Has Celebrity gone down hill since the new CEO took over?

Fixit2010

[quote name='plutoface']Celebrity's standard food ( everything that was included with the cruise fare ) was wonderful now it's mediocre at best! Goodbye Celebrity![/QUOTE]

I probably agree with the MDR food becoming less impressive overtime as specialty restaurants have sprouted. I still find the MDR fine on most occasions, but based on reading these forums, seems like many say it's declined.

Cruise fares are nearly half of what they were in the 80's adjusted for inflation, yet fuel expenses and food and produce (have you been keeping up with the Lime-ageddon threads...) have risen tremendously since then (although wages adjusted for inflation are probably lower). To keep the cruise fare low, cruises now offer a lot more add-ons for those who care to take them. Just like airlines now provide a-la-carte pricing, book cheap airfare, then pay as you go for the extras you may need, while not contributing towards those extras you don't need.

To return the MDR to its former grandeur, cruise fares will need to rise.
To return white-glove service, cruise fares will need to rise.
To bring back the midnight chocolate buffet, cruise fares will need to rise.
To serve main lobster instead of caribbean lobster, cruise fares will need to rise.
To offer table side steak Diane, cruise fares will need to rise.
To add fresh floral arrangements back to the tables cruise fares will need to rise.

Everything comes with a cost. Reduced fares (i.e. fares that haven't kept pace with the rate of inflation) = reduced amenities and service. Not sure how else you can balance the equation.

Fortunately there are options offered (albeit at cost) to enhance the experience. Paying for all the extras a-la-carte still probably wouldn't equal what an all-inclusive cruise fare would be if it WERE adjusted to inflation, so still a good value.

Crusie lines are in business to be profitable, not charitable.

Hope you do find a cruise line that will provide the food and value you desire. For me Celebrity meets the bill, for you, it does not, and that's OK. Over the same time you've witnessed this decline, you've also witnessed a proliferation of new ships and lines to seek out that may offer better alternatives.

For a little less than $30 a night pp, you can buy the ultimate dining package (eat in a specialty restaurant every night of your cruise) which will give you (back):

To add fresh floral arrangements back to the tables cruise fares will need to rise.

Wait....that's less than the cost of the drink package which was never included....hmmm! Maybe we need a 1-2-3-4-5 package :)

So tell me again why the fares have to rise :confused: Edited by ghstudio

[quote name='ghstudio']For a little less than $30 a night pp, you can buy the ultimate dining package (eat in a specialty restaurant every night of your cruise) which will give you (back):

Wait....that's less than the cost of the drink package which was never included....hmmm! Maybe we need a 1-2-3-4-5 package :)

So tell me again why the fares have to rise :confused:[/quote]
[IMG]http://cdni.wired.co.uk/1240x826/k_n/Like.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='ghstudio']For a little less than $30 a night pp, you can buy the ultimate dining package (eat in a specialty restaurant every night of your cruise) which will give you (back):

So tell me again why the fares have to rise :confused:[/QUOTE]

Well, the Ultimate dining package isn't always offered, so there's that :) ..but clearly that's not the core to the issue...

To cover cost of fuel and cost of food products which have risen exponentially compared to cruise fares over time when adjusted to inflation, in addition to those things.

A $2000 cabin in 1985 today would cost $4363.96. Yet today that same $2000 cabin still sells for $2000, in essence more than a 50% discount.

Cost of fuel in 1985 was $1.20 a gallon, today around $4 A triple INCREASE

Cost of dozen eggs in 1985 80 cents, today $4.86 a 6 time increase

Cost of gallon of milk in 1985 $2.26, today $2.85 (perhaps a bad example as the US government subsidizes farmers so heavily)

Sources:
[url]http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=2%2C000.00&year1=1985&year2=2014[/url]

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1675727[/url]

[url]http://www.1980sflashback.com/1985/economy.asp[/url]

[url]http://www.humuch.com/prices/Eggs-Dozen/______/113[/url]

And of course to return value to the shareholders of the corporation who are invested in it and allow for the capital needed to refurbish and build ships.

