Hi all, we are new to cruising....

Next year will be our first ever cruise, first of many hopefully! We have booked a three day cruise on Enchantment of the seas for September 2015, deck four room 4546. If anyone could give us some first cruise tips and any reviews on this deck/room, we would be most grateful!

Sailing will be myself, my husband and two daughters aged 15 and 17. We are not big drinkers but enjoy the odd cocktail, is it worth buying the drinks package for the cocktails or just buy as we go? Thank you in advance for any information!

Next year will be our first ever cruise, first of many hopefully! We have booked a three day cruise on Enchantment of the seas for September 2015, deck four room 4546. If anyone could give us some first cruise tips and any reviews on this deck/room, we would be most grateful!

Sailing will be myself, my husband and two daughters aged 15 and 17. We are not big drinkers but enjoy the odd cocktail, is it worth buying the drinks package for the cocktails or just buy as we go? Thank you in advance for any information!

I dont believe the package is available on 3 night cruises :o If you just enjoy a cocktail once in a while you are better of just paying by the drink in my honest opinion.

I dont believe the package is available on 3 night cruises :o If you just enjoy a cocktail once in a while you are better of just paying by the drink in my honest opinion.

Thank you, thats one thing on my list sorted! Do you know if the soda package is available for our daughters on the three day cruise? Sorry i am clueless when it comes to cruises!

Thank you, thats one thing on my list sorted! Do you know if the soda package is available for our daughters on the three day cruise? Sorry i am clueless when it comes to cruises!

Yes, the soda package is available on 3 night cruises. Since they are younger than 18, their cost would be $4.50 per day, plus 15%. There are at least Coke Freestyle machines on Enchantment that they can use with the soda package.

Edited by clarea

Yes, the soda package is available on 3 night cruises. Since they are younger than 18, their cost would be $4.50 per day, plus 15%. There are at least Coke Freestyle machines on Enchantment that they can use with the soda package.

Thank you, and thank you for your help.

Welcome to CC, RCI and cruising! Best vacation values according to my DH. I concur the drink packages are on the longer cruise.

Don't over pack clothes and take more money. Use the compass to decide what you want to do the next day. Use this as an opportunity to try foods you might never try at home. They will give you more than one entrée, dessert, etc!

I want to get on early so the vacation can begin and dislike when I have to get off early to end the vacation! Enjoy and check back so we know you had a great time!

Welcome to CC, RCI and cruising! Best vacation values according to my DH. I concur the drink packages are on the longer cruise.

Don't over pack clothes and take more money. Use the compass to decide what you want to do the next day. Use this as an opportunity to try foods you might never try at home. They will give you more than one entrée, dessert, etc!

I want to get on early so the vacation can begin and dislike when I have to get off early to end the vacation! Enjoy and check back so we know you had a great time!

Thank you for the tips! We are parking onsite and leaving most of our clothes in our cases, just going to take one case between us. We have got a two week stay in orlando after the cruise. Looking at staying at the hilton cocoa beach the night before the cruise.

Since there are four of you in the room, your husband can escape the pre-dinner dressing confusion by showering in the gym if he wishes (I know I would if I was in a room with three females:p). Although the alcoholic drink package is not available on 3 day cruises, note that the price is equal to about 6-7 drinks, so "the odd cocktail" would probably not make it worthwhile.

ENJOY your cruise

Thom

Take a highlighter pen. you can highlight the activities you want to do the next day on your cruise compass and it will help you keep up with what activities the kiddos are involved in. also a little magnetic dry erase board is nice to leave notes for each other if you are doing different things during the day. cabins aren't open until 1 pm usually so if you guys want to swim, take swim suits, sunblock, etc in a carry on and you can swim as soon as your get there if you want! If I think of anything else, i will add more later. :)

Thank you for the tips! We are parking onsite and leaving most of our clothes in our cases, just going to take one case between us. We have got a two week stay in orlando after the cruise. Looking at staying at the hilton cocoa beach the night before the cruise.

A lot of the hotels offer a shuttle. You might want to make that a priority if you are staying anyway.

