Going to go outside my box and try Princess...

canadianbear

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, suggestions, hints, etc!

I am already taking back my "not impressed" about having to fax the proof of CCL stocks in-I went to Staples and paid to fax it (and it's the same price as snail mail and a LOT faster) and by the time I got home I had an e-mail from Princess showing the credit already...that is service!

I also have a couple other e-mails from them welcoming us as first time passengers on Princess with what I consider great stuff-a couple of videos of their dining areas and where places are, etc. I think that is great customer service to newbies. They also have links on just about everything you could imagine aboard the ship on these e-mails so very informative in my opinion.

We are not picky by any means so unless something disastrous happens I think we will be quite satisfied. I did book us in a mini-suite but no idea if the balcony is covered or not. Doesn't really matter (this time) as it's a short cruise and weather might or might not be nasty. (I'm just one that needs to know I could go on the balcony-little bit claustrophobic).

Thanks for the info on the Promenade deck-my husband won't be thrilled about that. :o I'm not going to tell him-he can find that out himself!

I don't want to start a smoking thread issue here but I was happy to be told they do not allow smoking on balconies on Princess but HAL still does.

I am hoping I like Princess-gives us more options for itineraries and change is the spice of life, right? :D

If your minisuite is on deck 8 Emerald it will be covered, if it is on deck 9 dolphin uncovered. Have a great cruise!

If your minisuite is on deck 8 Emerald it will be covered, if it is on deck 9 dolphin uncovered. Have a great cruise!

It is on Emerald! Thank you for that info....near the aft though. Only other choice was deck 9 dolphin near the front so I picked aft. Am glad I did.

It is on Emerald! Thank you for that info....near the aft though. Only other choice was deck 9 dolphin near the front so I picked aft. Am glad I did.

Those Emerald mini-suites are nice. Hope you enjoy Princess. Just keep in mind that all lines have differences -- some you may like better and some not as much. At the end of the day I'd rather have some differences than have everything be the same across all lines. Gives a little spice to life.

I just got back from my first Princess Cruise. I was the Grand Princess San Francisco to Hawaii. I found the entertainment better and the Sea days had more activities going n than Hal. Food was fair to good I would give a little edge to Hal on the food.

We had a plumbing problem on the ship and they had to turn part of the vacuum system off that operated the toilets. It lasted 12 hours. They gave everyone affected by it a $50.00 OBC and this was per person not just cabin.

I think you will like Princess.

Love those Emerald minisuites. Forgot to mention two other things. Your CCL shareholder obc can also be viewed on your Princess cruise personalizer,,just go to the payments and credits tab. Princess also offers Military OBC for active, retired, disabled and those with an honorable discharge. It's comparable to the shareholder credit and they can be combined.

My preference is princess. They are upgrading the beds and pillows fleet wide. Cross the board the entertainment and food beat HAL. Pax are more diverse and livelier. Speciality restaurants and service are similar. It's good to try other lines to see what you like. Enjoy!

We have only sailed on HAL ships and have been very satisfied. But, we would like to "branch" out and be able to compare and try another cruise line so decided to do baby steps. Booked the 5 day repositioning cruise from L.A. back to Vancouver on the Star Princess in early May.

Am I nervous-you bet. I like my comfort zone and am definitely stepping out of it. :eek:

We're just the opposite. We are Royal Caribbean cruisers and going outside our box and planning on trying Holland America early next year. Reading these boards I don't think we'll be disappointed.

The other thing we noticed was the constant announcements that we could hear everywhere - including when we were ashore. In all fairness, we have not sailed Princess in over 5 years so things might have changed.

We sailed two weeks ago (Caribbean Princess) and, no, things have not changed, except the constant announcements could be heard everywhere but where we were, which was in our cabin! This is not a bad thing, theoretically, but we would wonder what was being announced, get up and turn on the TV to try to get to the ship channel, or run to the passageway to hear the announcement, but by the time we got to the right TV channel or got out into the passageway, the announcement was over and we were altogether as clueless as we had been previously, just more out of breath and annoyed, wondering whether we had missed something important. No TV channel repeated the announcements.

Thanks for the info on the Promenade deck-my husband won't be thrilled about that. :o I'm not going to tell him-he can find that out himself!