[quote name='cle-guy']Well, the Ultimate dining package isn't always offered, so there's that :) ..but clearly that's not the core to the issue...

To cover cost of fuel and cost of food products which have risen exponentially compared to cruise fares over time when adjusted to inflation, in addition to those things.

A $2000 cabin in 1985 today would cost $4363.96. Yet today that same $2000 cabin still sells for $2000, in essence more than a 50% discount.

Cost of fuel in 1985 was $1.20 a gallon, today around $4 A triple INCREASE

Cost of dozen eggs in 1985 80 cents, today $4.86 a 6 time increase

Cost of gallon of milk in 1985 $2.26, today $2.85 (perhaps a bad example as the US government subsidizes farmers so heavily)

[/QUOTE]

I think you're missing that yes, all of that is true, but celebrity is currently giving away a $49 per night pp package. For only $29 a night, they could a) give away less and b) restore something we might actually recognize as "modern luxury"...without changing the current fares.

Another Like.

Vacations are time, choices and money. More money than the cruise fare.
For my time and money, I expect satisfaction.

Lately, the Celebrity experience has been like visiting a favorite restaurant and finding it's become a lemon. Not lemons for lemonade.

Maybe the 1-2-3-4-5 package will give me options that satisfy my objectives.

Still, I want a seat at the Martini Bar for the best entertainment on the ship.

Celebrity, stop blocking public areas for long periods with undefined private function signs.

Penny

[quote name='PinotBlanc']

Celebrity, stop blocking public areas for long periods with undefined private function signs.

Penny[/quote]
Are you suggesting that Celebrity discontinue the CC meet and greets and Elite cocktail parties, since they are private functions?
The only signs I see to block the public from these meet and greets and cocktail parties are "private function" signs with no description.
Also, why does Celebrity have to tell anyone what the function is, other than it is private. Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm only a new cruiser with an opinion that is worth little, but I'll take the drink package over white gloves and tableside prep any day.

[quote name='ghstudio']I think you're missing that yes, all of that is true, but celebrity is currently giving away a $49 per night pp package. For only $29 a night, they could a) give away less and b) restore something we might actually recognize as "modern luxury"...without changing the current fares.[/QUOTE]

So how do you suggest x covers the cost of these items, as well as the extra fuel and food costs? Are you willing to now pay $4600 for the cabin you now pay $2000 for? Thats just how inflation has hit the cruise lines, yet they still provide the cabin for $2000.

So a ship uses 28,000 gallons of fuel an hour when underway (based on 1100 foot Freedom of the seas)
Source: [url]http://cruises.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_Much_Fuel_Does_a_Cruise_Ship_Use[/url]

So in 1985 that fuel cost $1.20 * 28000 = $33,600 per hour in fuel
Today that fuel cost is $4 * 28000 = 112,000, or $78,400 more per hour, assume 2000 passengers, that's $39.20 per passenger per hour additional in fuel cost.

Let's assume a 7 day cruise with 4 port calls 12 hours each, and forget about the cost of fuel while in port.

7 days * 24 hours = 168 hours on the cruise
remove 4 port calls at 12 hours each (48)
leaves 120 hours of cruising at $39.20 per passenger = $4704 more per passenger in fuel costs.

Yes I'd agree they ships use different fuel than I put in my car yesterday, not sure of which type or what they actually pay, but its kind of dramatic the cost regardless. Let's assume they get the fuel at half the cost of auto fuel, that's still $2000 per passenger for a 7 day cruise that wasn't included in the cabin fare.

It's fine to want these things, just tell me how they are supposed to be paid for if we aren't raising the cruise fare, it needs to come from cost reductions and alternate revenue streams.

The reduction in meals and other service has subsidized the cost of rising costs everywhere allowing the cabin fares to remain steady (or cheaper when adjusted to inflation).

