May help newer cruisers....

dingy

I just booked a cruise last week.... 4/12 Reflection (sort of last minute). I came here to look at some of the Q & A and comments. There seems to be a lot of questions about all sorts of things as people seem to want to know just about everything and try to plan just about everything accordingly. I asked a few questions myself. We don't keep track of the number of cruises we have taken but it's in the teens somewhere. I offer this "view" for the newer cruisers who may think they have to do everything and know everything about their cruise before they step foot on the ship. I'm sure there will be some who will take issue with my suggestions. That's fine, I'm sure most will not agree but it may help some to just take a deep breath, relax and not worry.....

GET LOST.... You don't need to know where everything is on the ship before you get there. Part of the fun is investigating. Getting lost a couple of times is no big deal. I promise, you won't wind up on another ship.

FOOD....With the exception of dietary restrictions, don't worry about the food...what is served and when. I look at it this way. If food was an issue when planning a vacation, I would yet to have taken a my first cruise. (We have taken cruises on smaller yacht-type vessels with 50 guests and that is the exception.) Food on a cruise ship is like a grand catering hall. Not like a fine restaurant. The steak you order isn't thrown on the grill when your server goes back to the kitchen with your medium-rare order. He just goes over to the 1000s of pre-cooked steaks being kept warm and grabs one from the medium rare pile for you. It has to be that way. Too many people...too little time. And for those who are sailing with Celebrity for the first time, I think they are the best when compared to other lines in their category when it comes to food. Just don't worry about the food. Go. Eat. Enjoy the company.

PLANNING...we take cruises because we find them extremely relaxing. Part of that relaxation is having little or nothing on the daily calendar and filling it up as we go....or just relax.

Don't think you need to pre-schedule everything. There are plenty of excursions and they are not all filled. There is always a table on a speciality restaurant somewhere. Last cruise, I called for a reservation and was told they were booked. I walked down there in the afternoon with a $20 bill and a table magically opened up. You don't need to fully pre-book trips and dinners. Play it by ear. Believe me. You won't miss out on a thing.

So, find out what the the cruise line wants you do do. Make sure you have complied. Everything else can wait until you are on board. As helpful as this message board is, most people who cruise don't read it. And, I'm sure they have a grand time. You don't need to plan everything. Enjoy the discovery.

I totally agree with this advice! I am often stunned by the detailed questions people seem to think they need to know in advance of their trip, down to perusing the menus every day ahead of time. Some things are best left to discover once you board!!

My favorite question was 'how many lights are there around the mirror at the desk.' Seriously!!!????

Thank you for this advice! DH and I are going on our first cruise, and I have been dogging these boards looking for information, reading all the threads, agonizing about beverage packages, wondering if specialty restaurants are worth it, choosing excursions, and flapping around.:rolleyes::eek:

I like being informed, but you are absolutely right--it's time to relax, and start looking forward to the trip!

Have a great week!

Some things are best left to discover once you board!!

My favorite question was 'how many lights are there around the mirror at the desk.' Seriously!!!????

You are so right!

One of my favorite questions is, which way do the beds face?

It is so very refreshing to hear you say this, as I think sometimes we all need to take a step back and remember why we took a cruise ship for our vacation. The first Med cruise my Dh and I took was wonderful...everything was special! Take time often to smell the roses; life is too short for too many details!:cool:;) Life is too precious not to enjoy for the sake of enjoyment!

Edited by Lastdance

Well, obviously these forums collect those of us towards the "obsessive" end of the spectrum. On the other hand I am not sure that we would have gotten as much enjoyment out of our cruises if we hadn't done a level of research and that has been half the fun for us.

I do agree sometimes we can over do it. I remember when I was going in for a surgery once and the nurse was sort of surprised on the day that I didn't have a load of questions. I said what came to my mind which was "well, I figure you folks know what you are doing and you do this a lot and don't kill too many people, otherwise you wouldn't be doing it. Therefore I am not going to suddenly think of something that you hadn't considered that I need to ask to go 'Oh, yeah, I guess we hadn't thought of that.'" The nurse laughed at me.

So, my standpoint with cruises is they must be doing something right, because lots of people go again and again, so relax and go with the flow!

Agree. I often wonder if we would still be cruising if we had know all the details ( menus, activity schedules, entertainers, etc, etc) before we set foot on our first cruise in 2006.

It was exciting & wonderful to keep being surprised at every turn.

To this day 20+ cruises and counting, we look forward to sailing on a ship for the first time, trying a new speciality restaurant, bar or a port for the first time! I don't want to know what the menu is for day 3, what time trivia is or if they have Zumba- I want to find out when I get there😊.

"GET LOST.... You don't need to know where everything is on the ship before you get there. Part of the fun is investigating".

Now, when I am getting lost and investigating the ship...should I start on the top deck and walk down? Or should I start on the lower deck and work my way up? And how many steps is it from one deck to the next? And how many steps from the forward elevator to the aft elevator? And can I investigate in shorts, or is there a specific Investigatory Dress Code...I certainly don't want to get lost in the wrong attire !!:D:D

Seriously though...what you said is so true. My wife has been on 10-12 cruises, and has NEVER read a single post on Cruise Critic; has NEVER perused the Cruise Line websites; has never looked at a cruise brochure (except the pictures); has NEVER read the FAQ's; and rarely even reads the Celebrity Today or other lines daily sheets...but still has a Fantastic, Wonderful, Fun, Memory-Making-Lifetime-Lasting experience !!:)

Enjoy

Woody

I just booked a cruise last week.... 4/12 Reflection (sort of last minute). I came here to look at some of the Q & A and comments. There seems to be a lot of questions about all sorts of things as people seem to want to know just about everything and try to plan just about everything accordingly. I asked a few questions myself. We don't keep track of the number of cruises we have taken but it's in the teens somewhere. I offer this "view" for the newer cruisers who may think they have to do everything and know everything about their cruise before they step foot on the ship. I'm sure there will be some who will take issue with my suggestions. That's fine, I'm sure most will not agree but it may help some to just take a deep breath, relax and not worry.....

