Need Travel Insurance Recommendations

njgirl

insuremytrip.com is the best right now until American Express reassess their traveling insurance .

When you pass 70 yrs old the trip insurance really goes up in price .Usually 9% of the entire trip cost :o What we have done is to get a discount for our insurance from our TA & most times a OBC as well .:D

Go to insure my trip dot com. Many, many to choose from at prices much less than the cruise line insurance.

Thanks to all that answered thus far. Did comparisons on insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com. Just wondering which insurance companies you ended up purchasing from.

Edited by njgirl

Personally I like travel guard gold plan. However, if you are 70 plus they have a silver plan too. I know they actually pay out claims.

Cheap insurance may seem like a deal but if they have a habit of denying claims then it's useless

CC

Thanks to all that answered thus far. Did comparisons on insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com. Just wondering which insurance companies you ended up purchasing from.

Am I allowed to talk about a big national store that also sell various travel needs? I guess it's OK , as others are mentioning 'net sites. We just paid $300 total for what appears to be a quite comprehensive policy, certainly more than adequate for us, on a cruise lasting 16 days and having a cabin cost of $4000. (Yes, we got a great deal on the stateroom) I'm over 70 and my wife is 10 years junior. Plus OBC

What is critical about any insurance company is the strength of their balance sheet & their track record of paying claims ;which is easily verifiable for publicly traded insurance company stocks ;). I have verified both of these items with the discounted trip insurance carrier our TA gives us a discount with . I( am satisfied:D

What is critical about any insurance company is the strength of their balance sheet & their track record of paying claims ;which is easily verifiable for publicly traded insurance company stocks ;). I have verified both of these items with the discounted trip insurance carrier our TA gives us a discount with . I( am satisfied:D

Do you mind sharing the name of the Insurance company and the name of the policy you purchased?

The thing is, people really have different needs in travel insurance and there is no one policy that is better in all areas. I've written some long posts in the past couple of days about reading the fine print carefully BEFORE you buy...with some hints as to what to look for. Do a search to find those....long comments on pre-existing conditions and on getting you home from a foreign hospital....two areas where policies vary a great deal. Another area to look for is what happens if the ship breaks down during the voyage....yes, it does happen...it happened to us.. and most policies don't cover it...including, by the way, celebrity's own policy. Does you current insurance have foreign medical coverage (eg. medigap?) or not...you might not need more?

Sorry, but you really have to spend some time at squaremouth.com or insuremytrip.com and compare what the policies offer...and both sites will show you the fine print which believe it or not is actually understandable.

Edited by ghstudio

We always get our insurance thru tripinsurancestore.com. Normally get the TravelSafe insurance. Before purchasing, we always talk to the owner, Steve, or one of his reps....all are very knowledgeable and helpful. Tell them plans of our trip, what we are interested in as far as coverage and they will help you find the best policy coverage for your particular needs or situation:).

Edited by Happy2cruise

Does trip interruption cover hurricanes?

Cover what? Most cruises just change the itinerary to avoid the weather...no on ensures that you will visit every port on your itinerary. If you are looking for some other hurricane coverage, just pick a policy and see how it's covered. Most likely, if it is covered, it's trip delay, not trip interruption.

If you want to cancel because you are worried about a hurricane, then get a policy with a cancel for any reason coverage...which costs significantly more.

Edited by ghstudio

USAA has a great plan if you qualify for USAA

Agree! We always check the comparison website, but so far USAA wins out for cost and, more importantly, coverage, every time.

Regardless who you buy it from, it's worth purchasing.

another vote for tripinsurancestore.com

we are 6 "senior" travelers and always get our insurance through this site and agree Steve and staff are wonderful at answering questions. we have had a few claims and each company paid promptly.

We use USAA - Travel Insured International. We normally purchase about a week before our cruise. If you're not worried about being reimbursed for air/cruise/hotels, etc. (which for the most part is already paid for), look at just getting their emergency evacuation policy. That's what we're most concerned about. Cost is very reasonable.

Hope I will not need to use it. Who do you recommend to purchase Travel Insurance from?

Thanks !!!

We have used USAA in the past. They do not handle it directly, but a third party does it all. Quite competitive.

Does trip interruption cover hurricanes?

Cover what? Most cruises just change the itinerary to avoid the weather...no on ensures that you will visit every port on your itinerary. If you are looking for some other hurricane coverage, just pick a policy and see how it's covered. Most likely, if it is covered, it's trip delay, not trip interruption.

If you want to cancel because you are worried about a hurricane, then get a policy with a cancel for any reason coverage...which costs significantly more.

I work for one of the large travel insurance providers. ghstudio is essentially correct. Speaking generally with regard to hurricanes (the language on policies can vary widely), it would cover for trip cancellation or interruption only if it causes a cruise to be completely cancelled or delayed.

It might also cover a destination being made uninhabitable by a hurricane within 30 days of arrival (but not more than 30 days, and not if a named hurricane is already churning when the policy is purchased which ends up being the problem), but that doesn't much apply to cruisers, unless we're talking about a pre- or post-cruise hotel stay.

It cannot cover for the fear a hurricane may cause a problem, only if it actually does. It won't cover itinerary changes-- if you got a cruise, you got a cruise. CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage typically requires you to cancel no later than 48 hours before you leave home, and is for less than 100% of the insured trip cost-- usually between 50% and 75%. And, yes, it costs significantly:eek: more.

Don't forget to review the benefits provided by your credit card. Especially with higher-end cards, the trip insurance coverage you are seeking may already be provided by the card you use to purchase the cruise. If you still have the benefit booklet that comes annually, dig it out and read the fine print. if you threw it away, you should be able to get the information online. If you travel a lot, the savings in not having to buy separate trip insurance can easily offset a higher annual fee for a card that includes such benefits.

Don't forget to review the benefits provided by your credit card. Especially with higher-end cards, the trip insurance coverage you are seeking may already be provided by the card you use to purchase the cruise. If you still have the benefit booklet that comes annually, dig it out and read the fine print. if you threw it away, you should be able to get the information online. If you travel a lot, the savings in not having to buy separate trip insurance can easily offset a higher annual fee for a card that includes such benefits.

Excellent advice...and by the way, if you travel and rent a car, you should also know what's covered by your auto policy at home and by your credit card company. Very few actually need to buy that collision damage waiver....

Excellent advice...and by the way, if you travel and rent a car, you should also know what's covered by your auto policy at home and by your credit card company. Very few actually need to buy that collision damage waiver....

Very true. I never do, unless required by law in some few countries.

A question though: Does anybody know of a source for added LIABILITY coverage in foreign countries- other than the rental agency itself, of course? I have been unable to find anybody who sells this.

Very true. I never do, unless required by law in some few countries.

A question though: Does anybody know of a source for added LIABILITY coverage in foreign countries- other than the rental agency itself, of course? I have been unable to find anybody who sells this.

You may actually already have it. I believe that a personal liability umbrella policy will cover liability subject to a deductible (read the policy).

Edited by ghstudio