[quote name='cle-guy']So how do you suggest x covers the cost of these items, as well as the extra fuel and food costs? Are you willing to now pay $4600 for the cabin you now pay $2000 for? Thats just how inflation has hit the cruise lines, yet they still provide the cabin for $2000.
[/QUOTE]

I already agreed with all your numbers....but Celebrity has chosen fares to cover all that with today's fare AND they are giving away the classic drink packages....which cost $49 a day. Instead of that, they could charge exactly the same and give away the ultimate dining package which only costs $29 a day. This wouldn't change the coverage of all those costs you list that have increased a bit....but it would provide a better on board experience for some passengers...more like modern luxury.

One could argue the marketing merits, the pluses and minuses of the classic drink package vs ultimate dining...but I, for one, would pick ultimate dining over the classic drink package...and I the cruise, for what it's worth, would seem more luxurious.

[quote name='plutoface']Celebrity's standard food ( everything that was included with the cruise fare ) was wonderful now it's mediocre at best! Goodbye Celebrity![/quote]

[quote name='PinotBlanc']Another Like.

Vacations are time, choices and money. More money than the cruise fare.
For my time and money, I expect satisfaction.

Lately, the Celebrity experience has been like visiting a favorite restaurant and finding it's become a lemon. Not lemons for lemonade.

Maybe the 1-2-3-4-5 package will give me options that satisfy my objectives.

Still, I want a seat at the Martini Bar for the best entertainment on the ship.

Penny[/quote]

So I guess this means we wont be seeing ya'll around these here parts no more?

[quote name='ghstudio']I already agreed with all your numbers....but Celebrity has chosen fares to cover all that with today's fare AND they are giving away the classic drink packages....which cost $49 a day. Instead of that, they could charge exactly the same and give away the ultimate dining package which only costs $29 a day. This wouldn't change the coverage of all those costs you list that have increased a bit....but it would provide a better on board experience for some passengers...more like modern luxury.

One could argue the marketing merits, the pluses and minuses of the classic drink package vs ultimate dining...but I, for one, would pick ultimate dining over the classic drink package...and I the cruise, for what it's worth, would seem more luxurious.[/QUOTE]

Actually I think it would be awesome if they added a dining package as a PYP/123 option, I think many people might prefer it.

But the margins on drinks are far better than food and don't see it happening, otherwise the specialties would become deluged, and cause a different problem.

So figure the $49 drink package at 10% (generally considered hospitality industry standard) beverage cost leaves them with $44.10 margin, costing them only $4.90. Yes some people are going to consume more than the $49 retail value, just like others (myself generally) won't quite make the $49/day everyday (especially when in port) and I think it will average out (which I assume X has analyzed to determine the pricing and value of the package),

Dining package at $29 at 30% (generally considered hospitality industry standard) food cost leaves $17.40 margin costing them $8.70, double the cost of the beverage package, and at the same time, removing available seats for sale to those who did not elect the dining package if it were an option.

I'm guessing they prefer the $44 a day margin...

(I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative, I am just actually enjoying batting back and forth real information here for a change...and appreciate your insights. I have such an analytical mind it's hard for me to think without facts...!)

[quote name='wvufan']This is Jazzbeau's profile. Interesting that the brag about Princess over Celebrity, but is booked on two Celebrity cruises and three others, but no Princess cruises. In fact, it looks like they have only been on two Princess cruises-both on the same ship.[/QUOTE]

I am booked on those two Celebrity cruises because they have unique itineraries (Princess doesn't do 14-day Caribbean or Galapagos at all). We plan to sail on Island Princess (Coral's sister ship) when she transfers to Europe.

[quote name='wvufan']I don't understand the purpose of their posts on Celebrity [/QUOTE]

This is one of many current threads about Celebrity going downhill. You don't find this negativity on any of the other forums I read regularly. So I thought I would suggest to the dissatisfied Celebrity cruisers that there are other choices, which they may have rejected in the past, that they could reconsider.

