Has Celebrity gone down hill since the new CEO took over?

Fixit2010

The prices you quoted are per person, not per cabin. I looked at 2015 Europe Sky suite pricing as well as 2016 Europe and other than the transatlantics they are the prices I quoted.

Sky suite prices for " most " cruises on Solstice ships, especially for European destinations are almost $1000 per cabin per night. ( other than transatlantics in 2016 which we've booked ). This is a 50% increase from what we paid in 2013 and 2014 ( roughly $650$ per night ).

My point is that it's difficult to justify paying 50% more for a product unless it's vastly improved ( suite restaurant ) given what the marketplace currently offers for the same price.

IMO Celebrity is the best mid level cruise line, that's why I'm Elite +. It isn't a premium luxury line, and it would have to become one to justify that pricing.

That's why we are paying roughly $800-1000 per night, but to sail on Oceania and Seabourn.

Michael Bayley is trying to change that by focusing on improving the higher end cruising experience on Celebrity, I hope he succeeds!

I believe it was recently announced that Michael Bayley is no longer

part of Celebrity.....he has gone over to Royal and someone named

Lisa (I cannot recall her last name) has taken over as CEO of Celebrity.

So Michael's focus will not be on X.

Caribbean 2017 $354, Asia next month $252, Baltic cruise 2016 $528 All sky suite prices! Which ones are you looking at? This is also in CND $'s as well.

I am not an expert on interpreting exchange rates, but I don't think the rates compared to USD are that different. I cannot imagine a sky suite for $354. Can you be more specific about sailings please. If there is such a deal I will log on right now and book it! On all of our sailings (and others I have researched when considering trips) the last couple of years, prices for similar cabins and sailings have increased sometimes as much as double what we paid a few years ago. I have not seen sky suite prices under $1500 or so (minimum and usually higher) for a weekly cruise in years.

Edited by phoenix_dream

I am not an expert on interpreting exchange rates, but I don't think the rates compared to USD are that different. I cannot imagine a sky suite for $354. Can you be more specific about sailings please. If there is such a deal I will log on right now and book it! On all of our sailings (and others I have researched when considering trips) the last couple of years, prices for similar cabins and sailings have increased sometimes as much as double what we paid a few years ago. I have not seen sky suite prices under $1500 or so (minimum and usually higher) for a weekly cruise in years.

Check post 245.

I see the cruise pricing post has been clarified.

In response to the original question, it is my opinion that for the mid-level cruiser (AQ or below) the cruise experience has in fact declined somewhat overall, particularly since the merge with RCI. For a time it seemed to me like Celebrity had an identity crisis, as to who it should be appealing to. For now at least, that decision is clearly suite level cruisers under 50 years old (and preferably under 40 years old to build the base). The vast majority of the positive changes have, IMHO, been designed to attract that group, sometimes at the expense of other groups. When one notes such changes on these boards, one is accused of being a complainer, never being satisfied, not able to accept change and the denigrations go on and on. But facts are facts. Years ago Celebrity used to provide a just-short-of-premium experience for a mid-level price. It was of course too good to be true to expect that to last forever, and it is now changing. While I can understand the business reasons behind it, I don't like that change; no sane person would. But at the same time (so far!) Celebrity is still providing a very nice cruise for the money (at mid-level pricing) and so I intend to stick with the brand. I am finding, though, that the pricing is going up and up and up and the changes for mid-level cruisers are not, so whether that continues will determine my loyalty in the future.

One common note I see is that people seem to think the entertainment is spotty and a bit lackluster. I really think Celebrity needs to look at this. I am 50 and the diversity and shear quantity of entertainment I have been exposed to compared to my parents generation is huge. Celebrity better keep that firmly in mind when planning shows and entertainment in general. I find very boring much of what my parents would consider good...and although I am 50 and just (maybe) starting to slow down a bit, my generation was weaned on ROCK not the big bands.

