What do they do with the boxing ring?

I know the obvious answer is "box" but, seriously, what do they do with it? Training classes? Exhibitions? Off shore bare knuckle cash fights?

I can understand lots of unique features / venues to keep crowds apart, etc., but I have a little trouble understanding what the aim of the boxing is.

They reserve it one day just for Cruise Critic members. Anyone who has done verbal sparring on here will be given a chance to duke it out once and for all and for real.:D

Great reply :D

I took 3 classes on the Freedom, in and outside of the boxing ring. They were an aero/kickboxing type class, very similar to what I take at home. The first class had 6 people, second has 4 people, and I got a private lesson for the last one, as no one else showed up :) We also used the heavy bag hanging beside the ring. Instructors name was Kearon, I think. Very nice(and cute) young man from England.

Any other questions?

Have I to pay to use it? Can I use it alone?

I think it was $45 for 3 classes, and I never saw anyone use it alone. I suppose you could, but they probably wouldn't let you use the gloves and other equipment without a trainer around.

Seems like they have a boxing style class at the same time as a spinning class- they are there every time we are there. Or just as imporant, DW would like to try the boxing class, but must give up spinning....

In short nothing. I have never seen anyone use the ring.

7 days on Freedom back when it was 2 years old is old news, but I've never seen it used, other than a couple of employees were in it pretending to train during embarkation when people were touring. In the 8 years since Freedom was introduced, I don't think I've seen a picture of anyone using it or read anything in a review.

I guess the Freedom class gym is big enough they haven't felt the need to reclaim the space.

Edited by BillOh

7 days on Freedom back when it was 2 years old is old news, but I've never seen it used, other than a couple of employees were in it pretending to train during embarkation when people were touring. In the 8 years since Freedom was introduced, I don't think I've seen a picture of anyone using it or read anything in a review.

I guess the Freedom class gym is big enough they haven't felt the need to reclaim the space.

I'd like to see them put the hot tub back in that space, like Voyager class. I think it would be more useful to the guests.

Various things actually.

Once a week it is used to deal with alcohol smugglers

Each day at 11am fellow cruisers can address the Chair hog issues,and at 4pm the barstaff get to liase with rude passengers.

On the final night of the cruise the waiters do a special presentation with the people that skip dinner to avoid tipping.

Appartantly there will be a second smaller ring on the Quantum for Suite Guests :D

I think the boxing ring is one of the more ill-conceived ideas of Royal Caribbean. I'm sure when all the execs were sitting around the table, somebody mentioned boxing ring and everybody's eyes lit up. But it just doesn't have the appeal that a Flowrider would, or as mentioned, even a hot tub would.

Boxing? Seriously? Who wants to get into a ring and workout and get sweaty in front of lots of people watching? And it's not like it's a "five minutes and you're done" kind of thing. The structured classes mean you have to commit a block of time to it. Boxing may appeal to some serious fitness enthusiasts or to those who box in gyms at home, but I'm going to guess that the number is less than 1% of the cruising passengers.

I think the boxing ring is one of the more ill-conceived ideas of Royal Caribbean. I'm sure when all the execs were sitting around the table, somebody mentioned boxing ring and everybody's eyes lit up. But it just doesn't have the appeal that a Flowrider would, or as mentioned, even a hot tub would.

Boxing? Seriously? Who wants to get into a ring and workout and get sweaty in front of lots of people watching? And it's not like it's a "five minutes and you're done" kind of thing. The structured classes mean you have to commit a block of time to it. Boxing may appeal to some serious fitness enthusiasts or to those who box in gyms at home, but I'm going to guess that the number is less than 1% of the cruising passengers.

Your probably right, but boxing as a workout did increase popularity for awhile. Seems to be having a resurgence here for me locally, but I'll bet your <1% is accurate. I've always wondered about this since watching one of the Travel Channel shows which featured an NCL ship, I think it was pre - Epic and they had and answer to RC's ice rink when they tried a portable artificial ice rink on a ship and it bombed and they were quick to shelf that idea.

I'll look at this when I go on Freedom next year. My wife and I were severely obese back in 2008 and only walked by the gym. We both got back to our ideal weights and in that neighborhood since 2009 when we cruised Navigator.

Your probably right, but boxing as a workout did increase popularity for awhile. Seems to be having a resurgence here for me locally, but I'll bet your <1% is accurate.

I'll look at this when I go on Freedom next year. My wife and I were severely obese back in 2008 and only walked by the gym. We both got back to our ideal weights and in that neighborhood since 2009 when we cruised Navigator.

Yup, I was one of those. I was all about kickboxing a few years back right after my dad died. I was going 4x a week. But I got bored of it and let my membership to the gym expire. If I had on one of the boxing ships back then, I would have loved to get into the right with a new partner. Now-a-days, not a chance. You won't even catch me in the gym while on vacation! ;)

Oh and hey, congrats on the weightloss. Thats awesome!

Edited by Raenstoirm

I know the obvious answer is "box" but, seriously, what do they do with it? Training classes? Exhibitions? Off shore bare knuckle cash fights?

I can understand lots of unique features / venues to keep crowds apart, etc., but I have a little trouble understanding what the aim of the boxing is.

Deal with the people who want to wear shorts to formal night... ;)

My husband paid for 1 boxing class on our cruise in 2008, he said it was the best workout of his life but really enjoyed it. It was mainly an aerobic exercise with gloves and punching bags.

That makes sense for people who want a really aerobic workout without weights, They don't need the actual ring though, just enough gloves and a bag or two I would think. Anyway, I'll be sure to pay more attention to it when I get back on Freedom next year.

They reserve it one day just for Cruise Critic members. Anyone who has done verbal sparring on here will be given a chance to duke it out once and for all and for real.:D

The people on the thread about leaving your kids on the boat while in port are the first ones in line for this.