But I forgot, newbies are only allowed to post positive comments about Celebrity. [This is also not true on most other forums.]

[quote name='ghstudio']I already agreed with all your numbers....but Celebrity has chosen fares to cover all that with today's fare AND they are giving away the classic drink packages....which cost $49 a day. Instead of that, they could charge exactly the same and give away the ultimate dining package which only costs $29 a day. This wouldn't change the coverage of all those costs you list that have increased a bit....but it would provide a better on board experience for some passengers...more like modern luxury.

One could argue the marketing merits, the pluses and minuses of the classic drink package vs ultimate dining...but I, for one, would pick ultimate dining over the classic drink package...and I the cruise, for what it's worth, would seem more luxurious.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='cle-guy']Actually I think it would be awesome if they added a dining package as a PYP/123 option, I think many people might prefer it[/QUOTE]

This couldn't be done. It's hard enough to get Specialty Restaurant reservations on some sailing now. There simply aren't enough seats available of offer the dining package as part of a promotion.

For those who are dissatisfied with the MDR food, have you tried the very much improved buffet in the evening. You can get to order grilled beef, pork, chicken and salmon. Also there are many stations with a wonderful variety of options.

Certainly part of the items could be done....and if they can do them for $29 a night for the entire meal, what would flowers on the table cost in the MDR. Apparently for $29 a night, they can afford to have more waiters per table, so that could be added into the MDR for far less than $29 a night....I could go on. (BTW, I think part of that $29 is tips, so they provide all those extras for even less than $29 a night).

Obviously, they can't convert overnight to much large specialty restaurants...but if you look at their cost structure they should be able to add back some of those missing items (how about the (dessert tray) for very few $'s....not the many $100's of dollars folks are suggesting. Take the $300 cabin credit and make it $250....almost everyone gets it as a choice on 1-2-3...use that $50 to bring back some of those items that have been lost.

I'm suggesting there are alternatives....I'm suggesting Celebrity rebalance their offered perks (marketing) and focus a bit more on doing what they are claiming....add back some of that lost luxury...focus on making the offering meet it's new advertising slogan. It's a fine balance, but perhaps they have gone farther than some of us would have liked. Maybe there's a win/win here....maybe keep the activity staff, maybe keep the old aqua spa cafe...maybe compete based on what you offer than on price. Edited by ghstudio

There are choices. I went on Oceana and the food was outstanding. The the drawback was it was a small ship. Did not like the ship. Also went on NCL Getaway in March and was quite surprised on how good it was. Really enjoyed freestyle and the ship was state of the art. The ultimate dining package was well worth the 119 dollars extra and the food in the specialty restaurants was excellent. The shows were the best I've seen on ships. They really do a good job in entertainment. Way above Celebrity. The dinner magic show at 39 dollars was well worth the money. Let's face it folks cruising is changing. Look at RCCL on there new ship they putting in all kinds of places to eat at extra charge. NCL is one step ahead of them. For years I was afraid to try them and was I surprised. No longer will I pay attention to reviews. The cruiselines need to create more onboard spending and what's a better way to do it. They then can continue to keep prices low for the customers who don't want to spend extra. If you want quality your going to have to pay for it. If you don't care you won't starve. It's all about the money folks and choices.

[quote name='Host Jazzbeau']I am booked on those two Celebrity cruises because they have unique itineraries (Princess doesn't do 14-day Caribbean or Galapagos at all). We plan to sail on Island Princess (Coral's sister ship) when she transfers to Europe.

This is one of many current threads about Celebrity going downhill. You don't find this negativity on any of the other forums I read regularly. So I thought I would suggest to the dissatisfied Celebrity cruisers that there are other choices, which they may have rejected in the past, that they could reconsider.