Yes--I'm 69 and from the rock/Beatles generation--not into big bands either. Some of the entertainers on our recent Eclipse cruise were a tad too, umm, 'over the hill'. Entertainment is going to have to change for the Baby Boomers who were born in the 40's and 50's, and of a different era than a lot of the headliners on our cruise, not to mention the 'young' cruisers 50 and younger.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I believe it was recently announced that Michael Bayley is no longer

part of Celebrity.....he has gone over to Royal and someone named

Lisa (I cannot recall her last name) has taken over as CEO of Celebrity.

So Michael's focus will not be on X.

Good catch Lois!

Per Celebrity and Royal websites:

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

President and CEO Celebrity Cruises

and

Michael Bayley

President and CEO

Royal Caribbean International

Both were made as of December 2014.

Edited by shipshape sam

Good catch Lois!

Per Celebrity and Royal websites:

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

President and CEO Celebrity Cruises

and

Michael Bayley

President and CEO

Royal Caribbean International

Both were made as of December 2014.

Hi Sam, the announcement came last month (I think).....so it is no

longer Bayley's call or responsibility about what type of cruising

experience Celebrity will be, or not be......Lisa will have to decide

what changes (if any) she thinks are necessary......I wonder if she

has ever tried to use the website:eek:

Thanks LoisR for the update on Celebrity's CEO changes. Although we are Elite We haven't sailed with Celebrity in over 6 years. I am booked on Millie in March 2015 and we will be heading to Asia with a great itinerary. I don't have a lot of expectations for the service/food/entertainment on Millie so I won't be disappointed.

Marion

Hi Sam, the announcement came last month (I think).....so it is no

longer Bayley's call or responsibility about what type of cruising

experience Celebrity will be, or not be......Lisa will have to decide

what changes (if any) she thinks are necessary......I wonder if she

has ever tried to use the website:eek:

I would think as CEO of RCCL, Bayley will still have a lot of say in what goes on with the Celebrity brand and it's brand identity. Lisa may have a lot of latitude, but it seems the CEO of the parent gets a voice.

That said...two years ago I sailed on constellation, and wrote an extensive letter to Celebrity about what I thought about their failure to live up to their brand promise (was surprised there was no follow up...provided very specific examples - good and bad). Many small service mis-cues, and some food quality issues (plus, even after a soltiscization, the ship was shabby in places). Decided to give them another chance in 2013, and the experience was dramatically improved. I am sure the change was partially due to the new AQ cabins and Blu (both were great) and the energy that Capt Tassos brought to the ship' as well as the second solsticization cleaned up a lot of the shabbiness. Had such a great time on the cruise, booked the 1/24/15 sailing while on-board. So...we'll see how it goes in a couple of weeks. One thing I am looking for are some menu changes in Blu. Food is always great there, but have seen some repeat dishes over a few years.

I would think as CEO of RCCL, Bayley will still have a lot of say in what goes on with the Celebrity brand and it's brand identity. Lisa may have a lot of latitude, but it seems the CEO of the parent gets a voice .

Bayley is the CEO of the cruiseline RCI not the CEO of the parent company, RCCL. I believe Richard Fain wears that hat.

Sorry but Richard Fain's title is Chairman and CEO of RCCL. Adam Goldstein is President and COO of RCCL.

Lois and Rich, that comment was ridiculous; pure political nonsense.

Not sure why you are sorry, but my comments are correct. They did not list all corporate titles/positions

My guess is that to get promoted to the parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd, the route goes through the largest of the operating companies, Royal Caribbean International of which Michael Bayley is President and CEO.

Adam Goldstein is President of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd with Richard Fain being Chairman.

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo is President of Celebrity Cruises

Royal Caribbean was founded in 1968 as a partnership. Its corporate structure evolved over the years and the current parent corporation, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., was incorporated on July 23, 1985 in the Republic of Liberia under the Business Corporation Act of Liberia. We are the world's second largest cruise company. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd owns Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Club Cruises, CDF Croisières de France and a 50% joint venture interest in TUI Cruises as of sometime in 2013.