I know the Radisson does because we use their Park Port Canaveral service (we live in Orlando) when we cruise.

A 3-night cruise costs:

$60 to park at the port

$30 to park at their facility

That's a bargain and it's fenced, gated 24-hours.

Country Inn & Suites (next door to the Raddison) offers a package for park and sail too. Free parking during the cruise, free shuttle to the port and back and free breakfast. We've stayed there and really liked it.

Print out the deck plans for the ship - especially the decks with the public areas - study them before you go and you'll become accustomed to the ship faster and not waste time wandering around lost :D:D

The port is easy (nearby) to get to. There are resturants on the south side of the ship basin where you might want to go the evening before you sail. We especially like "Fish Lips" which has good food and outside deck seating as well as indoors seating if the weather is poor. The webcam is located there. (google "webcam Port Canaveral"). If you get there early enough you can watch the ships from that day sail away right past you :)

You can carry on 2- 750ml bottles of wine onto RCCL ships to drink in your cabin. We do that and carry a cheap corkscrew with us or the cabin steward can loan you one :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic ... be ready to become "Hooked on Cruising"

1st timers - very exciting. I looked up pics of this type of room on cruiselinerooms. This will be a tight space for 4. Might want to schedule your times to get ready for dinner. Pack light and try to share anything you can. Closet and bathroom storage is very limited. Keep your valuables at home - short cruises are a more casual crowd. Bring travel size toiletries, sunsceen, etc. if possible. These items are expensive onboard.

Enjoy

My advice is quite simple....cancel the short cruise and book a 7 night...you will wish you had:D

I agree! Spend a week at sea and a week in Orlando. The best of both worlds.

Have a wonderful time. Betting you will be back!

Hi there!

Cruise Critic has a whole section dedicated to first-timers: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/.

You probably already know this, but cash isn't generally used onboard. Your room key will double as your onboard payment method for everything. You might want to take lanyards or wristlets to keep your cards close. You'll need them every time you leave your cabin.

Also be sure to turn your phones on airplane mode or shut them off completely. You'll be charged a fortune in roaming fees if you leave them on during the sailing.

Bring some magnets. The walls in your cabin are made of metal, and with limited space, you can organize daily schedules and all sorts of fliers that are handed out by the cruise line by hanging them up.

Have a GREAT time! :)

I was on the Enchantment not long ago. It is an older ship and doesn't have the bells and whistles of the larger classes but we enjoyed it. It also does a 4 day. If that is not an option - remember the cabins are small especially for 4. Someone once said - pack your suitcase and take out half of what you put in. I would leave my Orlando clothes in a different suitcase in the car. the suitcases will fit under the beds which helps. talk small sizes of toiletries. share what you can. Most of the time you are wearing bathing suit and coverup. My first few cruises I took everything but the kitchen sink and never used most of what I brought. Don't forget a sweater. But most of all relax and enjoy. Luggage does not arrive immediately so carry a small backpack with bathing suit. Park Cafe was open for lunch the first day if you don't want to face the crowds in Windjammer.

Be afraid, be very afraid!! My wife and I went on our first cruise ever last year on Enchantment of the seas. To say we were hooked is an understatement. Next cruise Brilliance of the seas nov, 2014. Independence of the seas oct, 2015. Don't try to resist it won't work. Welcome!! to the wonderful world of cruising. Enjoyyyyy.

Thank you all for your very valubale tips, they are much appreciated. I have been watching youtube clips, i suspect this is going to be the start of a new addiction! :)

I don't suspect, I know. I was a reluctant cruiser on my first trip. After that, I seem to be continually counting down the days to the next!

Just remember, go with an open mind and an understanding that perfection does not exist. Don't let anything small become something big and you will have a great time.

When they tell you boarding time is 3:00, show up at 11 and have lunch onboard. You can get in cabin after 1. Don't bother with any of the jewelry hype. Not sure about short cruises, but they sell T-shirts cheaper a day before docking. Don't bother with gift shop. Find a bartender to make friends with. They will take care of you. Enjoy!