:D

Keep in mind that on several (many?) Princess ships, the outside Promenade deck does "wrap-around," but it does so on two decks. In walking the Promenade, one goes up a flight of stairs at the bow, walks around, then descends the stairs on the other side in order to continue on the Promenade all the way around the stern and back to the bow stairs. Not really a problem unless you have, for example, bad knees, though some might find it a bit annoying.

Keep in mind that on several (many?) Princess ships, the outside Promenade deck does "wrap-around," but it does so on two decks. In walking the Promenade, one goes up a flight of stairs at the bow, walks around, then descends the stairs on the other side in order to continue on the Promenade all the way around the stern and back to the bow stairs. Not really a problem unless you have, for example, bad knees, though some might find it a bit annoying.

I do find it annoying. I have one bad knee and going down is worse than up. Then you have people that have to be right on your heels.

We sailed two weeks ago (Caribbean Princess) and, no, things have not changed, except the constant announcements could be heard everywhere but where we were, which was in our cabin! This is not a bad thing, theoretically, but we would wonder what was being announced, get up and turn on the TV to try to get to the ship channel, or run to the passageway to hear the announcement, but by the time we got to the right TV channel or got out into the passageway, the announcement was over and we were altogether as clueless as we had been previously, just more out of breath and annoyed, wondering whether we had missed something important. No TV channel repeated the announcements.

To be honest i didn't notice a lot of announcements but I did spend a lot of time in my room.

Adore HAL, love Cunard, Carnival with the kids is absolutely fine, but without a doubt just blown away by Princess. Admittedly it was one 8 day on CB and it was in a hurricane- we were the last ship to leave before they closed the port of NY and the cruise terminal parking lot was in flood zone A and CLOSED, AND the airports had shut down hours before- and this was all anticipated for days- so this led to a nice empty ship. Obviously the service was impeccable and I can't speak for how it would be during high passenger, high stress cruises, but...

The ship was sparkling. The crew was fantastic 24/7. The buffet was gorgeous and the food wonderful. The coffee bar and coffee card were very welcome for this non drinker. The kids club was not only amazing but my son is still in contact with other teens from that cruise and that was nearly three years and four cruises ago. The English voice from the bridge was very nice (my husband is English ;)). Walking around my impression was that I had never seen a cleaner or more beautiful ship.

We still talk about that being the best cruise we ever took and it will be our next cruise after the B2B on Carnival coming up.

I've been on three Princess cruises, one on HAL and another HAL cruise in the near future. Last cruise was on Caribbean Princess 4-5 years ago, so our experience is somewhat dated. I much prefer HAL to Princess. Better service, better atmosphere, just all in all a much better experience. We had to leave Sabatini's on Princess, as we waited and waited for service, the waiter was occupied with a large table, and we became somewhat invisible. Princess ships to me have a "sameness" about them (at least the ones we've been on). I suppose the same could be said with N. Amsterdam and Eurodam with HAL, but I just favor the HAL style. That being said, no cruise is a bad cruise!

We increasingly find that a ships, service, food, entertainment, and even friendliness is not especially indicative of the cruise line. There is much more variability today. We have had a perfect cruise on one cruise line's ship only to board another ship in the same fleet a few weeks later and have a different experience.

I believe that it is attributable to the cost cutting measures in the mass market lines. One thing that we do notice is that some of the cruise lines appear to be cutting back on ship maintenance (not cleanliness) more than others.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, suggestions, hints, etc!

I am already taking back my "not impressed" about having to fax the proof of CCL stocks in-I went to Staples and paid to fax it (and it's the same price as snail mail and a LOT faster) and by the time I got home I had an e-mail from Princess showing the credit already...that is service!

I also have a couple other e-mails from them welcoming us as first time passengers on Princess with what I consider great stuff-a couple of videos of their dining areas and where places are, etc. I think that is great customer service to newbies. They also have links on just about everything you could imagine aboard the ship on these e-mails so very informative in my opinion.

We are not picky by any means so unless something disastrous happens I think we will be quite satisfied. I did book us in a mini-suite but no idea if the balcony is covered or not. Doesn't really matter (this time) as it's a short cruise and weather might or might not be nasty. (I'm just one that needs to know I could go on the balcony-little bit claustrophobic).

