Eastern Caribbean Excursions

We are booked on the 3/18/15 Caribbean cruise on the Navigator and would love feedback as to some of the excursions offered. Currently I am interested in the dolphin or seal encounter in Nassau, horseback riding in San Juan, the semi-submersible in St. Bart's and swimming with the stringrays in Antigua. Still undecided about St. Lucia and St.Maarten we're just going to Maho Beach. Has anyone done any of these excursions and if so, thoughts?

Barb

the dolphin thing was ok, you are in a pen, ok, a pool, with two dolphins

they do give you a chance to upgrade when you swim and play with them

without the upgrade you get to touch them and they will kiss you and splash water on you

I did the hike in San Juan but I've done horseback on other islands and it was fun

St Barts we walked to the beach by the airport so we could see the planes come at us but sounds like you are going to see the jets come at you on St Martin. But, if Americas cup is offered in St Martin, you should do it. A Fantastic! excursion.

In Nassau there are indeed two dolphins...and they are huge, and kind of cute. The handlers talk to them from behind you. The water is very cold, and dolphins are like us and go to the bathroom in the water. I got an infection and so did one of my friends.

In St. Barts, I would be hard pressed to go anywhere other than sit on the dock..go through the adorable French boutiques with fabulous clothing and just sit in an open bistro and have bread and cheese and a great drink. My husband ordered a Seabreeze and it was PERFECT. St. Barts is a place he could have left me! LOL

I have not done some of the other stuff you have listed.

We were just on the Navigator from 22 Mar-1 Apr on their Eastern Caribbean itinerary. As far as tours go:

- Nassau Dolphin Encounter: You take a scenic 30-40 minute boat ride to an island past Paradise Island where you are divided into groups. You will go into the water (cold!!!) and take turns to get a picture with the dolphing kissing your cheek, hugging, kissing, rubbing his belly, touching teeth, and dancing. It all seemed a little rushed and went by pretty quickly but worth it if it's your first dolphing experience. Afterwards, we wandered arounfd waiting for the other group to finish, was offered a DVD for about 50 bucks, and hopped on the next ferry. We were back in town by 1130. Some groups had two doplhins and others had one. No offered an upgrade to swim with them.

San Juan: Never rode horses there, but always found a bar in Old San Juan and had a few ice cold Medalla Light beers.

St. Bart's: I really enjoyed the semisubmersible, but DW got queasy and had to go topside. We were able to see lots of fish, turtles, and two sharks while looking at a shipwreck. Again, if you've never done it before, then worth filling the square.

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Yes, yes, if the America's Cup is offered in St. Martin!! Have actually done it 3 times! You don't have to be a great sailor to do it as they'll teach you what you need to know. However the crew is dead set on winning your match. No holds bared! It's a shame that the real America's Cup has gotten so far away from what 95% of the actively sailing public does.

The St. Martin's cup race is a great chance to feel some speed and participate on actual AC boats.........

Definitely agree on the America's cup excursion. It is great. I was the mainsail trimmer, and it was a bit overwhelming at first. But I caught on, and the captain told me I did really well (unlike the other sail trimmer who he yelled at the whole time--yikes--but she definitely was not paying attention, and trimming the sails is really important, especially when tacking. At least, I had had a little previous experience as we used to own a sailboat.

Another "yes" for the America's Cup races. We've done it twice and it's really a lot of fun. I've sailed my entire life and sailing on a 12 meter was still a thrill. Although.....beware of the grinders! It was windy and I was afraid I was going to lose a few fingers!

We do Regent's Eastern Caribbean cruise in November. Might someone comment on the large dock crowds they experienced first-hand when the Mega-ships are in port together? I am also wondering how the few Navigator cruisers hold their own with the crowds when the competing for tour bus seats and other excursions? I am specifically interested in the Sint Maarten port.:confused:

Yes, yes, if the America's Cup is offered in St. Martin!! Have actually done it 3 times! You don't have to be a great sailor to do it as they'll teach you what you need to know. However the crew is dead set on winning your match. No holds bared! It's a shame that the real America's Cup has gotten so far away from what 95% of the actively sailing public does.

The St. Martin's cup race is a great chance to feel some speed and participate on actual AC boats.........

Mudhen: Other than the yacht race at Sint Maarten, have you encountered issues with the large crowds when the large cruise ships are in port?

We personally love St. Martin Dutch side. Something about doing the shops on the main drag and then walking about 100 feet and putting your feet in the ocean! I think they've worked pretty hard on the infra structure since our first time there, probably 30 years ago. Yes, it's now somewhat sanitized, but still fun. Prices are more reasonable on everything (from beer to booze) than St. Thomas. Even when a full slate of ships are in, it doesn't seem as crowded as St. Thomas, to me, anyway.

St. Martin, French side. I've only been there once. It was a pretty good cab ride and the traffic was terrible. GREAT food over there and some nude beaches which neither my husband or myself were in shape (literally!) for, although I like the idea! hahaha!

In general it's an island I don't get tired of..........

We personally love St. Martin Dutch side. Something about doing the shops on the main drag and then walking about 100 feet and putting your feet in the ocean! I think they've worked pretty hard on the infra structure since our first time there, probably 30 years ago. Yes, it's now somewhat sanitized, but still fun. Prices are more reasonable on everything (from beer to booze) than St. Thomas. Even when a full slate of ships are in, it doesn't seem as crowded as St. Thomas, to me, anyway.

St. Martin, French side. I've only been there once. It was a pretty good cab ride and the traffic was terrible. GREAT food over there and some nude beaches which neither my husband or myself were in shape (literally!) for, although I like the idea! hahaha!

In general it's an island I don't get tired of..........

It sounds like I'm missing something good. We've gotten off the ship in St. Martin twice and walked around. The port is nice but we didn't know there was a French side. Do buses go there or only cabs? Do you recall the approximate cost to take a cab to the side with great food and reasonable prices? We'll be there later this year. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked on the 3/18/15 Caribbean cruise on the Navigator and would love feedback as to some of the excursions offered. Currently I am interested in the dolphin or seal encounter in Nassau, horseback riding in San Juan, the semi-submersible in St. Bart's and swimming with the stringrays in Antigua. Still undecided about St. Lucia and St.Maarten we're just going to Maho Beach. Has anyone done any of these excursions and if so, thoughts?

Barb

Great for you.

Edited by 2old4this