GET LOST.... You don't need to know where everything is on the ship before you get there. Part of the fun is investigating. Getting lost a couple of times is no big deal. I promise, you won't wind up on another ship.

FOOD....With the exception of dietary restrictions, don't worry about the food...what is served and when. I look at it this way. If food was an issue when planning a vacation, I would yet to have taken a my first cruise. (We have taken cruises on smaller yacht-type vessels with 50 guests and that is the exception.) Food on a cruise ship is like a grand catering hall. Not like a fine restaurant. The steak you order isn't thrown on the grill when your server goes back to the kitchen with your medium-rare order. He just goes over to the 1000s of pre-cooked steaks being kept warm and grabs one from the medium rare pile for you. It has to be that way. Too many people...too little time. And for those who are sailing with Celebrity for the first time, I think they are the best when compared to other lines in their category when it comes to food. Just don't worry about the food. Go. Eat. Enjoy the company.

PLANNING...we take cruises because we find them extremely relaxing. Part of that relaxation is having little or nothing on the daily calendar and filling it up as we go....or just relax.

Don't think you need to pre-schedule everything. There are plenty of excursions and they are not all filled. There is always a table on a speciality restaurant somewhere. Last cruise, I called for a reservation and was told they were booked. I walked down there in the afternoon with a $20 bill and a table magically opened up. You don't need to fully pre-book trips and dinners. Play it by ear. Believe me. You won't miss out on a thing.

So, find out what the the cruise line wants you do do. Make sure you have complied. Everything else can wait until you are on board. As helpful as this message board is, most people who cruise don't read it. And, I'm sure they have a grand time. You don't need to plan everything. Enjoy the discovery.

Great advice!

As much as I enjoy reading Cruise Critic and learning from it, I am glad it was not around (or if it was, I did not know about it) when we took our first cruise or I would have been a nervous wreck worrying about all the things that people claim you are supposed to know and do and bring along.

We booked our first cruise on impulse at the last minute when we received a bargain closeout price too good to resist.

We simply packed up what we had, headed off in youthful, blissful ignorance and had a wonderful time.

"GET LOST.... You don't need to know where everything is on the ship before you get there. Part of the fun is investigating".

Now, when I am getting lost and investigating the ship...should I start on the top deck and walk down? Or should I start on the lower deck and work my way up? And how many steps is it from one deck to the next? And how many steps from the forward elevator to the aft elevator? And can I investigate in shorts, or is there a specific Investigatory Dress Code...I certainly don't want to get lost in the wrong attire !!:D:D

Seriously though...what you said is so true. My wife has been on 10-12 cruises, and has NEVER read a single post on Cruise Critic; has NEVER perused the Cruise Line websites; has never looked at a cruise brochure (except the pictures); has NEVER read the FAQ's; and rarely even reads the Celebrity Today or other lines daily sheets...but still has a Fantastic, Wonderful, Fun, Memory-Making-Lifetime-Lasting experience !!:)

Enjoy

Woody

Actually where you start is somewhere in the middle, depending on where the gangplank is located on embarcation... then it depends on what deck your room is located. some of us will be starting near the top and working our way down, and some will be required to do the exact opposite :-P. They don't enforce the dress code, as most people have their boat neck t-shirts, bermuda shorts, and deck shoes packed in their luggage....so feel free to explore in whatever you've worn for your obligatory green screen welcome aboard pic. Just hope you didn't forget and wear a green shirt. However, if you did, your picture will be the one with the floating head, that everyone in the photo gallery is getting a giggle out of..

enjoy your day

Tutu

Some of our favorite cruises were the first when we didn't know anything.

Heck, I still don't know anything. Maybe that is why I still have fun. :D

And can I investigate in shorts, or is there a specific Investigatory Dress Code...

Enjoy

Woody

Just got off the phone with CC. Although not mandatory, they prefer that you get lost in Formal Wear.

Edited by dingy

Not planning ahead is hard for some of us business type people, who have to be as informed as we can be :D And then there are the rest of you obsessive people on here lol

I have been trying to pay off asking to many questions and figuring it out on our first upcoming cruise.

But then again i have learned a few really good tips here on the boards. A few good things to bring, and few good spots on the ship to visit and a few places to visit in port. So some info and tips are really great to know.

Just got off the phone with CC. Although not mandatory, they prefer that you get lost in Formal Wear.

I just called too, and they gave me the totally opposite information, that while getting lost, the prefer casual, because there is nothing more sad than a lost penguin. It really pulls at the heart strings.

By far the most entertaining thread I have read on here! We are preparing for our July 20th sailing to Bermuda on the Summit and I love all the hints. It is possible to get very caught up in all the tiniest of details but just remember it's a vacation, just have a great time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Also don't get caught up with the what you need to bring threads. I don't see them too much on the Celebrity board but on the Princess boards you will find people bring everything from automatic coffee makers to mattress pads. These suggestions usually come from the Princess cheerleaders. Personally if I had to bring half the crap that these people bring I would choose another line or just go camping.

My DH thinks I'm obsessed about planning everything and while I do try to at least plan our excursions in advance, that's about it. The rest of it we just wing it. Works for us. I like not knowing some things.

Kremepuff - I shouldn't have taken a sip of my chai latte before reading your response. Now I have to clean my monitor! Well done! Well done!