early but..church services?

What are the church services like for Christmas Eve? We are on first ever Christmas week cruise!!!!!! But church is important to me....thanks your help....

On the Vision....

What I have been told (not saying this is 100 % correct) if you are interested in hosting a church service they will help you by setting aside a room and putting it in the daily newsletter. I don't know if these arrangements need to be made ahead of time or on the ship or what. Or if they even still do this, but for Christmas Eve it sure would be nice to have a service and I'm sure others on the ship would feel the same. :)

If there is a priest sailing on your cruise, he will probably say a public Mass daily and the information will be printed in the daily Cruise Compass. For ecumenical services, there may be a lay person onboard who can volunteer to lead the service and oftentimes the CD or ship's personnel will help in making the arrangement. Check your daily Cruise Compass or with Guest Services for specific details on the various types of religious services that may be available on your cruise.

This is one of my problems with the cruise lines. It would be so simple to have a staff member lead a simple ecumenical service. A cappella hymns, scripture and prayer, followed by fellowship. That's all you need. Years ago, RCCL did this and it was fine.

This is one of my problems with the cruise lines. It would be so simple to have a staff member lead a simple ecumenical service. A cappella hymns, scripture and prayer, followed by fellowship. That's all you need. Years ago, RCCL did this and it was fine.

As a Christian woman I agree that church services would be appropriate! I especially think Christmas and Easter! As for the remainder of the year however I think the problem is they would be not showing equality amonst religions.....remember not everyone shares our beliefs and the next thing you know people will complain that there is not other services for other religious beliefs.

Get discussing this on your roll call. We did a cruise over Easter once. It turned out a minister was traveling that week. We had early morning bible study them did a sunrise Easter service before arriving in port. It was wonderful.

Sent from my HTC One X using Forums mobile app

As a Christian woman I agree that church services would be appropriate! I especially think Christmas and Easter! As for the remainder of the year however I think the problem is they would be not showing equality amonst religions.....remember not everyone shares our beliefs and the next thing you know people will complain that there is not other services for other religious beliefs.

Some say this is what scares the cruise lines. But I note that on every cruise I have been on, Sabbath services have been offered to those of the Jewish faith. Every cruise! So RCCL is not afraid to offer Jewish services. And good for them. But if that is the case, it seems to me they also could offer Christian services, at the very least a place to gather on a Sunday morning!

...Every cruise! So RCCL is not afraid to offer Jewish services....

They also play a video in either the cinema or the theater on Sunday mornings, for a non-denominational service. Christmas for the OP - not sure if anything formal would be planned but understood it is an important time for Christians. :)

Some say this is what scares the cruise lines. But I note that on every cruise I have been on, Sabbath services have been offered to those of the Jewish faith. Every cruise! So RCCL is not afraid to offer Jewish services. And good for them. But if that is the case, it seems to me they also could offer Christian services, at the very least a place to gather on a Sunday morning!

I think most of the Jewish services are organized and run by passengers who want the service. RCI only provides a meeting spot. We have cruised with friends and the DH is a rabbi(i am not Jewish so have not attended, personally). He has led the services sometimes, but not always. Other times it was led by regular passengers who were not rabbis.:)

I think most of the Jewish services are organized and run by passengers who want the service. RCI only provides a meeting spot. We have cruised with friends and the DH is a rabbi(i am not Jewish so have not attended, personally). He has led the services sometimes, but not always. Other times it was led by regular passengers who were not rabbis.:)

Hi Rala! What you say is fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. So why not provide a sign up sheet for Christians who would like to get together?

Edited by yogimax

Exactly, but then you may have Buddhists, Hindus, or other faiths that may get upset that only Christian faiths are represented, and the cruise line could face lawsuits. I actually think that the cruise lines should stay completely out of it. For their best interest, they should simply advise that there are no religious services available whatsoever, and that if missing a religious service one time is going to have a large implication, then maybe said passengers should not travel. If the cruise lines condone, lets say, a Christian service, then they need to be prepared to offer Catholic, Presbyterian, Protestant, Baptist, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Adventist, Muslim, Jehovah Witness, etc. services to be able to please everyone's religious requirements. That simply is not going to happen. I myself am Christian, and I firmly believe that my God understands that I may not be near a church and cannot always attend. If my God doesn't see that, then I would guess that He in fact does not have unconditional love for His children. I also don't feel that praising God or any other being or deity is solely dependent on your presence in a dedicated building for worship. I believe that what is in your heart is what matters most, not whether or not you show up to a big building every Saturday/Sunday. I would feel safe knowing that my God still loves me if I am unable to make it to a service, though other beliefs may well be different.

Exactly, but then you may have Buddhists, Hindus, or other faiths that may get upset that only Christian faiths are represented, and the cruise line could face lawsuits. I actually think that the cruise lines should stay completely out of it. For their best interest, they should simply advise that there are no religious services available whatsoever, and that if missing a religious service one time is going to have a large implication, then maybe said passengers should not travel. If the cruise lines condone, lets say, a Christian service, then they need to be prepared to offer Catholic, Presbyterian, Protestant, Baptist, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Adventist, Muslim, Jehovah Witness, etc. services to be able to please everyone's religious requirements. That simply is not going to happen. I myself am Christian, and I firmly believe that my God understands that I may not be near a church and cannot always attend. If my God doesn't see that, then I would guess that He in fact does not have unconditional love for His children. I also don't feel that praising God or any other being or deity is solely dependent on your presence in a dedicated building for worship. I believe that what is in your heart is what matters most, not whether or not you show up to a big building every Saturday/Sunday. I would feel safe knowing that my God still loves me if I am unable to make it to a service, though other beliefs may well be different.

Given that the ships are not flagged in the US they would not be under any threat of lawsuits no matter what they decided.

Given that the ships are not flagged in the US they would not be under any threat of lawsuits no matter what they decided.

That's a good point that I had not considered. However, the cruise lines' parent offices are on US soil. Would that not subject the corporation to US laws, though not the ship's themselves?

That's a good point that I had not considered. However, the cruise lines' parent offices are on US soil. Would that not subject the corporation to US laws, though not the ship's themselves?

I think that only actual employees and offices that are based on US soil would be subject to any US laws or litigation. There would be many things that happen on a ship that would be subject to litigation in the US if the ships were US flagged. minimum wage rules and hours worked are just 2 that come to mind. Like all cruise lines they seem to be good at finding flags of convenience so that they can operate them at a greater profit.

I think that only actual employees and offices that are based on US soil would be subject to any US laws or litigation. There would be many things that happen on a ship that would be subject to litigation in the US if the ships were US flagged. minimum wage rules and hours worked are just 2 that come to mind. Like all cruise lines they seem to be good at finding flags of convenience so that they can operate them at a greater profit.
That may very well be the case then....

What are the church services like for Christmas Eve? We are on first ever Christmas week cruise!!!!!! But church is important to me....thanks your help....

On the Vision....

that will depend ENTIRELY on the priest or other Clergy person who is on board could be none. could be a Protestant Minister who retired ten years ago and got a free berth so he could conduct a minimalist non denominational service at midnight.

if you absolutely have to have the candlelight service at Midnight, do not sail over Christmas. we were on GR last year and there was a Catholic priest on board, but there were a grand total of 2 services offered in the daily planner.. one at midnight and then one at like 8 am.

Hi Rala! What you say is fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. So why not provide a sign up sheet for Christians who would like to get together?

I totally agree! This would work well for most Protestant groups, but I think Roman Catholic masses require an ordained priest. If I am wrong in this last assumption, I am sure someone will let me know. :)