I don't want to start a smoking thread issue here but I was happy to be told they do not allow smoking on balconies on Princess but HAL still does.

I am hoping I like Princess-gives us more options for itineraries and change is the spice of life, right? :D

I tried Princess last October. We didn't realize at the time but we got the promotion to refund the cost of our entire cruise credited back to us to use to book any 7 day cruise in 2014. So we booked a 10 day Sea of Cortez, mini-suite for less than a regular balcony. Their website is awesome, everything you need to know about your cruise is in your "My Princess" Captain Cirlce account. I've sailed RCCL, HAL, and Disney but Princess is now my cruise ship of choice. They put out a great product!

It's so good to hear everybody's opinions and thoughts-thank you so much! I'm very excited to try out a new cruise line-who would have thought. We are flying down the night before (there is no way I want to miss the ship) and staying close to the cruise ship terminal. Am really looking forward to 5 nights on the ship and exploring it.

tjcletsgo-that was quite a deal you got-amazing! Seago2-that sounds like quite an experience you had-glad it turned out so well.

Again, thanks everyone. May 4th can't come soon enough :)

It's so good to hear everybody's opinions and thoughts-thank you so much! I'm very excited to try out a new cruise line-who would have thought. We are flying down the night before (there is no way I want to miss the ship) and staying close to the cruise ship terminal. Am really looking forward to 5 nights on the ship and exploring it.

tjcletsgo-that was quite a deal you got-amazing! Seago2-that sounds like quite an experience you had-glad it turned out so well.

Again, thanks everyone. May 4th can't come soon enough :)

I couldn't believe it myself, I kept asking to speak with someone else at Princess because I've never heard of any cruiseline refunding your fee as a "good will" gesture as incentive to book another 7 day or longer cruise. Everyone on the ship got it and several sailings after. I'm sold, we had a great cruise and are really looking forward to 10 days at sea in a mini-suite!:D

I finally figured out why I'm yearning for another HAL cruise, even with their dining room staffing cutbacks, reports of maintenance issues, etc. My first Princess cruise in 36 years was great: ship was immaculate, crew was eager to please, public areas were gorgeous with something going on most of the time, minisuite was perfect; even the website and pre-cruise service was superior to HAL's. HOWEVER:

The shipboard experience is the difference. Princess's gargantuan ships are more like well-kept, fine hotels, with glitz and glamour. Even the floors are works of art, with mosaics and beautiful carpets. Their shops were gorgeous. My mouth was agape for the first few days, I will admit.

On board a Holland America ship, I know I'm on a ship, on the sea, and I can tie on my walking shoes and head for the wraparound Promenade Deck. I learn the deck plan easily and can get from Point A to Point B in my evening shoes with no pain. I don't cruise for the entertainment, and frankly don't care if HAL's shows get poor reviews compared to other lines. I like the Dutch touches that still remain, if you look for them.

Mrs M

• 4 weeks later...

I promised to come back and let you know how we made out on our first ever cruise that wasn't on Holland America. I decided to book this particular cruise which was 5 nights on the Star Princess mainly because I wanted to try a different cruise line and since we booked this cruise 3 weeks prior to it's departure it was a very good deal in our opinion. We started in Los Angeles, sea day, San Fransisco, sea day, Victoria and then final stop Vancouver.

We flew in the evening prior to the cruise and stayed at the Hilton Doubletree in San Pedro which provides a free shuttle to the cruise port and is very close by. We reserved SuperShuttle on line to provide us with the transportation from LAX to our hotel.

Two days before the cruise was to leave I received an e-mail from Princess advising that because of an increase in suspected cases of Norovirus they would be doing a prolonged and additional disinfection in Los Angeles which would delay the check-in and departure. In this e-mail they implemented a progressive check-in schedule and provided the time that each person was to embark depending on which deck your cabin was located on.

EMBARKATION:

This was the quickest and smoothest we have ever encountered-probably due to being assigned a specific time and later we found out that the ship was only half full. We had no wait whatsoever and could go directly to our cabin.

LIFE BOAT DRILL:

This was very different for us. You do not go outside to your lifeboat station but instead take your life jacket to your assigned area inside the ship-ours was one floor down in the Vista lounge. There the staff did a demonstration and then we all had to put on our lifejackets as well. Although it was very different for us it was comfortable and quiet and people were all paying attention. As you entered the lounge your key card was scanned so they knew who was there and who didn't show up.

