Norovirus compensation?

bobpell

The word debilitating sounds like you are thinking about a possible lawsuit.

I've gotten Noro and while miserable for about 5-8 hours it wasn't debilitating. I felt much better the next morning and a day later I was fine.

Considering that most Noro is brought on board by people that pick it up while traveling I would think that the blame should be on the carrier they used to get to the ship. People aren't contagious until symptoms start and believe me it starts quickly and without mercy. Now those that know they have it and continue to mingle about the ship- that is another story.....

I know this isn't the point of this thread but I believe it inaccurate to say that someone is not contagious until symptoms appear. It is my understanding Noro can be transmitted by those who are 'incubating' it as well as for some two weeks after symptoms have resolved. It is such a highly contagious illness and those are part of the reason.

I know this isn't the point of this thread but I believe it inaccurate to say that someone is not contagious until symptoms appear. It is my understanding Noro can be transmitted by those who are 'incubating' it as well as for some two weeks after symptoms have resolved. It is such a highly contagious illness and those are part of the reason.

I should have said that a person is most contagious once symptoms start. I've been "lucky" enough to catch it twice (both times at private homes) and it hit full force less than 24 hours after exposure. My doctor said that it normally incubates for a very short time- usually 12 to 48 hours. I never want it again and have become obsessive about keeping my hands away from my face and frequent hand washing.

Sadly, it could be stopped easily if all just practiced basic sanitation when using the restroom. I can't believe I still see people that finish in a restroom and just walk past the sink and out the door. I always use a paper towel on door and sink handles.

I read of a flight that got Noro so bad that the captain had to ake an emergency landing the lines for the bathroom were so long. Can you imagine? I wish I had the link.

That being said I can say there is a long term care facility in my area that has been 6 weeks with noro and two different types of virus running rampage though the place. It's quite common but terrible for the staff and residents.

Question: why don't land based resorts with client turnover like cruise ships get tagged with the same issues? You just don't hear about land based resorts like you do cruise ships?

I read of a flight that got Noro so bad that the captain had to ake an emergency landing the lines for the bathroom were so long. Can you imagine? I wish I had the link.

That being said I can say there is a long term care facility in my area that has been 6 weeks with noro and two different types of virus running rampage though the place. It's quite common but terrible for the staff and residents.

Question: why don't land based resorts with client turnover like cruise ships get tagged with the same issues? You just don't hear about land based resorts like you do cruise ships?

because CNN and Fox like talking about cruise ships with it. Land based resorts get it too - but they don't necessarily have as many people as some cruise ships. And for whatever reason, the news focuses on ships instead of resorts (maybe because the ships have to report? who knows?) Heck, we were at sea and still heard that the Princess ship was hit badly by NORO. Had to struggle to find out what happened in the Quebec election (thank you HAL for the Canadian) but the news was all over the Princess ship. go figure.

True, probably the rules are different for land based resorts. What does the CDC care or whatever regulatory oversight care if you get sick in the Dominican or airlines.

A perfect storm.

I'd still take a cruise over a land based borecation.

One should keep in mind that the incubation period for Noro is 1 - 2 days. This means that if it occurs on a plane the folks were exposed before they ever got to the airport. And when there are outbreaks on cruise ships during the first 2 days of a cruise it is likely that the virus was carried aboard by passengers (or new crew) at the embarkation port.

Hank

I can only imagine this if you could prove the cruise line was negligent.

Noro happens on land all of the time....I never hear of any compensation coming to parents of school children that bring it home.

The difference is that schools/hotels/resorts don't have to report it. Cruise lines do.

Schools, resorts and hotels have to report in CA if they start seeing an increase of kids ill, and resorts when an increase in food workers are ill. Schools are good at reporting. Most resorts do if food workers are ill but not always. Sometimes we heard about it from ill customers or concerned parents. We would always investigate and often found numerous food workers ill, and some health and safety code violations too in restaurants.

