Activity Staff Reduction (3 Threads Merged)

jeffbook

The problem that I see with this philosophy they seem to be pursuing is that if they continue giving drink packages away, make more service cuts and charge for activities they are going to attract people who are only interested in the free drinks which will create an atmosphere that the big spenders aren't interested in. Good grief, most of the cruisers they have now don't even want to pay $5 for the Bistro on 5. I don't care what kind of private areas they have for big spenders, those people still have to come out and mingle with others.

These are not small boutique type ships that are going to exotic destinations.

I hope they have given some serious thought to unintended consequences of these kinds of policies. I'm also taking the wait and see approach, but I am concerned.

Edited by Ma Bell

The problem that I see with this philosophy they seem to be pursuing is that if they continue giving drink packages away, make more service cuts and charge for activities they are going to attract people who are only interested in the free drinks which will create an atmosphere that the big spenders aren't interested in. Good grief, most of the cruisers they have now don't even want to pay $5 for the Bistro on 5. I don't care what kind of private areas they have for big spenders, those people still have to come out and mingle with others.

These are not small boutique type ships that are going to exotic destinations.

I hope they have given some serious thought to unintended consequences of these kinds of policies. I'm also taking the wait and see approach, but I am concerned.

Ma Bell, it will be interesting to see what happens when the current promo that includes the free beverage packages is over. Will Celebrity continue to offer the promos, or will you have to book on board a Celebrity ship to get the free beverage packages?

Perhaps Celebrity will wait to see as well, and will respond as needed, depending on what happens with bookings. They certainly have set up an expectation that the next promo with free beverage packages is just around the corner.

Ma Bell, it will be interesting to see what happens when the current promo that includes the free beverage packages is over. Will Celebrity continue to offer the promos, or will you have to book on board a Celebrity ship to get the free beverage packages?

Perhaps Celebrity will wait to see as well, and will respond as needed, depending on what happens with bookings. They certainly have set up an expectation that the next promo with free beverage packages is just around the corner.

Hi Elena7seas,

My crystal ball says that beverage package promos will be around for a long time to come. They are very popular, and must be helping bookings. Whether it's called 123 GO, Pick Your Perk, or, party party party ? ... they will return. The fact that 123 GO is now a permanent fixture on the Cruise Now onboard promo says it all. Celebrity has created the expectation, and it's going to be all but impossible to eliminate it.

What some folks fail to realize, is there's no free lunch in this world. Everyone is paying for this amenity, in higher cruise prices.

Charging a fee for lounge chairs around the pool would sure get rid of the chair hogs....I would pay for it....maybe a reserved area for that purpose

Hi Neeko,

Celebrity offers the Alcoves on their 3 newest S-Class ships - which carry a fee. I truly hope that's the only venue that ever charges such fees - but I suspect other methods of generating poolside and other onboard revenues are sure to follow.

Edited by Host Andy

You're right about that Andy and those of us who don't care about having them are subsidizing a new demographic that we probably also don't care for. I don't recall a Celebrity cruise before the one I took last month where many of the passengers were just reeking of booze. I'm not a tee-totaler, but I don't really appreciate the other end of the scale either.

Hi Elena7seas,

My crystal ball says that beverage package promos will be around for a long time to come. They are very popular, and must be helping bookings. Whether it's called 123 GO, Pick Your Perk, or, party party party ? ... they will return. The fact that 123 GO is now a permanent fixture on the Cruise Now onboard promo says it all. Celebrity has created the expectation, and it's going to be all but impossible to eliminate it.

What some folks fail to realize, is there's no free lunch in this world. Everyone is paying for this amenity, in higher cruise prices.

Hi Andy!

As we are a couple who finds value in the beverage package, what you see in your crystal ball is fine with us. It's not hard to calculate the price of the beverage package on most sailings. On our upcoming 8-night Solstice cruise, the 123GO! option was $200 per person. Certainly good value for us. My bill for beverages would probably be similar or slightly less, but I really do enjoy the convenience and no-guilt features of the beverage package. Now with the new Gastrobar and Slush, I will probably be more inclined to upgrade to the Premium package. Smart thinking on Celebrity's part. :D

I don't have any problem with Celebrity adding new, optional features, with upcharges. We can all make our own decisions as to what provides value for each of us, and can customize our cruise as we see fit, as long as the base price of the cruise doesn't rise out of line with value.

I just hope Celebrity is careful about what it is taking away from the base cruise, at the same time as they are raising the price of the basic cruise. The price for our 2015 Baltic cruise on the Eclipse was so high that we finally cancelled it in favour of a similar cruise on RCCL Serenade of the Seas. I would rather be on the Eclipse, but at a certain point, the increase in price does not equate to value for us, and the Baltic cruise is a port-focussed cruise, not a ship-focussed cruise. At present the Eclipse price does not include a beverage package either, but even if it did, the $3600 difference is just too great to ignore.