But I forgot, newbies are only allowed to post positive comments about Celebrity. [This is also not true on most other forums.][/QUOTE]

Well I guess you don't read the other forums then because they are there. I also don't believe everything that I read on the CC boards but I guess some do. I tend to like to experience things for myself and form my own opinion but then I guess it's not as fun when you can't moan and groan about how bad thing are. ;) I also don't think any of us need to be told that there are other cruise lines out there. Most of us are smart enough to figure that out.

[quote name='ghstudio']

I'm suggesting there are alternatives....I'm suggesting Celebrity rebalance their offered perks (marketing) [B][I]and focus a bit more on doing what they are claiming.[/I][/B]...add back some of that lost luxury...focus on making the offering meet it's new advertising slogan. [/QUOTE]

One observation I have matches this somewhat. I think they have a real problem with CONSISTENCY and TRAINING of staff right now, and I think that leads to lots of the speculation here in thee boards about "I heard this from a crew member" or "I was told this by the CC host" etc.

I've heard people speculate well-trained staff is currently lacking due to the rapid growth and addition of the S class ships, but it's been 2 years almost since the last new ship was added, seems it should be settled in by now. I believe I even read a press article quoting Bayley as saying that was an issue, and they were holding off growth plans until things settle in and staff gets back to par. Of course RCI adding Quantum this fall will strain the corporate HR department again....

It's like X has no standard talking points and fails to notify ship-side staff (or ship side staff just don't pay attention) of changes, modifications, and the "company line" when it may apply. Or even when to tell staff something is secret and not public information. I've worked in publicly traded companies, and have signed so many SEC required documents about corporate secrecy and about not disseminating inside company information and how it can lead to termination and even SEC fines and jail time if it turned out to be a major issue. Silence is golden when working for a traded company.

It seems almost like they have no concept of a staff meeting. Or employee bulletin board.

[quote name='ghstudio']maybe keep the old aqua spa cafe...[/QUOTE]

Is this going away?...I hadn't heard of this, (I've actually never eaten their always forgetting it's there)

[quote name='cle-guy']Actually I think it would be awesome if they added a dining package as a PYP/123 option, I think many people might prefer it.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Oville']This couldn't be done. It's hard enough to get Specialty Restaurant reservations on some sailing now. There simply aren't enough seats available of offer the dining package as part of a promotion.
[/QUOTE]

I completely agree: :D

[quote name='cle-guy']Actually I think it would be awesome if they added a dining package as a PYP/123 option, I think many people might prefer it.

But the margins on drinks are far better than food and [B][I][COLOR="Red"]don't see it happening, otherwise the specialties would become deluged, and cause a different problem.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ghstudio']

Take the $300 cabin credit and make it $250....almost everyone gets it as a choice on 1-2-3...use that $50 to bring back some of those items that have been lost.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing the majority pick the drink package over the OBC and only cruises of 10 nights or longer get the $300.

[quote name='cruisingator2']Well I guess you don't read the other forums then because they are there. I also don't believe everything that I read on the CC boards but I guess some do. I tend to like to experience things for myself and form my own opinion but then I guess it's not as fun when you can't moan and groan about how bad thing are. ;) I also don't think any of us need to be told that there are other cruise lines out there. Most of us are smart enough to figure that out.[/quote]
You are so correct, instead of listening to the negativity on here, one should experience for themselves.

I hope scubamommy! doesn't mind me re-posting her post from her review, but it says it so well: [I]We LOVED every minute of that cruise and it almost brings tears to my eyes when I think its over. Nice to have a future cruise booked indeed! [B]I learned that in no way whatsoever that what is said on these boards hold true for everyone.[/B] I learned a great many things from these boards prior to this cruise and am sooooo grateful to all of you who helped me. There are many happy people wanting nothing to do but help, and I can’t thank you enough for that. [B]But there are a few complaining and wanting to bring you down to their miserable level. Don’t fall for it and don’t believe it! Go and enjoy every minute of your cruise. Make it what you want it to be.[/B] The crew and staff on board the Connie were just fabulous and willing to do just about anything they can to make your trip wonderful. If you come across one you don’t care for, then move on to the next place, because they will be better at the next place! If you try something you don’t care for then order something else because it will be better than the last. [B]If you meet someone who is complaining, kindly excuse yourself because why listen to it anyway![/B] Go out and ENJOY! We certainly DID[/I]!