One should keep in mind that the incubation period for Noro is 1 - 2 days. This means that if it occurs on a plane the folks were exposed before they ever got to the airport. And when there are outbreaks on cruise ships during the first 2 days of a cruise it is likely that the virus was carried aboard by passengers (or new crew) at the embarkation port.

Hank

Correct. And other pathogens could be the culprit. For example, staph can have a short (1-6 hr.) incubation. The same good hand hygiene practices (and a few other means) can prevent the spread of staph.

With a few exceptions, you typically do not become contagious until you begin having symptoms and may, in some cases, remain contagious for up to 2 weeks after symptoms subside.

In the majority of cases diagnosis is made based on symptoms of the patient alone. While testing can be done to verify noro, this is generally not done unless the patient is immunocompromised. There is no treatment for noro, other than for relief of symptoms. Antibiotics will have no effect as noro is a virus, and antibiotics go after bacteria.

As all have heard time and again, the only real protection against noro is WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

I can only imagine this if you could prove the cruise line was negligent.

Noro happens on land all of the time....I never hear of any compensation coming to parents of school children that bring it home.

The difference is that schools/hotels/resorts don't have to report it. Cruise lines do.

i love your reply to this. great take, i feel the same.

Noro has become part of cruising. It may or may not occur. Thus, there is no compensation.

If it occurs the cruise lines are knowledgeable in how to deal with it. Passengers should be aware of how to deal with it also.

Hank

This is why HAL ships (maybe others, IDK) are in code orange for the first 2 days.

I should have said that a person is most contagious once symptoms start. I've been "lucky" enough to catch it twice (both times at private homes) and it hit full force less than 24 hours after exposure. My doctor said that it normally incubates for a very short time- usually 12 to 48 hours. I never want it again and have become obsessive about keeping my hands away from my face and frequent hand washing.

Sadly, it could be stopped easily if all just practiced basic sanitation when using the restroom. I can't believe I still see people that finish in a restroom and just walk past the sink and out the door. I always use a paper towel on door and sink handles.

After 17 cruises, I have not yet had Noro, thank goodness. However, just this past January, my husband and I attended a wedding and reception. Less than 48 hrs later, late at night I developed a weird headache and stomach discomfort. Oh my, from 11:30 p.m. until 4:00 a.m., it was my large metal mixing bowl and I, that were inseparable! It was horrible!

That being said, it goes without saying to wash hands as much as possible and to use your own stateroom bathroom whenever possible.

However, I did some research and found out that the Norovirus is a tough bugger. Not long ago, more than 50% of cheerleaders from around the country (at a cheer camp) came down with Noro. They found that someone had become 'sick' on the concourse (leading to practice area). The Health Dept concluded that the initial 'oops' was not properly cleaned up. Bleach solution is what is recommended.

After I recovered, I wiped down every conceivable surface in our home with a bleach solution, changed out the bathroom hand towels and kept family and friends out of the house for at least a week afterwards.

Has anyone that went through this debilitating sickness received compensation afterwards?

Thanks

bobpell

I actually thought that you were asking this tongue in cheek, but now believe you were serious..

My question is: why would you ever think that compensation is due? :confused:

If you have trip insurance, and you are quarantined due to illness, you can submit a claim for a per diem reimbursement for each day you are quarantined. We've had friends that did this.

Have not heard of this before.. Do all insurance companies cover the per diem or only certain ones?

Both DH & I were quarantined for two days because of something we had on our last long cruise.. Don't know if it was Noro, or not but had to go to the Medical office for pills..

I even forgot to submit the Medical bill.. If & when it happens again I'll be sure to submit the bill..

Cheers..

I actually thought that you were asking this tongue in cheek, but now believe you were serious..

My question is: why would you ever think that compensation is due? :confused:

Have not heard of this before.. Do all insurance companies cover the per diem or only certain ones?

