Changes to RCCL Internet Packages

Good afternoon all,

I am currently on board the Adventure of the Seas. The Internet packages seemed to have changed. I heard about unlimited packages being offered, but had not seen it myself.

I attached a picture of the the new plan...but I'm guessing it changes based on the number of nights. This is for a four nighter:

Unlimited (two devices simultaneously) $130

Unlimited (one device at a time) $95

Daily (24 hours in a row) $50

One hour (used throughout cruise) $30

The discounts are applied, so with the D+ coupon I bought the unlimited one device for $65. Not too bad.

D+ are being told to choose the one hour option...so we/they are getting an extra 15 minutes.

I asked the concierge and he says these new packages are very new and he doesn't think it's on all the ships yet, and he doesn't know what the roll out plan is.

So what say you cruise critic? What ships have you seen the unlimited Internet packages on? How does it work with the longer sailings? What prices have you seen on 7 night sailings? 11-12 night sailings?

image.jpg.5ecd6d6396d54f67550803a133d60f09.jpg

So what say you cruise critic? What ships have you seen the unlimited Internet packages on? How does it work with the longer sailings? What prices have you seen on 7 night sailings? 11-12 night sailings?

Unlimited internet packages have been on Allure, Oasis, and I believe Navigator. The last price I saw was something like $190 for 7 days, one device.

Is there wireless internet all over Adventure now, or do you still have to go to hotspots?

Unlimited internet packages have been on Allure, Oasis, and I believe Navigator. The last price I saw was something like $190 for 7 days, one device.

Is there wireless internet all over Adventure now, or do you still have to go to hotspots?

Yes there is Internet everywhere. I haven't lost signal at all yet.

I really hope they have they have the unlimited package on the Serenade when I do it in October.

I really hope they have they have the unlimited package on the Serenade when I do it in October.

Thanks for reporting back. It's nice to know they installed the pervasive wireless. Enjoy your cruise!:)

Great news, thanks. I'm on the TA on 20th and want unlimited access, as long as the wifi is available all over. Last time I was on Adventure I could only get access at Cafe Promenade. Will be interesting to see the pricing on a 14 night sailing.

I had unlimited internet on Independence of the Seas last month as well.

When we were on the Indy last week these look the same. Plus there is no by the minute option that I could find. The least amount was the 1 hour option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Almost more important than price is speed. It can be so slow it's unusable at times, I can only imagine if everyone stays logged in at once on their phones for emails, texts, photos, even video....

Anyone do speed tests? Or can comment having used it a lot in the cruise?

Does anyone know how the D+ coupon works if you buy an unlimited package? Do they credit your account with the value of the coupon . If they are insisting you take the one hour free credit, then it makes it worthless if you are paying the whole amount for unlimited anyway.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Does anyone know how the D+ coupon works if you buy an unlimited package? Do they credit your account with the value of the coupon . If they are insisting you take the one hour free credit, then it makes it worthless if you are paying the whole amount for unlimited anyway.

On Brilliance, the free minutes were available automatically at the start of day 2, but we didn't buy a package to get our discount. However, last year on Allure we got the unlimited package and just got our discount. As you say, no point in free minutes if you buy an unlimited package.

While on Oasis last month I purchased the unlimited package for two devices which on Oasis cost $229 for the week. I purchased it the first few hours on the ship and it was charged to my account. I am D+ so the coupon amount was 25% off and within a day or two that amount appeared as a credit to my shipboard account.

On the Adventure, you have to create an account before you buy any package (not just wi-fi). Once you create an account, they know who you are and apply the discount right away. Even when the package options are listed it the says "$## with crown and anchor discount." I purchased the unlimited package with in a few hours of sail away.

Your thinking is right on.

During my last cruise on Independence, I received a sheet describing what coupons I had available. I had two internet coupons listed, one for the free hour (or $29.95 off a package) and another one listed for 20% off a package. It turned out that the 20%-off coupon was in error and shouldn't have been listed.

I signed up for the free hour to try out the internet and then later signed up for a package, figuring I had coupons for both, but that didn't work as planned because of the error. If I had realized I had only the one coupon, I would simply have signed up for the unlimited package with the $29.95 discount.

(I did contact RCI afterward and get the 20% credited to my credit card due to the error. Guest Services claimed that they would take care of it, but they failed to do so during the cruise.)

Edited by Daghis

As an earlier poster said - what about the speed?

From my on-board experience the free hour is great but only gives you enough time to look at one or two pages as you wait for the network to respond.

If everyone is on unlimited time I suspect this will only get worse.

Any have experience to share?

From my on-board experience the free hour is great but only gives you enough time to look at one or two pages as you wait for the network to respond.

On Navigator a representative told us to wait until the next port day, because internet speed would be slow when everyone was online at sea.

Thank you for all the replies to my question about the coupon/package. I'm glad it's a discount rather than minutes, means we can consider getting the package. We've not been onboard since they introduced the new packages. Presumably we can buy a package for 2 devices but each log on individually. Curious as to how much the package will cost for 14 nights - we board in a little over a week so we will find out then. :)

And that is the problem.

Great if you have purchased unlimited, but if you have only purchased one hour, or have free minutes it is wasted while waiting for pages to download.

The packages should be in MB of data rather than time.

Disney Cruises Internet Packages are changing to Data Packages. Ranging from 25c per MB down to 19c per MB if you buy a package.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2014/01/disney-cruise-line-internet-packages-changing-to-data-packages/

Edited by icsys

Your thinking is right on.

During my last cruise on Independence, I received a sheet describing what coupons I had available. I had two internet coupons listed, one for the free hour (or $29.95 off a package) and another one listed for 20% off a package. It turned out that the 20%-off coupon was in error and shouldn't have been listed.

I signed up for the free hour to try out the internet and then later signed up for a package, figuring I had coupons for both, but that didn't work as planned because of the error. If I had realized I had only the one coupon, I would simply have signed up for the unlimited package with the $29.95 discount.

(I did contact RCI afterward and get the 20% credited to my credit card due to the error. Guest Services claimed that they would take care of it, but they failed to do so during the cruise.)

What is the unlimited price? Is it the price that was posted, or the higher price that they charge on Allure and oasis? How was the speed?

Unlimited internet was $189.95 for one concurrent device, $229.95 for two. The lower prices posted in the OP were reflective of it being a shorter cruise.

The speed was okay. I was able to use Skype (video) to call home, and my e-mail and web surfing worked just fine, too.

Unlimited internet was $189.95 for one concurrent device, $229.95 for two. The lower prices posted in the OP were reflective of it being a shorter cruise.

The speed was okay. I was able to use Skype (video) to call home, and my e-mail and web surfing worked just fine, too.

How many days was that for please?

People talk about Royals internet but none of then know how to do a SPEED check. I was on Adventure in June 3013 and was getting around 5mbs not to bad but when you are used to 60 to 100 mbs it is very slow.