I'm not sure how many cruises scubamommy! has been on, but thank goodness she didn't listen to the complainers and was able to have a fantastic cruise on Celebrity with her family. I remember when I joined cruise critic, when someone new would say something terrible, because they had a bad experience, about Celebrity, the “old timers” (not age related, but number of times they cruised on Celebrity), would tell them if they don’t like it, go to another cruise line. But now the positions seem to be reversed, the newcomers are the ones who have the more positive outlook on Celebrity and many of the “old timers” seem to find just about everything wrong with celebrity and it seemed to have really gotten bad after the Captain’s Club changes; it really makes one wonder if the two are related, I think they are. Edited by NLH Arizona

[quote name='Oville']This couldn't be done. It's hard enough to get Specialty Restaurant reservations on some sailing now. There simply aren't enough seats available of offer the dining package as part of a promotion.

[/quote]
I believe I read where Crystal (who has way less passengers that any Celebrity ship) is having problems because when they went all-inclusive, the specialty restaurants were included in that. I thought someone said that they now charge a reservation fee (I think it is $30) for anyone wanting to book additional nights (you can go once without reservation fee for 7 night cruise and twice for a 14 day cruise), because people were only eating in the specialty restaurants and there were not enough seats for everyone that wanted to go.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']I remember when I joined cruise critic, when someone new would say something terrible, because they had a bad experience, about Celebrity, the “old timers” (not age related, but number of times they cruised on Celebrity), would tell them if they don’t like it, go to another cruise line. But now the positions seem to be reversed, the newcomers are the ones who have the more positive outlook on Celebrity and many of the “old timers” seem to find just about everything wrong with celebrity and it seemed to really got bad after the Captain’s Club changes; it really makes one wonder if the two are related, I think they are.[/QUOTE]

A very insightful observation, I too feel Like I've experienced the same.

I think the "old timers" based on number of cruises were probably generally booking lower level cabins and enjoying the same loyalty recognition as those in premium cabins who were paying a premium price. And why not! The more often we cruise the more we want to the less money we have left to spend on extra cruses therefore we have to take cheap cabins to cruise more often....

Then those numbers of elites started to grow too quickly and make the benefits start to lose their meaning when a ship has half its passengers trying to go to an elite function no one is special anymore and the non elites start to look like the winners not being stuck in crowded elite gatherings! Like when the suite and VIP check in lines are 2 x longer than the normal lines....

Then the cruise lines realized the loyalty program was no longer needed to fill the ships, they are filling themselves these days, so now it's time to change the significance of loyalty to the cruisers spending more, which provide a larger margin than other cruisers and cabins, much like Airlines are starting to do next year with their programs.

Certainly it sucks when something's taken away from you, but in this case it seems to me it leveled the playing field and is a decision made to enhance profitability. X may find it better to keep 1 suite guest happier than 10 inside cabin guests. 1/10th the work and effort with the same bottom line effect. Makes business sense to me...to the extent that the occupancy rates which have been over 100% the last 2 years at least from the SEC 10k filings don't fall back.

If occupancy stays the same (and cabin fare revenue is the same or better) then the new captain's club program will be a HUGE success for X, keeping full ships, and limiting higher tier elite benefits to a more manageable group.

It will prove that the "loyal returning" guests are not all created equal when it comes to profitability, much to the dismay of all those who bang on about "I've cruised 25 times (in insides on TA's) and think X is wrong to not reward my loyalty the same as those in the Penthouse on a European sailing".

X would much rather carter to the returning loyal suite or premium cabin guest these days to drive revenue increases, than the returning loyal inside cabin guest just to make them another elite in the ranks. That's just the way it is. Classism some may say, but it's just the truth.