all Lifeboat Commanders at every Muster Drill on every ship of whatever cruise line.

We enjoy having the muster drill at the actual life boat for the simple reason that it forces us to discover the actual route to the lifeboat. We are very safety conscious whenever we travel. Immediately upon checking into a hotel, we will always walk the emergency exit from our room to familiarize ourselves with the location. Remember that emergencies most often happen in the dark with hallways full of smoke and knowing the turn to turn directions to exit an unfamiliar building can save your life.

On a cruise, we always retrace the path to our lifeboat. The walk is short and it can make all the difference.

Just found and watched this documentary filmed by pax and assembled into one very moving film:

Apparently it was on broadcast TV but we missed it. (How many people do you see with their life vests on incorrectly?)

Hubby and I just watched this two nights ago...on Youtube. It was excellent! The Concordia was so elegant! The footage was amazing but so frightening, too.

Saw this about a year ago. The image of this film that has stuck with me is the picture of all the life jackets just dumped on the quay as the passengers came ashore.

That has stayed with me too. It seemed even more poignant in video (vs a still).

I was looking at the Concordia cruisers and thinking that they look like fashion models compared to the usual American cruisers. Where are all the scooters, the walkers, the super obese people and the very elderly? Would everyone here be able to climb those crew stairs like that? That's what stuck in my head after 9/11: would I or my loved ones be able to climb down 100 flights of stairs, and then back up some, and back down some?

No matter how well you can get to your muster station you must allow for the fact that less mobile people may be completely blocking your way. This is why the chaos that I saw in the video is even more alarming to me. The crew was not given the heads up that anything was happening until they were well into their "power outage". So how could those assigned to the immobile/less mobile get to their charges- to assist them but also to keep them from blocking exit routes? Those power scooters can be absolutely huge.

I saw this film some time ago, it was a documentary on TV. It gave me chills, and almost scared me off of cruising. The poster above has a very good point about the mobility-challenged, and especially scooters. I don't recall seeing any in this film, so can only imagine the additional chaos that would have ensued.