ANYTIME DINING at Portofino: (Capri was closed and the set dining is at the Amalfi)

We had the choice when we booked and chose anytime dining. The only delay we had was the first night mainly because most stayed on deck for the sail away and then went for dinner. If you were willing to share a table there was maybe a 5-10 minute wait. We chose to share a table all evenings except the last one. That night we went early for dinner and

requested a table for two and were given that. (I must add here that I LOVED the NY cheesecake on the ship-on HAL I have never liked theirs).

HORIZON COURT (like the Lido on HAL) and other food type venues:

This was open daily from 5am-midnight. We were very impressed because we were used to HAL closing the Lido at certain times during the day. Dinner was actually available from 5:30-11:00pm. We did not try any pay restaurants.

We liked that they had a Sundaes Ice Cream Bar which was open 11am-11pm. They provide hard and soft ice cream which is included and also provide shakes which there is a nominal charge and were very good.

There was also a pizza bar open 11am-11pm and a Trident Grill which had hot dogs/hamburgers and open from 11am-11pm. Also afternoon tea was provided every day in the Portofino dining room and we attended once.

Similar to HAL's Exploration Cafe the Star Princess had the International Cafe which was open 24 hours a day. You paid for any special coffees (lattes etc) but the food was included at no charge.

BARS, CLUBS & LOUNGES:

We found there was much more things to do on this ship. We really enjoyed the Wheelhouse Bar that had great live music by Temp Quatro and many people dancing.

We also enjoyed the Skywalkers Nightclub which was on deck 18 aft and provided a fantastic view both during the day and night. This is not used during the day but you can sit and watch the seas from high up. It opens at 10pm.

ENTERTAINMENT:

Like HAL this ship has the Princess Singers and Dancers. However, they perform every night and the show is not very long. (maybe 40-45 minutes?) Although I enjoyed their performance I found the singers better on HAL.

We also had comedian Steve Bruner who was excellent. Also Master Juggle Mike Price who was also excellent.

There were many other venues which I won't go into here. We checked out daily "Princess Patter" to decide what we wanted to do or see.

GENERAL COMMENTS:

I missed the towel animals that HAL does-call me silly but I really like them. We found the beds extremely hard on this ship-really missed the wonderful beds on HAL where we sleep like babies-not so much on Princess. I personally also missed the hand held shower.

We booked a mini-suite Deck 8, Emerald deck room 727 aft. This room was bigger than a regular balcony but smaller than a suite. It had two tv's and a sitting room that needs a new couch-it was very uncomfortable and a little worse for wear.

We found all staff very nice and helpful. We had excellent service but we don't know if this is because the ship was half empty or not. Our room steward was excellent as well.

The Captain was Todd McBain who is from Canada. We did have a bit of a problem regarding some technical difficulties on our 2nd day when we experienced a temporary loss of power for just under 2 hours. (8:15am-10:00am) The Captain kept everyone informed about every 15 minutes to re-assure everyone we were in no danger. Obviously the elevators

were out of service and there would be no hot breakfast but the staff was excellent in provided a cold breakfast. It did not cause us to be late for our port the next day and the seas were calm.

To find out about your shipboard account balance you could go to the kiosk by the front desk and swipe your card-a print out of your account was available. This meant not having to see staff unless you found a problem with your account.

I really liked that the fridge in our room was not stocked meaning we had lots of room for anything we might have brought with us. The room steward would fill the ice bucket every morning and early evening and place it in the fridge so we always had ice.

DISEMBARKATION:

This is a "silent" disembarkation. The night before you are given your tags and a schedule with when and where you go for disembarkation. Like the life drill, you meet in various locations around the ship. Again, we met in the Vista lounge which was one deck below our cabin. It was extremely efficient and when it was your time to disembark there were no

line-ups at all. They provided tea, coffee, juice in the waiting area.

FINAL NOTE:

As we were pulling into our home port of Vancouver there was a beautiful ship behind us-the Zaandam. I think I took more photos of her than I did of anything else! I think my heart still belongs to the Dam ships but would not hesitate to book a Princess cruise again either.