I hope your sister is recovering beautifully, and that your lovely mom is doing great as well.

Have I got this right? Some of you are actually suggesting that those that appreciate the beverage package are a bunch of drunkards? Or is there some other sort of demographic it attracts that you "don't care for"??? I'm sure I'm not the only one to find this offensive.

I also find it interesting that many that object to the beverage packages just happen to get a not insignificant umber of free drinks due to their status. :rolleyes:

And while we're on the subject of subsidies, I notice there's no mention of who subsidizes the free perks for the elites and their superiors...

Have I got this right? Some of you are actually suggesting that those that appreciate the beverage package are a bunch of drunkards? Or is there some other sort of demographic it attracts that you "don't care for"??? I'm sure I'm not the only one to find this offensive.

I also find it interesting that many that object to the beverage packages just happen to get a not insignificant umber of free drinks due to their status. :rolleyes:

And while we're on the subject of subsidies, I notice there's no mention of who subsidizes the free perks for the elites and their superiors...

No your are not the only one who finds that some might think those that take the beverage package are a bunch of drunks. I wonder how many get tipsy during the Elite cocktail party, especially those that complain about the vouchers, because then they can only get 3 free drinks. Also, I wonder what demographic the promotion attracts? Seems like those of all ages pick the beverage package.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm also flummoxed by the suggestion that suggestion that Beverage Package types don't spend any money. :confused: Maybe I didn't buy a Vacherin Constantin watch, but I did eat my very first meal on a ship in Bistro on 5, ate two other meals in the more expensive venues (even though I had paid a premium for Aqua/Blu) and ponied up some cash to upgrade my drink package - it's about quality not quantity to me. I'm not sure who these "big spenders" are and what aspect of my presence they would find unsavoury but I'd sure like to know. (I even wore my tux, TWICE, so as not to to offend their sensibilities).

I believe that the effect of drink packages differs greatly from cruise to cruise depending on length of cruise and time of year. The fact that the few overly lubricated stand out indicates to me that they are a small minority. On Century one younger cruiser needed medical attention. I saw an older man having problems walking while on Reflection. Celebrity has the right and obligation to cut off those who are abusing alcohol. Celebrity has a liability problem if they don't. Strict enforcement of the rules can reduce the impact of excessive consumption. My DW and I are entitled to the Premium Package. We have a wine with dinner and non alcohol drinks the rest of the time. I believe that we are in the majority who are non abusers.

Welcome to modern nickel and diming AKA: Modern Luxury.

I just wanted to say that I love this quote. I have never really understood the Modern Luxury tagline, although "what you wanted before you knew you needed it" (or similar) makes the least sense, unless you're in a suite and have a butler.

Just off Solstice cruise finishing 28th April.

We had 5 activities staff onboard that cruise. Reducing to 2 plus support from other staff this current cruise.

Also had the shipbuilding and eggdrop contests that cruise.

We had 5 activities staff onboard that cruise. Reducing to 2 plus support from other staff this current cruise.

Do you know if the 3 that were surplus to "Modern Luxury" programs are being reassigned or just sent home?

In contrast to all of the cuts reported on here I just read this from a poster currently on the Royal Princess about her activities for just today.

Then Brazilian line dancing at 11-12. He puts us thru our paces and it is as good as his Zumba class. It is very crowded, but I found some friends from the roll call and we enjoyed it together. The marble floor makes it very hard to slide, but we all fake it as best we can!

This morning you could also play trivia, Zumba, bridge, classical history lecture, port lecture on LeHavre/Paris, twist on words and play ring toss and play trivia again!

For the afternoon - make a box and decorate it, play Wii, pop choir rehearsal, afternoon movie Lone Survivor, bridge, dance lessons, Tx Holdem, crazy putt putt and various spa seminars to entice you to book appts.

Edited by chamima

This is the part that puts all my skepticism and cynicism on full alert.

It's the cutting of staff (cutting of non-revenue producing staff) and relying on support from other

departments for a "transitional phase" that make me feel Celebrity is not on the up and up.

I'm betting that support from other staff will last only as long as Celebrity feels their feet are to the fire .

Do you know if the 3 that were surplus to "Modern Luxury" programs are being reassigned or just sent home?

I was told their contracts were ended.

On the positive side, I understand one secured a contract with another cruise line.

I was told their contracts were ended.

On the positive side, I understand one secured a contract with another cruise line.

On the silhouette in April which was down to one activity staff, a cruise director and his assistant, I was told those let go had a choice of going to RC who did need people or go into training to be a future cruise sales person.

I have a feeling that many things I was told on that cruise by many different employees was not necessarily the complete truth but all tinged with some PC to make the customers more comfortable.

The change in activities between my February and March cruises and the April one was dramatic.