Both DH & I were quarantined for two days because of something we had on our last long cruise.. Don't know if it was Noro, or not but had to go to the Medical office for pills..

I even forgot to submit the Medical bill.. If & when it happens again I'll be sure to submit the bill..

Cheers..

I am not under the impression OP thinks compensation is due; they are just asking IF anyone has been reimbursed under these conditions and the answer is emphatically YES, people have been reimbursed a per day cost for the days they have been quarantined. If you have trip insurance check your policy in regards to trip interruption or trip delay. As long as it can be documented that the quarantine was not self-imposed you have a good chance of recouping some costs.

Not directed at you, but shame on so many people in here for beating the daylights out of OP who was asking for information only. What a bunch of awful and disturbing responses...isn't this supposed to be a community of people who share information for the benefit of others?

I am not under the impression OP thinks compensation is due; they are just asking IF anyone has been reimbursed under these conditions and the answer is emphatically YES, people have been reimbursed a per day cost for the days they have been quarantined. If you have trip insurance check your policy in regards to trip interruption or trip delay. As long as it can be documented that the quarantine was not self-imposed you have a good chance of recouping some costs.

Not directed at you, but shame on so many people in here for beating the daylights out of OP who was asking for information only. What a bunch of awful and disturbing responses...isn't this supposed to be a community of people who share information for the benefit of others?

In my opinion when the OP asked about "compensation" it was meant as coming from the cruise line, not insurance. I don't associate "compensation" with "insurance".

In my opinion when the OP asked about "compensation" it was meant as coming from the cruise line, not insurance. I don't associate "compensation" with "insurance".

I use a more literal meaning for compensation; to mean remunerating. In that sense it certainly has happened before. To compensate for something is to balance out for a loss. If you have a loss of vacation time, an interruption, and your insurance covers you for that event....you would be compensated. Insurance can't promise my car will not be involved in an accident, but I will be compensated if it IS in an accident.

If OP came here and said "I got sick, the cruise line OWES me. They did nothing. Who else got theirs, I want to get mine." I could see people jumping on their back. But that was definitely not the case. OP was just asking for information; either people have gotten or have not gotten compensated in the past for this.

Despite a great amount of the people in here expressing their opinions on the matter of what is deserved or not, the facts fall on a different side. Let's give the OP the facts and let them draw their own conclusions.

I agree. Compensation brings to mind the cruise line and not an insurer.

I agree. Compensation brings to mind the cruise line and not an insurer.

Especially when discussed here on Cruise Critic (or any place cruise related). I see insurance more as "reimbursement".

Merriam-Webster:

Compensate:

1 : to be equivalent to : counterbalance 2 : to make an appropriate and usually counterbalancing payment to <compensate the victims for their loss> 3 a : to provide with means of counteracting variation b : to neutralize the effect of (variations)

intransitive verb

1 : to supply an equivalent —used with for 2 : to offset an error, defect, or undesired effect <his enthusiasm compensates for his lack of skill> 3 : to undergo or engage in psychological or physiological compensation

Edited by Boytjie

Especially when discussed here on Cruise Critic (or any place cruise related). I see insurance more as "reimbursement".

If the OP had titled the thread "Norovirus Reimbursement" and then typed

"Has anyone that went through this debilitating sickness received reimbursement afterwards?

Thanks

bobpell"

do you think they would have received such negative attitude and opinion or would people have begun replying with facts relating to insurance instead?

OP, sorry so many people had to be rude to you. I hope you had trip insurance and are able to seek and secure recompense, compensation, money, remuneration, reimbursement, pay back, or any other word or phrase meaning the same damn thing:rolleyes: Didn't realize it was Thesaurus night on CC.

We were recently on a Noordam cruise and my husband was quarantined for 2 days with noro. He did receive a per day compensation according to the rate of our room in shipboard credit. Of course, we did not ask for it but the nurse at the clinic told us we would. We were notified of the amount by E-Mail after we got home. A wonderful gesture on their part.